or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinadog's Tennessee Theater! - Page 11

post #301 of 762
My condolences, Bud. Thoughts and prayers from Houston.
post #302 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Bud -
Sorry for your loss. I know it's a tough time.
Glad to see you can continue with the build. Looking forward to pics.
Hey! IF you go to one of your other sites, does that mean you can't update here, too? I have enough trouble keeping up here.
Good luck!
Tom

Thanks Tom.

I'll be updating here for sure. They'd have to dumb it down for the other site anyway for consumers. smile.gif We discussed all the details, but there need to be some further thought and discussion about how they present this online. I expect they'll take/post out of synch with where I really am. Sort of like a delayed and skinned down version of reality. smile.gif

Bud
post #303 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

My condolences, Bud. Thoughts and prayers from Houston.

Thank you.
post #304 of 762
Thread Starter 
Met with the HVAC guy today. He initially said I ought to put in a mini-split. After talking to him for a bit, he got where I was going. Interesting guy, he had a German Shepherd and a raccoon that he lets live in his house. Apparently he's had it since it was very small. Hey, this is Tennessee and all.

Anyway, adding a second zone with a seperate thermostat and the rest of the requirements won't be an issue. I should have a quote in a few days. Unfortunately he only uses Honeywell thermostats - Dennis suggested a Crestron model. I need to do some research. Biggest concern is integration.

Bud
post #305 of 762
Quote:
Sort of like a delayed and skinned down version of reality.

Not that I would know anything about that.
post #306 of 762
The Crestron T-stat will work fine.
post #307 of 762
Thread Starter 
Dennis,

Not being very intimate with the Crestron products, is the CLS-C6RF a standalone device or does it required additional Crestron components to integrate with a remote or other devices? I was thinking of an iPad as a remote, which I know Crestron has an software for, but the iPad will have to talk to a control system, correct? Same with the T-stat? I'm thinking it's probably wireless, but can runs wires now obviously.

Bud
post #308 of 762
The T-Stat and lighting controller are wireless devices. You'll need a controller .. like the inexpensive MC3. Both the T-Stat and CLR-C6RF also work standalone.
post #309 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

The T-Stat and lighting controller are wireless devices. You'll need a controller .. like the inexpensive MC3. Both the T-Stat and CLR-C6RF also work standalone.

Great.... thanks!

Bud
post #310 of 762
BTW ... if you replace your existing T-stat with a Crestron, you'll be able to control it on your iPad as well.
post #311 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

BTW ... if you replace your existing T-stat with a Crestron, you'll be able to control it on your iPad as well.

Great. Thanks again.

Bud
post #312 of 762
Thread Starter 
Off to the big box store to get some lumber to start the basic framing out the equipment and concession room. Got a few ideas on the layout for the equipment closet location, cabinets and maybe even a small utility closet. Will post some pictures and designs later.

Bud
post #313 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Off to the big box store to get some lumber to start the basic framing out the equipment and concession room. Got a few ideas on the layout for the equipment closet location, cabinets and maybe even a small utility closet. Will post some pictures and designs later.
Bud

Do your construction plans call for adding supply and return HVAC into the cold room to turn it into permanently conditioned space?
post #314 of 762
Thread Starter 
TMcG,

Yes, Dennis planned for both a supply and a return. Should not be a problem running them, I have a TON of room in the truss system, looks like almost two feet between the top of the ceiling and the bottom of the subfloor. I'll probably need something to cool the rack down too, I suppose. I should be able to run that quite easily as well. Picked up 60+ 2x4s and some other lumber. It was a bitch unloading them, it's like 105 degrees today. I think that's like a new Knoxville all time record or something.

Bud
post #315 of 762
Thread Starter 
Here are a few photos where things sit as of this very moment. Once I frame out the panic room, I'll reuse as much insulation from the HT room as possible, this way, once the HVAC and electrical is in, I'll get someone to come out and do the theater room correctly. I really don't want to do the insulation. I'd rather drywall and mud than do insulation.

Looking at the front wall:
448

Looking at the left side and the door to the equipment/concession/panic room:
448

Right side wall, shares the stairs and the corner shares the workshop and mechanical room:
448

Looking up into the ceiling at the truss system. Lots of room up there!
700

Bud
post #316 of 762
Thread Starter 
OK, I'm wiped. Got two walls up in the equipment/concession room. Done for today. Knees started to give and my middle finger got stuck. smile.gif What??!?!? When I closed my fist, my middle finger would not bend back for some reason. I had to pull it manually back. Freaked me out a little. It did it like three times and I said, "that's it". It seems fine now.

448

Bud
Edited by chinadog - 6/30/12 at 6:36pm
post #317 of 762
"No, Boss. It wasn't what you thnk...really. Just a cramp from manual labor over the weekend."

Gotta love it. smile.gif
post #318 of 762
Better to have your middle finger stuck in the down position than up! biggrin.gif

The joys of being a DIYer....... wink.gif

I'm glad that it is better now though.
post #319 of 762
Hey Bud,

I'm with ya! I have had that happen to me twice. Although it was my index finger not the "single finger salute" finger. Both times it was after carrying multiple heavy loads of sheet type material (drywall and OSB). The first time it freaked me out as well. I did the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot type of response as I thought I was going to be permanently stuck with an "OK" sign. biggrin.gif After coaxing it a few times was was able to gain use of it again, however sometimes it "catches" at about half extended but with a little extra effort I can get it to extend fully. The joys of getting older and more worn out! rolleyes.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
post #320 of 762
Thread Starter 
Basic framing complete in equipment room. I installed some of the insulation from the other room just to get it off the floor. I had to fix some rough in framing for the equipment room door, it was all out of whack and not done correctly. Because the door is going to be finished out with acoustic treatments, fabric and a sconce, I still may just rip it all out and redo it so I know it's perfect. I still need to reframe the opening for the theater room entrance for a single door. I'll probably due that on Wednesday.

Couple of shots. Still need to figure out the layout for the equipment and where other things will go.

448
448

Bud
post #321 of 762
Thread Starter 
Thinking about the equipment/concession room layout and where the best location for the rack should go. Here are a few options below. There are some challenges. The room ends up being less than six feet wide. I could do something similar to what I did last time (second image) but flipped so the rack would be on the right side. The equipment closet door would face the other door. Not sure that's a huge problem since you don't go behind the rack a lot (options 1 and 2 - doors not drawn). I could also maybe turn it so the rack faces the door as you walk into the equipment room. I may not get the depth I need, but could still get behind it if required by putting a small door in the side or using a pull out rack (option 3). Options 4 and 5 are basically putting the rack at the end of the room, which means walking all the way to that side of the room (and flipping the return and supplies - right now it calls for a return on the door side of the room and a supply on the opposite side). I could make the closet as deep as I want though (to shorten the walk to the rack and give me storage behind it even). I'd like base cabinets regardless of the rack location.

Drawings not to scale.

Options:
607

Last time around:
450

Anyone have an opinion or thoughts?

Bud
post #322 of 762
I think I'd choose a hybrid between options 4 and 5: cabinets on the bottom as in option 5, but rack and door reversed as in option 4. I like the cabinets on the bottom in the drawing because I think it will make a skinny room feel less cramped when you walk through the door. And it's cool to see all the gear when you walk into the room...so I'd switch the rack/door location at the end of the room. Good luck with the planning!
post #323 of 762
Bud:

Just back from vacation....sorry to hear about your Dad. Our condolences. Hope your mom is on the mend as well.

CJ
post #324 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Bud:
Just back from vacation....sorry to hear about your Dad. Our condolences. Hope your mom is on the mend as well.
CJ

Thanks CJ. Mom is in PT, should know more this week on when they break her out.

Bud
post #325 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

I think I'd choose a hybrid between options 4 and 5: cabinets on the bottom as in option 5, but rack and door reversed as in option 4. I like the cabinets on the bottom in the drawing because I think it will make a skinny room feel less cramped when you walk through the door. And it's cool to see all the gear when you walk into the room...so I'd switch the rack/door location at the end of the room. Good luck with the planning!


Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that way as well, unless I can pull of number 3. Would need to take some measurements. Dunno yet. Would like to make a decision so I can finish out the framing and get the electrical done.

Bud
post #326 of 762
Hey Bud. I would say put in the cabinets like in Option 4 but put the rack in like Option 5. This way you have a clear path to your equipment for media exchange, etc. but can still access through the door when needed. Not only can you then use inexpensive rack rails and mount through an opening in the wall, but avoid buying a full metal rack. My heart would be with option 3 if you had the depth, but I just think the media rack placement in any of the first three options feels cramped and forced into the doorway, particularly since the rest of the room is essentially wide open.

If I were to make suggestion for the equipment room I would say make it as deep as you can since it would be otherwise unused space. With my equipment room in my last house I had almost the same set up and I had bought one of those mega media holders like THIS, giving me the ability to put EVERYTHING I owned into this one convenient spot. Technically speaking, the media unit could even be located opposite the base cabinets for even easier access while allowing plenty of walkway room.

Maybe a nice cart-mounted popcorn machine by the doorway (to the left of the cabinetry in Option 4) would be nice to complete the look of the concession area.

Very nice and neat framing by the way - top work.
post #327 of 762
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hey Bud. I would say put in the cabinets like in Option 4 but put the rack in like Option 5. This way you have a clear path to your equipment for media exchange, etc. but can still access through the door when needed. Not only can you then use inexpensive rack rails and mount through an opening in the wall, but avoid buying a full metal rack. My heart would be with option 3 if you had the depth, but I just think the media rack placement in any of the first three options feels cramped and forced into the doorway, particularly since the rest of the room is essentially wide open.

If I were to make suggestion for the equipment room I would say make it as deep as you can since it would be otherwise unused space. With my equipment room in my last house I had almost the same set up and I had bought one of those mega media holders like THIS, giving me the ability to put EVERYTHING I owned into this one convenient spot. Technically speaking, the media unit could even be located opposite the base cabinets for even easier access while allowing plenty of walkway room.
Maybe a nice cart-mounted popcorn machine by the doorway (to the left of the cabinetry in Option 4) would be nice to complete the look of the concession area.

Very nice and neat framing by the way - top work.

I'm definitely leaning towards option 4 with the option 5 rack. I can make the closet anywhere from 4-6 feet deep. That gives me plenty of room left (13-15 feet) to do something with. I want use the room to tie it all together - make it maybe "lobbyish" - include some cabinets, backlit movie poster boxes, or use the same sconces as the theater - do something different on the walls rather than just drywall - fabric and wood, maybe a wall of brick that'll tie it into the rest of the basement. An old chandelier maybe? Dunno. A popcorn cart in the corner would be cool, although I don't think I'd ever use it in the room, would have to haul it out of there. Need to play around with Sketchup to draw something up.

Bud
post #328 of 762
Hey Bud,

Just checking in on your thread and saw the news about your dad and mom. I am sorry to read that and hope your mom recovers with no issues. Let us know if you need anything. Everything is looking good with the build! Wish I was closer to help you out.
post #329 of 762
Thread Starter 
Hey dude, thanks for checking in. Was thinking about you as I was framing by myself. smile.gif

Things are chugging. I'm trying to get through all the electrical prior to my father in law heading north back to CT in August. I don't think that's a problem, just need to make some decisions on a few things in the equipment room and outside the theater, then we should be able to crank things out and keep moving.

I assume you still have the drywall lift? My in-laws will be in Kennesaw the week of the 23rd I think. Are you around? Maybe I can get him to come by and pick it up or maybe you can drop it off, one or the other.

Don't forget you have that weekend booked up at the cabin in October. I'll have to mail you the keys.

Bud
post #330 of 762
I still have it. I used it recently to re-do the front porch ceiling and it still works like a champ. I am in town and either way so just let me know! cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home