or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 9

post #241 of 906
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OK, I can see why you feel so strongly about this. On my side I use Wifi in my 93 all the time without problem, and I know that Wifi performance has not been an issue of concern in the Beta Test group -- not a bunch known to be particularly shy about complaining.

It would be great if we could nail down why you and the people you are working with are having this problem, if for no other reason than that it's easier for Oppo to improve it if we can tell them what's wrong.

Have you spotted any common factors other than the Oppo itself in the setups you've mentioned?

Oppo uses an off the shelf Wifi dongle just pre-configured with the driver in the player.
--Bob

I appreciate your interest in this topic even though our experience with the Oppo differs greatly. I'll admit I haven't been involved with their set ups so I couldn't give you a lot of details. They call me in to diagnose firewalls and the like so I haven't really done much investigation of their wireless solutions as they typically install them and call me if they have an issue. Sometimes they use access points, sometimes routers. They use very different equipment depending on the houses - some are 1 level 5000 sq ft homes and some are 3 level homes - usually CEOs for cash rich companies. I think I've seen about 7 brands of Wifi solutions depending on who they are installing for although I think two were pre-existing wireless solutions. About the only thing I see in common is they were all G AND N wireless solutions. I've seen Belkin (crap), DLink (crap), Netgear (crap), Cisco (crap), Airport Extremes (Last 2 gens reliable but not the fastest at a distance, otherwise good bang for the buck), Buffalo (hardware goes bad in my experience but good bang for the buck if they lasted longer), engenius (pretty good and reliable), Proxim (pretty good but expensive). I can't remember the two brands used for APs off the top of my head but I can look them up at the office.

I do talk to them in general about AV stuff as I do enjoy it. They pretty much complain about the Oppo for the same things that bug me although we all agree that they are the best for bang for the buck. I just would like them to consider a higher quality Wifi receiver in their next BR player.

As for my personal Oppo I've tried both a generic flashed buffalo and an Airport extreme - last 2 gens - all had the same issue although all work perfectly with my Sony Vaio Laptop, Mac Airbook, ipad and Android phone as well as my friend's Lenovo and Fujitsu laptops.

I'll have the new bridge in by the end of this week. It will plug in right where the wifi dongle is on the oppo is. If the bridge works without issue, I'll just recommend them as a more cost effective solution than wiring as wiring in some of these homes is cost prohibitive depending on their age and construction.

The Oppo wifi on the 93 is more sensitve to intense bandwidth such as a high definition streamed (not netflix streamed but PC streamed) source. I would find it hard to believe based on my experience that you'll be able to easily 4x or 5x reverse a 720p or 1080p mkv file using the wireless and never any stutter. 99% of what I stream are high def 5 channel MKVs; perhaps you are streaming another format? If that is what you are streaming we'll have to look elsewhere but I figure we might as well try to get as close to oranges to organges as possible in our tests.

Frankly since I've started downloading my TV shows I rarely ever even watch optical discs. I'd say it is more like 90% stream and 10% disc these days.

I did think of one more thing in common. If I recall since they were very nice set ups, none were using the USB extension which can help a lot but is less than ideal for some of these fancy environments. Since I can put my android phone right in the back of my Oppo and stream without issue, and my phone doesn't have a lot of room for wifi, I would have to imagine they could do better than what they currently have.
post #242 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Well, I haven't complained because I've got mine hardwired . Since I have an iPad, I've got an Apple AirPort extreme, but it's on top of the rack the Oppo is in (4' away, tops), so I'd be shocked if I had trouble getting a reliable signal. I'm not a big fan of wireless in general because there's just too much that can go wrong. As a rule, I hardwire things whenever possible and I'm surprised to hear that some custom install companies wouldn't hardwire as the rule (except for when running wires is especially difficult) to minimize potential problems.

+10000.

Hardwire ftw.

I would LOVE it wireless was reliable enough to eliminate all hardwires, but I have yet to see the wireless installation that can actually hold a candle to a simple, inexpensive CAT 5e wire.
post #243 of 906
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

+10000.

Hardwire ftw.

I would LOVE it wireless was reliable enough to eliminate all hardwires, but I have yet to see the wireless installation that can actually hold a candle to a simple, inexpensive CAT 5e wire.

I agree wired is best but not always an option. I have not had to reset my router in about a year (apple airport). Resetting once a year I can live with - resetting my Oppo once a day is tedious. I use it every day as well as my friends. I have never had an issue connecting (NOT EVEN ONCE) with my ipad, laptop, macbook or phone. I have however had to reset my oppo nearly every day I stream as it won't reaquire the network until I power it off and on - but the moment I reboot it, it finds the network even though during that time my ipad has no problem finding the network. Wireless CAN be reliable but it requires quality access points, routers and receivers. I am willing to bet right now once I put in my wireless bridge connected directly to my oppo in the same spot my oppo currently has its receiver, I won't have issues with streaming any more. I won't change a single thing on my router to increase signal, change channels, change security - the only thing I will have to do is bridge it to my new wireless receiver I'll have this week.
post #244 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I The Oppo wifi on the 93 is more sensitve to intense bandwidth such as a high definition streamed (not netflix streamed but PC streamed) source. I would find it hard to believe based on my experience that you'll be able to easily 4x or 5x reverse a 720p or 1080p mkv file using the wireless and never any stutter. 99% of what I stream are high def 5 channel MKVs; perhaps you are streaming another format? If that is what you are streaming we'll have to look elsewhere but I figure we might as well try to get as close to oranges to oranges as possible in our tests.

Frankly since I've started downloading my TV shows I rarely ever even watch optical discs. I'd say it is more like 90% stream and 10% disc these days.

I did think of one more thing in common. If I recall since they were very nice set ups, none were using the USB extension which can help a lot but is less than ideal for some of these fancy environments. Since I can put my android phone right in the back of my Oppo and stream without issue, and my phone doesn't have a lot of room for wifi, I would have to imagine they could do better than what they currently have.

Ok see you are heavy user of streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I agree wired is best but not always an option. I have not had to reset my router in about a year (apple airport). Resetting once a year I can live with - resetting my Oppo once a day is tedious. I use it every day as well as my friends. I have never had an issue connecting (NOT EVEN ONCE) with my ipad, laptop, macbook or phone. I have however had to reset my oppo nearly every day I stream as it won't reacquire the network until I power it off and on - but the moment I reboot it, it finds the network even though during that time my ipad has no problem finding the network. Wireless CAN be reliable but it requires quality access points, routers and receivers. I am willing to bet right now once I put in my wireless bridge connected directly to my oppo in the same spot my oppo currently has its receiver, I won't have issues with streaming any more. I won't change a single thing on my router to increase signal, change channels, change security - the only thing I will have to do is bridge it to my new wireless receiver I'll have this week.

So could you expand on the streaming MKV (5 ch)? Yes you mention pretty much all mac without having to reacquire a network. Is this strictly related to DLNA functionality? Does starting up other services like NetFlix, Vudu work when you encounter the issue? Ever done a connection test after you run into this issue?
post #245 of 906
Have we even gotten word on a new oppo player anytime soon? Seems like the current player is still better than anything out there at least PQM wise
post #246 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Have we even gotten word on a new oppo player anytime soon? Seems like the current player is still better than anything out there at least PQM wise

No news, rumors, or expectation of any new model soon.

-Bill
post #247 of 906
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Ok see you are heavy user of streaming.

So could you expand on the streaming MKV (5 ch)? Yes you mention pretty much all mac without having to reacquire a network. Is this strictly related to DLNA functionality? Does starting up other services like NetFlix, Vudu work when you encounter the issue? Ever done a connection test after you run into this issue?

Yes, I have seen the oppo lose the network connection. Sometimes I have to turn off the oppo to reaquire even though none of my other devices have issues finding the wireless. If I hard wire there doesn't seem to be an issue.
post #248 of 906
Like others have requested, I think the next Oppo should have multiple USB 3.0 ports in the rear.

Also, it needs the port multiplier chipset for eSATA built in.

I like that we have USB and eSATA. But because of the 2TB limit on external hard drives, the current eSATA port is almost useless because it doesn't support port multiplication.
post #249 of 906
In order to properly distinguish itself from cheaper players, the Oppo BDP-9x needs to have proper TCP/IP management, preferably with a small web server inside the player.

This needs to include:
- full configuration of the player
- status updates/reporting (possibly presenting a screen layout similar to the video output)
- full control over the player, as per the remote control
- optional password locking of configuration via TCP/IP
- dedicated remote control port via TCP/IP in addition to using the web interface to configure the player

Optionally, it should include:
- being able to send DLNA commands to it to start playback of a particular file
post #250 of 906
Currently DLNA playback has issues with files suck as mkv start audio well after the video. Given that this problem has persisted for so long with the current models, it would seem that it cannot be fixed with the current hardware. This needs to be fixed. My work around is to stop using the Oppo for media playback and to use something else (such as a TV) instead. I imagine by the time that the next player is launched that including video playback that is obviously not synchronised will be unacceptable to many people and that they'll decide (like I have) that the feature is just not usable until it is fixed, thereby removing value from the player.

In addition, the gap between tracks needs to be configurable so that those of us that wish to play CDs such as "Dark Side Of The Moon" can do so without the pauses that we currently experience with the BDP-93/95 where each track is an individual file.
post #251 of 906
The specification for HDMI 1.4 allows for Ethernet (TCP/IP) to be included in the HDMI cable. Whilst support for this at the other end is limited, it would be nice to see this arrive as it would allow for another cable (or USB wireless dongle) to be eliminated from the collection of things plugged in the front/back of the player just to provide the desired connectivity.
post #252 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There's pretty much no chance (I always hesitate to say never, but it probably applies in this case) of this happening. The player manufacturers have to implement region restrictions as part of their licensing agreements.

I was hunting yesterday and found this:

http://www.goldmund.com/products/eid...reference-blue

Of note:
# BD-video: zone free
post #253 of 906
The current streaming options (Netflix, etc) all assume that you live in the USA. For folks that buy the European model, there is no substitute. For folks that buy the Oppo BDP-93 from importers in other parts of the world, streaming is similarly useless.

There are two ways forward:
* non-USA models ship without streaming and are discounted in price due to this feature not being present
* the issue of streaming is revisited and the companies that Oppo uses as a source for streaming expanded to include those that are able to provide streaming of audio or video outside of the USA.

Some examples of other streaming sources:
- Internet Radio (for example, what Denon AVRs use)
- XM Radio (you can buy a feed from them if you cannot get satellite coverage)
post #254 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Currently DLNA playback has issues with files suck as mkv start audio well after the video. Given that this problem has persisted for so long with the current models, it would seem that it cannot be fixed with the current hardware. This needs to be fixed. My work around is to stop using the Oppo for media playback and to use something else (such as a TV) instead. I imagine by the time that the next player is launched that including video playback that is obviously not synchronised will be unacceptable to many people and that they'll decide (like I have) that the feature is just not usable until it is fixed, thereby removing value from the player.

Have you brought this to Oppo's attention? What DLNA server are you using and can you provide some small sample files that demonstrate the problem? This is definitely working fine for some users, so it isn't a universal issue.
post #255 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Have you brought this to Oppo's attention? What DLNA server are you using and can you provide some small sample files that demonstrate the problem? This is definitely working fine for some users, so it isn't a universal issue.

I'm using the PS3 Media Server and the typical MKV file that I play is the most recent "Top Gear" TV Show O:-)
post #256 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

I was hunting yesterday and found this:

http://www.goldmund.com/products/eid...reference-blue

Of note:
# BD-video: zone free

That appears to be their global website - I would expect the USA version of the player, at least, to be region restricted.
post #257 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

The current streaming options (Netflix, etc) all assume that you live in the USA. For folks that buy the European model, there is no substitute. For folks that buy the Oppo BDP-93 from importers in other parts of the world, streaming is similarly useless.

There are two ways forward:
* non-USA models ship without streaming and are discounted in price due to this feature not being present
* the issue of streaming is revisited and the companies that Oppo uses as a source for streaming expanded to include those that are able to provide streaming of audio or video outside of the USA.

Some examples of other streaming sources:
- Internet Radio (for example, what Denon AVRs use)
- XM Radio (you can buy a feed from them if you cannot get satellite coverage)

This is where Oppo EU needs to add some value. They currently start with the firmware from Oppo USA and make very few changes other than setting the DVD / BD region restrictions. AFAIK, there's nothing preventing them from offering a different (or augmented) set of streaming partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

I'm using the PS3 Media Server and the typical MKV file that I play is the most recent "Top Gear" TV Show O:-)

Again, have you brought this issue to the attention of Oppo? If they don't know there's an issue, they can't be reasonably expected to fix it... They may request that you provide them with sample files to work with - it's usually best to come up with a small sample that demonstrates a problem rather than something like a full episode of a TV show as it's a lot easier to work with. Just saying "the most recent XYZ TV show" isn't much to go on as there are numerous ways to obtain content.
post #258 of 906
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Yes you mention pretty much all mac without having to reacquire a network.

Thanks for your post.

I thought about what you said and decided to do some slightly more serious testing on the streaming/network issues with the Oppo. Here are my results; I may send this to Oppo as I really think streaming is going to be much more important as time passes.

I tried wired connectivity - ff and rew are smoother and more likely to work but still not guaranteed once you exceed 2x even with wired on higher def/larger media.

I tried putting in a wireless bridge and it seemed that I could get to network folders from history faster than using the onboard/usb nic. I also could more reliably ff and rew up to 2x than I could with the onboard nic - however as with completely wired, I will have issues once I go to higher def/large media streamed files.

I thought I'd try and figure out why I have to reboot the oppo on wireless for it to reconnect to the network. I am not positive but I believe the issue is the network client on the Oppo isn't frequently trying to reacquire a DHCP connection should there be any issue with the network connection wired or wireless. On a Windows or OSX computer the moment you can't reliably pass traffic, it will attempt to reacquire a dhcp lease - this won't necessarily make you lose your mapped drives or anything but on the Oppo - it usually just sits there for an untold amount of time before attempting to reacquire a DHCP lease unless you reboot. If you do wait long enough for it to reestablish a connection on its own- you typically have to go back through the network location, your computer, videos, folders, NCIS, Season 8... If they could temporarily map that in cache/short term memory on the oppo it wouldn't be quite so frustrating when you lose network signal and if they could have it check for dhcp connectivity more frequently it would alleviate the need to reboot the oppo.
post #259 of 906
Able to roll back FW for the next player.
post #260 of 906
I'd like the ability to optionally apply masks to open-matte films so that you can take a 1.78:1 Blu Ray and convert it back to its theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 or whatever. Not sure which aspect ratio options should be available, but I'm thinking one for 1.85:1 and one for 2.35:1 may be adequate.

Even better if they can manage to apply the mask BEFORE applying subtitles, so that subtitles can still appear in the masked areas.
post #261 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

This is where Oppo EU needs to add some value. They currently start with the firmware from Oppo USA and make very few changes other than setting the DVD / BD region restrictions. AFAIK, there's nothing preventing them from offering a different (or augmented) set of streaming partners.

And for those that live in neither the USA nor Europe?

The world is a small place - DVD/BD region restrictions demonstrate that. If other vendors can offer streaming content that works wherever you are in the world, why can't Oppo? It's not like other services aren't available.

Quote:


Again, have you brought this issue to the attention of Oppo? If they don't know there's an issue, they can't be reasonably expected to fix it... They may request that you provide them with sample files to work with - it's usually best to come up with a small sample that demonstrates a problem rather than something like a full episode of a TV show as it's a lot easier to work with. Just saying "the most recent XYZ TV show" isn't much to go on as there are numerous ways to obtain content.

Tell you what. Next time I'm in SFBA, I'll drop by and leave them a DVD with a sample file (I was one of those that picked up a BDP-93 from their office.)
post #262 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

That appears to be their global website - I would expect the USA version of the player, at least, to be region restricted.

Have you ever searched for a Blu Ray player this is either "zone free" or "region selectable" for Blu Rays using Google?

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/All...ayers_s/72.htm

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/Reg...d_players.html

I don't know what's special about IL, but it would seem that if you live in the USA and want to buy a DVD region/BluRay zone free player, it is not very difficult to find a vendor within the USA that will sell you one.
post #263 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Have you ever searched for a Blu Ray player this is either "zone free" or "region selectable" for Blu Rays using Google?

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/All...ayers_s/72.htm

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/Reg...d_players.html

I don't know what's special about IL, but it would seem that if you live in the USA and want to buy a DVD region/BluRay zone free player, it is not very difficult to find a vendor within the USA that will sell you one.

What's your point? Those vendors are selling modified players (including Oppo). No legitimate manufacturer, to my knowledge, is sending region free players from their factories to the USA for sale. We're talking about how the player will be delivered by Oppo to their customers and vendors - they will not be shipping a region free player in the USA or most other countries (IIRC, Australia is an exception in that the country has laws that forbid region restrictions).
post #264 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

What's your point? Those vendors are selling modified players (including Oppo). No legitimate manufacturer, to my knowledge, is sending region free players from their factories to the USA for sale. We're talking about how the player will be delivered by Oppo to their customers and vendors - they will not be shipping a region free player in the USA or most other countries (IIRC, Australia is an exception in that the country has laws that forbid region restrictions).

You originally said (in response to a request for a region free player):

"There's pretty much no chance (I always hesitate to say never, but it probably applies in this case) of this happening. The player manufacturers have to implement region restrictions as part of their licensing agreements."

Yet there is a player made in Switzerland that is region free and then there's the availability of players in Australia (that are made by all of the major brands), so it would seem the "have to" is not nearly as strong as you assert.

So perhaps the question is better asked, why can Panasonic, LG, etc, make BluRay and DVD players that are sold with the capability of easily switching or disabling region control whereas Oppo cannot?
post #265 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

You originally said (in response to a request for a region free player):

"There's pretty much no chance (I always hesitate to say never, but it probably applies in this case) of this happening. The player manufacturers have to implement region restrictions as part of their licensing agreements."

Yet there is a player made in Switzerland that is region free and then there's the availability of players in Australia (that are made by all of the major brands), so it would seem the "have to" is not nearly as strong as you assert.

So perhaps the question is better asked, why can Panasonic, LG, etc, make BluRay and DVD players that are sold with the capability of easily switching or disabling region control whereas Oppo cannot?

Context is important... My earlier reply was in response to:

Quote:


I'd want it to be region free without any effort on the part of the user.

The poster I replied to is located in the USA, so as I said in my reply, there's pretty much no chance of this happening. He's asking for out of the box region free with no need to do ANYTHING (no remote control code sequence, no Superdisc, no hardware mod) on a player sold, and purchased in the USA direct from the manufacturer (or one of their official resellers).

And as I said, that Goldmund player from Switzerland will almost certainly arrive in the USA with region restrictions if it's going to be sold through normal distribution channels. There's also a chance that it is so low volume that it might be able to fly under the radar - from what I can find in a quick Google search, it's crazy expensive (something like $135,000) and only 50 units have been built - so it's not exactly a mass market item.

Why other manufactures can get away with simple remote code sequences to enable region free is a good question. Oppo used to do this on their DVD players and I can only assume that something in the licensing process for their Bluray players forced them to do away with this as there's no other rational reason why they would bother doing so.
post #266 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The poster I replied to is located in the USA, so as I said in my reply, there's pretty much no chance of this happening. He's asking for out of the box region free with no need to do ANYTHING (no remote control code sequence, no Superdisc, no hardware mod) on a player sold, and purchased in the USA direct from the manufacturer (or one of their official resellers).

Very true oppo had a fine reputation for rf players ; gsr .Players are available that do rf even with the US licensing restrictions ;

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Compon.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

though note amazon says ''legal non modified version'' Also like oppo players it is dual voltage so maybe a way around restrictions A dead set mystery for sure Down here toshiba have a very popular very cheap rf bd player but even our models require a key code punch in unfortunately
post #267 of 906
Quote:


Context is important... My earlier reply was in response to:

Quote:


I'd want it to be region free without any effort on the part of the user.

The poster I replied to is located in the USA, so as I said in my reply, there's pretty much no chance of this happening. He's asking for out of the box region free with no need to do ANYTHING (no remote control code sequence, no Superdisc, no hardware mod) on a player sold, and purchased in the USA direct from the manufacturer (or one of their official resellers).

And as I said, that Goldmund player from Switzerland will almost certainly arrive in the USA with region restrictions if it's going to be sold through normal distribution channels. There's also a chance that it is so low volume that it might be able to fly under the radar - from what I can find in a quick Google search, it's crazy expensive (something like $135,000) and only 50 units have been built - so it's not exactly a mass market item.

Whether or not it is mass market is immaterial, as is the price.

Here you've got a manufacturer adveritising on the Internet that their Blu Ray player is "region free". If there isn't something special about Switzerland then I imagine the powers that be in BluRay space would have a difficult time in court trying to enforce their will as any other party can point to this player and its availability.

Quote:


Why other manufactures can get away with simple remote code sequences to enable region free is a good question. Oppo used to do this on their DVD players and I can only assume that something in the licensing process for their Bluray players forced them to do away with this as there's no other rational reason why they would bother doing so.

When you can stop making assumptions and provide solid answers, let us know. Speculation is worthless.
post #268 of 906
A screen saver when playing SACD/CD would be very nice for those of us using a plasma screen.
post #269 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsop4now View Post

A screen saver when playing SACD/CD would be very nice for those of us using a plasma screen.

I agree with that. As a workaround in the current players, you can blank the screen by going into Pure Mode (Pure button, upper left on the remote). Press Pure again to get the screen back.
--Bob
post #270 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsop4now View Post

A screen saver when playing SACD/CD would be very nice for those of us using a plasma screen.

I believe that you use the pure audio option for that.

Jacob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.