or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 25

post #721 of 908
Had no idea.can anyone report on what the picture quality was like on a 4K set?
post #722 of 908
Hi Guy`s ,

OK ___ looks like your Oppo fans !!

So please tell me how would the 103 and or 103 D , match up against my old Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi.

On my F8000 my SD dvd`s are not looking as good as they did on my older XBR2.

As far as buying BluRay dvd`s , a few, Star Wars of course and a few others , however I am a big fan of VUDU and I have converted a lot of my library to HDX , however some I can not and Amazon Prime is also a good HD soucre , ( VUDU is my favorite wink.gif ) !

Bottom line is would the 103 or 103D be worth buying and would it make my very old SD dvd`s look better on my F8000 ?

Many thanks ,

Gary 

O__BTW == Go Pat`s ! biggrin.gif
post #723 of 908
This is really the wrong thread for your question. Comparisons between the 103 and 103D have been done in the 103D thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492940/official-oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-owners-thread

S~
post #724 of 908

I would want an OPPO 4K player, once 4K BR movies are available, which at this point doesn't look until at least 2015.  Which is fine, it'll give some time for prices on 4K pj/tv to drop some .  Until then I'm quite happy with the 103 and my Darblet.

post #725 of 908
A feature that would appeal to a lot of legacy Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP users is support of the checkerboard format for 3D movies. Panasonic players have had this feature for several years now. (It's not entirely clear if the latest Panasonic players have it.) I think that many owners of these sets (which are no longer being manufactured) got shafted when Mitsubishi announced that they were getting out of the RP DLP market and the cost of their 3DA-1 converter box skyrocketed. In my opinion, it would be a nice gesture (in addition to being good for business) to have checkerboard format support. There are still many sets out there that could use checkerboard support.

Even better would be if the Oppo incorporated the features of the Optoma 3D-XL box or equvalent (conversion of HDMI 1.4 standard Blu-ray formats to frame sequential / page-flipping format so that 720P HDMI 1.3 projectors such as the Optoma HD66 could display 3D directly without the need for a converter box). That would allow viewing of 3D broadcasts available on cable or satellite (as meager as they are) if you fed these signals to the player using one of the HDMI inputs.

I realize that some might consider these features as examples of "looking backward" rather than "looking forward," but I think that given the established user base for these products, Oppo could win over quite a few customers if they incorporated these features.
post #726 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

A feature that would appeal to a lot of legacy Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP users is support of the checkerboard format for 3D movies. Panasonic players have had this feature for several years now. (It's not entirely clear if the latest Panasonic players have it.) I think that many owners of these sets (which are no longer being manufactured) got shafted when Mitsubishi announced that they were getting out of the RP DLP market and the cost of their 3DA-1 converter box skyrocketed. In my opinion, it would be a nice gesture (in addition to being good for business) to have checkerboard format support. There are still many sets out there that could use checkerboard support.
As a beta tester, I pushed for this on the BDP-9x series as at the time I had a WD-65835 but was told that it wasn't going to happen. So I suspect it's extremely unlikely to happen at this point. I now have a WD-82838 which works with 3D from the Oppo without a converter box, but I certainly feel your pain smile.gif.
post #727 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

As a beta tester, I pushed for this on the BDP-9x series as at the time I had a WD-65835 but was told that it wasn't going to happen. So I suspect it's extremely unlikely to happen at this point. I now have a WD-82838 which works with 3D from the Oppo without a converter box, but I certainly feel your pain smile.gif.

Actually, it wouldn't affect me directly, as I've got the same set as you (only it's the 73-inch) with the converter box built into it. But I know of others who would benefit. It's good to know that you went to bat for the same feature. Thanks!
post #728 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoray View Post

MultEQ XT32 with bass management, with the same DAC for the BDP105, for the new BDP115. Did I miss something? As I understand it, there is no such combo with a reasonable price range. No outboard unit to work with. Maybe this was said recently, but I just didn't see it.

If they add that and it works I'm in for a pre-order now and I just went from the 95 to the 105 3 weeks a go. Where do I send the money? tongue.gif

edit: I just saw some references to DIRAC... any room eq software that didn't require additional components and cables (I.e built in) would be a welcome addition to me... I'd possibly like it to be defeatable in case it degraded the sound, but I expect that any sound issues would be worked out before release
Edited by mikepos - 1/13/14 at 8:49pm
post #729 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post

If they add that and it works I'm in for a pre-order now and I just went from the 95 to the 105 3 weeks a go. Where do I send the money? tongue.gif

Count me in.
post #730 of 908
I would love to see the "115" have a HT Bypass feature so it could be used as a stand alone preamp smile.gif. I have been thinking about upgrading to the 105 from the 103. But I think I'll wait till the "115" is released.

Bill
post #731 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I would love to see the "115" have a HT Bypass feature so it could be used as a stand alone preamp smile.gif. I have been thinking about upgrading to the 105 from the 103. But I think I'll wait till the "115" is released.

Bill

The BDP-115 will be out in December 2014 biggrin.gif
post #732 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

The BDP-115 will be out in December 2014 biggrin.gif

Seeing the 105 starting shipping on 11/26/12 I would say your "guess" on the shipping date of the 115 is mostly likely correct smile.gif. I would go for the 105 but I'm hoping the 115 will have a better process of accessing files off of a hard drive.

Bill
post #733 of 908
I would like OPPO to lead the way by supporting Ethernet over HDMI. If other Vendors followed the lead then a single Ethernet Cable or Wireless Adapter in the HDMI chain could supply Network Connectivity to all Ethernet over HDMI devices in the chain.

So far no vendor has been willing to lead the way. The HDMI chipset Vendors are, most likely, the real culprits here.
post #734 of 908
Do you think Oppo will ever do a cheaper player again?
Also they need a better UI for streaming. That way an Oppo can replace a good streamer.
post #735 of 908
^Oppo doesn't do cheap, they do quality.
post #736 of 908

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP...

Ohh and besides a better UI they need a "head-less" option on a tablet or smartphone. that way you can stream all music without turning on the screen. Basically a Sonos in your Oppo player. smile.gif
post #737 of 908
There are tablet/smartphone apps for the Oppo 10X series. They're still being improved but are getting there. I believe there are also apps for the 9x series.
post #738 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There are tablet/smartphone apps for the Oppo 10X series. They're still being improved but are getting there. I believe there are also apps for the 9x series.
...and if you go the DLNA route, you can do it now, using the Oppo as a renderer - but that only works with the 103s and 105s, since none of the prior models have a DLNA renderer.
post #739 of 908
We CIH zoomers would love to see support for a "SMALL 16:9" mode, which scales the image down by a factor of 1.35 (exactly) so that 16:9 content can be seen on a screen masked for 2.40 content. Use case: I'm using a streaming app or the Oppo OSD to choose a movie, and I don't want to "unzoom" my projector just so I can go through the menus. If I pick a 16:9 (or 1.85) show to watch, I'll unzoom manually.

Example: My screen is 47" by 110.4", and the projected image is 62.1" by 110.4. With "SMALL 16:9" scaling applied, the image is shrunk down to 46" by 82".

I realize I'm throwing away resolution, but for this use case (brief UI navigation) I don't care. I also don't care if the image completely fills the screen.
post #740 of 908
+1 on the downscale for CIH use. But it has to work on all content, unlike the current "1/2" zoom option which is actually not far from the correct factor but doesn't work on many Blu-rays (even at the menu).

While they are at it they might as well make the zoom ratio customizable in small steps, with user-defined masking on all 4 sides as well. This would accomodate all the odd aspect ratios out there.

The thing is, the 103D already has two processors downstream of the decoder where they could implement this: the FPGA that currently runs the Darbee algorithm, and the VRS chip (not sure how much flexibility the VRS has, but you don't need a big FPGA to implement zooming).
post #741 of 908
It would be nice if the sleep timer could be activated by a single button on the remote like many AVRs and tvs have (with info displayed on the unit) so I can activate without the tv on.
post #742 of 908
As a fan of 2D-to-3D conversion (yeah, I'm the one), I wonder if Oppo might strike a deal with Mitsubishi for the use of their 2D-to-3D converter. I haven't actually seen any use of the Mits converter, provided for their HC7900 and HC8000 front projectors, but they bragged about it when these were released, and (more importantly) a number of reviewers and users agreed with them. Since Mitsubishi is getting out of the HDTV market completely, I would think they would be willing to part with this technology. A recent commentator said that the Mits converter was superior to PowerDVD 13 Ultra, the best converter I've had experience with (I would rate Oppo equal to PowerDVD with respect to conversion).
post #743 of 908
Real source direct on 113, please! I was about to pull a trigger on 103, but reading about the Qdeo NR being non-defeatable made me abandon the plan.
post #744 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

Real source direct on 113, please! I was about to pull a trigger on 103, but reading about the Qdeo NR being non-defeatable made me abandon the plan.

Most people think it's a minor issue, but if it worries you, the -103D doesn't have the problem. Or QDEO.

-Bill
post #745 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

Ohh and besides a better UI they need a "head-less" option on a tablet or smartphone. that way you can stream all music without turning on the screen. Basically a Sonos in your Oppo player. smile.gif

 

Good thought...but for now...

 

I've just used a cheep little monitor next to my big TV.  Took it down when I reset the room, but really should put it back up so I don't wear out my good TV. 

post #746 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

Ohh and besides a better UI they need a "head-less" option on a tablet or smartphone. that way you can stream all music without turning on the screen. Basically a Sonos in your Oppo player. smile.gif

This would "encourage" me to up-grade from the BPD-93. Oppo needs to hire a few ex-Apple engineers to get the UI and intuitive features right. It would be great to get other non-tech members of the family to use the Oppo more often and thus justify it's up-grade costs.smile.gif
post #747 of 908
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but it just occurred to me when I mentioned it in the 93 owner's thread:

- How about an IR sensor and remote combo that has a wider 'read' range?

With a lot of my equipment (eg my Onkyo 5008 receiver), the remote works if I point it roughly in the general direction of the unit. I can also use the remote from 10' back from the unit while standing 10' to the side of being directly in front of it. With the 93's remote though, I have to aim it much more accurately, and if I'm trying to use the remote from say... more than 3 feet to the left of being directly in front (sitting 10' back), it won't read the remote.

Obviously, there are IR blasters/receivers that can operate at more oblique angles than in the 93, and of course, there's also the possibility of a bluetooth remote that doesn't even need line of sight.


Max
post #748 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but it just occurred to me when I mentioned it in the 93 owner's thread:

- How about an IR sensor and remote combo that has a wider 'read' range?

With a lot of my equipment (eg my Onkyo 5008 receiver), the remote works if I point it roughly in the general direction of the unit. I can also use the remote from 10' back from the unit while standing 10' to the side of being directly in front of it. With the 93's remote though, I have to aim it much more accurately, and if I'm trying to use the remote from say... more than 3 feet to the left of being directly in front (sitting 10' back), it won't read the remote.

Obviously, there are IR blasters/receivers that can operate at more oblique angles than in the 93, and of course, there's also the possibility of a bluetooth remote that doesn't even need line of sight.
This issue seems to be resolved with the 103/105 series players.
post #749 of 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but it just occurred to me when I mentioned it in the 93 owner's thread:

- How about an IR sensor and remote combo that has a wider 'read' range?

With a lot of my equipment (eg my Onkyo 5008 receiver), the remote works if I point it roughly in the general direction of the unit. I can also use the remote from 10' back from the unit while standing 10' to the side of being directly in front of it. With the 93's remote though, I have to aim it much more accurately, and if I'm trying to use the remote from say... more than 3 feet to the left of being directly in front (sitting 10' back), it won't read the remote.

Obviously, there are IR blasters/receivers that can operate at more oblique angles than in the 93, and of course, there's also the possibility of a bluetooth remote that doesn't even need line of sight.
This issue seems to be resolved with the 103/105 series players.
Ah, EXCELLENT! Darn... yet another reason to add a 105 to the rack between that and the ability to play DSD files.


Max
post #750 of 908
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.