or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 110

post #3271 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

No matter which MKV I throw at it, the WD will eventually choke on it and freeze. These same files play fine on my HTPC through MediaBrowser.

Don't have anyone that I could test with. I also received a reply back from WD, they are suggesting a replacement due to it getting extremely hot. I just filled out the RMA request form so now it's a waiting game.

Toys

How long have you owned it and were did you buy it. I returned a couple to OfficeMax before I got one that worked properly
post #3272 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

ReMux one into an m2ts container and try it.

Bill

Is there an easy guide on how to use this thing? I don't know what I am doing here......

Toys
post #3273 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

Is there an easy guide on how to use this thing? I don't know what I am doing here......

Toys

It's really easy

Get tsMuxeR from here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

launch tsMuxerGUI

click the Add button and select your MKV file

Select M2TS muxing under Output

Click the Start muxing button

Done!
post #3274 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

Hi there, maybe someone here can help me with my problem wink.gif

I have an Windows Server 2012 Essentials with all my movies on an internal hard drive. Accessing the server with my wdtv smp is working fine (changed the workgroup to my domain on the wdtv and created an own user for the wdtv on my server).

A few days ago I activated the media library and after two days the entry of the media library finally showed up, but now everytime I restart the wdtv oder wake it up from a deep standby the media library won't show up. When I access my network share it says: "There are no files in this folder".
I can fix this by deleting the networking-access information and retype my username and password..but I have to do this everytime I start the wdtv.
When I disable the media library I can access the network shares (via Samba) without a problem after restarting the wdtv..so it really seems to be an media library issue frown.gif

Some ideas? Something I could test?


smile.gif Thanks

Tiggel



Hi there,

i switched to a Windows 7 Computer for streaming to the wdtv now...and the problem still occurs.
I activate the media library, adding my folders to it -> I can access the media library and everything seems to be fine. Then I shut down or restart the wdtv, a screen shows up "The last used source has been removed..." (or similar) and I need to choose another source. The media library won't show up then and when I try to open my network shares it says "There are nor media files in this folder"...

Sometimes I can't even access my network shares anymore with the media library turned on, after rebooting the wdtv I get the message of a wrong username or password..disabling the media library and restarting the wdtv fixes the problem frown.gif
Some ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Tiggel
post #3275 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

I have noticed this thing gets extremely HOT and am wondering if this is causing the unit to freeze? Anyone chime in on how temperature hot your unit gets? Mine is almost burning, you need to pull your hand off the top after a couple of seconds.
Replace it. It should be nowhere NEAR that hot. Mine can play full-HD MKVs all day long and it's just slightly warmer than ambient. If I had to guess, I'd say it's no warmer than 110 degrees at the most. Too bad I don't have an IR thermometer to check. smile.gif
post #3276 of 4686
Quote:
I have noticed this thing gets extremely HOT and am wondering if this is causing the unit to freeze? Anyone chime in on how temperature hot your unit gets? Mine is almost burning, you need to pull your hand off the top after a couple of seconds.

I can confirm that when they get slightly hot they will lock up. I have had 2 units now that did this. Once they start they are cooked and will constantly lockup. I even moved mine form the closet and put a dedicated fan on it while it was on and it didn't matter.
post #3277 of 4686
My TV Live died on me the other day. I detailed it over on WD forum hoping for some advice and ideas, and have tried everything I could find to no avail. http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/Is-My-WD-TV-Live-Toast/m-p/595353#M23270 Please note when it failed I found it very hot, as I had it on top of a Slingbox that also runs hot. Won't make that mistake again.

I've decided to replace it with a Blu-Ray player from Costco with streaming capabilities, probably the Samsung FM59C. If that doesn't work out, such as not playing AVI files or not being picked up by my Windows 7 "Play To" feature, I'll return it as I don't do DVDs anymore and probably order another TV Live.
post #3278 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post

My TV Live died on me the other day. I detailed it over on WD forum hoping for some advice and ideas, and have tried everything I could find to no avail. http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/Is-My-WD-TV-Live-Toast/m-p/595353#M23270 Please note when it failed I found it very hot, as I had it on top of a Slingbox that also runs hot. Won't make that mistake again.

I've decided to replace it with a Blu-Ray player from Costco with streaming capabilities, probably the Samsung FM59C. If that doesn't work out, such as not playing AVI files or not being picked up by my Windows 7 "Play To" feature, I'll return it as I don't do DVDs anymore and probably order another TV Live.

I have wandered away from the WDHD a few times, but always came back. Good luck.
post #3279 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post

I've decided to replace it with a Blu-Ray player from Costco with streaming capabilities, probably the Samsung FM59C. If that doesn't work out, such as not playing AVI files or not being picked up by my Windows 7 "Play To" feature, I'll return it as I don't do DVDs anymore and probably order another TV Live.
BluRay players used as streamers only act as DLNA clients and they all support Cinavia.
post #3280 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post

My TV Live died on me the other day. I detailed it over on WD forum hoping for some advice and ideas, and have tried everything I could find to no avail. http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/Is-My-WD-TV-Live-Toast/m-p/595353#M23270 Please note when it failed I found it very hot, as I had it on top of a Slingbox that also runs hot. Won't make that mistake again.

I've decided to replace it with a Blu-Ray player from Costco with streaming capabilities, probably the Samsung FM59C. If that doesn't work out, such as not playing AVI files or not being picked up by my Windows 7 "Play To" feature, I'll return it as I don't do DVDs anymore and probably order another TV Live.

you get used boxee box on ebay for less than 50, which is lot better than wdtv
post #3281 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

[quote name="Tiggel" url="/t/1364999/official-wd-tv-live-streaming-media-player-thread/3120#post_23683703"]Hi there, maybe someone here can help me with my problem wink.gif I have an Windows Server 2012 Essentials with all my movies on an internal hard drive. Accessing the server with my wdtv smp is working fine (changed the workgroup to my domain on the wdtv and created an own user for the wdtv on my server).A few days ago I activated the media library and after two days the entry of the media library finally showed up, but now everytime I restart the wdtv oder wake it up from a deep standby the media library won't show up. When I access my network share it says: "There are no files in this folder".I can fix this by deleting the networking-access information and retype my username and password..but I have to do this everytime I start the wdtv.When I disable the media library I can access the network shares (via Samba) without a problem after restarting the wdtv..so it really seems to be an media library issue :(Some ideas? Something I could test?:) ThanksTiggel[/quote]Hi there,i switched to a Windows 7 Computer for streaming to the wdtv now...and the problem still occurs.I activate the media library, adding my folders to it -> I can access the media library and everything seems to be fine. Then I shut down or restart the wdtv, a screen shows up "The last used source has been removed..." (or similar) and I need to choose another source. The media library won't show up then and when I try to open my network shares it says "There are nor media files in this folder"...Sometimes I can't even access my network shares anymore with the media library turned on, after rebooting the wdtv I get the message of a wrong username or password..disabling the media library and restarting the wdtv fixes the problem :( Some ideas?Thanks a lot,Tiggel

You can try assigning static ips to every single device in your network. This should do the trick.

Sent from my M9 using Tapatalk 2
post #3282 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

you get used boxee box on ebay for less than 50, which is lot better than wdtv
Oh here goes another Vendor X versus Vendor Y claim... Forget the fact that Boxee is all but dead after a few short years.... rolleyes.gif
post #3283 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

BluRay players used as streamers only act as DLNA clients and they all support Cinavia.

My blu-ray player supports smb (network shares). It is an OPPO 103.
post #3284 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

No matter which MKV I throw at it, the WD will eventually choke on it and freeze.

Your WDTV has got to be messed up. I have *never* had a freeze during play and I have played a lot of files made in a variety of ways. Return or warranty that sucker. It should "just work."
post #3285 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

My blu-ray player supports smb (network shares). It is an OPPO 103.
Yeah, I knew someone would say Oppo. But when he was talking about a BD player from Costco I figured a $500 Oppo wasn't in the running. The garden variety players don't do SMB.
post #3286 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yeah, I knew someone would say Oppo. But when he was talking about a BD player from Costco I figured a $500 Oppo wasn't in the running. The garden variety players don't do SMB.

Yeah. After I replied I realized that it might be the only one that does SMB and probably should not have said anything.
post #3287 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggel View Post

Hi there,

i switched to a Windows 7 Computer for streaming to the wdtv now...and the problem still occurs.
I activate the media library, adding my folders to it -> I can access the media library and everything seems to be fine. Then I shut down or restart the wdtv, a screen shows up "The last used source has been removed..." (or similar) and I need to choose another source. The media library won't show up then and when I try to open my network shares it says "There are nor media files in this folder"...

Sometimes I can't even access my network shares anymore with the media library turned on, after rebooting the wdtv I get the message of a wrong username or password..disabling the media library and restarting the wdtv fixes the problem frown.gif
Some ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Tiggel

I have had this issue in the past due to Master Browser problems on my network. Seen it with all three of my WD devices, HUB, SMP and Live+, and after no problems for a while, had it on the SMP this weekend. As posted above, static IP adresses for all your devices and computer is a good start. When I have the issue, I bring down all the devices and my computers. I then re-boot my file server first since I want it to be the MB (and have it set to Preferred Master), then my next server (playon/plex DLNA), Once those are fully up, I turn on the WD devices and my laptop(s) and everything will work fine again.

Yeah, it's a pain to bring it all down and up again, but at least in my case, I leave the file server on all the time, so it should stay the MB from there on, and the problem does not occur for me from there on. This most recent issue this weekend was the first time since I figured out the above fix 6 or 7 months ago, and at the time I was doing some stuff on the SMP that may have caused the problem (had telneted to the box and was changing some of the internal variables).

Hope this helps.

-P
post #3288 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yeah, I knew someone would say Oppo. But when he was talking about a BD player from Costco I figured a $500 Oppo wasn't in the running. The garden variety players don't do SMB.

Guess it depends on what you mean by Garden Variety. Many of the LG BD players support SMB.
post #3289 of 4686
It is likely a master browser issues as others have said. I encountered it with my old Linksys/Cisco E4200.

Bill
post #3290 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Guess it depends on what you mean by Garden Variety. Many of the LG BD players support SMB.
That, I was not aware of.
post #3291 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Your WDTV has got to be messed up. I have *never* had a freeze during play and I have played a lot of files made in a variety of ways. Return or warranty that sucker. It should "just work."

Already have the RMA process in the works.............

Toys
post #3292 of 4686
Just to update my quest for a SMP to replace my WD Live that croaked. I bought a Samsung BD-FM59C at Costco for about $109 today. Setup was very quick, with an ethernet connection to my router. It found my NAS files and allocated them to the broad categories of Photos, Videos and Music with viewing by folder, date and other factors. I have yet to find out how to select and edit which folders I want listed, and without that it's an unacceptable mess.

I was able to stream music and video files to it from my Win7 laptop using the Play To function, but trying to find a video file on the NAS using its menu to do the same thing is very difficult. It does have a slew of apps for viewing and using websites like YouTube and Panadora, and is quite a change from my previous dumb DVD player.

Bottom line so far is that if I can't get the folder and selection methods under control, it will be taken back and I'll go back to Plan B of another WD Live. BTW, Costco also has the Roku 3 which has gotten good reviews but it only has a single output, an HDMI, and that won't work for my music listening needs and my old receiver.
post #3293 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post

Just to update my quest for a SMP to replace my WD Live that croaked. I bought a Samsung BD-FM59C at Costco for about $109 today. Setup was very quick, with an ethernet connection to my router. It found my NAS files and allocated them to the broad categories of Photos, Videos and Music with viewing by folder, date and other factors. I have yet to find out how to select and edit which folders I want listed, and without that it's an unacceptable mess.

I was able to stream music and video files to it from my Win7 laptop using the Play To function, but trying to find a video file on the NAS using its menu to do the same thing is very difficult. It does have a slew of apps for viewing and using websites like YouTube and Panadora, and is quite a change from my previous dumb DVD player.

Bottom line so far is that if I can't get the folder and selection methods under control, it will be taken back and I'll go back to Plan B of another WD Live. BTW, Costco also has the Roku 3 which has gotten good reviews but it only has a single output, an HDMI, and that won't work for my music listening needs and my old receiver.

You could always give Mezzmo a try for a DLNA server to feed the Samsung.

Bill
post #3294 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

My blu-ray player supports smb (network shares). It is an OPPO 103.
And it supports Cinvavia which immediately leaves it dead in the water. As does the fact that Oppo can't support PGS subs (the standard on Blu-Rays) in MKVs. What a joke.
post #3295 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

And it supports Cinvavia which immediately leaves it dead in the water. As does the fact that Oppo can't support PGS subs (the standard on Blu-Rays) in MKVs. What a joke.

I have never had any trouble playing mkv's on my 103 using SMB. f you have a 103 and it has problems, I guess I should find out what you are doing to have the problems.
post #3296 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

I have never had any trouble playing mkv's on my 103 using SMB. f you have a 103 and it has problems, I guess I should find out what you are doing to have the problems.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic. And, I usually use my WDTV instead of the 103 for streaming.
post #3297 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPearl View Post

I have had this issue in the past due to Master Browser problems on my network. Seen it with all three of my WD devices, HUB, SMP and Live+, and after no problems for a while, had it on the SMP this weekend. As posted above, static IP adresses for all your devices and computer is a good start. When I have the issue, I bring down all the devices and my computers. I then re-boot my file server first since I want it to be the MB (and have it set to Preferred Master), then my next server (playon/plex DLNA), Once those are fully up, I turn on the WD devices and my laptop(s) and everything will work fine again.

Yeah, it's a pain to bring it all down and up again, but at least in my case, I leave the file server on all the time, so it should stay the MB from there on, and the problem does not occur for me from there on. This most recent issue this weekend was the first time since I figured out the above fix 6 or 7 months ago, and at the time I was doing some stuff on the SMP that may have caused the problem (had telneted to the box and was changing some of the internal variables).

Hope this helps.

-P

Thanks a lot! I will try this this evening, it really sounds like a pain in the...you know, but this is Microsoft rolleyes.gif

I already assigned static IP's to all my devices so I try the Master Browsing problem.

Thanks to all who replied smile.gif
post #3298 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post

I have never had any trouble playing mkv's on my 103 using SMB.
So the 103 DOES display PGS subs embedded in MKVs?
post #3299 of 4686
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my WD TV Live. Every time when I select "Get Content Info" on a movie (what I just copied over to my external HDD) I get a Network Not Available error message. The strange thing is that the network is just fine, I can watch Youtube, etc. Even when I tried to remove content info from an older movie and search for it again it works fine. The problem occurs only when I try to download content info for a recently added movies.

Any idea about this issue?
post #3300 of 4686
That error is misleading and likely has nothing to do with the network.

What filename are you trying to get the info for? Is your firmware up to date?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread