or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 142

post #4231 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Chapter points are contained in the .mpls playlist file in a BD.iso. The Live-SMP doesn't support chapter skip in BD.iso. It does have skip to time which I find far more useful than chapter skip.

I don't understand this, Kelson. According to Techflaws and the vague changlog on WD's website, it appears that they improved playback of seamless branching titles. How is this possible without reading the .mpls files? EDIT: Unless, like you said in the other forum, they are indeed reading the mpls but not utilizing the chapter points. Which, is stupid if true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

Sorry, my damn auto correct struck again. It was supposed to be Super HD. The bitrate is 58000. Also, does it play the 3D Netflix titles?

Netflix has a page that lists supported devices. Would be surprised to see any streamer on there before set-top dvd players. Just my feelings though. My Sony BD player supports it and IIRC, I watched some dexter episodes that had it. It looked good. Very close to a BD disc. But nothing to base a purchase off of. Just my 2 ¢.
Edited by johnBlanker - 1/22/14 at 10:15am
post #4232 of 4686
Sometimes when turning on the WDTV smp my screen flashes and sometimes get this weird looking picture (pic attached). It lasts for 5-10 seconds. Then the player starts and it's fine. Is this normal? Could be my receiver...

post #4233 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

I don't understand this, Kelson. According to Techflaws and the vague changlog on WD's website, it appears that they improved playback of seamless branching titles. How is this possible without reading the .mpls files? EDIT: Unless, like you said in the other forum, they are indeed reading the mpls but not utilizing the chapter points. Which, is stupid if true.
Your thoughts reflect my own, which is why I wrote in the other thread that I find it odd that WD would go through the trouble of implementing support for BD playlists to handle seamless branching and yet not bother to support the chapter points that are also in the playlist. It seems incongruous -- enough that I would like to see the observation reproduced and verified. I don't typically rip main titles to BD.iso and I use Clown_BD to concatenate all my seamless branched titles, but the next time I rip a seamless branched title I'll make it a point to take a look at the BD.iso of unjoined segments. I'm curious enough to want to reproduce and verify the observation myself -- I'm a Scientist, that's what we do.
Edited by Kelson - 1/22/14 at 10:41am
post #4234 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Sometimes when turning on the WDTV smp my screen flashes and sometimes get this weird looking picture (pic attached). It lasts for 5-10 seconds. Then the player starts and it's fine. Is this normal? Could be my receiver...
I've never seen that, but it could be an effect of the order in which you turn components on -- HDMI handshaking can be sensitive to that. My AVR is alwys the first component to get powered up, followed by the display. Components that plug into the AVR via HDMI are always powered after the AVR is on.
post #4235 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I've never seen that, but it could be an effect of the order in which you turn components on -- HDMI handshaking can be sensitive to that. My AVR is alwys the first component to get powered up, followed by the display. Components that plug into the AVR via HDMI are always powered after the AVR is on.

I found the opposite for my WD TV Live Plus. In order to get proper hdmi handsaking problem corrected, the AVR had to be the last component to be turned on. I guess it depends on which version of HDMI is being used
post #4236 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I was under the impression that DLNA used UDP protocol.

Hi there
Just my 2cents about DLNA vs SMB shares:
Both of them use the network protocol IP (upper layer), but they use different transport protocol (lower leyer): SMB uses TCP, whereas DLNA uses UDP. So DLNA is not another thing over the windows share, is a different -and simpler- route.

UDP is a transport protocol with less/no acknowledgment, focused to communications in one main direction (not both). DLNA is an relatively recent, efficient STREAMING protocol and it relies on UDP because it's the way to go. Older network sharing protocols based upon TCP, were designed with focus on data integrity and they generate a lot of acknowledgment traffic (overhead). Most were specified for sharing small documents in offices (read-write) decades before the streaming concept appeared.

Best of all, as DLNA UDP traffic goes one-way, is very convenient for wifi or powerline networks where the downlink throughput (from server to client) is usually greater than the uplink one.

Regards
post #4237 of 4686
Am looking at buying this, but had a question first. Sorry if this has been discussed....did a search through the forum on NAS, but only came up with those wanting to use a standalone NAS with WDTV Live.

My question is if it is possible to use the WDTV Live as a NAS as well? What I mean is if I hook my 3tb desktop drive to the USB port on the WDTV Live, I am able to access the media content on the drive to my receiver/tv - however, I am also able to access that drive as a networked drive on my computer? Specifically, if it helps, can I play my FLAC files via MediaMonkey on my computer by accessing them through the network stream?

HDD>WDTV Live>Network>Laptop>MediaMonkey

Thanks for the help....Darren
post #4238 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFast View Post

Hi there
Just my 2cents about DLNA vs SMB shares:
Thanks for the useful clarification.
post #4239 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing327 View Post

My question is if it is possible to use the WDTV Live as a NAS as well?
Kinda', yes, maybe?

If you attach a USB drive to the Live-SMP you can go into the settings menu and turn on the network aware feature. The WD Live will then appear on you network and list the attached drive as a network share. It can be accessed from your PC for Read/Write operations so you can do remote file maintenance and send new rips to the WD's HDD without having to sneaker-net the drive. The down-side is that Read/Write operations are horribly slow. The Live-SMP was not designed to operate as a NAS unit and feed streams to other components -- it just doesn't have the horsepower. The Live-HUB was designed to do that but is now defunct -- it is off the WD website and never got an update to implement DTS-HD passthrough. Music is relatively low bitrate compared to video so it may work for you. Only way to know is to try.
post #4240 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Kinda', yes, maybe?

If you attach a USB drive to the Live-SMP you can go into the settings menu and turn on the network aware feature. The WD Live will then appear on you network and list the attached drive as a network share. It can be accessed from your PC for Read/Write operations so you can do remote file maintenance and send new rips to the WD's HDD without having to sneaker-net the drive. The down-side is that Read/Write operations are horribly slow. The Live-SMP was not designed to operate as a NAS unit and feed streams to other components -- it just doesn't have the horsepower. The Live-HUB was designed to do that but is now defunct -- it is off the WD website and never got an update to implement DTS-HD passthrough. Music is relatively low bitrate compared to video so it may work for you. Only way to know is to try.

Thanks for the thoughts...I will pick one up and give it a try.
post #4241 of 4686
it will probably take over 2 hours to transfer the contents of a BD rip.

RE: DLNA, it won't support dvd menu though, last I checked. Big deal breakers for us Kelson since we rely of tv dvd iso rips for their internal menus.
post #4242 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

it will probably take over 2 hours to transfer the contents of a BD rip.

RE: DLNA, it won't support dvd menu though, last I checked. Big deal breakers for us Kelson since we rely of tv dvd iso rips for their internal menus.
I have far more DVD.iso than I have BD.m2ts rips. My DVD.iso are all TV shows so I depend on the menu to select an episode. I stream all my DVD.iso using Network Shares protocol and all my BD.m2ts using DLNA. Nothing says you can't use both as appropriate.
post #4243 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFast View Post

Hi there
Just my 2cents about DLNA vs SMB shares:
Both of them use the network protocol IP (upper layer), but they use different transport protocol (lower leyer): SMB uses TCP, whereas DLNA uses UDP.

Where are you getting this info? It's almost certainly wrong. DLNA uses HTTP (The same protocol webservers use.) HTTP is TCP based, not UDP.

Attached is a wireshark capture of my PC doing a DLNA stream from my NAS of a movie:

It is HTTP over TCP/IP, not UDP...
post #4244 of 4686
I believe DLNA uses UPnP which runs HTTP on top of UDP.
post #4245 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I believe DLNA uses UPnP which runs HTTP on top of UDP.

Yes, DLNA makes use UPnP 1.0 and 1.1 components, and does use UDP for service discovery and advertisement (which uses a type of HTTP broadcast over UDP, since TCP doesn't support broadcasts.)

But all streaming tasks are done over TCP.

I did a quick Google and found a decent slide deck which shows how it all works:

http://www.slideshare.net/SatishAbbu/dlna-for-dummies

Slide 17 shows the specifics.
post #4246 of 4686
Hey gang:

I sold my Live last year due to it not doing DTS HD and I wanted chapter skip...but something is telling me that there was something else I didn't like about it. ???

It DOES downmix everything to stereo, right? Else I can't see why I didn't use it on my bedroom tv, at least. Hmmmm confused.gif

(as many are aware wink.gif ) I have a PCH A400 that I've run into terrible buffering issues and I at least want to try another SMP to rule some things out, so I figured I'd grab one of these, trouble shoot, and then stick it in the bedroom.

Am I missing anything, here.? What a great player for $60-$90.

James
post #4247 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hey gang:

I sold my Live last year due to it not doing DTS HD and I wanted chapter skip...but something is telling me that there was something else I didn't like about it. ???

It DOES downmix everything to stereo, right? Else I can't see why I didn't use it on my bedroom tv, at least. Hmmmm confused.gif

(as many are aware wink.gif ) I have a PCH A400 that I've run into terrible buffering issues and I at least want to try another SMP to rule some things out, so I figured I'd grab one of these, trouble shoot, and then stick it in the bedroom.

Am I missing anything, here.? What a great player for $60-$90.

James

It doesn't dowmix to stereo if you have an AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD. I bitstream DTS-HD straight to my AVR and it works great. Now movies that are recorded at 24p have issues, 23.976 play fine..but I'm avoiding the 24p thing all together since I can't handle frame duplication or stuttering and just running it at 60hz and it plays great.
post #4248 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkonfuzion View Post

It doesn't dowmix to stereo if you have an AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD. I bitstream DTS-HD straight to my AVR and it works great. Now movies that are recorded at 24p have issues, 23.976 play fine..but I'm avoiding the 24p thing all together since I can't handle frame duplication or stuttering and just running it at 60hz and it plays great.

Sure it will, if you set it to stereo. He was asking specifically about hooking it to a television though.

Bill
post #4249 of 4686
Oh damn..I shouldn't have responded before my coffee. I'm sorry he's right! ^^^
post #4250 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

It DOES downmix everything to stereo, right? Else I can't see why I didn't use it on my bedroom tv, at least. Hmmmm confused.gif
If you use HDMI to attach to your bedroom TV the two will negotiate what kind of sound the TV can handle and go from there. All my BD.m2ts contain only the DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track. I have one of my units plugged into the monitor I use for my PC (HDMI) and it only has a single speaker. The Live negotiates and sends it what it can play so that I get full sound out of the monitor.
post #4251 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you use HDMI to attach to your bedroom TV the two will negotiate what kind of sound the TV can handle and go from there. All my BD.m2ts contain only the DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track. I have one of my units plugged into the monitor I use for my PC (HDMI) and it only has a single speaker. The Live negotiates and sends it what it can play so that I get full sound out of the monitor.

Thanks Kelson. And of course this makes sense, but I cannot escape my faulty recollection that keeps telling me it would not do so with TrueHD. It's a shame too, cause that's the ONLY reason I didn't hold onto it for my bedroom...the fact that it wouldn't downmix TrueHD tracks to stereo is obviously a BIG problem going straight to a TV. tongue.gif

Wow, what a waste. Mrfattbill told me that WAS an issue with the PLUS but it has since been updated. I probably confused the two at the time, but MAN... I KNEW I had the SMP and cannot believe I did so, consequently.

DUH.

thanks again.

James
post #4252 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Thanks Kelson. And of course this makes sense, but I cannot escape my faulty recollection that keeps telling me it would not do so with TrueHD.
...the fact that it wouldn't downmix TrueHD tracks to stereo is obviously a BIG problem going straight to a TV. tongue.gif

Mrfattbill told me that WAS an issue with the PLUS but it has since been updated

I have both the Live plus and Live-SMP -- both with the most recent firmware. I plugged both of them into my single speaker PC monitor via HDMI. Both have audio set for HDMI-only pass-through. I did a quick test of a few TrueHD titles -- Brave.m2ts, Monsters University.m2ts and The Dark Knight.m2ts. All played fine with audio on both units streaming into the PC monitor.

So just for your info, I don't see any problems with either unit downconveting both DTS-HD and True-HD to play on a low-end target. If there is on your end, it is most likely your target display not properly negotiating with the Live.
post #4253 of 4686

OOOPS, this was to Darkwing, forgot to quote him.

 

Just to confirm.  I have a 3 tb hd connected to my WDTV SMP and I downloaded a program from WD called WD discovery.  It lets you map that HD to your computer but it is awful for transferring files.  If, let's say, you wanted to download a 1 gb file to your computer and then later transfer it the the WD's hd, that second transfer will take quite a while.  Therefore, when I download I download directly to the HD. 

 

Just an FYI, there is a 'soft off' and a 'hard off' on the wd smp.  if you just push the power button it is a soft off and that hd can still be accessed by other WDTVs or computers.  If you hold down power for 5 seconds I think you get the hard off and the drive is not accessible.

 

 

 

Hope that helps?

 

and I got a reconditioned one for like 60 and haven't had any issues.  ebay I think

post #4254 of 4686
It's called Deep Standby. Also, WD discovery is not responsible for slow transfer speeds to the Live, that's the LIVE's CPU (which is why USB3 doesn't make sense).
post #4255 of 4686
i am using the wd live with latest firmware what do you prefer to play mkv or m2ts. When I play some mkv the player freezes up during the playback and i have to unplug the live and restart annoying
post #4256 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post

i am using the wd live with latest firmware what do you prefer to play mkv or m2ts. When I play some mkv the player freezes up during the playback and i have to unplug the live and restart annoying

I've never had that happen and I play MKVs mostly. Are you wired or wireless? Are you streaming locally from a drive or through the network? I've had issues with certain MKVs choking and having to restart the movie and tons of issues with 24p stuttering that it made me give up on 24p all together, but never what you're experiencing.
post #4257 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkonfuzion View Post

I've never had that happen and I play MKVs mostly. Are you wired or wireless? Are you streaming locally from a drive or through the network? I've had issues with certain MKVs choking and having to restart the movie and tons of issues with 24p stuttering that it made me give up on 24p all together, but never what you're experiencing.

I haved watched 2 mkv this morning and both froze on me I am wired and I am using a external hdd. I have to pull the plug and restart then it worked fine.
post #4258 of 4686
MKVs gave me grief at 24p, had lip-sync issues. I switched to M2TS and haven't had problems.
post #4259 of 4686
Does it happen on all MKVs? I'd think it was just some bad files...but could be something with the WD TV
post #4260 of 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan35611 View Post

I haved watched 2 mkv this morning and both froze on me I am wired and I am using a external hdd. I have to pull the plug and restart then it worked fine.

How large are your MKV's? I stream wired and the only issues I've had is when the file is very large.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread