or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 59

post #1741 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Giantbomb has some nice video up.


I'm anxious for Japanese devs to do some big stuff. Dragons Dogma is a sign Capcom is going in the right direction.

That Capcom new IP looked like a Combo of the Souls games and Dragon's Dogma. Maybe a spiritual successor to Dogma. (Kinda hard to build on that ending...)
post #1742 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

From their tech sheet:

Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
graphics engine
Memory GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive Built-in
Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

Blu ray drive, done.

Loving that it has a lot of high quality RAM. And the 3.0 USB will make backups way faster. I remember saying that I thought the PS4 should have at least 4 gigs of RAM and everyone on this forum said it was unnecessary. Very glad Sony doubled my wish. You can never have too much RAM.
post #1743 of 1994
True in a PC, but that's not really the case in a closed system. There's much faster diminishing returns, and then you just drive up costs with little to no benefit.

At least we know Bethesda will finally be able to release a console game that doesn't stop working after 30 hours of play.

rolleyes.gif
post #1744 of 1994
It was a very good PS4 showing that showed a variety of games that suits many age groups which is why I don't see absolutely anything wrong with Move music part even though I have no interest in that at all. it's mostly aimed at young kids after all so big deal. That new Infamous games is probably one of the first games I'd pick up. With 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, I bet developers are cheering.

As for the PS Vita, it's a little aggravating seeing how they only talked about the PS4 compatibility. No new game announcement and no price cut of any kind. Perhaps Sony wants to have Vita news for another day which will talk about both new games and a price cut. Their could also be a 4G model coming out and Sony wants to save any news of a price cut or more games until the 4G model is ready to release. That might also be around the time they mention what the accessory port is for.

Oh, it does seam rather strange how they mentioned Monster Hunter being a big game on the PSP. It would definitely be gigantic news if the PS Vita were to ever get a native Monster Hunter.
Edited by Paulo Teixeira - 2/20/13 at 8:51pm
post #1745 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

True in a PC, but that's not really the case in a closed system. There's much faster diminishing returns, and then you just drive up costs with little to no benefit.

At least we know Bethesda will finally be able to release a console game that doesn't stop working after 30 hours of play.

rolleyes.gif

Well obviously me and Sony disagree with you. cool.gif
post #1746 of 1994
Mentioning Monster Hunter during the show was very trollish of them. The series is pretty much rooted on the 3DS now, especially with it selling so well in Japan. Teasing Sony fans like that was just evil.
post #1747 of 1994
For sure that game helped sell a lot of PSP units and Sony obviously wanted to talk good about all of it's publishers today so maybe it would have been hard not to mention Monster Hunter but it's also true that they could have tried to avoid mentioning it if it's never going to come out. All I know is anythings possible in the future when it comes to video games. You have Bayonette 2 exclusive to the Wii U, Destiny being multi platform and and then Fuse going multi platform.
post #1748 of 1994
Whoo! Just got caught up, that looks good. I did call the 8GB a few weeks ago. It makes sense to me. It might not be needed for today's games, but they're designing a system that hopefully won't be putting unnecessary restrictions on developers five years from now.

Re: price. I like paying less, of course, but considering I"ll be using this system for 6 years, I won't mind paying $600 for it. As long as I'm not having to deal with sacrifices that were made to keep the costs low. After all, $600 for a 6 year life of the console is only like $100/year. Heck, I know people who pay half that much every year just to be able to watch Netflix and play online on their 360's (no really, I'm not making this up.)
post #1749 of 1994
Three screenshots from the presentation, taken with a handheld camera.





post #1750 of 1994
Too bad Sony shut down SCE Studio Liverpool. WipEout HD on the PS4 would be amazing.
post #1751 of 1994
The blog has info on a lot of the games that were shown including the trailers.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/
Or you can go directly to all the trailers here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation/videos?view=0

Yes it's common knowledge to most of you but I'll post it just in case.



Here's a bit of info on how the PS Vita and other devices will be used.
Quote:
Leveraging PlayStation Network with Gaikai technology, PS4 will make it easier for you to play your favorite games and access content wherever you are. We see PS Vita as the ultimate companion device for PS4 and it’s our long-term vision to make most PS4 games playable on PS Vita, so you can bring your favorite games from the big-screen TV to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi. We’re also introducing a “PlayStation App” for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices that acts as a second screen, allowing for unique gameplay possibilities such as viewing maps during an adventure game or remotely watching friends play during an epic battle—right from a smartphone or tablet.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/20/playstation-meeting-2013-the-future-of-gaming-is-here-with-playstation-4/

It would be neat if we'd be able to hook up a DualShock 4 to the PS Vita. Maybe it's already in the plans but if not, hopefully it'll happen. Use it for both PS Vita specific games and PS4 streamed games.
post #1752 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Think about this, the Atari had a lot of controllers, and you have no choice but to use the proper tool for the job. Kaboom requires paddle controllers, Night Driver requires driving controllers...

Night Driver used the paddles. It was Indy 500 that used the driving controller's.

smile.gif
post #1753 of 1994
Oops, I might have had a connection issue during the Monster Hunter part of the Speech and I was also doing other things at the same time. I didn't realize that was part of the translation from the Capcom rep.
Edited by Paulo Teixeira - 2/21/13 at 12:33am
post #1754 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

With 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, I bet developers are cheering.

Oh yeah, definitely. Mark Rein (unreal engine) was going on and on about how people dont understand how huge of a limitation memory is. The crytek guys were saying the bare minimum has to be 4GB, with 8GB being better. Its not just about graphics - its going to go a long way towards eradicating load times. Imagine the next elder scrolls, where you walk up to a door, and instead of dumping you to a load screen, you literally just open the door and walk right in. No more of those artificial obstructions like debris or winding hallways put into games just to kill time while it loads in the background. It means less scripted and linear games, because they can load multiple outcomes or paths at once.

I think that was really big news too, because it shows Sony is not willing to give MS *any* ground to say games play better on the nextbox. Now the PS4 has superior hardware over the 360 in every single way. Headset in every box? Check. Depth sensing camera? Check.

Did anyone else get a "Nintendo is in trouble" feeling last night as well? The Wii U isnt going to be able to handle something like Deep Down. That game looked beyond incredible, way beyond the current gen.

Im still a little put off by the lack of BC, and notice how he mentioned they wanted to bring the PS library to Gaikai in phases, but *not* that you'll be able to play your disc games. We'll see. I wish there was at least some way to daisy chain the PS3 to the PS4, so you could at least unify the interface. It'd be a doable with an HDMI in, but it'd be clunky. Hopefully the HD remakes come swiftly, and the cloud gaming stuff works well. Its better than nothing I suppose, its not a deal breaker, and ultimately I'd rather have the 8GB of ram....but if MS comes through on this, I'll be glad I bought most of my games this gen on the 360.
Edited by bd2003 - 2/21/13 at 3:45am
post #1755 of 1994
^^^ At the PS4 meeting, Sony clearly states that the PS3 will interface with the PS4. The PS3 box will be around for several more years. That's one form of backwards compatibility.
post #1756 of 1994
I watched that Killzone video. DUDES ARE WEARING LEGGINGS UNDER SHORTS....CAN I PLAY AS HELGHAST AND MURDER THESES ARSEHATS?
post #1757 of 1994
Ninja Theory and Fromsoftware were on their dev partners graphic. I'll be really happy if that means PS4 sequils to Heavenly Sword and Demons Souls
post #1758 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Ninja Theory and Fromsoftware were on their dev partners graphic. I'll be really happy if that means PS4 sequils to Heavenly Sword and Demons Souls

FROM is a core gamer dev and Sony seems really focused on that. I'd say DS is a lock and that Capcom bit was really cool. I'm hopeful the Japanese devs bring it on, as they say. Western stuff is getting stale to me and the mobile model being applied isn't attractive for me anyways.
post #1759 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Night Driver used the paddles. It was Indy 500 that used the driving controller's.

smile.gif

That's right. Been a while since I played either one.
post #1760 of 1994
Anybody got a link for the spec vs Durango post show? Also, the xbots I follow(at other places) are barely able to contain their butthurt.
post #1761 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Anybody got a link for the spec vs Durango post show? Also, the xbots I follow(at other places) are barely able to contain their butthurt.

PS4
8 core jaguar based CPU
16 CU, 32 ROP GCN based GPU (1.8 TFLOPS)
8GB GDDR5 (176GB/sec)
Coprocessors to handle stuff like A/V encode/decode, decompression, etc

Nextbox (as of latest rumors)
8 core jaguar based CPU
12 CU, 16 ROP GCN GPU (1.2 TFLOPS)
8GB DDR3 (~ 70GB/sec), 32mb ESRAM (~100GB/sec) - can operate in parallel, with special hardware to efficiently move between them, still much slower than one big 176GB/sec pool.
Coprocessors to handle stuff like A/V encode/decode, decompression, etc

Basically, PS4 has the same CPU, and 50+% better graphics performance.
post #1762 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

PS4
8 core jaguar based CPU
16 CU, 32 ROP GCN based GPU (1.8 TFLOPS)
8GB GDDR5 (176GB/sec)
Coprocessors to handle stuff like A/V encode/decode, decompression, etc

Nextbox (as of latest rumors)
8 core jaguar based CPU
12 CU, 16 ROP GCN GPU (1.2 TFLOPS)
8GB DDR3 (~ 70GB/sec), 32mb ESRAM (~100GB/sec) - can operate in parallel, with special hardware to efficiently move between them, still much slower than one big 176GB/sec pool.
Coprocessors to handle stuff like A/V encode/decode, decompression, etc

Basically, PS4 has the same CPU, and 50+% better graphics performance.

Curious if the Sony led out far enough for MS to adjust or are we too close to launch?
post #1763 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Anybody got a link for the spec vs Durango post show? Also, the xbots I follow(at other places) are barely able to contain their butthurt.

You mean the rumored Durango specs? wink.gif
LOL
post #1764 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Curious if the Sony led out far enough for MS to adjust or are we too close to launch?

They could probably adjust memory capacity, but the processing is basically a lock. Still just rumors though, they could be holding back on their devs and the final hardware is far more powerful than the dev kits. But that's a pretty thin bridge to stand on. tongue.gif
post #1765 of 1994
Not gonna help them much since their exclusive lineup is pathetic right now.
post #1766 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Oh yeah, definitely. Mark Rein (unreal engine) was going on and on about how people dont understand how huge of a limitation memory is. The crytek guys were saying the bare minimum has to be 4GB, with 8GB being better. Its not just about graphics - its going to go a long way towards eradicating load times. Imagine the next elder scrolls, where you walk up to a door, and instead of dumping you to a load screen, you literally just open the door and walk right in. No more of those artificial obstructions like debris or winding hallways put into games just to kill time while it loads in the background. It means less scripted and linear games, because they can load multiple outcomes or paths at once.

I think that was really big news too, because it shows Sony is not willing to give MS *any* ground to say games play better on the nextbox. Now the PS4 has superior hardware over the 360 in every single way. Headset in every box? Check. Depth sensing camera? Check.

Did anyone else get a "Nintendo is in trouble" feeling last night as well? The Wii U isnt going to be able to handle something like Deep Down. That game looked beyond incredible, way beyond the current gen.

Im still a little put off by the lack of BC, and notice how he mentioned they wanted to bring the PS library to Gaikai in phases, but *not* that you'll be able to play your disc games. We'll see. I wish there was at least some way to daisy chain the PS3 to the PS4, so you could at least unify the interface. It'd be a doable with an HDMI in, but it'd be clunky. Hopefully the HD remakes come swiftly, and the cloud gaming stuff works well. Its better than nothing I suppose, its not a deal breaker, and ultimately I'd rather have the 8GB of ram....but if MS comes through on this, I'll be glad I bought most of my games this gen on the 360.

I fully agree as well. One of the reasons I got my PS3 (aside from needing a Blu-Ray player and MGS4) was for MLB The Show. I'm a HUGE baseball fan and that game is the best I've played. The devs for that game have stated that lots of things that they would really like to improve upon they simply are unable to do so as a result of the paltry amount of RAM in the PS3. Things such as having players wear their team uniforms during All-Star games (current RAM limits don't allow that many textures to be loaded at the same time, hence the generic AL/NL uniforms), rain delays and postponements, opening and closing of roofs in applicable stadiums, more stats instantly available and historically recorded, more varied fans in the stands rendered with higher polygon counts, rendering individual patches of grass instead of using textures, and a bunch more.

Due to NDAs they haven't been able to say specifics, but they have stated that "if" they had the rumored (now official) 8 GB of DDR5 RAM, they would be limited only by their own thoughts and ideas and no longer by the technical limitations of the system.
post #1767 of 1994
Strange, Sony did not mention anything about 3D or 4K.

I'm praying that has this feature as it will generate a tremendous need for TV HDMI chips, currently limited to 3D in 1800p 24Hz, to be updated for 3D 60Hz.
post #1768 of 1994
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but all the stuff you've downloaded via the PSN? Forget about it. It will not transfer over to the PS4. frown.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/

This also means that once they get the backwards compatibility streaming service going, none of the game saves you have will transfer over either. Kind of bummer, but I guess it's not too shocking. Just means that I will never be able to move my PS3 out of my living room.
post #1769 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Anybody got a link for the spec vs Durango post show? Also, the xbots I follow(at other places) are barely able to contain their butthurt.

Odd, how does one get butthurt over rumored specs? wink.gif

Lets check butts after MS makes their announcement... biggrin.gif
post #1770 of 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrw2 View Post

Strange, Sony did not mention anything about 3D or 4K.

I'm praying that has this feature as it will generate a tremendous need for TV HDMI chips, currently limited to 3D in 1800p 24Hz, to be updated for 3D 60Hz.

They didnt even mention 1080p though, and that's a given. I'd expect most games will opt to run in 720p for 3D anyway, just to enhance performance. I guess with really good motion blurring 1080p/24/3D will be doable for slower paced titles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post)