or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 43

post #1261 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Stop thinking games, and start thinking applications and it makes perfect sense. Pinch to zoom, gestures for applications, maybe a swipe text input. Lot and lots of functionality a small touchpad can do, and make use of that button pressing and sticks can't. I'm pretty happy with this implementation, beats T9 text entry or a pop up, controller keyboard if they use it right!

I totally agree with this. This is the smart way to do it, imo.


I think Microsoft has no choice but to copy it.
post #1262 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I totally agree with this. This is the smart way to do it, imo.


I think Microsoft has no choice but to copy it.

Smartglass.
post #1263 of 1994
the wii u gamepad has a built in speaker and i like that feature in games like zombieU. i think it will come in handy.
post #1264 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Smartglass.

The problem with smartglass, is that you are holding a controller in your hand, and then you have to have a tablet sitting next to you on the couch. Sure, it's not out of the realm of possibility for most people, but if it doesn't come standard with the Xbox, then developers aren't going to have a lot of confidence in spending time supporting it. That's why the PS4 mini touchpad is a good idea.

I also like the fact that it's not a screen that is going to be illuminating a bright light (projector room anyone ?)

The move light actually concerns me a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

the wii u gamepad has a built in speaker and i like that feature in games like zombieU. i think it will come in handy.

I don't have a Wii U, so I'm not sure of the quality on there, but one thing I didn't like about the speaker on the Wii wand, is that Nintendo used a really cheap, static plagued speaker. I remember doing a post back in those days about trying to somehow mod the wii-mote, and open it up and replace the tiny speaker with a higher quality one. I'm not sure if it's even possible to make a tiny little speaker that isn't all garbled, but if it is possible, I hope Sony puts a decent little speaker in there.

If they do, I think it would be cool to use just for certain sound effects.
Edited by Anthony1 - 2/15/13 at 10:38pm
post #1265 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Is it possible that that "speaker" is actually a mic and that the jack on the bottom is a headphone jack? That would allow any pair of headphones/earbuds to be used without needing to invest in a full blown gaming headset. Possible?

Now I can hear a hundred clicks and button taps a minute along with being called racist names while playing online... I dunno how good that sounds.
post #1266 of 1994
just imagine playing MGS5 and all of a sudden Otacon "calls" you on the built-in speaker and tells you that your about to run into an ambush and be careful. ZombieU does a similar job and it works great. im sure developers can get creative in thousands of ways with the remote speaker.
post #1267 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

just imagine playing MGS5 and all of a sudden Otacon "calls" you on the built-in speaker and tells you that your about to run into an ambush and be careful. ZombieU does a similar job and it works great. im sure developers can get creative in thousands of ways with the remote speaker.
I could see some integration with Move as well. Move the pad around like a metal detector.
post #1268 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Now I can hear a hundred clicks and button taps a minute along with being called racist names while playing online... I dunno how good that sounds.

You'd think the Sony engineers would be smart enough to add some noise cancelling technology to deal with the hundreds of clicks and button taps.
post #1269 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

You'd think the Sony engineers would be smart enough to add some noise cancelling technology to deal with the hundreds of clicks and button taps.

Nintendo managed it with the Wii U pad, too bad so few games use it. (I believe Monter Hunter uses it)
post #1270 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I have a feeling Last Guardian is a launch title.

Hopefully Final Fantasy Versus XIII has shifted to PS4 too. Usually games stuck in "development hell" end up not being very good, but if the reason is because the development has shifted to next gen, then maybe there is hope for them afterall. Add Rockstar's mythical Agent and GT6 and the PS4's launch would be tough to beat. Personally, Uncharted 4 is too soon for me.
post #1271 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Stop thinking games, and start thinking applications and it makes perfect sense. Pinch to zoom, gestures for applications, maybe a swipe text input. Lot and lots of functionality a small touchpad can do, and make use of that button pressing and sticks can't. I'm pretty happy with this implementation, beats T9 text entry or a pop up, controller keyboard if they use it right!
Well, if it's a mic/speaker, as long as your controller is charged, so is your Mic. Less is more, right? (less charging, less cords, less losing that damn BT earpiece). People that don't have a dedicated headseat can just plug earbuds into the port. VC dedicated to controller speaker, instead of mixed into the normal audio mix. Lots of pluses really, and it's actually pretty ingenious that no one has done this yet.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the built in move, and how it'll work. Prob won't use it much, but I'm sure it'll have it's uses for some people.

I didn't think of that. I guess that could be useful.

Re: the built-in Move. If every controller has it, then maybe devs will do something cool with it. I'm having trouble thinking of anything, but I'm hopefully they will, it is their job...
post #1272 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Hopefully Final Fantasy Versus XIII has shifted to PS4 too. Usually games stuck in "development hell" end up not being very good, but if the reason is because the development has shifted to next gen, then maybe there is hope for them afterall. Add Rockstar's mythical Agent and GT6 and the PS4's launch would be tough to beat. Personally, Uncharted 4 is too soon for me.

I'm feeling BF4 as a launch title, either that or BF:BC3. Maybe a Mirror's Edge 2. Almost definitely AC4. Of course it will be at the right time for COD:MW4 also.... We can probably count on an NFS, those have pretty much become yearly, hopefully they don't just phone it in, every 5 years or so there's a half-decent NFS, it feels due. Perhaps that touchpad would make a decent RTS possible?
post #1273 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I'm feeling BF4 as a launch title, either that or BF:BC3. Maybe a Mirror's Edge 2. Almost definitely AC4. Of course it will be at the right time for COD:MW4 also.... We can probably count on an NFS, those have pretty much become yearly, hopefully they don't just phone it in, every 5 years or so there's a half-decent NFS, it feels due. Perhaps that touchpad would make a decent RTS possible?

Need For Speed: Most Wanted just came out.

Check out the soon to release Wii U version if you want it on a console, Criterion is using the PC version for the port, and is actually improving the night time lighting in addition to using the PC textures and models. It is the first multi plat Wii U game that isn't just a quick port from the 360.
post #1274 of 1994
Thread Starter 
Another Sony patent is up - the EyePad:
Quote:
Sony registers patents at a fairly regular pace, and nothing ever comes of some of them. But sometimes, they're just so bizarre or interesting that we have to take a look. A new patent from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe details the "EyePad," a flat tablet that interacts with a variety of functions.

The patent (via Kotaku) was filed in the summer of 2012, and seems to be for the sake of R&D. The screen can act as a touchpad, detect motion above the touchpad with embedded cameras, and track motion with the PlayStation Eye.

The "EyePad" moniker seems to be a code name, and it may never come to market. We have heard rumors that Sony is interested in putting a touch screen on its PlayStation 4 controller, and yesterday we even saw a rumored prototype. It could be that this device is a precursor to that controller, another control option, or even just an R&D project that never gets off the ground. Only time will tell.

post #1275 of 1994
Please don't let this be real. I am tired of Sony stealing every idea from Nintendo without at least improving on the concept...
post #1276 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Please don't let this be real. I am tired of Sony stealing every idea from Nintendo without at least improving on the concept...

Errrbody knows Apple invented the tablet.
post #1277 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Please don't let this be real. I am tired of Sony stealing every idea from Nintendo without at least improving on the concept...
I'm thinking this wont happen, especially with Nintendo failing so badly right now.
post #1278 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I'm thinking this wont happen, especially with Nintendo failing so badly right now.

Worldwide sales for the Wii U in January are at approx. 275k. Not great, but still not failing.
post #1279 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Worldwide sales for the Wii U in January are at approx. 275k. Not great, but still not failing.

That's pretty terrible.

PS3 was ~2 million sold in 2 months of release (+ Japan), and that was "Bad" because of the supply shortages and not being able to keep them in stock.
Edited by TyrantII - 2/16/13 at 11:23pm
post #1280 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Errrbody knows Apple invented the tablet.




Picard frowns upon your insolence
post #1281 of 1994
Thread Starter 
Young whippersnappers arguing over who invented the tablet:


post #1282 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Please don't let this be real. I am tired of Sony stealing every idea from Nintendo without at least improving on the concept...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mheOtyWNjV0

Still, it's true that Nintendo is the one who made motion controls more popular out of consoles while Sony and Microsoft were wondering how much of a gamble their willing to take.

So I guess Nintendo shouldn't be using 25GB discs since that's the same specs of a single layer Blu-Ray disc of the PS3 or they shouldn't have released the circle pad pro for the 3DS and try to mimic the PS Vita.

Anyway, hopefully Sony realizes that Apple is a sue hungry company so I don't know if it's wise to call it an EyePad. It would definitely be a smart marketing move if they can get away with that name and not have any issues with Apple. On the other hand, Apple is probably OK with it.

"An input device for an entertainment device"
That's a very good clue that it's for the PS4 if Sony does make this a reality.
http://www.gamechup.com/new-playstation-eyepad-controller-patent-discovered/

I'm perfectly fine with Sony giving the unit a ton of functions even if they end up including extra stuff in the box as long as they don't go overboard in the base price of the cheaper unit. Speaking of price, I would love to see what the price will be but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they don't mention it just in case their still thinking about what it should be. Just like it wouldn't surprise me if they don't reveal the specs of the hardware.
post #1283 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Worldwide sales for the Wii U in January are at approx. 275k. Not great, but still not failing.
There is no amount of spin that can make the Wii U numbers look good. Nintendo may be able to dig themselves out of this hole, but right now, it doesn't look good. It's selling less than any console in any month of all of last generation. That's about as bad as it could be.

To bring this back around to PS4/Orbis: I hope Sony hasn't invested too much money and energy into trying to follow in Nintendo's footsteps. No one could have guessed things would have shifted this quickly, but they have. As long as Sony sticks to the path they carved out this generation (strong tech and strong first party titles), they should be okay.
post #1284 of 1994
Casuals are a finicky bunch. The Wii fad was bound to catch up to Nintendo eventually. Honestly I don't see Nintendo pulling out of this nose dive. I agree with whoever said they'll be a software house within 3 years, maybe sooner. In fact I'd rather them do that and focus on portable for hardware. I'm always more excited about a new Nintendo handheld than their home console. Just my .02 though.
post #1285 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

That's pretty terrible.

PS3 was ~2 million sold in 2 months of release (+ Japan), and that was "Bad" because of the supply shortages and not being able to keep them in stock.

Sony shipped 2 million, not sold. Their supply issues dissolved by the second shipment barely 2 weeks after launch. In January they put a bounty on any unsold PS3 ($1200) and that came back to bite them as everyone had them in stock, even with the supply issues. Penny Arcade did a comic about it.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/12

Sony didn't post actual sales info until the PS3 had been out for 18 months. Actual sales for the PS3 by the end of January were barely over a million worldwide.
post #1286 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I totally agree with this. This is the smart way to do it, imo.


I think Microsoft has no choice but to copy it.

copy it?
Microsoft is years ahead
post #1287 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Casuals are a finicky bunch. The Wii fad was bound to catch up to Nintendo eventually. Honestly I don't see Nintendo pulling out of this nose dive. I agree with whoever said they'll be a software house within 3 years, maybe sooner. In fact I'd rather them do that and focus on portable for hardware. I'm always more excited about a new Nintendo handheld than their home console. Just my .02 though.
Nintendo has circled their wagons around the 3DS, which they've managed to turn into a healthy platform. I don't think they're quite headed down the Sega path yet. Nintendo made a lot of the same mistakes with the Wii U that they did with the 3DS (pricing and not enough games in the pipeline). The problem is that they have a lot less wiggle room to resort to the same solutions that they used to turn the 3DS around: namely, a price drop, free games, and more publisher deals. But Nintendo still has time to turn it around.

I don't think Sony or MS will face the same issues since they'll have strong third-party support, and they'll hopefully be pushing hard for competitive pricing (~$400). The bigger issue--as folks are probably getting sick of me saying by now--is whether or not the Wii U's low numbers have anything to do with a shrinking console market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

copy it?
Microsoft is years ahead
Care to explain? I haven't seen MS pushing any "apps" on their console other than basic media streaming--which is identical to the PS3 and Wii/Wii U. And if you're referring to Smartglass, I have yet to see that used in any practical or desirable way. No one's rushing to copy that initiative.
Edited by confidenceman - 2/17/13 at 7:51am
post #1288 of 1994
Evolution of PlayStation

Part 1: PS1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7w5i_YCFmQ

Part 2: PS2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvcps5dFzfc

For part 3, maybe they'll say something like even though the PS3 launched much later than the 360, it still overtook it in sales and basically pretend that the Wii doesn't exist or they could say greatest selling system in it's market. Joking aside, they'll probably talk about being the first console to have Blu-Ray. It's not as easy to brag about the PS3 as it is the other 2.
Edited by Paulo Teixeira - 2/17/13 at 12:59pm
post #1289 of 1994
Maybe they can make a joke about how the PS3 cost their company 599 Billion Japanese Yen.
post #1290 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

copy it?
Microsoft is years ahead

They should be. After all, they spent nearly ten BILLION on R&D last year alone.

Here's an article that details some of where that money is spent:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020268/meet-microsoft-the-worlds-best-kept-randd-secret.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post)