or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The best portable speaker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The best portable speaker

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hi, guys. I need to pick up a portable speaker but not sure which one would be best. I have a tablet, and I'm so happy with it. Now I want to have one or two speaker to take along with my tablet, so that I can enjoy movies everywhere. Not too big, mini design would be cool, but effectiveness should be good. :P Any recommendations? Thanks in advances.
post #2 of 24
People have consistently liked the logitech s715i.

I purchased one for my daughter and one for my wife.
post #3 of 24
I really like my razer ferox. Got them on sale, and they're fantastic, and absolutely tiny. When collapsed and in their carrying case, they are about the size as a coke can.
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

People have consistently liked the logitech s715i.

I purchased one for my daughter and one for my wife.

Checked the logitech s715i, but I think the size is little bigger. Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post

I really like my razer ferox. Got them on sale, and they're fantastic, and absolutely tiny. When collapsed and in their carrying case, they are about the size as a coke can.

Hi, could you post a pic?

Any one have some experience like these? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories Wonder the volume would be enough...
post #5 of 24
foxl

I use this and works great:
jbl on tour
post #6 of 24
I really like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I've had mine for several years and for their size they do pretty good,
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskya View Post

Checked the logitech s715i, but I think the size is little bigger. Not sure...


Hi, could you post a pic?

Any one have some experience like these? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories Wonder the volume would be enough...

http://www.gadgetmac.com/storage/pro...=1297461751228
post #8 of 24
Quote:

Those got a pretty bad review. The one's I suggested got a very good review.

http://www.atpm.com/11.07/altec-lansing-xt1.shtml
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Many thanks for all your nice replies, guys.
skl007, that design is really cool. I also love the "JBL On Tour IBT Portable Bluetooth Speaker" on Amazon. Did do research homework by myself on Google, come across a couple very interesting items, http://www.shopsimple.com/ks-speaker.html I think the "Bird's Nest Mini Speaker" is really awesome over there, but then found it's from china. Heard some bad experiences from china in another forum. Should I try?
post #10 of 24
What about....



http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com.../dp/B0002DURV2


I recommend Cambridge highly as a high price vs performance. I have heard this set up, and it is all it is cracked.up to be.. little steep price wise, but you can catch them on sale for 400.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post

What about....



http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com.../dp/B0002DURV2


I recommend Cambridge highly as a high price vs performance. I have heard this set up, and it is all it is cracked.up to be.. little steep price wise, but you can catch them on sale for 400.

Definitely recommend, have had one for many years, has seen many a car camping trip and motel duty, etc. It can do dual duty as a nice small room setup too. Much better fidelity than any of those toy/joke speakers mentioned so far.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Those got a pretty bad review. The one's I suggested got a very good review.

http://www.atpm.com/11.07/altec-lansing-xt1.shtml

They certainly won't be as good as the altec lansings, but they are quite spendy by comparison, and seem like they require USB. The ferox charges via USB, but will work with any device with a headphone jack.

The ferox sound significantly better than any laptop speakers, extremely small, very sturdy, and is great for listening to music with a small group of people because the speaker is omnidirectional.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 View Post

They certainly won't be as good as the altec lansings, but they are quite spendy by comparison, and seem like they require USB. The ferox charges via USB, but will work with any device with a headphone jack.

The ferox sound significantly better than any laptop speakers, extremely small, very sturdy, and is great for listening to music with a small group of people because the speaker is omnidirectional.

They don't make the XT1 any more. The link I provided was a used set for a whopping $40.
post #14 of 24
I tried various mini-speakers, but was never satisfied with the sound. Now, I take a pair of Audioengine A2's with me on every driveable vacation and weekend trip. I keep them in a small bag and throw them in the trunk. They are easily portable if you are driving. Not so much if you are flying.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2
post #15 of 24
You get what you pay for, good sound and small package...nothing under $100 street price will be of decent quality.
Can't help you on something that is cute like those birdy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskya View Post

Many thanks for all your nice replies, guys.
skl007, that design is really cool. I also love the "JBL On Tour IBT Portable Bluetooth Speaker" on Amazon. Did do research homework by myself on Google, come across a couple very interesting items, http://www.shopsimple.com/ks-speaker.html I think the "Bird's Nest Mini Speaker" is really awesome over there, but then found it's from china. Heard some bad experiences from china in another forum. Should I try?
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapedui View Post

I tried various mini-speakers, but was never satisfied with the sound. Now, I take a pair of Audioengine A2's with me on every driveable vacation and weekend trip. I keep them in a small bag and throw them in the trunk. They are easily portable if you are driving. Not so much if you are flying.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

+1000. These are excellent speakers if you don't need them to be ultra-portable.
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapedui View Post

I tried various mini-speakers, but was never satisfied with the sound. Now, I take a pair of Audioengine A2's with me on every driveable vacation and weekend trip. I keep them in a small bag and throw them in the trunk. They are easily portable if you are driving. Not so much if you are flying.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

This one should have amazing sound, but I'm afraid the size is a little bigger to be ultra-portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwong View Post

You get what you pay for, good sound and small package...nothing under $100 street price will be of decent quality.
Can't help you on something that is cute like those birdy stuff

Yeah, it's so hard to find a real bargain mini speaker...
post #18 of 24
Then there's just using personal headphones rather than annoy those around you with a crappy speaker
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Then there's just using personal headphones rather than annoy those around you with a crappy speaker

That's a good idea. Just get one that's bluetooth enabled so you don't have to worry about a cord.
post #20 of 24
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Any one have experience from the X-Mini Max II Capsule Speaker in person? Based on the review, it's really awesome. http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-player-a...ag=mncol;lst;5
post #22 of 24
I'd like to invite you guys to check out the new Boombotix line. If true portability is of great value, you will really like this line. I'd say what is really unique about this line is the built on clip with great power to weight ratio. The 50mm driver on Boombot1 and Boombot2 for sure out punches the smaller drivers on X-Minis. Different look for sure but real utility and function behind it.

For something with a whole microphone/voice control interface, the Boombot REX comes hooked up with dual 36mm drivers in the same palm sized package. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

REX_exploded.jpg


Edited by Lief Storer - 5/2/13 at 10:22am
post #23 of 24
I want to get one of Danley's portable speakers. The Ion. I bet it sounds amazing for its size.


post #24 of 24
Well this thread was mined from a 2-yr burial. But if "best" really means "best" and we're still talking about it, you have this for $400 http://www.klipsch.com/kmc-3-wireless-music-system

or this for $2000 http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-stadium
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The best portable speaker