or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 25

post #721 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

Thanks for confirming that. I have an LG 42LM6200 TV & when I watch 3D Blu-rays through Media Browser & TMT5 the TV will automatically switch to 3D mode. Hopefully the same will happen when I'm watching 3D TV. Does your TV automatically switch to 3D mode when watching 3D Blu-rays?

Yes, my TV automatically switch over to 3D when play Blu Ray. But that's not the same 3D signal you will receive from cable or satelite. The BD 3D is called FullHD 3D that requires HDMI 1.4 equipments and different 3D signal format. Cable and Satellite are using the same old equipments to pass a signal that is not really 3D. It split the screen with top-down or side by side to transmit a 3D picture in one video frame while the video signal complies to existing 2D video. You loss half of the resolution in exchange for compatibility with virtually any equipement. There is also no flags (or at least none of the devices understands that) to indicate that this is a 3D video. So, you will have to manually switcch your TV to one of the 3D mode matching the video and switch back when you switch to 2D channel.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #722 of 1922
I've accomplished encrypted channel live streaming using free software.

1) Capture screen at 30 FPS with SCFHDSF,
2) Mux audio and screen cap in Adobe live encoder which also real-time encodes it to x264,
3) output the stream to Adobe Streaming Media server developer edition hosted on the HTPC,
4) connect to the stream anywhere using JWPlayer,
5) use VNC or remote keyboard to swap channels

I stream at 480p and 1.2 mbit, (~50-70% processor usage on an i3-2100), so it's not perfect, but still looks pretty decent. Packet drops/and the ups and downs of home broadband isn't an issue because RTMP protocol has some buffering built in. You also need an active HDMI splitter (about $30) to do the HDCP handshake and to sit between your TV and HTPC so your TV doesn't need to be on the whole time.
post #723 of 1922
Um, ok. But what does this have to do with the HDHR Prime and why do we care?
post #724 of 1922
My thoughts exactly. Besides, you can just go buy a Slingbox as it does everything described above plus remote control and mobile apps supported,
post #725 of 1922
Is ewhenn talking about protected content or is he talking about encrypted digital content that is copy freely?
post #726 of 1922
I'm having a problem getting a family members Xbox set up as an extender. If I'm posting in the wrong place let me know, but I thought some of you have experience with it so I'm giving it a shot.

This system was working fine up until yesterday, when my brother made several changes to the win 7 pc that is recording the programming from the Prime.

The Xbox started saying it could not connect to Windows Media Server. I ended up doing a roll back to a point last week when I knew everything was working.

The Xbox still had the same problem.

I removed the extender from WMC and started over with the Xbox. I got the 8 digit code from the Xbox and entered it into WMC.

WMC complained that the code was incorrect and to try again, which I did. After about five tried, I have up and went to bed.

So my question is, how do I trouble shot this?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #727 of 1922
Additional info re my problem above:

WMC fails during extender set up at step three - configuring extender.
I then get a configuration error, and am prompted to enter a new, 8 digit code (which ultimately fails).

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #728 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Additional info re my problem above:
WMC fails during extender set up at step three - configuring extender.
I then get a configuration error, and am prompted to enter a new, 8 digit code (which ultimately fails).
Sent from my Nexus 7

Leebo-

I'm a hdhomerun prime owner, and I don't see how these questions relate to this thread. Maybe some of us are xbox owners, but maybe a lot are not. So, in response to your original comment, maybe you are posting in the wrong place. I think you'd get better answers searching for an xbox thread and asking there or starting a new one with the topic title "xbox extender no longer functioning after unknown changes" or something.

I don't want to whine, but it is a little annoying to get an email notification for a thread I've subscribed to with a question for something that doesn't seem to be related to the topic of the thread.
Edited by greggplummer - 11/23/12 at 12:02pm
post #729 of 1922
Ok. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #730 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

I'm having a problem getting a family members Xbox set up as an extender. If I'm posting in the wrong place let me know, but I thought some of you have experience with it so I'm giving it a shot.
This system was working fine up until yesterday, when my brother made several changes to the win 7 pc that is recording the programming from the Prime.
The Xbox started saying it could not connect to Windows Media Server. I ended up doing a roll back to a point last week when I knew everything was working.
The Xbox still had the same problem.
I removed the extender from WMC and started over with the Xbox. I got the 8 digit code from the Xbox and entered it into WMC.
WMC complained that the code was incorrect and to try again, which I did. After about five tried, I have up and went to bed.
So my question is, how do I trouble shot this?
Thanks.
Sent from my Nexus 7

Sounds like something is blocking the traffic between WMC and Extenders. Check the firewall settings and if your brother installed some new 3rd party firewall, good luck.
post #731 of 1922
Hi, new to this forum. I saw tonight that Amazon has the SD HDHR3 on sale for $55. I would like to know if I would need any other accessories to make it work. One of the reviewers on Amazon mentioned needing the WMC remote. I use an OTA antenna on my TV. The laptop runs Win7, no TV tuner, I'm assuming that's what the HDHR3 is for. My TV is a Sony HX850, hooked up to a D-Link DES 1105(switcher). Also, my Xbox and blu-ray player are hooked into the switcher. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to set it up. TIA
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Television-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
post #732 of 1922
This thread is about the Prime (with Cablecard tuners), not the original HDHR. Great price on that one though.
post #733 of 1922
The HDHR products work with a mouse if you're using WMC. Win7's WMC is slightly better with a mouse than Vista's, but both are fine. I've not tried Win8's WMC.
post #734 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

This thread is about the Prime (with Cablecard tuners), not the original HDHR. Great price on that one though.

Sorry about posting in the wrong thread but this is the only one that came up when I did a search that had to do with the HomeRun. I didn't even know there was a Prime model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

The HDHR products work with a mouse if you're using WMC. Win7's WMC is slightly better with a mouse than Vista's, but both are fine. I've not tried Win8's WMC.

Thanks for the info.
post #735 of 1922
I still haven't gotten any answers to my Xbox issue, not even in the dedicated Xbox thread. So if anyone here is a media extender expert, feel free to PM me please.

Anyway, I have another question. I just ordered the Win 8 update. Are there any known issues getting the Prime working with Windows 8's Media Center?
post #736 of 1922
There is a separate thread for the Prime and SiliconDust has it's own forums too. As far as the xBox goes, you may have better luck posting at the Green Button forums.
post #737 of 1922
Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #738 of 1922
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Prime and have read through this thread. I have Charter and after reading a few comments, I decided to chat with Umatter2Charter rather than calling the standard support line. However, because I have not been very active (long-time lurker, though) I am apparently limited to 2 messages a day. Do you know how long I need to be "active" or just how "active" I need to be before that limit goes away?

Sorry to derail the thread with a question like this.
post #739 of 1922
Just a guess, but it might be dependent on the number of posts. You now have one under your belt.
post #740 of 1922
I don't know. I think it is based on the number of posts you make on the forum. Using UMatter2Charter is the best way to go as the other support via phone and chat is hit and miss. I was having issues just the other day. Phone support said they "hit" my tuning adapter but nothing changes so they set up a truck roll. I pm'd umatter and within 15 minutes it was fixed with no truck roll.
post #741 of 1922
Okay, thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to just keep posting. smile.gif

The CableCard has been successfully activated and I can view some channels, but the tuning adapter is not working properly. It keeps flashing an amber light and is listed as disabled in the Prime setup menu. I'll check on the firmware and talk to Umatter2Charter as soon as I can.

I'm just about to test the recording of the channels that can be viewed. This should be a great device once the tuning adapter is working correctly.
post #742 of 1922
Tuning adapters need to be successfully paired and sometimes they become un-paired. It is frustrutating as hell sometimes.
post #743 of 1922
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-cablecard-tuner-to-deliver-live-tv/


Interesting stuff....I don't have a PS3, but I might be tempted to pick one up now.
post #744 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-cablecard-tuner-to-deliver-live-tv/
Interesting stuff....I don't have a PS3, but I might be tempted to pick one up now.

There's already a dedicated thread for this.
post #745 of 1922
I'm on day 3 of my HDHomerun Prime and cable card setup. Basic install was pretty easy and everything was up and running according to plan quickly. I'm still dealing with a few issues though. Maybe someone can help as Google hasn't gotten me results on these yet.

First is this error that comes up when scanning for the tuners: http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/testfai/upnp_multicast_send_unicast_recv/
Looks like a network issue. I went through every setting in my router that looked applicable and no change. I disabled Windows Firewall, no change. I setup WMC on a laptop to see if that would have the problem, same issue. I'm using Netgear WNDR3700, maybe someone knows the settings to use?

Second issue came up while configuring WMC on a laptop to access the tuners. The main HTPC finds all 3 tuners, the laptop only finds 2 tuners. This issue is impossible to google! Everything that comes up is is about not finding any tuners, or WMC found them all, but has trouble accessing them. I find 2 tuners, which I can use in WMC fine. I am able to watch the stream from all 3 tuners in Quick TV.

I am loving this setup so far. I really hope I can get it to the point where it's working flawlessly 99% of the time.
post #746 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by arztonyou View Post

Okay, thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to just keep posting. smile.gif
The CableCard has been successfully activated and I can view some channels, but the tuning adapter is not working properly. It keeps flashing an amber light and is listed as disabled in the Prime setup menu. I'll check on the firmware and talk to Umatter2Charter as soon as I can.
I'm just about to test the recording of the channels that can be viewed. This should be a great device once the tuning adapter is working correctly.

I had to had the exact same amber light problem with Charter and I was missing several channels. The fix was to remove the cable card and re-insert it then have Charter resend the activation signal to the tuning adaper. 5 minutes later my amber light stayed solid and I had all of my channels.
post #747 of 1922
My Prime is now up and running, including the Tuning Adapter. Without going into details, let's just say there was an embarrassing user error. The Umatter2Charter team was very helpful, and I am loving the Prime. Have watched several hours of Live TV on a couple different computers. I was pleasantly surprised I was able to watch LiveTV over a wireless connection on one computer (not my main HTPC, which is wired). I've also taped two programs while watching a third, so everything seems to be working great.

Now to try and integrate LiveTV into XBMC and also keep my eye on the LiveTV via DLNA thread.
post #748 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by arztonyou View Post

My Prime is now up and running, including the Tuning Adapter. Without going into details, let's just say there was an embarrassing user error. The Umatter2Charter team was very helpful, and I am loving the Prime. Have watched several hours of Live TV on a couple different computers. I was pleasantly surprised I was able to watch LiveTV over a wireless connection on one computer (not my main HTPC, which is wired). I've also taped two programs while watching a third, so everything seems to be working great.
Now to try and integrate LiveTV into XBMC and also keep my eye on the LiveTV via DLNA thread.

What T.A. do you have?

You can't watch content with the copy once flag via XBMC for sure and I am not sure about the rest of it as last I knew the XBMC epg/pvr was still in development but I haven't followed this.

Good thing that you got Umatter2Charter to help you as Charter, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to disband the team. The best CS channel in the entire company and they disband it; what a lame ass company.
post #749 of 1922
The TA is a Motorola MTR700.


I don't have premium channels like HBO, etc. and I haven't had any problems watching recorded content in XBMC so far, so most of the channels must be copy freely. So far I've stayed with just the official Eden release of XBMC and haven't jumped into any of the Frodo builds yet. I started out using Media Browser within WMC and really liked it, but found the Aeon Nox skin just as visually appealing with the added addition of some great add-ons. Now LIveTV in WMC makes it tempting to go back to MB, but I can't keep bouncing back and forth between them. I may just wait until the final release of Frodo comes out.

Sorry to hear about the Umatter2Charter team, especially with their presence on this site. Talk about convenient.
post #750 of 1922
Palladia
HDNet
HDMovies
Universal
Smithsonian
TWCsportsnet

A few SDV channels for me that get a lot of play time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread