or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360

post #1 of 584
Thread Starter 






Link:



http://www.rockstargames.com/








Edited by Filipinoyakuza - 9/18/13 at 5:00pm
post #2 of 584
GTA4 was pretty lame, despite having the highest reviews this gen. I don't think I can bring myself to get excited. I hope they have a new engine and better gameplay.
post #3 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

GTA4 was pretty lame, despite having the highest reviews this gen. I don't think I can bring myself to get excited. I hope they have a new engine and better gameplay.

I agree to a certain extent.

The main story in GTA IV was just to dark and same thing can be said about their take on a modern day Liberty City.

I really liked what they did with The Ballad Of Gay Tony though.
post #4 of 584
They need to do for 5 what they did with GTA3/GTA3:SA, competently change the equation.

One can only do so many chase missions, and mow down the goons missions.

The playgrounds are always so big and interesting, and then there's the same three boring mission types that don't really have you doing anything in that world but sight seeing as you run/drive by.
post #5 of 584
They need to fix the shooting in that game for me to be interested. I thought the shooting in Red Dead was still pretty bad. Saints Row has passed them from a gameplay perspective.
post #6 of 584
Let it be an update on Vice City and I'll pay $100 for it. Hated San Andreas, bought GTA4 on launch and never finished it.
post #7 of 584
I have GTA4 still unwraped lol.
I never could started,..always a game that interested me 1st to play.
post #8 of 584
GTA 5 will be a success if they mix elements from Vice City, GTA3, and GTA San Andreas.
post #9 of 584
I want to play in Vice City or a whole new city. I think they need to dig deep in the creativity barrel instead of scooping from the top and sprinkling it on existing software.
post #10 of 584
GTA: Fargo
post #11 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

GTA4 was pretty lame, despite having the highest reviews this gen. I don't think I can bring myself to get excited. I hope they have a new engine and better gameplay.

GTA4's Liberty City was big and beautiful, but it was totally empty and soulless. And for as good as RDR was, the middle ten hours (in Mexico) suffered from the same boring, repetitive, soullessness as GTA4. Rockstar aren't good storytellers. They're good world-builders.
post #12 of 584
It's funny how I just didn't care about what was going on in GTA IV. Yet I had fun for pretty much all of RDR. The two games are structured very similarly but GTA IV just didn't work for me. The phone and the friendship system in GTA IV were the last straw though. I remember finally getting into a groove, completing some missions and then stealing cars for Stevie. I kept ignoring the phone because I was having fun with what I was doing and didn't want to quit. Then I got penalized because I didn't answer my phone, and some side missions go away until I make up with the offended NPC? Are you kidding? Yep, I really hated that phone/friendship thing.

Obviously this game is a wait-and-see.
post #13 of 584
In san andreas you could fly the big jet airliners and other planes but where were they in GTA4 they took that option away so why would you do that. I thought the operation of the big planes was fantastic. Ok they had the helicopter but that dosnt feel like landing a big jetairliner. San andreas was a leap forward as opposed to GTA previous games but 4 didnt take me anywhere. Finding the pigeons and shooting those was good but i found that worked ok only when you knew where to find them. Maybe im getting too picky in my old age.
post #14 of 584
While I'm personally hoping for another round of Vice City (80's preferably for me), the one thing I really am hoping for in GTA V is for it to look like L.A. Noire. I want them to use known actors and have the characters look just like them.
post #15 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

In san andreas you could fly the big jet airliners and other planes but where were they in GTA4 they took that option away so why would you do that. I thought the operation of the big planes was fantastic. Ok they had the helicopter but that dosnt feel like landing a big jetairliner. San andreas was a leap forward as opposed to GTA previous games but 4 didnt take me anywhere. Finding the pigeons and shooting those was good but i found that worked ok only when you knew where to find them. Maybe im getting too picky in my old age.

Like you say, the real problem with GTA4 was that they toned down the over-the-top stuff (the fun stuff IMO) and tried to give the game a grittier, more realistic vibe. And very likely they put so much time and money into the game as it was that they didn't have time/money to fill the city with things to do in place of all that over-the-top stuff.
post #16 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

GTA4's Liberty City was big and beautiful, but it was totally empty and soulless. And for as good as RDR was, the middle ten hours (in Mexico) suffered from the same boring, repetitive, soullessness as GTA4. Rockstar aren't good storytellers. They're good world-builders.

you have to create your own stories in the box of sand they put you in. Kind of like using one's imagination.

I for one find it very therpuetic to every once and a while pop in gta or rdr and wander, cause mayhem, etc...

too much story is limiting and that is not what rockstar is about
post #17 of 584
I loved Vice City and the sequel (Vice Stories). That was just an awesome map with awesome music and some great personalities, plus owning the car place etc. I still play that game once in awhile, San Andreas was good (I liked the pimp out car thing, gang wars) So combo those up and lets have some fun. I played GTA4 through once..once.. never really compelled me to go back or finish pigeons or do much more and yeah the pda friends thing sucked.

The other thing about Vice is there wasnt much competition out there, it was THAT much better than everythign else, not true these days. I will buy it and I will play thorugh it and if they can clone the 2 player co-op of Saints row that would be huge. Nothing better than sharing the mayhem with a buddy. Driving around a convertible while my buddy was doing drive byes was just awesomely fun. Actually Saints row2 was a pretty fun game in co-op mode.
post #18 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

you have to create your own stories in the box of sand they put you in. Kind of like using one's imagination.

I agree, but they just didn't give you as many "toys" in GTA4 as they did in prior GTA games (or like they did in RDR).
post #19 of 584
The only thing fun about GTA IV was causing ridiculous catastrophes in online multiplayer with friends. Using the chopper blades to launch fools into the air.
post #20 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I agree, but they just didn't give you as many "toys" in GTA4 as they did in prior GTA games (or like they did in RDR).

agreed
post #21 of 584
it's a numbered sequel, so it should be quite different than 4. and ever since they announced this game, i have completely lost interest in saints row 3. can't wait to see this trailer.
post #22 of 584
speculation is around a west coast location accoriding to an ign article I read.
post #23 of 584
^^^ it's rockstar. so it's a guarantee that the speculation is based on pretty much nothing. if they don't want us to know, we won't know.
post #24 of 584
I think it was related to some voice acting job postings and such. I think the same rumor was about gta4 and it was correct.
post #25 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^ it's rockstar. so it's a guarantee that the speculation is based on pretty much nothing. if they don't want us to know, we won't know.

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know.
post #26 of 584
^^^ you know that it's set in california? well we'll find out in less than two day. i hope your wrong because i'd like to see the yakuza featured in 5.
post #27 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^ you know that it's set in california? well we'll find out in less than two day. i hope your wrong because i'd like to see the yakuza featured in 5.

I'm hoping we go back to Vice City even though all the rumors coming from sites like Kotaku are saving we are going back to San Andreas.

If it it is San Andreas with Los Santos, Las Venturas, and San Fierro then the Yakuza gang element could be brought back and that gang could be placed in San Fierro or Los Santos. Both fictional cities (Los Angeles & San Francisco) have a china town in them.
post #28 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

I'm hoping we go back to Vice City even though all the rumors coming from sites like Kotaku are saving we are going back to San Andreas.

If it it is San Andreas with Los Santos, Las Venturas, and San Fierro then the Yakuza gang element could be brought back and that gang could be placed in San Fierro or Los Santos. Both fictional cities (Los Angeles & San Francisco) have a china town in them.

More than where, I'm interested in what. They've hewn to the same basic formula for a decade now. What will they do that's substantially different from what they've done before? Will it have online integration similar to the Souls games? Will it even be open world? Will it incorporate multiple characters like Yakuza 4?

As well as GTA4 sold, I'm sure Rockstar is aware of how big of a disappointment it was to fans of the series. If it looks like more of the same, they'll have a hard time convincing all those millions of people to shell out for the same thing all over again. RDR was definitely a step in the right direction, but that was done by a totally different studio.
post #29 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Will it even be open world?

Really? Open world is the defining characteristic of the GTA series (GTAIII and later).
post #30 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

More than where, I'm interested in what. They've hewn to the same basic formula for a decade now. What will they do that's substantially different from what they've done before? Will it have online integration similar to the Souls games? Will it even be open world? Will it incorporate multiple characters like Yakuza 4?

As well as GTA4 sold, I'm sure Rockstar is aware of how big of a disappointment it was to fans of the series. If it looks like more of the same, they'll have a hard time convincing all those millions of people to shell out for the same thing all over again. RDR was definitely a step in the right direction, but that was done by a totally different studio.

Hey man I understand your one of the biggest posters on here that's outspoken about how disappointed you are with GTA IV. I was disappointed with it also big time. But with that being said there is no point in constantly beating a dead horse. Move on. The game is close to 4 years old by the time GTA V releases. If you didn't like GTA IV and RDR was disappointment for you then stop supporting & buying R* made games.

You can rant all you want but I guarantee you GTA V will break records and will destroy whatever Call Of Duty Modern Ware Fare game Activision half ass releases next fall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360