[STREAMING]1. Give the option to rearrange the order of options for streaming. I always want folders and genre near the top as that is the way and most people I know organize their media. But not everyone will so let us arrange the order so it is faster for us to get to our media depending on how we organize. This may require Oppo to have their own streaming program like a slightly modified or modifiable Oshare.
2. Allow network playback of ISOs and VOBs. 3. Continue to improve the speed at which the network boots/locks on to the media server so you don't have to wait so long after booting to going to your network server for media.
4. Allow for a streaming bookmark menu so you can easily and quickly go to specific folders for playback. If I'm halfway through a file on my PC, I'd like it to pick up where I left off like a DVD or Netflix do.
5. Set an option for a default network streaming source and folder so I don't always have to tell it to go to computer1, oshare, video, folders, each time I want to go to my streaming computer. While some may have multiple computers and sources on those computers, I think the vast majority will stream from one of their network sources 99% of the time for the foreseeable future.
6. Give an option for SMB that has a specific folder share by IP\share so it can access it faster and more reliably and can be assigned to a button on the remote.
7. Allow it to save your SMB credentials even if it has trouble logging in so you don't have to retype that every time you make a modification to your PC.
8. Make chapter skip forward when you come to the end of a streamed video starts the next streamed video
[CONNECTORS]9. Improve the wireless network card. Choose another Wifi supplier as my laptop can stream no problem in the same spot as my oppo can't without stuttering. My airport express bridged to my Airport extreme when connected via ethernet cable to the Oppo doesn't stutter either. For Netflix the wifi supplied is OK. For streaming 1080p with lossless audio from a PC the included Wifi is not functional.
10. Adopt 802.11ad for better range and faster throughput when streaming. Better for 1080p streamed content. 802.11ac devices are out this year, 802.11ad will be out in 2014 and is designed for HD streaming.
11. Make sure all the ports are USB 3.0 to power USB 3.0 drives.
12. Add an HDMI 2.0 out.
[CONTROLS]12. Consider voice command like phones have so you can say "Netflix, show airplane" and it will show all the airplane movies you can pick from or "computer1, videos, folder, the mentalist, season 1" and it goes to that folder.
What features would you like in your next Oppo BR player - whatever models come after the 103 and 105 as these have already been released.
13. Give a web interface that let's you quickly modify all the same settings as the on screen interface but with options such as quick save so you can modify settings, save them, restore them etc.
14. Add keys to the remote for network folder shares so you can go straight to TV shows, Movies, Pictures or Music. (Let the user assign what the keys go to - e.g. 4 music locations or 3 video locations and 1 music.
15. Make scrolling even faster perhaps 3x as fast when you hold it down for 2 seconds.
16. Give the ability to search your smb or dlna media by typing media name - e.g. Suits or White Collar - even better make it so you can search by more than one term - e.g. NCIS 3 (would search for all the media with both ncis and 3 in the name (not just NCIS OR 3)
17. Add support for wireless mouse. The keyboard is great for typing in text such as for youtube but then it would be use the mouse to easily hop to the right and scroll through the results.
I love my BDP-103 and 93 and ALWAYS recommend the Oppo players. But in electronics there is always room for improvement. Oppo makes a BDP-105 that goes for about $1000 for audio aficionados. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for one designed for streaming aficionados.
This thread was started long before the 103 was released but since the thread lives on, I've updated the first post to cover things not available in the 103. The first 17 pages are about features we were hoping they might include in the 103.Edited by boe - 10/14/12 at 6:18pm