or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ w7000 - Page 6

post #151 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

good question, but not one that can be answered easily. JVC used to have a great reputation, but had some issues with the lamps in last years models. The new Panasonic's have been showing up with some issues on the panels, lamp flicker, etc.

in my opinion, the answer is dependent down to a specific model these days. some have more warts than others. The problem is, the issues can take some time to show up (like lamp issues) and new owners generally like to justify their new purchase and can have a hard time discussing outstanding issues in the beginning (affectionately known as 'The Honeymoon phase')

The BenQ W7000 looks to be built on the existing W6000 and SP890 chassis which I don't recall reading any complaints about. Early adopters always take a chance of being a beta test though.

This particular projector's strength is likely going to be it's 3D capabilities for 3D bluray, SBS content and gaming. I don't expect the contrast or black levels to be in the same league as the JVC's which is where they specialize in. Having said that, the previous W6000 was popular with those who like the look of DLP and needed a light cannon, it was quite a bright projector compared to the LCOS counterparts which is good for ambient light viewing.

Another point of difference between the two is noise level. The DLP's tend to be louder than the LCOS projectors. This matters a lot to some people. Since my projector is rear shelf mounted, it matters to me.
Reply
Reply
post #152 of 499
The main (mostly very minor) complaints with the w6000 were:

1) IRIS Noise (but you can tweak the IRIS and even turn it off)
2) Fan Noise a tiny bit (hardly bothered most since it was a low hum, most people were bothered by IRIS first)
3) OTB Color Accuracy (takes some calibration work)
4) Image Noise or DLP Contrast Noise

I think most people that were complaining about image noise didn't have their gamma and contrast properly calibrated, that will mess up noise processing big time.

The strengths vs. other DLP's were:

1) Unrivaled Sharpness anywhere near this price range, the w6000 was the sharpness king in sub $5000
2) Brightness (although compared to todays projectors, this isn't as much an advantage, but I assume the w7000 will be slightly brighter)
3) Black Levels in this price range, although Native Contrast wasn't spectacular, the IRIS worked better than most other projectors, not as smooth as Sony, but better than most others in this tech. As one installer once told me, even though the IRIS isn't always the smoothest, it seems to pick the right times to close down and even allow a slightly higher multiple than most IRIS's without too many side effects
4) Tweakable IRIS means you can tune it in steps in the service menu, such as the min/max range, a really nice thing to be able to do
5) Post Calibrated Color was good
post #153 of 499
could you fix iris at various steps ?
post #154 of 499
When are we going to see this in US?
post #155 of 499
We keep expecting pricing and US release date info but have not received same yet. But we have been told we will get same soon.

Asking when in a forum doesn't make the answer appear if there is no answer yet. And if there were an answer, one wouldn't need to ask the question, the answer would be posted regardless of the question. Its not like people on the forum know but it just slipped their mind to post MSRP and expected release date. As soon as someone knows something, it will get posted.

I will get one of the first to put it thru its paces.
post #156 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

We keep expecting pricing and US release date info but have not received same yet. But we have been told we will get same soon.

Asking when in a forum doesn't make the answer appear if there is no answer yet. And if there were an answer, one wouldn't need to ask the question, the answer would be posted regardless of the question. Its not like people on the forum know but it just slipped their mind to post MSRP and expected release date. As soon as someone knows something, it will get posted.

I will get one of the first to put it thru its paces.

So you are saying, you know the answer but you dont want to share it with us?




































































j/k
post #157 of 499
For Canadians, NCIX has preorder pricing on it already. Very nice I must say!

Does Benq honor the warranty if a Canuck was to buy the W7K from AVS? Would we be able to get warranty work done via Benq Canada, or would the warranty be only valid in the country of purchase?
post #158 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

For Canadians, NCIX has preorder pricing on it already. Very nice I must say!

Does Benq honor the warranty if a Canuck was to buy the W7K from AVS? Would we be able to get warranty work done via Benq Canada, or would the warranty be only valid in the country of purchase?

wow, if that's accurate, that is great! CA-> US is almost 1:1 now. I hope that's not a typo. if it's accurate, my guess is that BenQ was smart enough to know the street pricing of the JVC, Epson, Panasonic, etc.
post #159 of 499
Wow that price looks nice. BUt does the W7000 have RBE problems(for most people)?
post #160 of 499
I'm not sure we know the color wheel speed yet, do we?

If it is 6x speed, then no it won't, at 4x for some but only a certain unknown percentage (I've always guessed that 1 in 4 notice it on 4x wheel, 1 in 6 are bothered a little more, and for 1 in 10 it's a deal breaker).

Those are just my guesses and with a 5x cw or 6x cw, then it becomes a non-issue for the overwhelming majority.
post #161 of 499
As an comparison, for me anyway, I could see RBE on the Runco LS5. DO you think maybe it should be better than the LS5 in that respect or equal?
post #162 of 499
spec sheet:

http://www.perfectimage.gr/wp-conten...102811.pdf.pdf

Ben Q W7000 official page:

http://www.benq.com/product/projector/w7000/

an insider on http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-11678.html is reporting 2 color wheel speeds choices, 4x and 6x. We'll find out soon.

It also has a CMS which is great at this price point. I can't wait to see this projector in person, by all accounts it's going to stomp on the best of the LCOS/LCD projectors in 3D and eat them for lunch with SBS and 3D gaming.

killer lens shift for HP owners is the pudding.
post #163 of 499
And assuming it is similar to the w6000, the IRIS is tweakable in the service menu and works better than most DLP IRIS's.
post #164 of 499
There are 2 different stores in Canada with the same price, very promising. This and the JVC are the 2 projectors I'm looking at. I wonder if you have to buy a seperate 3D emitter or if it is included in the unit and what the range will be?

By the way, I don't see anything wrong with people asking questions on this forum and why would anybody feel bothered by it?
post #165 of 499
That price is incrediable. I hope they didn't cut to many corners to get there.
post #166 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

That price is incrediable. I hope they didn't cut to many corners to get there.

Is DLP a lighter technology? I see the JVC RS-45 weights almost 33 pounds and the Benq is close to 15 pounds?
post #167 of 499
Yes, single-chip DLP's are generally much smaller and much lighter, this does not speak to the overall quality.
post #168 of 499
It would be nice if they were able to raise the native contrast, but that is probably wishful thinking.
post #169 of 499
I'm looking for a projector like this, but I dont care about 3D. Should I be looking at the w6000 instead?
post #170 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3000 View Post

I'm looking for a projector like this, but I dont care about 3D. Should I be looking at the w6000 instead?

The only concern could be the color wheel speed, I believes it's lower on the W6000 so you might see rainbows.

The price on the W6000 is good, but so is the W7000 for only 1k more if the price we are seeing in Canada is correct. You might want to wait for 6x color wheel confirmation and final price before deciding. My guess is that it will be soon since BenQ has the W7000 page now setup on their US website.
post #171 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The only concern could be the color wheel speed, I believes it's lower on the W6000 so you might see rainbows.

The price on the W6000 is good, but so is the W7000 for only 1k more if the price we are seeing in Canada is correct. You might want to wait for 6x color wheel confirmation and final price before deciding. My guess is that it will be soon since BenQ has the W7000 page now setup on their US website.

Well, I'll be getting 5 of these, that adds up in price. Currently I'm using w1000+, been using them for almost a year, haven't noticed any rainbowing.
post #172 of 499
I'm excited about this projector. Can't wait to get word on pricing from AVS.

As far as RBE goes, I used to have severe eye strain and fatigue with the Mitsubishi HD1000u which has a 4x color wheel. I moved to an Infocus 7210 which has a 7 segment 5x wheel and the improvement was night and day better. Hopefully the w7000 is similar.
post #173 of 499
On my W5000, when it plays 24fps the wheel runs at 4 and for 60fps it runs at 6. I assume this is the case due to noise level of the unit. Could be wrong however. I have never seen rainbows in either mode.

One thing I am concerned about is the noise level. Mine is fairly loud, I hope the new one is a little quiter but it shows the same DB as the 5000.
post #174 of 499
I use the zoom method with my scope setup. The screen is 8ft in width. My throw is limited to a little over 11 ft. Will this projector work for me?

Thanks,
Tom
post #175 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

We keep expecting pricing and US release date info but have not received same yet. But we have been told we will get same soon.

Asking when in a forum doesn't make the answer appear if there is no answer yet. And if there were an answer, one wouldn't need to ask the question, the answer would be posted regardless of the question. Its not like people on the forum know but it just slipped their mind to post MSRP and expected release date. As soon as someone knows something, it will get posted.

I will get one of the first to put it thru its paces.

Ookaay then. By the way I was looking for unofficial info, such as one you provided. Actually after other users' informative posts I now have a very good reason to wait for w7000 instead of jumping on some current pjs.
post #176 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

wow, if that's accurate, that is great! CA-> US is almost 1:1 now. I hope that's not a typo. if it's accurate, my guess is that BenQ was smart enough to know the street pricing of the JVC, Epson, Panasonic, etc.

Z, I added it to my cart just to see, and it allows you to add it at that price and then preorder it. I didn't preorder it because I want to see if AVS can beat that price as we Canadians usually have to pay more for everything. Also, there were no notices when I added it to my cart about the "price may change" or anything. Looks like a legit price!

What I like also is Benq makes some of the sharpest lenses around, and I personally like the DLP look. The pixel edge focus really makes the image jump off the screen. I thought this PJ would be 3K or more, so this is very exciting news for all of us.
post #177 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3000 View Post

I'm looking for a projector like this, but I dont care about 3D. Should I be looking at the w6000 instead?

If W7k is using DC3, then I would advice you go for W7k. If it is the same as W6k using DC2, save your money and go for W6k. It's a very good 1080p projector.
post #178 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

Z, I added it to my cart just to see, and it allows you to add it at that price and then preorder it. I didn't preorder it because I want to see if AVS can beat that price as we Canadians usually have to pay more for everything. Also, there were no notices when I added it to my cart about the "price may change" or anything. Looks like a legit price!

What I like also is Benq makes some of the sharpest lenses around, and I personally like the DLP look. The pixel edge focus really makes the image jump off the screen. I thought this PJ would be 3K or more, so this is very exciting news for all of us.

if the price is correct, this is getting exciting.. even for those looking just to use it as a dedicated 3D projector. I am staring at a BenQ SP890 mounted right above my head at my office, we use it every day. The lens literally looks like something you'd find on a toy, yet the sharpness is outstanding. I have it projecting 130" on a wall, 1920x1080 Windows 7 desktop and the corners / edges are easily as sharp as the center. We get comments all the time how clear it is by others passing by our office.

With the 300 watt lamp, the 3D should be nice and bright. It's probably going to set my 2.8HP on fire.
post #179 of 499
specs say 2000 lumens versus 2500 for w6000. I hope the real measurements are at least similar but no less then w6k for it to do large screens (no to mention 3d).
post #180 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx3gma View Post

specs say 2000 lumens versus 2500 for w6000. I hope the real measurements are at least similar but no less then w6k for it to do large screens (no to mention 3d).

I don't understand why the W7000, the 3D projector, has less lumens than the W6000 that is a 2D projector. Seems backwards, and with 3D, you need all the lumens you can get, especially when the bulb starts to dim.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home