or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Official Acer H9500BD Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Acer H9500BD Thread - Page 148

post #4411 of 4744
Just installed my Acer H9500BD and have a question. How loud should the lens sound when the dynamic iris is engaged? Mine makes a noticeable grinding noise when the dynamic iris is active. Just wondering if this is normal ...
post #4412 of 4744
It's not silent by any means, but it's not a loud grinding either. It's a very noticeable mechanical/servo noise if you're listening for it but it shouldn't stand out over your content. I highly recommend following Tim's settings for the dynamic iris (which is adjusted in the service menu).

It'll tame the pumping and really make the projector a different beast in the darker scenes. After watching the entire season of firefly (alot of dramtic lighting changes) the difference was night and day.
post #4413 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Yes I have noticed this. I don't send my acer anything but 1080p60 courtesy of my receiver. I have seen cadence issues when sending in 1080 24 fps. I have also seen some pretty bad lag when having the dynamic iris on and smooth motion.

Yep notice it on my acer as well so any solution to fixed the lag issue on the smooth motion when playing blu ray 24p?

Thanks
post #4414 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter306 View Post

It's not silent by any means, but it's not a loud grinding either. It's a very noticeable mechanical/servo noise if you're listening for it but it shouldn't stand out over your content. I highly recommend following Tim's settings for the dynamic iris (which is adjusted in the service menu).
It'll tame the pumping and really make the projector a different beast in the darker scenes. After watching the entire season of firefly (alot of dramtic lighting changes) the difference was night and day.

Thanks. The grinding noise is not very loud. Just noticeable, especially when switching channels when there's a short blank screen and the iris tries to adjust. So end up hearing the noise on every channel change ...
post #4415 of 4744
I was watching several different blu-rays last night and if I put in Game of Thrones Disc 4 from season 1, it is really bad. I tried Troy, Underworld, no real issues there. I checked to make sure the disc was clean, no problem there. While playing on my Panasonic G10 Plasma, there is no stuttering lagging or whatever. It's frustrating.
post #4416 of 4744
Question about accessing the main menu. Pushing the "menu" button takes me to the "3D Menu"
How can I get to the "main menu" ? I noticed the empowering button is also inaccessable. I get an icon crossed out in red when I hit the blue "E" button.
This has happened from time to time....somehow I got around it. Now I cannot. The user manual does not address this.
Prolly a simple solution I am overlooking. Is this a setting in the service menu? Thanks for any replies.
post #4417 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs9646 View Post

Hunter306, I can't speak for ChiefP and I didn't see a reply to your post, but my 'new' unit from newegg had all the seals broken on it. After reading this thread it seemed like that was normal coming from newegg with this projector so I didn't worry too much. Turn it on for the first time though and it had a pretty bad yellow streak across the bottom of the image that wouldn't ever go away. It was so bad that I'm hoping that newegg isn't confusing returns with new stock or even worse, if Acer is shipping out customer returns as 'new' units to stores after they get updated firmware. We'll see tomorrow when my new one arrives if I get a good one as a replacement and if it also has it's seals broken. Fingers crossed.

Yep, it was broken. They put another "seal" over the top of it. Everything looks new otherwise. I'm going to power it up tonight to see if the firmware is updated.
post #4418 of 4744
Hunter, can you point me towards those (Tim's) recommended settings? I'm reading as fast as I can but there are 4400 posts just in this thread....eek.gif
post #4419 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefp View Post

Hunter, can you point me towards those (Tim's) recommended settings? I'm reading as fast as I can but there are 4400 posts just in this thread....eek.gif
Post #4165
post #4420 of 4744
Hi guy,

any setting in the service menu that can fix the motion stuttering or lag issue when play movie in 24p.

Thanks
post #4421 of 4744
Quoted the settings I used with my first one, I was pretty happy with these, but I did end up dialing my brightness down a bit more than the recommendations here. I ran brightness around 43-44, and at the cost of some of the extremely dark details I was much happier with the black levels in the picture.

The brightness setting at 53, for me at least, was too washed out looking on my white screen.

These settings in the service menu are easily the biggest notable change, relating to the iris (Becareful not to go too far with them if you decide to tweak more yourself):

Aperture Max: 70
Aperture Min: 10
Aperture Mid Offset: 10


Quote:
Originally Posted by timduru View Post

well well well, thought I might share my settings too.
I've been using it for a bit with the new firmware now,
and did some calibration since then.
My settings are made for the best quality while watching in a mostly dark room
While keeping easy ways to "boost things" by changing a few settings if viewing in a room with lights on.
General settings:
Before doing any calibration you should settle what you prefer for these settings, as they'll impact the rest quite a bit.
Bright colors: off (you really want that off, unless you need brightness boost, but for viewing in a dark room it's really not needed and will give you color burns)
HDMI color range: Limited (Really normally it's supposed to be better with full range if the player is compatible, but not sure what acer has done, it seems really buggy and crappy in full range)
Eco mode: yes
Sharpness & co:
Sharpness: 10
HDMI Scan info: Underscan
(same for your player / computer whatever, make sure it's not zooming / cropping the image, as otherwise you'll get remapped pixels generating blur)
Black / White levels:
it seems to be clipping quite a bit of the levels by default in any of the predefined settings.
So yeah using the calibration disk, I settled for these:
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 45
Degamma: 2
(although I might redo a full calibration with 0 and see how it behaves, if you change it you need to go through the levels calibration again)
For the moment I preferred to calibrate it with a default of 2, because when I need more brightness for example if I watch into a full lit room, I can easily boost by switching degamma back to 0 + eco mode off, and eventually bright colors on. Or just switch to one of the predefined modes like presentation or such, as I usually don't really care for quality when watching in full light.
Colors:
Saturation: 52
Tint: 50
Skin color: 2
Colors: Hue/Saturation/Gain
R: 100/102/100
G: 100/100/100
B: 100/100/90
C: 100/110/100
Y: 100/102/100
M: 100/100/100
Other settings:
Dynamic black: Middle (when you do the calibration, you might want to turn that off until you're done with the calibration, as sometime the iris algorithm seems undecided with some of the calibration patterns)
DA Settings (system menu)
The default settings are quite crap, generating a lot of unwanted iris changes,
and after I got it back with the new firmware it was even turning the light completely off in some of the Avatar bluray dark scenes and such.
Aperture Max: 70
Aperture Min: 10
Aperture Mid Offset: 10
With custom settings I find it quite nice, you can still spots a few iris changes here and there, but it's really nothing in comparison to the defaults, and it doesn't completely shuts off anymore.
The benefits of the darker black and scenes definitely now overcomes the rest imho. smile.gif
So yeah, I've been using these settings for a bit now, and I'm very very pleased with the projector.
The sharpness is also so much better with the new firmware, the image quality is really mind blowing.
Even with SBS content it's really very nice and sharp compared to before.
What is a pain, is that sometime the settings just go back to default.
I suspect it's my bluray player, I've turned off HDMI CEC since then.
And well yeah as it has been said before if you change anything in the non user mode it'll just overwrite the user settings.
Really ACER, that behaviour is crap, it almost feel like it's the first time you've had to deal with a user menu or what...

Edited by hunter306 - 12/19/12 at 7:22am
post #4422 of 4744
For what ever reason when I attempt to adjust the aperture mid offset, the value just moves between 38 and 40. I can't seem to pull this value down to 10. Any ideas guys?
post #4423 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Hi guy,
any setting in the service menu that can fix the motion stuttering or lag issue when play movie in 24p.
Thanks
If that was for me I cannot help at the moment. I have not had any issues with what I watch so have not looked into this.
post #4424 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

If that was for me I cannot help at the moment. I have not had any issues with what I watch so have not looked into this.

Hi Mikes,

u do not experience any stuttering or lag issue when using acer acumotion for blu ray 24p viewing?

Thanks
post #4425 of 4744
I'm also seeing stuttering and smearing in 24p since the firmware update. It was fine before. I had to change to 60p on my sony blu-ray player as well as my PC's software player. Luckily I'm not too sensitive to 60p judder so it looks ok. Still, it shouldn't stutter on 24p.

On the plus side, to me, the improved sharpness is dramatic. Before it was just a bit better than my old Sanyo LCD. Now it's much better, like a DLP should be. For me it's worth the trade off but I would send it back again if Acer could fix the new 24p problem.
post #4426 of 4744
maybe some changes in the service menu can fixed the issue?
post #4427 of 4744
Update on my second projector from Newegg:

1) Box Seals were broken, same as the first unit.

2) Projector Lamp door latch was broken out of the box, looks like it was forced closed without properly seating the door (could well be a manufacturing defect).

3) Colors/Blacks are notably cleaner than my first unit. I honestly believe the first unit was not properly getting to full brightness now. I'm more impressed with the quality of the picture.

4) Startup went perfectly (no error lighting the lamp) booted right up to the Acer Logo Screen.

5) Has the newest Scaler Version.


Frustrated by the broken lamp door, right now i simply have it taped shut to keep the switch from detecting the door is open. Can anyone comment on how I can get a replacement from Acer?
post #4428 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter306 View Post

Update on my second projector from Newegg:
1) Box Seals were broken, same as the first unit.
2) Projector Lamp door latch was broken out of the box, looks like it was forced closed without properly seating the door (could well be a manufacturing defect).
3) Colors/Blacks are notably cleaner than my first unit. I honestly believe the first unit was not properly getting to full brightness now. I'm more impressed with the quality of the picture.
4) Startup went perfectly (no error lighting the lamp) booted right up to the Acer Logo Screen.
5) Has the newest Scaler Version.
Frustrated by the broken lamp door, right now i simply have it taped shut to keep the switch from detecting the door is open. Can anyone comment on how I can get a replacement from Acer?
I had the problem the first time I sent mine in for repair. I pled with their level 1 support guy and he would not give so I had to send it in. I took that opportunity to have my firmware updated while it was in Temple for the door replacement. If I had to do it again I would tape it as you did. The only reason I can see is they figure people would be calling for doors even though they were not broken knowing this is a poor design and the customers would have a replacement standing by once the warranty expired. smile.gif
post #4429 of 4744
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

There's no way in hell it's coming off the ceiling mount unless that lamp fails (god forbid). I'll see if I can get in touch with the US based support contact and have the door only shipped, because it's not worth subjecting the whole unit to the rigors of shipping for that cheesy plastic tab. Frustrating experience all around with this thing.

But the picture suuuuure looks good now. rolleyes.gif
post #4430 of 4744
Hello all. The mount I bought won't fit. Screws are too big and I need to make a Lowes run. Anyone know what size those tiny screws for ceiling mounting are????
post #4431 of 4744
I don't remember the size but lowes and home depot didnt carry, orchard supply did have the screw. Size is in the manual. M3x20 I believe.
post #4432 of 4744
thanks. Got some M3x20 at Lowes...they're too long. Back I go... I'm trying to use the universal mount from monoprice. It only attaches at 3 points thougth so with these small screws I'm worried it won't hold. We'll see I guess.
Edited by chiefp - 12/21/12 at 9:52pm
post #4433 of 4744
Yeah the x20 were long I think they were a different mount, I ended up using washers and standoffs and made it work.
post #4434 of 4744
10mm M3 from lowes is what I used. Don't bother w/ the 16mm--they don't fit on a universl mount unless spacers are used
post #4435 of 4744
thanks although I may have a bigger problem. Got it up and powered up...but it won't leave the "ACER, Empowering People screen"? If I hit source the screen just flashes. The Menu button gives me a short installation menu, not the one shown in the manual. I don't have anything hooked to it yet so I assumed it should go to the "no input" screen which according to the manual, will let me launch the detailed menu from there. Also, hitting, Left, left, menu doesn't take me to maint menu. Do I have some thing wrong?

OK, so figured out you have to have a source connected to get to the menu. But still haven't figured out how to check the firmware ver. This monoprice mount is too flimsy, going to look for another option.
Edited by chiefp - 12/22/12 at 6:29pm
post #4436 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefp View Post

thanks although I may have a bigger problem. Got it up and powered up...but it won't leave the "ACER, Empowering People screen"? If I hit source the screen just flashes. The Menu button gives me a short installation menu, not the one shown in the manual. I don't have anything hooked to it yet so I assumed it should go to the "no input" screen which according to the manual, will let me launch the detailed menu from there. Also, hitting, Left, left, menu doesn't take me to maint menu. Do I have some thing wrong?
OK, so figured out you have to have a source connected to get to the menu. But still haven't figured out how to check the firmware ver. This monoprice mount is too flimsy, going to look for another option.

I think it's left left power menu.....but I'm kinda dense and never remember....confused.gifsmile.gif

Also, the mounts don't have to be aircraft strong. These projectors don't weigh that much and don't need much to hold them up. There isn't any shear (unless you are in an earthquake). It's just weight pulling straight down. At 18 pounds, 6 pounds per screw will easily hold up the PJ. The inserts on the projector are very solid.
Edited by InCali - 12/23/12 at 11:21am
post #4437 of 4744
The service menu access comes from:

Power Button, Left Arrow, Left Arrow, Menu.
post #4438 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter306 View Post

The service menu access comes from:
Power Button, Left Arrow, Left Arrow, Menu.

I told you I was dense, but I'm one of the world's smartest breeds of dogs. wink.gif

Happy Holidays.
post #4439 of 4744
Well, I got tired of looking at the tape this afternoon and pulled the door off to have a look. After pulling the projector down, I found the broken tab piece (tiny, by the way!) located inside the projector near the door. SO.

I glued it back on with some plastic bonder... After that, cut a few pieces of tiny l-shaped metal and used 2-part epoxy to attach them to the backs of both of the latches (including the one that was fine).

Let er' dry all evening, and just tested it out. Perfect fit, can't even tell the door's been repaired unless you open it and look for the epoxy on the tabs. cool.gif
post #4440 of 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walternate View Post

I'm also seeing stuttering and smearing in 24p since the firmware update. It was fine before. I had to change to 60p on my sony blu-ray player as well as my PC's software player. Luckily I'm not too sensitive to 60p judder so it looks ok. Still, it shouldn't stutter on 24p.
On the plus side, to me, the improved sharpness is dramatic. Before it was just a bit better than my old Sanyo LCD. Now it's much better, like a DLP should be. For me it's worth the trade off but I would send it back again if Acer could fix the new 24p problem.
Maybe I am not that sensitive, nor anyone else here as I have not seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Hi Mikes,
u do not experience any stuttering or lag issue when using acer acumotion for blu ray 24p viewing?
Thanks
Well this may be the key because I did not check my accumotion setting last go around with the acer. I watched Prometheus 3d the other night again, yes, again, and all was fabulous. I catch more in this movie each time I watch it and that was the third go around. I believe I get it all now though adult beverages can present a challenge with the attention span.

I will try to check out the 24p stutter in depth here soon but this is a challenge for me as the Onkyo 818 is reported to exhibit it's own stutter with this material and various displays. To date nobody here has noticed this with various BDs including Batman and latest Bond releases. I watched Austin Powers Int Man o Myst the other day and it was flawless at 23.9blahblah FPS (I did not write it down) so I can say I have not seen this. Alas I am busy with the holidays, work, and brewing beer.smile.gif Further complicating things is that I have an Epson 8350 mounted beside the 9500 and it is my go to for big screen non critical TV and sports viewing. If someone would post their source material and settings I would be happy to try to duplicate the issue or dismiss it. I can compare it with two different beamers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Official Acer H9500BD Thread