or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Official Playstation Vita Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Playstation Vita Thread - Page 20

post #571 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

i just picked up a used 8gb wifi vita with uncharted and fifa for $210... I love the screen... but I'm disappointed in a lot of other areas...


Dude, you really have nothing to complain about. If you got a Wi-Fi Vita, and it included an 8 gig memory card and Fifa and Uncharted and you only paid $210, you should be jumping for joy!

Uncharted can be resold for $25 ish easily
Fifa can be resold for $23 ish easily
An 8 gig memory card can be sold for $17 ish easily.


That totals up to $65. You paid $210 for the package, so that means your Wi-Fi Vita really cost you $145! You can't beat that with a stick!
post #572 of 1725
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11044.html

Gamestop has dropped the price of the 160GB PS3 down to $199.99. Unless Sony is just getting rid of this SKU, I imagine the Vita will be following suit soon.
post #573 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Dude, you really have nothing to complain about. If you got a Wi-Fi Vita, and it included an 8 gig memory card and Fifa and Uncharted and you only paid $210, you should be jumping for joy!

Uncharted can be resold for $25 ish easily
Fifa can be resold for $23 ish easily
An 8 gig memory card can be sold for $17 ish easily.


That totals up to $65. You paid $210 for the package, so that means your Wi-Fi Vita really cost you $145! You can't beat that with a stick!


If it wouldn't have been such a great deal I wouldn't have bothered to get one. But my complaints about the system remain... I find myself wishing it was an android device when I am using it... I guess that's what I actually want, functionality of a tablet, plus a killer gaming device.... this one only does the latter (even then the gaming is expensive relative to other mobile gaming options).
post #574 of 1725
"I am unsatisfied with this motorcycle, because I want both a car and a motorcycle."
post #575 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

If it wouldn't have been such a great deal I wouldn't have bothered to get one. But my complaints about the system remain... I find myself wishing it was an android device when I am using it... I guess that's what I actually want, functionality of a tablet, plus a killer gaming device.... this one only does the latter (even then the gaming is expensive relative to other mobile gaming options).

Did you research the system beforehand, to understand its functionality? I purchased the Vita 3 days ago, fully aware of what it is.....and isn't. I mean, this is kind of like buying an Ipad for games, and then complaining because it doesn't have a controller.
post #576 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Did you research the system beforehand, to understand its functionality? I purchased the Vita 3 days ago, fully aware of what it is.....and isn't. I mean, this is kind of like buying an Ipad for games, and then complaining because it doesn't have a controller.

Yeah, what dude wants, doesn't currently exist. What he really wants is a 7 inch touchpad device that has dual thumbsticks and buttons, etc, etc. Such an animal doesn't exist yet at retail.

The Vita doesn't have a 7 inch screen, but it does have a beautiful 5 inch OLED screen. It doesn't have all the functionality of an android device, but if you want to play some SERIOUS games on it, then you can. I guarantee you that no tablets can play Fifa like the Vita plays Fifa.
post #577 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Did you research the system beforehand, to understand its functionality? I purchased the Vita 3 days ago, fully aware of what it is.....and isn't. I mean, this is kind of like buying an Ipad for games, and then complaining because it doesn't have a controller.

I'm just giving my impressions of the device, I knew what I was getting myself into... I can still question why it wasn't implemented a certain way... why couldn't this have been a tablet like device that also happens to be a killer gaming device?... there is nothing on the market right now that does both. I'm sure sony thought about partnering with google or apple... but they must have figured they'd make more $ on their own than having to pay either of those 2 for the use of the operating system.
post #578 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I'm just giving my impressions of the device, I knew what I was getting myself into... I can still question why it wasn't implemented a certain way... why couldn't this have been a tablet like device that also happens to be a killer gaming device?... there is nothing on the market right now that does both.

That's fine, that's your right to do so, but I still find it to be an odd beef with the system. "Gee I wish this was more like an android tablet with killer gaming abilities!'' Knowing what you were getting into, and then complaining about what it isn't, just seems a bit strange to me. Not trying to pick an argument, but it would be like me saying 'I'm a bit disappointed in my Vita. Why didn't they design it with dual screens and glasses-free 3D!' As it is, the Vita's OS interface is clearly inspired by tablets anyways with the icons and touch screen interface.

Personally, I've done my share of tablet gaming for 2 years now, I'm actually looking forward to some traditional gaming with Vita.
post #579 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I'm just giving my impressions of the device, I knew what I was getting myself into... I can still question why it wasn't implemented a certain way... why couldn't this have been a tablet like device that also happens to be a killer gaming device?... there is nothing on the market right now that does both. I'm sure sony thought about partnering with google or apple... but they must have figured they'd make more $ on their own than having to pay either of those 2 for the use of the operating system.

Sony has a full line of Android tablets. And you don't need to pay Google to use Android, that's why it is so popular. So obviously it could have been done. The question is why?

Android is poorly suited for a gaming device. It eats up lots of CPU cycles and RAM that could be used to power the games. A tablet running Android needs 1 gig of memory at least while the Vita has half that. The OS has to do all this stuff that a game system doesn't. They would also be partly dependent on Google for updates, as well as being beholden to their release schedule. And opening it up to the Android Market and all that it entails basically means that Sony gives up a lot of control over their platform.

Like, for example: Android needs apps to set up gamepad support for games. So then who is going to be blamed when game XYZ comes out and Joe User doesn't know how to do that and their d-pad doesn't work? Or the game has bugs and doesn't offer full support? Obviously, Sony. It would just be a mess.

It's possibly Sony could have done what Amazon did, and forked Android to make their own custom build with their own app store and so forth. But then it's not exactly Android so it's not quite what you would want anyway.
post #580 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The Vita doesn't have a 7 inch screen, but it does have a beautiful 5 inch OLED screen.

That screen is something, isn't it? I just stared at the screen for a few minutes when playing the Rayman demo.
post #581 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

...why couldn't this have been...

Do you look at women the same way?
post #582 of 1725
Jeez guys, lay off him. He's just giving his opinions. Perhaps it will give other people food for thought if they are on the fence about getting one. I don't think it does the community any good to try and discredit opposing views (and yeah, saying that, "It just seems a bit strange" is trying to discredit it. No matter how passive-aggressive you try to write it.)

I can certainly see his point. In this day, a great mobile game machine is still just a one-trick-pony. People need to make peace with that before they purchase it. Yeah, maybe he didn't, but that doesn't me you should try and keep other people from hearing about it and being made aware of it.

-Suntan
post #583 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

That screen is something, isn't it? I just stared at the screen for a few minutes when playing the Rayman demo.

I think Hot Shots might even be more amazing than Rayman, in terms of showing off "dat" screen. It's definitely a close call between those two. I give a slight edge to Hot Shots, because it has all those meters and everything that are on the screen. Seeing all those meters looking so amazingly crisp and well defined makes me get a warm fuzzy feeling inside....

Is that wrong of me ?
post #584 of 1725
I knew fully well what I was getting as well when I got the PS VITA but theirs absolutely nothing wrong with wanting it to be better like adding a Skype app, YouTube app and full remote play for most games just to name a few things. The more people talk about it, the greater the chances of Sony giving what we want and at the same time, more features equals more sales. The PS VITA maybe a gaming device first but then again, Smart phones are supposed to be for taking phone calls first. It's sort of a similar situation.
post #585 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Jeez guys, lay off him. He's just giving his opinions. Perhaps it will give other people food for thought if they are on the fence about getting one. I don't think it does the community any good to try and discredit opposing views (and yeah, saying that, "It just seems a bit strange" is trying to discredit it. No matter how passive-aggressive you try to write it.)

I can certainly see his point. In this day, a great mobile game machine is still just a one-trick-pony. People need to make peace with that before they purchase it. Yeah, maybe he didn't, but that doesn't me you should try and keep other people from hearing about it and being made aware of it.

-Suntan

He's free to give his opinion, and we're equally free to counter it. No-one is being passive-aggressive, discrediting his opinion, or trying to keep him from expressing it and making people aware. Exactly how does one go about 'keeping' someone from expressing their opinion on a message board, anyway?

It's very simple: Sony made a device that isn't what he wants. What he really wants is a android tablet-like interface that's also a killer dedicated gaming device. Ok cool, NOTHING wrong with wanting that. However, he claims to be aware of what he was getting into when he bought the Vita, so he wasn't 'uninformed' of what the device is, and isn't. Hopefully he can make peace with his purchase in time. But yes, pardon me if I find that particular beef to be an odd one. "Geez Sony, why didn't you design the Vita with dual screens and 3D? I don't like the way you designed the Vita. But having said that, I'll buy it anyway and complain because it doesn't have dual screens and 3D."

And, for the record, I agree that some of the functionality can perhaps be improved, like the tap bubble and the lack of content on PSN. They need to get moving on PS1 and PSP game compatibility, but these are issues that we know are being resolved( and they should have been available at launch).
post #586 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I knew fully well what I was getting as well when I got the PS VITA but theirs absolutely nothing wrong with wanting it to be better like adding a Skype app, YouTube app and full remote play for most games just to name a few things. The more people talk about it, the greater the chances of Sony giving what we want and at the same time, more features equals more sales.

From what I've read, Skype is coming. They already have a facebook app, so a youtube app and things of that nature seem like a logical feature to add. They'd be wise to add remote play for PS3( there already is for PS1).
post #587 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I think Hot Shots might even be more amazing than Rayman, in terms of showing off "dat" screen. It's definitely a close call between those two. I give a slight edge to Hot Shots, because it has all those meters and everything that are on the screen. Seeing all those meters looking so amazingly crisp and well defined makes me get a warm fuzzy feeling inside....

Is that wrong of me ?

I wasn't 'as' wowed with Hot Shots, it does look impressive. So far, I haven't seen anything that didn't impress me visually, perhaps I have forgiving eyes? Rayman in particular, has those colors that just burst off the screen. I'm really torn between buying the Vita version or the 360 one.
post #588 of 1725
If you are a fan of space combat SIMS, check out the link below:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ht-inceptiontm
post #589 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

"Geez Sony, why didn't you design the Vita with dual screens and 3D? I don't like the way you designed the Vita. But having said that, I'll buy it anyway and complain because it doesn't have dual screens and 3D."

Jeez... so asking the device to be a great tablet and gaming machine is too much? Your example of the 3d is a poor one... I'm complaining about software not the hardware... I would think software could have been developed to do what I think would have made this thing a must own device. I just think a device that could provide tablet functionality with dedicated gaming controls would sell like hotcakes. I don't see/understand why Sony didn't try that approach with vita... for all I know maybe they did try, but perhaps it wasn't possible to produce right now and be able to sell it a decent price point. That's all... as I use the Vita more I am enjoying it more and more, I mean the screen on this device is just awesome. But my opinion isn't going to change... I buy plenty of devices and complain/discuss things I think could have improved the device...
post #590 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

Jeez... so asking the device to be a great tablet and gaming machine is too much?


Sorry, it's not a great tablet and gaming machine. I'm not saying your vision for the 'ideal' portable gaming device is too much but again, the Vita is what it is, and isn't what it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


Your example of the 3d is a poor one... I'm complaining about software not the hardware...


The analogy wasn't about the software/hardware aspect of it. It was to illustrate that if something doesn't cater to my needs, odds are very high I'm not spending money on it. The choice was yours to buy it even though it's not what you think it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


I would think software could have been developed to do what I think would have made this thing a must own device.


I happen to think the OS is fine as is, aside from a few tweaks and additions. You're talking about the device functioning as something that Sony either didn't envision or didn't want when they designed it. You could always email them and share your personal vision of what you think the Vita should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


I just think a device that could provide tablet functionality with dedicated gaming controls would sell like hotcakes.


Undoubtedly. But the Vita isn't that device, and that device hasn't been created yet. When such a device exists, I'm sure we'll all be running to the stores like crazed lunatics to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


I don't see/understand why Sony didn't try that approach with vita...


Perhaps it's not what they wanted the system to be? Again, emailing them may yield the answers you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


as I use the Vita more I am enjoying it more and more


Good to hear. Genuinely good to hear.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post


But my opinion isn't going to change...


I wouldn't expect otherwise. My opinion isn't changing either. Really I didn't intend for this to turn into some long debate, I initially asked you if you researched the device before buying it. There was no malice behind that question, I was genuinely curious as to why you'd buy something with foreknowledge that it isn't what you think it should be.
post #591 of 1725
Is anybody playing any PSP games on their Vita? If so, what are you playing, and does it look any better on the Vita screen ? If you can post some pics of a PSP game running on your Vita screen, that would be cool too. I'd love to see if there is any obvious improvement.
post #592 of 1725
Here's a video I saw on YouTube:

post #593 of 1725



Man.... That has me SO tempted... But $14.99 for a digital download of a PSP game from 2005 ?





This is even better, but I'm just not much of a Final Fantasy guy. Still.... that looks absolutely amazing on that Vita screen.









A few more of FF IV
post #594 of 1725
I got Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max that I bought for $10. I wish I can get Tekken 6 but definitely not for $40.

Here's a comparison video from someone else that I found on YouTube in the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_eThVsTJ0
post #595 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post


Man.... That has me SO tempted... But $14.99 for a digital download of a PSP game from 2005 ?


Yep, ridiculous pricing. While the Vita library is filling out, I don't understand why Sony doesn't drop their PSP catalog pricing, at least the first party titles, down to bargain bin level. How many people are going to pay $14.99 for a 7 year old title, compared to the number of people who would buy it if you halved the price?

Hell, I'm thinking about getting Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 even though I own both for the SNES, but at $10 a pop?
post #596 of 1725
I just bought the 3G PSV for $200 with NGS Plus, Ultimate MvC3 and Escape Plan (both downloads) with an 8 GB card for $200.

It's a tiny bit beat up (slight scratches on the edges, sticks have some pock marks) but it works fine. The only thing I'm disappointed with is Sony's "one profile per PSV" policy. In order to load my PSN ID and erase the previous owner's ID, I had to format the card and bring the PSV back to factory settings. Doing that erased both Ultimate and Escape Plan (since they're tied with his ID, not mine) and now I'm only left with NGS Plus (it's is a retail game). If Sony had allowed two profiles on one handheld, this wouldn't have been an issue. So I ended up with 1 PSV, 1 game, and 1 8 GB card.

Thanks Sony.
post #597 of 1725
Unless he deactivated it. Most peeps don't think to do that though. Your example is why they did it though, to help the developer's revenues.
post #598 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

...The only thing I'm disappointed with is Sony's "one profile per PSV" policy.

Technically, it's one profile per memory card. Instructions for switching accounts are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWsKE6tStQ
post #599 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post

Technically, it's one profile per memory card. Instructions for switching accounts are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWsKE6tStQ

Same difference. PSV not usable without card = one profile per PSV.

Yeah, people pirated the PSP like crazy but if my brother and I wanted to share a PSV, it's not possible. I don't see what's so evil about letting two profiles onto the same handheld/card/whatever.
post #600 of 1725
Sure you can share it, you are required to have two cards though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Official Playstation Vita Thread