Yes, send a note. They did not drop HD, so how much could the Deep Tracks HD-2 channel have cost them? What a shame to lose Deep Tracks.
The problem, according to another HD FM station in the Bay Area, is that the HD-2 sub-channels have very little, if any, advertising and are attracting an increasing number of listeners as HD receivers become more popular. The stations are concerned that those HD-2 listeners are hurting their audience numbers on their main channel where they have most of their advertising. Will those HD-2 listeners move to the HD-1 channel of the same station if HD-2 is dropped, or will they move to a completely different station?
This problem will get worse in the coming months and years because the 2012 model year for vehicles is when a lot of mass market vehicles are going to have HD Radios (like Toyota). The radio stations are going to have to re-think their whole model as HD Radio usage skyrockets. Stations not offering HD service are going to fade into irrelevance as listeners experience the higher audio quality of HD, but they might not want to offer HD-2.
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV
KUFX here in the S. F. Bay Area is a "classic rock" station. (You know... Take an AOR station's playlist from about 1985, remove 90% of the list, and play the remaining 10% ten times as often, forever.) They used to also have an HD-2 channel called "deep tracks". (Again, think of an AOR station in 1985, but this one played as much as 30-40% of the 1985 playlist.) I could listen to the HD-2 station for reasonable periods and switch to the HD-1 when the '2 played a bad song, then switch back when something insufferable came on the HD-1. Well, with the HD-2 gone, I do not want to even bother stopping on this station as I tune my radio anymore, as I seldom hear anything remotely interesting (and, no, hearing "Black Magic Woman" or "Come Sail Away" again is NOT interesting). So, now I never hear their advertisers anymore...
Should I send a copy of this note to the station's management?