or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Official Playstation Vita Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Playstation Vita Thread - Page 30

post #871 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/08/vita-update-memory-cards/
You can still sell it... the new owner's Vita will just force a reformat.

Yeah thanks, probably should have read into it a little more before asking. I was on another gaming forum, and this topic has predictably created quite a stir.
post #872 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Yeah thanks, probably should have read into it a little more before asking. I was on another gaming forum, and this topic has predictably created quite a stir.
Like I said earlier, this is no more or less than what Sony claimed would be the case at launch. People were up in arms about it back then, too. There were a lot of mixed messages coming from Sony about this. And it wasn't even until after launch that people knew what the account limitations were. Post-launch, most people probably didn't even realize it was possible to have multiple accounts without reformatting the card (assuming they were savvy enough to know they could have multiple region accounts in the first place).
post #873 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Like I said earlier, this is no more or less than what Sony claimed would be the case at launch. People were up in arms about it back then, too. There were a lot of mixed messages coming from Sony about this. And it wasn't even until after launch that people knew what the account limitations were. Post-launch, most people probably didn't even realize it was possible to have multiple accounts without reformatting the card (assuming they were savvy enough to know they could have multiple region accounts in the first place).

Fair enough, that info must have slipped past me months ago but can't blame them for it. In the big picture, my feelings are a bit mixed about the way they've handled things with Vita. I think in order to use a different account, not only do you have to format the card but also you have to reset the console itself as that info is locked within the system's internal settings.
post #874 of 1725
Word is that the Vita's been successfully hacked. I won't provide a link here for obvious reasons. If true, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about this over the next few weeks. Perhaps a repeat of Sony's war against hackers on PS3. Or perhaps a repeat of the PSP's troubled history.

Sony's overpriced proprietary memory cards sure did the trick. rolleyes.gif

EDIT: to be clear, the difference between this latest hack and prior ones is that it supposedly now works for vita-level code, not just psp. Could really suck if this opens the piracy floodgates, or contrariwise, pushes Sony to more draconian measures.
Edited by confidenceman - 9/5/12 at 11:34pm
post #875 of 1725
You always hear announcements about how something has been hacked, and how everything is going to blown wide open, but then you might not hear anything about it again for years, so not sure if this will really materialize or not. I don't like the idea of it being hacked this early when it's still struggling. Sure, sales of the hardware would probably go up dramatically, but software sales would crash and burn, and the long term future of the device would basically be shot.

The only good thing about it being hacked is for them to get some really good emulators up and running on it. Sony is charging way too much money for old arse PS1 games. $5.99 and $9.99 for old PS1 games are you serious ? When is Sony going to get with the times ? Their prices on old PSP and PS1 games are laughable. Price that stuff at 2 or 3 bucks, and then we might have something. It's almost like I'm glad the thing is getting hacked, because Sony is charging too damn much for the old PS1 and PSP stuff. I'd love to buy a ton of old PS1 games and PSP games, but I just can't bring myself to pay those prices. 6 bucks might not seem like that much, but when I can take that 6 bucks and get a brand new, factory sealed copy of Rage for the PC from Newegg, why the hell would I pay the same $6 to play Crash Bandicoot from 1996 on my Vita ?

Now, you price those old PS1 and PSP games at $1.99 and $2.99 and maybe $3.99, and then we can talk.
post #876 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The only good thing about it being hacked is for them to get some really good emulators up and running on it.
This has already been done for Vita, but it's currently only using PSP-level code/processing. The difference is that if this latest hack "sticks," emulation could begin appearing for more recent consoles. It could lead to a full-blown "jailbreak." It could also open up Remote Play, as well as the PS1, PS2, and PSP libraries. For those of us who already own PS1/2 and PSP games, we legally wouldn't need to pay $5-10 (or more) a pop for games we already own (which isn't piracy as long as they're not updated versions). And Remote Play would only work for games we already own on PS3, so that would also be legally protected use.

Frankly, I'm torn about this. My hope is that this might push Sony to take drastic measures to rapidly appeal to consumers and publishers (lowering price, opening the platform to smaller devs, etc). My fear is that this might push Sony to take drastic measures to close the platform in the name of combating piracy.

The best solution for Sony would be to lower the hardware price and launch PS Mobile ASAP, and work to close off the PS Store and PSN to those who jailbreak/hack their Vitas. Seems like a fair trade-off that neither condones piracy nor punishes legitimate consumers.

But this may all be a ways off. Sony may be able to nip this in the bud before it takes off like they did with PS3. We'll know soon enough.
Edited by confidenceman - 9/7/12 at 11:05am
post #877 of 1725
Did the PSP ever have a good SNES emulator ? I tried some SNES emulators back in the day on PSP, but most of the games would have sound issues or other problems.
post #878 of 1725
The big reason for emulating on PSP was that it was portable, not that it was good. I never bothered with it myself. Too much hassle. I only bring it up because it will likely indirectly affect those of us who don't hack our Vitas.
post #879 of 1725
Genesis and Neo-Geo emulation was really good on PSP.
post #880 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The only good thing about it being hacked is for them to get some really good emulators up and running on it. Sony is charging way too much money for old arse PS1 games. $5.99 and $9.99 for old PS1 games are you serious ? When is Sony going to get with the times ? Their prices on old PSP and PS1 games are laughable. Price that stuff at 2 or 3 bucks, and then we might have something. It's almost like I'm glad the thing is getting hacked, because Sony is charging too damn much for the old PS1 and PSP stuff. I'd love to buy a ton of old PS1 games and PSP games, but I just can't bring myself to pay those prices. 6 bucks might not seem like that much, but when I can take that 6 bucks and get a brand new, factory sealed copy of Rage for the PC from Newegg, why the hell would I pay the same $6 to play Crash Bandicoot from 1996 on my Vita ?
Now, you price those old PS1 and PSP games at $1.99 and $2.99 and maybe $3.99, and then we can talk.

The old Ps1 games are defintely well-overpriced; that being said while it would encourage legitimate customers to buy more older titles at no-brainer prices, it won't matter in the slightest to pirates even if you priced the games at $.99. They simply want free,free,free.
post #881 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The big reason for emulating on PSP was that it was portable, not that it was good. I never bothered with it myself. Too much hassle. I only bring it up because it will likely indirectly affect those of us who don't hack our Vitas.

When you say 'our', did you break down and buy a vita, or are you saying 'our' in the general sense?
post #882 of 1725
I dunno... buying Klonoa for $6 with the ability to play on Vita and PS3 seems like a great deal to me!
post #883 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I dunno... buying Klonoa for $6 with the ability to play on Vita and PS3 seems like a great deal to me!


Not to me. Now, you price it at $2.99, and maybe we got a deal. The thing is, with a lot of the PS1 games that I really like, I actually own the real disk to it. So I could play it on my PS3 if I wanted to. The idea of spending another $6 just to play it on the Vita doesn't really sound that economically sound. Some people will say that 6 bucks can barely buy you a fast food meal, what's 6 bucks in the long run ? That might be kinda true, but I look at playing an old PS1 or PSP game on the Vita as a somewhat throwaway experience, and I think it should be priced like throwaway entertainment. Apple has the right idea with so many games being 99 cents and $1.99 and stuff like that. Steam has the right idea as well. Lots of games for 3 bucks and 4 bucks and even 2 bucks. Even more games at an even 5 bucks.

Heck, it would be better if the PS1 games were just a flat 5 bucks. But no, Sony can't contain their greed, and they have to push it up to $5.99 and get that extra $1.00 out of it. At $5.99 I won't buy ANY of their PS1 games. If they were priced at $3.99 each, I probably would buy about 10 of them. That's $40 in lost revenue because they don't know how to price things correctly Too short sided, and too greedy.
post #884 of 1725
Emulating PS1 games on the PSP was pretty crappy because it didn't support analog sticks. I mean, some games were good - games that came out before the Dual Shock, obviously, and JRPGs. But that unfortunately takes out so many great games... that are now playable.

$6 strikes me as a reasonable price. Klonoa is a better game than anything I've paid $1-$2 for on iOS.
post #885 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

When you say 'our', did you break down and buy a vita, or are you saying 'our' in the general sense?
Nope. Got one on indefinite loan. Don't really use it though. Mostly just played around with features. Other than an occasional PS1/2 game on a trip, I don't yet see a reason why it would replace time I spend playing PS3/360/iOS. They need to beef up Remote Play, flesh out their PSN cross-buy/cross-play offerings, and open this puppy up to more small developers (through PS Mobile?). These are all things that have been promised since before launch, but none has yet really happened. That's the only way I see it earning more of my--increasingly precious--gaming time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I dunno... buying Klonoa for $6 with the ability to play on Vita and PS3 seems like a great deal to me!
If you don't already own it, yes. But many of us have pretty extensive PS1 and PS2 libraries. Sucks to have to repurchase those games when they're just being emulated without any new bells and whistles.
post #886 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Nope. Got one on indefinite loan. Don't really use it though. Mostly just played around with features. Other than an occasional PS1/2 game on a trip, I don't yet see a reason why it would replace time I spend playing PS3/360/iOS. They need to beef up Remote Play, flesh out their PSN cross-buy/cross-play offerings, and open this puppy up to more small developers (through PS Mobile?). These are all things that have been promised since before launch, but none has yet really happened. That's the only way I see it earning more of my--increasingly precious--gaming time.

I'm actually selling mine. I've played some of the games but only own Wipeout. My investment has been pretty minimal and because of where I live, I can sell it practically for what I bought it for, so the financial loss is negligible. It IS a great device technically, and there are some good games on it. But it doesn't strike me as a can't miss gaming experience yet, and a good portion of the better games are on home consoles( i.e They did a fine job with Rayman, but IMO that's a game that deserves to be played on a big HDTV to fully appreciate the lush, colorful graphics).

At this point I'm prepared to get back on the sidelines( bough the Vita in April) and see where this thing goes,and if it ever takes off. Sony has dropped the ball in a few areas. In the meantime, the sale money is going towards a Samsung Galaxy sIII. wink.gif
post #887 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If you don't already own it, yes. But many of us have pretty extensive PS1 and PS2 libraries. Sucks to have to repurchase those games when they're just being emulated without any new bells and whistles.

You're paying for the ability to play them on the Vita. If you're a collector, it's the cost of doing business I guess.

Really I sold most of my old games. In most cases I got way more than it would cost me to rebuy these games.
post #888 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

They did a fine job with Rayman, but IMO that's a game that deserves to be played on a big HDTV to fully appreciate the lush, colorful graphics).
So true. This is such a criminally underappreciated game. I'm glad that Ubisoft had the balls to push it after it initially failed at retail. Seeing it pop up on just about every platform available got it into more hands. But, yeah, it really deserves to be played on a large screen. I can't believe that I originally thought this game should have been a discounted downloadable release. It's huge and beautiful and amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

You're paying for the ability to play them on the Vita. If you're a collector, it's the cost of doing business I guess.
Really I sold most of my old games. In most cases I got way more than it would cost me to rebuy these games.
I see what you're saying, but publishers are really exploiting the letter of the law when it comes to double-dipping like this. And IMO they're doing themselves financial harm in the long run.

For example, if I felt confident that by purchasing a $60 game now I could play it without a hitch in 10-20 years on new hardware, how much more willing would I be to buy it? How less willing would I be to sell it to Gamestop or on Ebay/Amazon? Over and over again and in so many ways, publishers of big-budget titles continue to eat their own tails. This is yet another small example of a much larger problem. It isn't just about the measly $6. Nor is it about some abstract "principle of the thing." It would have a direct and measurable affect on new game sales. But publishers have grown so risk averse over the past five years that they continue closing gates, holding onto things tightly, and refusing to give consumers any kind of freedom.

It may be too soon to tell, but the sense of "persistent purchases" may be playing a small role in why consumers have been flocking to Steam over the past few years. Not only are games cheaper there, but there's also a proven track record of continued support on the platform (PC).
post #889 of 1725
You will never know, not even on Steam. I can't play my Mac versions of Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 on my laptop anymore.

I mean, people might think PC games are always playable forever but they do not realize that the platform is backwards compatible because of a massive engineering effort on the part of MS - MS has spent untold numbers of hours and dollars ensuring that every Windows runs software from previous versions. Yes it's self-interest but there's no guarantee they will keep doing it.

That said, a lot of PC games from 1992 or earlier don't even work "without a hitch" - you need DOSbox or, more likely, have to rebuy it on GOG.com to get it working reliably. Most GOG games are, I don't know, $6.

I mean, 20 years ago - wtf. Movies were sold and rented on VHS 20 years ago. That is ancient.

Certainly nobody ever told you when you bought that copy of Final Fantasy Tactics in 1998 for $50 that it came with the ability to play it on every platform forever including a free digital copy when the concept of digital copies and digital stores takes hold (which wasn't for nearly a decade after the game came out).
Edited by number1laing - 9/10/12 at 11:07am
post #890 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Certainly nobody ever told you when you bought that copy of Final Fantasy Tactics in 1998 for $50 that it came with the ability to play it on every platform forever including a free digital copy when the concept of digital copies and digital stores takes hold (which wasn't for nearly a decade after the game came out).
Yes. Agreed. But the times have changed. It was never much of a possibility before. But with the shift to digital platforms and storefronts (and with increasingly PC-like consoles), it's a reasonable thing to expect. Consumers have some legal protections that might justify long-term support. We'll see what happens once the new gen arrives.
post #891 of 1725
Yes, I agree - I think BC in the next round of systems is imperative for just that reason. People expect their digital stuff to last forever. If I buy Tomba for $6 I expect to play it on the next round of systems and the Vita - indeed, people were mad because the Vita wouldn't at first. But I bought Tomba in 1998 and obviously I would need to re-buy it for digital.

I lost a bunch of albums I bought on Amazon a couple years ago and Amazon had (has?) a one-download policy. I doubt I'll ever download from them again. Compare this to iTunes, which, when iCloud launched, I was able to re-download a bunch of music I lost and forgot I bought.
post #892 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I lost a bunch of albums I bought on Amazon a couple years ago and Amazon had (has?) a one-download policy. I doubt I'll ever download from them again. Compare this to iTunes, which, when iCloud launched, I was able to re-download a bunch of music I lost and forgot I bought.
Exactly. Unfortunately, Sony has been consistently backpedaling from its earlier generosity on this front (fewer active consoles for downloads, no UMD exchange program in the US for Vita, far fewer PSOne titles in the US generally, very limited roll-out of Remote Play, etc). I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of what's to come in the transition to the PS4.
post #893 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Exactly. Unfortunately, Sony has been consistently backpedaling from its earlier generosity on this front (fewer active consoles for downloads, no UMD exchange program in the US for Vita, far fewer PSOne titles in the US generally, very limited roll-out of Remote Play, etc). I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of what's to come in the transition to the PS4.

All reasons why I'm content to get back on the sidelines and see exactly how Vita does over the coming year or so.....in the interim for my portable playstation experience I've pulled out my old PSP and having a blast revisiting some old favorites like Hot Shots and Lumines. I'm not even sure if I'm Sony's target audience after owning the Vita for 5 months( just sold it yesterday), because I don't think a 'console-like' experience on the go is what I want. I want quick-burst games for the moments when I'm in transition and have a few minutes to kill. My gaming time is very limited nowadays with my obligations and for any 'serious' gaming I'm reaching for my Ps3 and 360, not my handhelds.
post #894 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I'm not even sure if I'm Sony's target audience after owning the Vita for 5 months( just sold it yesterday), because I don't think a 'console-like' experience on the go is what I want. I want quick-burst games for the moments when I'm in transition and have a few minutes to kill.
I don't think Sony knows who the target audience is either. In a recent interview, one of the big Sony honchos talked about how Sony doesn't want the Vita to be the dumping grounds for PS3 ports and existing IP. Seems a bit too late for that. But honestly, I don't think Sony cares much. They seem happy with where it is currently. It probably isn't costing them too much to support or market, and each unit is being sold at a (per unit) profit. Without a real marketing strategy (because there's almost no Vita marketing to speak of), they're probably not too worried about defining a "target audience." They've already missed their chance to rebrand/relaunch the device, so I don't expect much to change. And with a homebrew scene on the horizon, third parties will be even more reluctant to support it down the road.

In other words, I think the Vita is right now pretty much what it will be. It's great for old PS games and the occasional cross-play/cross-buy PS3 game. Otherwise, my portable time will continue to be all on short-session iOS games.
post #895 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post


I don't think Sony knows who the target audience is either. In a recent interview, one of the big Sony honchos talked about how Sony doesn't want the Vita to be the dumping grounds for PS3 ports and existing IP.

Yes I recall seeing something about that( didn't read the article though). I find that to be a bit of a contradictory position; on one hand he's saying he doesn't want Vita to be a port machine, on the other they're making a big push with this whole cross-play thing, which basically suggests they want ports compatible with PS3 counterparts to be a selling feature. That may be a very good thing for a small percentage of PS3 owners, but I can't see Vita existing for 5-7 years solely as an extension of the PS3. At some point it's going to have to be able to cross the street without having Big brother hold its hand, if that analogy makes any sense. And of course PS4 is around the corner, so will Vita have the capability to cross-play with PS4 as well? Don't see that happening....

As for existing IPs, well most of the biggest sellers are annual/bi-annual/etc releases of long-running franchises( Mario/COD,Madden, etc etc) or the few IPs introduced at the beginning of a generation that manage to catch on and spawn a series( Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Gears of War come to mind). Big budget developers are going to be very leery of sticking their necks out and creating new expensive IPs for an unproven handheld with a small user-base. IMO in that regard proven franchises that offer 'similar' experiences to what we can get on home consoles, but not outright ports( Uncharted Golden Abyss for example) are safer bets.
post #896 of 1725
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/11/ps-vita-with-3g-and-wi-fi-comes-to-canada-october-2nd/

Too late for me, but Canadians will finally be getting the 3G model on Oct. 2nd. It will come with download codes for Unit 13 and Gravity Rush. Can't believe it took this long...
post #897 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Can't believe it took this long...
That should be the new slogan for Vita. In most regions, we're still waiting on: PS Plus, full PS Classics library, PS Mobile, Remote Play, Cross Buy, and probably some other promised features that have yet to materialize.
post #898 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Exactly. Unfortunately, Sony has been consistently backpedaling from its earlier generosity on this front (fewer active consoles for downloads, no UMD exchange program in the US for Vita, far fewer PSOne titles in the US generally, very limited roll-out of Remote Play, etc). I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of what's to come in the transition to the PS4.
'

UMD exchange program was always ridiculous. It was only used in Japan because Japanese people bought a ton of UMDs and had a huge audience of people playing a single UMD that drove tons of PSP sales. Come on... it was NEVER going to come here. Nobody here has bought a UMD since 2009 (exaggerating, of course, but you get the idea).

Sony lowered the number of active consoles for download because people were sharing the games with people on the internet.
post #899 of 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Sony lowered the number of active consoles for download because people were sharing the games with people on the internet.
Having five active devices for one piece of content hasn't slowed App Store sales. Sony's conservative backpedaling only hurts them in the long run.
post #900 of 1725
But the average App Store app is cheaper than the average PSN game, isn't it? It's also more likely that a household will have multiple iPhones/iPads than it will have multiple PS3s.

More generally, though, I agree that Sony needs to rethink their strategy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Official Playstation Vita Thread