I've been very busy at work setting up new servers 12 hours/day, but I've gotten some work done over the past week. (also, I did watch the entire series of Dollhouse in the HT)
First thing I did was to finish stapling the top edge of the velvet along my curved header. That was uneventful and tightened up the edges very nicely. I then went ahead and leveled my projector because the curves and angled lines were bugging me.
Next, I built my side columns from 2by2's and wrapped them in velvet.
Here's the the first side without it (you can see the pipe still).
And here the column covers the pipe up nicely. I used a 1/2" shim for when the carpet is in place. I also added a backer to the other panel to rest on.
Next, I added the right column. Notice anything odd?
If you guessed that the column was bigger, you're right. It turns out, if you want a 7 inch width, your cross braces need to be 4" wide, not 7" wide. Which, you may notice, I got right on the left column. Stupid brain doesn't work so well at night sometimes. So, I pulled the staples on the end, unscrewed the long edge to remove it, cut the cross braces carefully with a jigsaw, and reattached the whole thing.
Now they match!
You can see above that I added my middle support after I had the crossbeam up. It's not elegant, but it works, and will be hidden behind solid wood, so it doesn't need to be painted. Also, you can see my mounting hardware for the screen.
So now, I took some 5/8" OSB and ripped it down to make my panels for the front. I chose to do this because it was A) easy B) very sturdy and C) did not need to be AT since the area is so small.
Here's a picture of the panels dry fitted.
Then I wrapped my panels in velvet like this.
I made the bottom and side panels, but ran out of velvet for the top panel! So, I had no choice but to...
Which means that I have all the panels done, EXCEPT for the very top one until I get my order. Oh well! Here are a couple pictures of the where I am now.
While I had my screen down, I took a picture of the back of it. It's not super pretty, but for a DIY job, it works!
That's it for now. I think my jobs will be some clean up, getting the rack setup, and getting started on my coffering boxes!
(btw, my kids love watching movies and shows downstairs. I have the 2.35 demo bluray from this board, and I bet they've watched the Rango demo 25 times)
EDIT: OH! One more thing. I wanted to mention that when I have my 2.35 mode active, the velvet on my header and below the screen eat 100% of the light. There is ZERO evidence the image is not being projected natively. It's a very cool effect in person. Also, when watching a 2.40 movie, I zoom in to fill the screen vertically, and the velvet eats the 1-2" of overspill on the sides very nicely. You'd only see it if you were looking for it. The angles I used on the frame really help with that, I think.
Edited by stevegravley - 8/8/12 at 12:36pm