Originally Posted by casscarr2002
I'm returning my HD900B for an exchange, USB ports broken right out of the gate, could not upgrade the firmware from 1.0.26.
I've made some notes to Focalgadgtets & HiMedia when returning the unit for reference. Some seem quite quirkly but considering my experience working through HT Installs and Media integration I found it quite a pain in the arse, I'll await a brand new unit fully working until I decide to keep it or not, the 3D part is a key for me as I watch a lot of this content both in the HT room and in our bedroom.
I know there is quite a bit more testing I could have done but just preliminary testing shows issues so I opted to stop right there and return the unit for exchange straight away and save myself hours.......for now....hoping the new unit is fully functional.
- 40TB Media Server (Media Server) quad core 16GB, Connected to the house via cat6 cable to 16Port Cisco Gbit switch.
- 16 Port Gbit switch ports tested all supporting Gbit speeds consistent for 20 minutes+
- 12 Cat6 cables feeding rooms around the house all tested and supporting Gbit speeds.
- All 12 feed into the Cisco Switch with a Cat6 cable connecting to a GBit DLink DIR-655
- Hi Media hard wire connected with Cat6 to wall (all supporting Gbit speeds)
- 1080p 60Hz chosen for the 2 TV's tested on (both support this)
- 15TB Main Machine (Main) quad core 16GB, feeds content to the Media Server and serves as a secondary media server (also tested content from this machine as well)
- HDMI Cables used are BluJeanCables.com BJC Belden Series-1
- All Systems in the House using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
- All issues below have used both Fixed IP & DHCP
- 1080p 24Hz tested both on and off
- TS Seamless Playback tested both on and off
- DLNA DMR tested both on or off
1. USB ports won't update firmware - LED's on USB Flash memory (used 3 different types) don't light up, indicates faulty USB Ports, would not go past the "Upgrading" screen and would only hang tested dozens of times and to 1 hour - I didn't have to put a USB stick in and just pressed the back upgrade (some call it a reset button) while powering the unit on and I would get to the same "Upgrading" splash screen, I suspect this is not the USB Upgrading screen that should show if it was working properly, as if the screen I see is the first stage screen and if working properly it switches to the proper "USB Upgrading" splash screen while the firmware actually updates.
2. Stuttering of all types of video (.ts & .mkv are the only 2 movie files types on the media server outside of music), this doesn't happen all the time, it seems random but typically right after a power on this happens but again not every time. I see the network speed on the HiMedia screen bounce all over from 400 Kbits to 104,000 Kbits, I suspect maybe the Gbit Ethernet port may also be damaged (or just a system board complete issue) as I do not experience any network speed issues when using the Popcorn hour I have as well as any other transfer speeds I test of 20GB + files just for port speed consistency testing. Maybe the stuttering is not speed related anyhow.
3. This happens every time. If I transfer a file from the Main machine to the Media Server, and I try and play a movie, I am required every time to re-input input my network credentials again while accessing the HD900B, however, If I reboot the Media Server the credentials are then not needed and I can then access the content on the HD900B just fine. This is a serious issue considering the amount of content I move on and off the Media Server. There is a handshake issue happening with the HD900B somehow and a menu change instigated on the Media Server side is causing the HD900B to have issues. eg. I'm on the HiMedia server playing a movie, accessed via logon successful credentials saved and working fine (that instance anyhow), in the back ground I move a file to the Media Server, movie ends on th HiMedia side and I go to play another movie from the Media Server, it now asks for the network credentials and although I input them right, it will always say Logon failed and I have to actually reboot the media server for some reason.
4. I have to use the File format instead of the Database format to utilize the Movie/Music/Photo sections of the HD900B
5. I cannot remove unwanted file folder references within the menu structure.
a. Eg. I pull up my Media Server in the HiMedia - I see a:, b:, c:, System Information, Media 1, Media 2, Media 3.I want to remove a:, b:, c:, System Information which I cannot do.
6. I expect to see MSHome, My Shortcuts, WorkGroup everytime I power on the unit but I rarely see this, it seems random whereby MSHome disappears sometimes, WorkGroup disappears sometimes so all I see is My Shorcuts option.
Probably re-iterating lots of previous posts on here; just another user having issues.
Is there a kickass Dune unit within the $200 range that would be worth a look (with no 3D I suspect) ? I jumped at the HiMedia due to the 3D support but may reconsider if the second unit comes in the same shape as this one.