Originally Posted by ben7337
These are probably dumb questions, but I've read most of this thread and just have a few general questions.
1) Is there any simple yet fully detailed guide on getting the HDHR Prime up and running properly? I feel like SD provides a basic quickstart guide, and the general setup seems simple enough, but I keep seeing how there is a digital cable advisor and playready and all sorts of other things not mentioned in that setup and which I'm not sure if they will install in the quicksetup or if I should be installing them now or if I even can.
2) Can an Xbox 360 be used with a HDHR Prime without any media center pc? Like if I got a 2nd one for my parents tv downstairs, could I just let them have an xbox connect to the tuner and do everything itself for live viewing? They say they don't need dvr functionality. Also could I then take their 2 unused tuners to have 5 for my htpc? I read that sharing can be done automatically, so maybe I don't even have to worry about setting it up like that?
3) Are there any other things I need to know? I'm sort of unsure of some details, like does WMC use WMP for playing cable? Or can I set it up with MPC-HC and use madvr and such?
1) No. FWIW, I never have installed the Digital Cable Advisor. I followed the HDHomerun Prime startup guide (written for the homerun, but still works). Then I ran the "Live TV" setup in WMC. I use Comcast, and Windows livetv setup found Comcast Digital Cable based on my zip code. This WMC setup installs PlayReady, so don't worry about that. After those two setups, my channels tuned and recorded just fine. Others have had mixed results. Who is your provider?
2) No, but kind of yes. You can leave the "extending" HTPC in sleep mode and the 360 will wake it whenever you try to watch livetv. You cannot record on a 360, and you cannot watch without an instance of Media Center being extended to it from a PC
3) WMC will only play cable from the default player, which is kind of like WMP but with 10 foot controls at the bottom right. It will only record to the highly DRMd .wtv format. MCEBuddy can convert any Copy-Freely content to other formats. TIVO community forums are the best resource for copy control information. They are also the largest consumer base for complaining about things like, "In Atlanta this channel is copy-free, but in New York it's copy-once"
Mine works now, so I don't fiddle with it. Might I ask, why are you trying to use that firmware?