or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based) - Page 46

post #1351 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post


Just noticed in the Futeko forum that OllyP has returned from a 2 week vaca in Austria. Hope springs eternal!

Yes I read that too! Glad to hear he is back and ok!
post #1352 of 1566
Thread Starter 
Me too, but it's pretty sad as well... that we need OllyP to deliver on features and fixes HiMedia themselves can't.
post #1353 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

The image pauses (repeats a frame) every 42 seconds for 24Hz content like 3D movies. This pause is very difficult to see with active 3D when running at 120Hz (like the Samsung LED TV does) because there is already a pause every 5 frames from the 3:2 cadence required to frame rate convert 24Hz to 60Hz.

I also run it through my 60 hz projectors and don't see it. In my case hard to see is not strong enough of wording. For me it is non existent. I would like to know why when there's no 3:2 cadence in TV's that it becomes apparent.
Is it that they use phase lock techniques in going from 24 to 60/120 hz which gets averaged out in the process? Don't know too much about how they achieve the conversion.
post #1354 of 1566
I really have not had any 3d stuttering issues that are noticeable except cars 2 which I don't think is related to the 24hz issue. It is now playing fine with my NAS after rebooting my NAS so that was probably the issue I was having with mkv's.
I have have issues trying to play a 3d movie in 2d though. The video will drop out every once in awhile making the 2d unwatchable. Has anyone else had this issue? It may be due to the HDMI switch I am using and might just have to run another HDMI cable to the tv to test it.
post #1355 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post


I also run it through my 60 hz projectors and don't see it. In my case hard to see is not strong enough of wording. For me it is non existent. I would like to know why when there's no 3:2 cadence in TV's that it becomes apparent.
Is it that they use phase lock techniques in going from 24 to 60/120 hz which gets averaged out in the process? Don't know too much about how they achieve the conversion.

60hz displays, regardless of technology, need to use 3:2 cadence to convert 24hz to their native frame rate. The process is sometimes called "telecine". When there is no 3:2 cadence then the issue is apparent. Do you have access to a display that doesn't have 3:2 cadence? The reason you can see the issue in a native 24Hz (or 48Hz/72Hz/96Hz) display is that the noise floor is dropped enough that it's easy to discern. If you look at the two videos I posted note how much simpler the motion is for the 24Hz one. It's this simplicity that makes this error obvious.
post #1356 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

60hz displays, regardless of technology, need to use 3:2 cadence to convert 24hz to their native frame rate. The process is sometimes called "telecine". When there is no 3:2 cadence then the issue is apparent. Do you have access to a display that doesn't have 3:2 cadence? The reason you can see the issue in a native 24Hz (or 48Hz/72Hz/96Hz) display is that the noise floor is dropped enough that it's easy to discern. If you look at the two videos I posted note how much simpler the motion is for the 24Hz one. It's this simplicity that makes this error obvious.

I think i understand why the single frame gets hidden in the conversion process is because this single frame every 42 secs gets masked by the constant 2 3 2 3 cadence of frame repetitions in going from 24 to 60 or 120 hz.
post #1357 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Looks like Micca's EP600 G2 is out. It has the same Realtek 1186 chip, so at $120 shipped, this may be the cheapest frame-packed 3D ISO player.

Has anyone received this new player yet that can comment on it? New thread started on it?

I would like to get a 3D streaming player but don't want to waste time beta testing... at least not too much time beta testing....
post #1358 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

Has anyone received this new player yet that can comment on it? New thread started on it?

I would like to get a 3D streaming player but don't want to waste time beta testing... at least not too much time beta testing....

If you can find one, the OPPO BD-93 with Firmware ending in 1219 is the only player that will flawlessly play 2D and 3D iso exactly as the disk plays from an attached 2Tb hard drive. Since doing this REQUIRES a license from BDA and BD Java license the capability has been removed in future OPPO BD-93 firmware updates. However, if this feature is really important to you, you can locate an older OPPO that has not been updated, do not connect to the internet but download firmware ...1219 from the BD-93 forum thread links post #1 and install it to enable the latest firmware that has iso playback. This solution will work with all BluRay both 3D and 2D dated December 2011 and before. It is not guaranteed to work for disks and iso's dated after December 2011. Again, if you have such a player, do not connect it to the internet and be aware that this solution only works for disks released prior to December 2011.

We also know that it is possible to reverse install an earlier firmware but unfortunately this process is a guarded secret. Until the method or access codes are made public we have to plan that the OPPO can not be reverse loaded with older firmware. If and when the process is made public, I suspect the means to play iso's perfectly for older disks will be wide spread.

The reason why there are no iso players that play 3D and 2D iso's exactly like the original disks is because there is a licensing requirement for Profile 5 BluRay disk structure. If you don't care about playing the iso version exactly like the disk as a clone, then some of the lower cost players will work too. But these are also inflicted with various bugs and flaws making the use somewhat frustrating and as seen by many posts by a few here, makes some people down right crazy insane. You will get various levels of performance with these other media devices but if you want flawless, then the OPPO is the only real solution.
My solution is to use the OPPO and have a second BluRay 3D player I update on the internet to play the latest titles. This solution is not 100% but is the best available today.

Also, there is one type of disk structure I have found not to work at all in the lower profile media players such as HiMedia 900B. These would be 2D/3D disks requiring a profile 5 menu to select whether you want 2D or 3D. Without this what you see is a crap shoot from previews to wrong language program. You have no control without Profile 5 menu capability.

Additionally, the OPPO BD-93 with firmware xxx1219 does have one minor limitation. As it must be disconnected from the internet, using iso playback has no access to BD-Live content from the internet. This will not affect basic disk playback but will restrict some features such as extra information downloaded from the internet during playback.


I believe this about sums up the options you have for 2D and 3D iso playback. From what I understand, there are still older inventory available
but no way to guarantee what firmware is loaded on them. As the word gets out, documented iso capable BD-93's are expected to skyrocket in price.
post #1359 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

Has anyone received this new player yet that can comment on it? New thread started on it?

I would like to get a 3D streaming player but don't want to waste time beta testing... at least not too much time beta testing....

There's another choice. If your 3D tv or pj uses 2:3 pull down 24 to 6o hz conversion the stutter some are seeing can't be seen on these displays.
post #1360 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Additionally, the OPPO BD-93 with firmware xxx1219 does have one minor limitation. As it must be disconnected from the internet, using iso playback has no access to BD-Live content from the internet.

Why must it be disconnected from the Internet ??

If you are worried about the player auto-updating its firmware, it will never do it without prompting you first and you can turn off the prompt as well.
post #1361 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post


Why must it be disconnected from the Internet ??

If you are worried about the player auto-updating its firmware, it will never do it without prompting you first and you can turn off the prompt as well.

It's just a good rule because one person may not use it only and could some how get updated by accident! It's a good precaution to take!
post #1362 of 1566
it seems that there are many android apps cannot be installed..... just as a 3D media player is good enough, but not real android player!!
post #1363 of 1566
Thread Starter 
Yup, I've only had success with a few game apps. As it takes longer to boot up with Android enabled, I disabled it. I almost solely use this player for 3D.
post #1364 of 1566
just an idea for 23.976/24 issue: the player could read, if present, the framerate from a .nfo file

if file .nfo is present, the " " tag should be parsed and the refresh set according...
else the framerate will be set as before...

should be quite easy to implement on firmware ...

just hope that himedia developers will be around...

BHH
post #1365 of 1566
I want to confirm an observation that I made on December 2011, about 3D iso stutter when playing from lan in Himedia 900b. I used my old 2007 dell laptop, installed Ubuntu 11, setup a simple NFS server, connected a usb 2 external Ntfs formated disk, and 3D iso playback in my LG 3d TV was flawless over network. I measured bandwidth load: 8 Mb/sec. Then I reinstalled windows 7 ultimate, setup a NFS server (HaneWin), measured bandwidth, the same 8 Mb/sec, but stutters a lot.

So please, stop saying it´s a bandwidth problem, it's a windows problem with the player.

Anybody that could confirm this, please post the results.
post #1366 of 1566
I think it is mentioned but what is with the $ directories, is this a setting in setup.
post #1367 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreO View Post

I think it is mentioned but what is with the $ directories, is this a setting in setup.

No it's a sdk issue
post #1368 of 1566
Great thread! It will take me a few days to get through it all, but from what I've skimmed, I see that the player has some good potential, and a few bugs they need to fix, but also licensing issues with profile 5.
I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to buy one of these. For the time being I have been encoding my 3D iso's to Half SBS top bottom, then playing it off my PS3. So far its been working okay. But i would like to play the better quality ISO direct to my 3D tv (LG passive polarized).
A lot of people talk about whether or not things work etc, but they don't always specify if it off a HD, USB, or Network.
My primary use would be to stream it off my PC on the network. Any troubles with that, aside from bandwidth? (Will it be a problem with only 100mbps connections?)
Does the Hi-Media do NAS functionality? Can I just move the file right to my himedia900b with a HDD in it?

We should define if something is watchable or not. I see some people say the 3D will work, but with a spanish credit scene (bad playlist file), but if its just a credit scene, it should be fine to watch, the movie itself is not degraded. but things like where language can't be chosen would be a killer.

Any other opinions on if I should pull the trigger and get this player? Thanks!
post #1369 of 1566
Well looks like Micca fixed the 24P issue hopefully HiMedia will soon.
post #1370 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy169 View Post

Well looks like Micca fixed the 24P issue hopefully HiMedia will soon.

interesting....could you please tell me which model has solved the 24P issue or point me to the proper thread ?

many thanks
post #1371 of 1566
read here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21830214

need a new chip (upgrade)..

BHH

p.s. ben trovato
post #1372 of 1566
thanks !

p.s. speak Italian ?
post #1373 of 1566
Thread Starter 
I ordered an EP600 G2, on sale at Amazon for $110 shipped. Will eBay off my HD900B. Jack@Micca's solid support in this forum convinced me. HiMedia probably makes Micca's streamers, but I like having someone who is connected here push HiMedia/Realtek, as opposed to keeping our fingers crossed they'll just issue the fixes needed. Now, the only other biggie is support for forced subs in ISO, MKV, etc.
post #1374 of 1566
HiMedia 900 Official Firmware BETA 1.0.4.4

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.4.4.tar.gz

New Features:

1) Network shortcuts.
2) Manually load external subtitles.。
3) Arabic subtitle support.

Bug Fixes:

1) Fix download rate as 0 in network diagnostic.
2) Fix idx+sub bug.
3) Fix seemless playback from YouKu.。
4) Fix disk format failed on some special HDD disk.
5) Fix AAC/MP3 no sound on RAW.
post #1375 of 1566
http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.4.4.tar.gz





New Feature

1) Network shortcut

2) Manually load External subtitle support。

3) Arabric subtitle supported

4) Fix the AAC/MP3 no sound on RAW mode。



Bug Fix:

1) Fix the download rate as 0 in network diagnositic

2) Fix the bug about idx+sub

3) Fix the seemless playback fro YouKu site。

4) Fix the disk format failed on some special HDD disk
post #1376 of 1566
Thread Starter 
Leo, why just pop into this thread once in a blue moon and re-post the same thing someone else has already posted? With your connection to HiMedia, why not do for HD900B what Jack@Micca is doing for EP950 and EP600 G2?

I'm getting ready to ditch the HD900B on eBay for EP600 G2, which is en route from Amazon, for simply this reason. Even the changelog above, which is nice to have after not having any for the last few firmware updates, is kind of cryptic; would be helpful if there was a little more meat explaining what the improvements are or mean. Bottom line: poor user support for, on behalf of, whatever, from HiMedia.
post #1377 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Leo, why just pop into this thread once in a blue moon and re-post the same thing someone else has already posted? With your connection to HiMedia, why not do for HD900B what Jack@Micca is doing for EP950 and EP600 G2?

I'm getting ready to ditch the HD900B on eBay for EP600 G2, which is en route from Amazon, for simply this reason. Even the changelog above, which is nice to have after not having any for the last few firmware updates, is kind of cryptic; would be helpful if there was a little more meat explaining what the improvements are or mean. Bottom line: poor user support for, on behalf of, whatever, from HiMedia.

Couldnt agree more.
Olly does some fixes but his hands are tied somewhat.
Himedia does bugga all since they brought out the 900b.They do botch up stuff on their supposed fixes.
I cant wait to get rid of the 900b too--I am waiting on the next dunes.
Very very very bad customer support from himedia--never returned any emails too.
post #1378 of 1566
/\\/\\/\\ +1
post #1379 of 1566
2) Fix the bug about idx+sub

I love how they give such complete information for us. What "bug about idx+sub" exactly are they talking about? Would it kill them to actually describe the bug so we know exactly what was fixed?
post #1380 of 1566
^^^ In my experience, some idx+sub works and some does not work with the EP600 and EP950 that I have. It's random. These same idx+subs all work on my PC and WDTV Live. So, there is some problem with Micca's players handling idx+subs.
I haven't checked against the new firmware yet to confirm if the problem is fixed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › HiMedia HD900B Full 3D Media Streamer (Realtek 1186-based)