or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Official Acer H9500BD Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 136

post #4051 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2023403 Tiger has them, are refurbished and thinking they are actually new but sent back for the firmware update. Really good price too.

I have wondered about those refurbs. The page says that refurbs are customer returns but that might be standard boilerplate text. So you may be correct about them being firmware updated models. But if they are returns then I will likely have to go through all the trouble of sending it in as soon as I get it for the new firmware. What to do…what to do…?
post #4052 of 4744
Well the other thing about the 7800 is the proprietary glasses. That eliminated that projector from my shopping list.
post #4053 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2023403 Tiger has them, are refurbished and thinking they are actually new but sent back for the firmware update. Really good price too.

That's $100 or more drop from last week. Looks like Acer isn't giving them a full warranty, though. 60 days. Doesn't the new one have a full year?
post #4054 of 4744
Little OT. But not so much.

I was just wondering what screen everyone is using. I am looking to upgrade from my DIY screen. I also figured matte-white is the way to go as I have total light control. I am looking for a fixed frame screen that is no bigger than 110" and have converging on one of the following

1. jamestown
2. elite sableframe
3. elune vision

I am mostly leaning towards jamestown for bets bang for the buck. Elite seem to have some quality issues on screen material (based on the reviews)

As you can see I do not want to break the bank and just want to for a decent screen. Help me with what you use and if you have any particular recommendations from above (or any other that you know/use)
post #4055 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Little OT. But not so much.

I was just wondering what screen everyone is using. I am looking to upgrade from my DIY screen. I also figured matte-white is the way to go as I have total light control. I am looking for a fixed frame screen that is no bigger than 110" and have converging on one of the following

1. jamestown
2. elite sableframe
3. elune vision

I am mostly leaning towards jamestown for bets bang for the buck. Elite seem to have some quality issues on screen material (based on the reviews)

As you can see I do not want to break the bank and just want to for a decent screen. Help me with what you use and if you have any particular recommendations from above (or any other that you know/use)


I just bought an elite sable 120 and have no issues at all. Very happy i finally moved up from my cheap pull down

From What I have read even if you do have an issue with the screen material they will send you another.
post #4056 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I just bought an elite sable 120 and have no issues at all. Very happy i finally moved up from my cheap pull down
From What I have read even if you do have an issue with the screen material they will send you another.

Thanks.

did you look at any other before going for elite?
post #4057 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Thanks.
did you look at any other before going for elite?

I looked at a used stewart filmscreen in person and thought long an hard about a Jamestown. Other than that no. I was very happy in the end with the sable quality. I don't see any hotspotting and it is very uniform.
post #4058 of 4744
Hi guy,

Refer to the below link which show my room size,

http://s12.postimage.org/slz9q2bbh/My_Room.jpg

and advice me if the Da-Lite screen i plan to get from below website is suitable for my room and the Acer H9500BD projector. Thanks

https://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite-71341-Model-B-WCSR-106-Inch-Diagonal-52x92-HDTV-Format-52X92-High-Contrast-High-Power_p_124458.html
Edited by squall12 - 9/19/12 at 11:24pm
post #4059 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Hi guy,
Refer to the below link which show my room size,
http://s12.postimage.org/slz9q2bbh/My_Room.jpg
and advice me if the Da-Lite screen i plan to get from below website is suitable for my room and the Acer H9500BD projector. Thanks
https://www.thefinalclick.com/Da-Lite-71341-Model-B-WCSR-106-Inch-Diagonal-52x92-HDTV-Format-52X92-High-Contrast-High-Power_p_124458.html

I think I responded about the screen size before.You should make "exact" measurements of where the front of the projector (I'm assuming ceiling mount) and the screen will be. If I were you, I'd get them as far away from each other as possible because I think you're right on the edge of a 106" screen (full zoom).
Edited by InCali - 9/20/12 at 12:52pm
post #4060 of 4744
I decided on the Acer 9500 months ago. Then I needed a new refrigerator. Then a new stove. Last week my car broke an $1,100 part which made it interesting to drive. It was a steering component. It seemed to have acquired a desire to run head on into oncoming traffic. I also had the upper floor of my house refloored. None of this would have mattered except that my Mitsubishi projector got broken by the guys who put in the floor. I had expected to just fix up the other things while I continued to enjoy my Mits projector on my 110" Hi-Power screen. But I had to buy a 32" LCD flat screen TV as an interim. The picture quality is great - but so small! I even bought a Sony 3D helmet but I miss my projection set up.

Now I see that Amazon has raised the price of the Acer over $2K. What the hell does that mean?

I would like to buy an Acer with the new eprom already installed for about $1,700. Is that even possible? I have enough money in my "play account" now but I don't want to buy a new machine and immediately have to send it back to the factory.

Advice greatly appreciated.
post #4061 of 4744
Well, couldn't sit on the fence any longer. Ordered my h9500bd from Newegg today. Now I need to decide on a ~$500 receiver (suggestions?) and several more pairs of 3d glasses...
post #4062 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

I decided on the Acer 9500 months ago. Then I needed a new refrigerator. Then a new stove. Last week my car broke an $1,100 part which made it interesting to drive. It was a steering component. It seemed to have acquired a desire to run head on into oncoming traffic. I also had the upper floor of my house refloored. None of this would have mattered except that my Mitsubishi projector got broken by the guys who put in the floor. I had expected to just fix up the other things while I continued to enjoy my Mits projector on my 110" Hi-Power screen. But I had to buy a 32" LCD flat screen TV as an interim. The picture quality is great - but so small! I even bought a Sony 3D helmet but I miss my projection set up.
Now I see that Amazon has raised the price of the Acer over $2K. What the hell does that mean?
I would like to buy an Acer with the new eprom already installed for about $1,700. Is that even possible? I have enough money in my "play account" now but I don't want to buy a new machine and immediately have to send it back to the factory.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Mine should be here next week, so I'll let you know if they are shipping with the new firmware.
post #4063 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

None of this would have mattered except that my Mitsubishi projector got broken by the guys who put in the floor.

Did they reimburse you for the projector or somehow make it right?
post #4064 of 4744
Damn still waiting for Acer (Netherlands) to return my projector (Firmware Upgrade). I called them last week and the lady said that they were waiting for parts? What parts...I wonder.
It's now week four.. (23-8-2012) I want to watch my 3D movies...

In the mean time I am fiddling with my "IP remote" and I am looking for the discrete IR Off/On codes? Does this ACER have that?
If so you someone share it please.
post #4065 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

I decided on the Acer 9500 months ago. Then I needed a new refrigerator. Then a new stove. Last week my car broke an $1,100 part which made it interesting to drive. It was a steering component. It seemed to have acquired a desire to run head on into oncoming traffic. I also had the upper floor of my house refloored. None of this would have mattered except that my Mitsubishi projector got broken by the guys who put in the floor. I had expected to just fix up the other things while I continued to enjoy my Mits projector on my 110" Hi-Power screen. But I had to buy a 32" LCD flat screen TV as an interim. The picture quality is great - but so small! I even bought a Sony 3D helmet but I miss my projection set up.
Now I see that Amazon has raised the price of the Acer over $2K. What the hell does that mean?
I would like to buy an Acer with the new eprom already installed for about $1,700. Is that even possible? I have enough money in my "play account" now but I don't want to buy a new machine and immediately have to send it back to the factory.
Advice greatly appreciated.

That 2K on Amazon is someone who is just trying to scam some extra dough.

New Egg 1649
Tiger (refurb) 1429 (90day warranty) + 200 for 1 year extended warranty.

Acer is not talking about future plans for PJs or whether or not the 9500 is currently being manufactured. I've heard nothing about a successor for the 9500, but can't believe they aren't still building the 9500 if there's no plans for replacing it (this is speculation).

That's all I know.

Nice break in Santa Cruz, but my dog stepped on a yellow jacket....he was "not" happy....
post #4066 of 4744
Anyone buy a PJ from NewEgg? Did it have the new firmware?

You should be able to get the firmware updated in about a week. I can put you in touch with someone who I think will help.
post #4067 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by opeters View Post

Damn still waiting for Acer (Netherlands) to return my projector (Firmware Upgrade). I called them last week and the lady said that they were waiting for parts? What parts...I wonder.
It's now week four.. (23-8-2012) I want to watch my 3D movies...
In the mean time I am fiddling with my "IP remote" and I am looking for the discrete IR Off/On codes? Does this ACER have that?
If so you someone share it please.


I use a Universal remote (The company is literally named something like Universal Remote - Model WR7 or something like that??? - about $15-25 U.S.) and use the learning function. Works great.
post #4068 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I use a Universal remote (The company is literally named something like Universal Remote - Model WR7 or something like that??? - about $15-25 U.S.) and use the learning function. Works great.

The point is that the ACER remote does not have a seperate ON / OFF button, only a Power Toggle. But If the ACER supports a IR code that does OFF and a code that does ON that it would be of great help in programming my homeautomation stuff.
Please send me a PM about this "someone" so I can ask him if he could get some answers from ACER NL
post #4069 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by opeters View Post

The point is that the ACER remote does not have a seperate ON / OFF button, only a Power Toggle. But If the ACER supports a IR code that does OFF and a code that does ON that it would be of great help in programming my homeautomation stuff.
Please send me a PM about this "someone" so I can ask him if he could get some answers from ACER NL

I see what you're saying now. From what I can tell, the Acer OFF/ON (and the extra OFF/ON) to shut it down, is a toggle. No separate OFF and ON.

My contact is in Acer US. I've tried and he has no info in France, Russia, Germany, etc.
post #4070 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I looked at a used stewart filmscreen in person and thought long an hard about a Jamestown. Other than that no. I was very happy in the end with the sable quality. I don't see any hotspotting and it is very uniform.

The more I think about it, I am liking the idea of going 2.35:1. I can use the cheapest CIH option of zooming the image.
As I have mounted 2 PJs, 9500 can be permanently zoomed for 2.35:1 while Sanyo z2000 can stay at 16:9. Hopefully H9500 PQ does not degrade much due to zooming..

I am still brewing this idea...
post #4071 of 4744
Got my PJ back from Acer yesterday. Very quick turn-around once they received the unit. I can confirm the picture is 'sharper' as everyone else has reported. Popped in a blu ray and I was just blown away by the clarity of the image! I'm not sure if Acer is continuing to manufacture this PJ or not, but it would be a shame if they didn't.

I didn't have time to play with it, but the CMS has lots more options for adjustment, but given there is only one user setting, I'm not sure if its worth it to spend too much time on it. Is it possible to add more user settings with another firmware update (without having to send it back to Acer)?
post #4072 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant34 View Post

Got my PJ back from Acer yesterday. Very quick turn-around once they received the unit. I can confirm the picture is 'sharper' as everyone else has reported. Popped in a blu ray and I was just blown away by the clarity of the image! I'm not sure if Acer is continuing to manufacture this PJ or not, but it would be a shame if they didn't.
I didn't have time to play with it, but the CMS has lots more options for adjustment, but given there is only one user setting, I'm not sure if its worth it to spend too much time on it. Is it possible to add more user settings with another firmware update (without having to send it back to Acer)?

Good luck with getting multiple user settings. You might also want to pursue a cold fusion technology that generates more energy than it takes in during your spare time. wink.gif

Having multiple user settings will probably be something some of us store on an Excel spreadsheet or something like that.....I don't know. I'm waiting to get back home, using WOW to do some calibrations, and going from there. The picture is great and for what I paid, I think I got a steal.
post #4073 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

The more I think about it, I am liking the idea of going 2.35:1. I can use the cheapest CIH option of zooming the image.
As I have mounted 2 PJs, 9500 can be permanently zoomed for 2.35:1 while Sanyo z2000 can stay at 16:9. Hopefully H9500 PQ does not degrade much due to zooming..
I am still brewing this idea...

I'm at about 14' on a 120" screen and have been at full zoom. I never saw any obvious degradation of resolution or anything else.
post #4074 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I'm at about 14' on a 120" screen and have been at full zoom. I never saw any obvious degradation of resolution or anything else.

Cool.

From my throw distance the max I can go is 126" (16:9) based on my measurements. To remain in safe boundaries I think I should go for 115" (2.35:1) that goes 106" wide.
post #4075 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I think I responded about the screen size before.You should make "exact" measurements of where the front of the projector (I'm assuming ceiling mount) and the screen will be. If I were you, I'd get them as far away from each other as possible because I think you're right on the edge of a 106" screen (full zoom).

Screen size i can confirm is ok to go until 106" but what i like to know is that the screen that i like to purchased is Da-Lite that has High contrast and High Power if it suitable for the acer projector and my room (Dark room but still got slightly light coming from power wall socket and pc) and the acer projector will be mounted at the back of my wall not celling.

Thanks
post #4076 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

I see what you're saying now. From what I can tell, the Acer OFF/ON (and the extra OFF/ON) to shut it down, is a toggle. No separate OFF and ON.
My contact is in Acer US. I've tried and he has no info in France, Russia, Germany, etc.

Can someone advise me what to do here.
I feared something like this would happen and it unfortunately did.
I have send my fine working H9500BD to ACER NL with just a request to update the Firmware!

Now after four weeks I called ACER to ask them why it takes so long to upgrade the beamer.
The guy at the phone told me that they still were waiting for parts. I ask him why this was needed when it is a firmware thing. He told me that they were going to replace the mainboard, casing and some sensor. When I asked why, he could only guess that they encountered something during the “repair”.

I have send the ACER in, believing it should be back in a few weeks damn. I now get the feeling some noob at ACER bricked my beamer trying to upgrade the thing.
Anybody here has some influence with ACER to get this worked out?
post #4077 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Screen size i can confirm is ok to go until 106" but what i like to know is that the screen that i like to purchased is Da-Lite that has High contrast and High Power if it suitable for the acer projector and my room (Dark room but still got slightly light coming from power wall socket and pc) and the acer projector will be mounted at the back of my wall not celling.
Thanks

Can you just mount it and put it on a white wall? That would at least give you an idea of whether or not you need more gain. I can turn on 4 halogen lights on a dimmer without affecting the brightness too much. I can also open the door to the outside a little if the sun isn't shining against it. What kills the brightness in my setup (120", 1.1 gain screen) is if the sunlight hits or reflects on to the screen. Unless you have sun coming in, I don't think you're going to run into problems with a low gain screen. I haven't tried the higher gain screens and don't know whether it would be too bright or would enhance the picture, but I don't feel like I need more gain.
post #4078 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLobotomy View Post

Well, couldn't sit on the fence any longer. Ordered my h9500bd from Newegg today. Now I need to decide on a ~$500 receiver (suggestions?) and several more pairs of 3d glasses...

Right behind you. Finally took the plunge today at New Egg as well. I was waiting and hoping the price would drop further but got worried that suddenly they would be sold out and Acer wouldn’t make any more. I suppose 1650 isn’t too bad especially with no tax and free shipping.

This will only be my third home theater projector. My first PJ was the old 480p Optoma H27. Then I moved on to the 720p Mitsubishi HD1000u. My family has gotten a lot of enjoyment over the years from both of those. But now looking forward to what the Acer can do.
post #4079 of 4744
@opeters : Mine is in acer France since near 2 weeks, now.
When I have contacted the support team they said that the B03 firmware file isn't available for european projectors. I don't know why.
It seems that when they receive a projector for a firmware update, they have to change the motherboard with a new one having the new firmware.
That explains the big delay for firmware updates in europe. They have to order a motherboard in taiwan and it takes a long time.
I don't know why the B03 firmware for european devices isn't available for the support teams in europe, maybe somebody forgot to put the file on their servers, maybe they don't want to have too many projectors returned for the update process and they slow down the process as much as they can... I don't know.
post #4080 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

The more I think about it, I am liking the idea of going 2.35:1. I can use the cheapest CIH option of zooming the image.
As I have mounted 2 PJs, 9500 can be permanently zoomed for 2.35:1 while Sanyo z2000 can stay at 16:9. Hopefully H9500 PQ does not degrade much due to zooming..
I am still brewing this idea...

Darn. My dream of (cheap) 2.35:1 seems to be ending.

When I zoom, the viewable top (of scope image) drops to about 27". The bottom viewable age it 18" from floor.

It might look imbalanced and odd... Hmmm..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Official Acer H9500BD Thread