or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 92

post #2731 of 3559
Same here! I really wish I could find a 95ES to check out in the Bay Area.
post #2732 of 3559
Full hd 3d blu rays play fine little or no ghosting but playing sbs mkv's on my Pc there is a lot of ghosting. I am playing through media player classic and then choosing sbs mode on the 95. It wasn't like this on the optoma hd33 I had before as most of the 3d viewing was sbs mkv's. Resolution on Pc at 1080/60, any ideas anyone?
post #2733 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post

Full hd 3d blu rays play fine little or no ghosting but playing sbs mkv's on my Pc there is a lot of ghosting. I am playing through media player classic and then choosing sbs mode on the 95. It wasn't like this on the optoma hd33 I had before as most of the 3d viewing was sbs mkv's. Resolution on Pc at 1080/60, any ideas anyone?

I've played quite a few SBS MKV's. I can't say I've noticed worse ghosting performance vs BR 3D, just lack of resolution and PQ due to the use of SBS mode itself. I'll also test this now also on my freshly installed VW1000 as I'm curious to see how it handles SBS MKV's compared to the 95.
post #2734 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I've played quite a few SBS MKV's. I can't say I've noticed worse ghosting performance vs BR 3D, just lack of resolution and PQ due to the use of SBS mode itself. I'll also test this now also on my freshly installed VW1000 as I'm curious to see how it handles SBS MKV's compared to the 95.

Have you changed any settings for sbs mkv's ? It just seemed the optoma 33 handled sbs better. Did you change resolution for sbs?
post #2735 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post


Have you changed any settings for sbs mkv's ? It just seemed the optoma 33 handled sbs better. Did you change resolution for sbs?

I agree that SbS is noticeably more affected by ghosting than 1080p/24 frame packed. Try lowering the 3D Brightness control on the Sony. It should help.
post #2736 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I agree that SbS is noticeably more affected by ghosting than 1080p/24 frame packed. Try lowering the 3D Brightness control on the Sony. It should help.

I did try that but didn't help much and found the image quite dark
post #2737 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post

Have you changed any settings for sbs mkv's ? It just seemed the optoma 33 handled sbs better. Did you change resolution for sbs?

No I have just ran them in the Film 2 3D mode. Not sure what you mean about changing res for SBS. I've run the via MPC-HC at the res encoded in the file ie usually 720p, occasionally they have been 1080p and out of the HTPC at 1080p output res. One of the last 1080p half-sbs I viewed on the 95 was superb. I was also able to compare a sbs version file recently to a full 1080p/24 frame packed version. In doing that comparison I would say it still def came down to an overall quality diff rather than ghosting issues. That's def a more definitive way to examine check. I'll have a look tonight and see if I've still got both versions. Not that it helps for the VW95 users necessarily, but I'm keen to directly compare the two formats on the VW1000.
post #2738 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

Very interested to hear your reflections on these two projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Same here! I really wish I could find a 95ES to check out in the Bay Area.

Yeah, I'm rather lucky to have two venders in my city that have both units. I'm planning to take my time as well (like I did with the X70).

I do plan to post my thoughts when I get the chance over the weekend.
post #2739 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post

I did try that but didn't help much and found the image quite dark

Not sure what your screen size and type and throw is etc but in my case the 3D is pretty bright (relatively speaking). I can go from Max down one click to "3" and it remains pretty much as bright - I mean you can see it drop down a little but its not enough for me to feel that it got significantly darker or anything like that - and in this case it helps a lot IMO with SbS.
post #2740 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Not sure what your screen size and type and throw is etc but in my case the 3D is pretty bright (relatively speaking). I can go from Max down one click to "3" and it remains pretty much as bright - I mean you can see it drop down a little but its not enough for me to feel that it got significantly darker or anything like that - and in this case it helps a lot IMO with SbS.

120" diag, i'll give all the recommendations a try, thanks
post #2741 of 3559
Alright so I'm back from my Sony demo, and I've got some things to say (about both the X70 and VW95).

First I'd like to say that it depends on what you're really looking to get out of either models.

I found the black levels were not as "inky" as they were on the JVC. That being said, the Sony was no slouch and I could make out a lot of the details that I had previously seen on the X70. I just liked the way the image looked on the JVC rather then the Sony for the darker scenes.

Here's where it got a bit interesting. Even before I had mentioned it while watching Arsenal match earlier. My friend said that the motion was better on the Sony, and I totally agree. I don't know what it is, but I prefer the motion on the Sony. It's more lifelike (to me). Honestly I wasn't expecting to notice much of a difference but I did. especially when the camera pans around when the group were taking a corner kick.

When I was watching college ball on the JVC I hadn't noticed any real jumping or jerking, but it's still not as smooth as the Sony. If you watch sports then you'll prefer the motion on the Sony.

For movie playback, I noticed that the Sony was a tad sharper and more defined then the X70. I don't know what it is but the edges seemed a bit "soft" compared to the Sony.

On to the 3D. I didn't find the 3D to be as terrible as people mentioned online for the X70, but there's a larger difference between the two. I was not expecting it when we first started 3D content, but there is. There was far less ghosting and crosstalk in the image. The image was brighter (to me) as well. The glasses did not feel uncomfortable and I was able to wear them over my prescription glasses.

We watched the falling building chapter in Transformers 3 again and my friends and I love the PQ of the VW95. Even my one friend who's not into 3D at all gave a big nod to the Sony and said "I'll watch a lot more 3D if it looks like that" right after.

In the end, I left more confused then when I had arrived. The VW95 is great for Sports, way better 3D, and throws a sharper image that looks AMAZING.

The X70 to me handled the darker scenes better then the Sony. But it was not a "standout" difference like the 3D was. This would go down to preference really.

In the end, I'm going to give the nod to the Sony. I watch a lot more sports and I'm a fan of 3D content. The darker scenes looked great so I feel like I wouldn't be giving up much (other then more money).

I'm moving into a new build house next month, so I have an unfinished basement that I need to plan for my future setup. Thank God I have all the time in the world because depending on what I plan to do (screen size wise), the JVC might work better in my application.

Cheers guys!
post #2742 of 3559
If you have "all the time in the world", just wait 5 years and the 4k pjs will be affordable. Why limit your scope to what's out now?
post #2743 of 3559
Let me rephrase that, I have till the fall to make a actual decision on what projector to buy since I haven't moved and or started the basement.

Better?
post #2744 of 3559
Interesting. Thanks for your reflections. I wonder how the black levels on the X70 compare to my older HD750? I hope they're a little better and that the comparison with the VW95 is closer still. I'm still waiting on my VW95 but when it arrives I'll be facing it off against my HD750 and reporting back. Watching Boardwalk Empire tonight on my HD750 I was marvelling at the depth of the blacks and wondering how on earth the VW95 could get close to it. On the other hand there were times when I wanted a little better in motion. My HD750 is a very sharp model with excellent panel alignment - better than the VW95 I calibrated recently - but that sharpness is somewhat lost with rapid motion. Did you have the dynamic iris on, off or at a static position (and if so at what level) with the VW95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

Alright so I'm back from my Sony demo, and I've got some things to say (about both the X70 and VW95).

First I'd like to say that it depends on what you're really looking to get out of either models.

I found the black levels were not as "inky" as they were on the JVC. That being said, the Sony was no slouch and I could make out a lot of the details that I had previously seen on the X70. I just liked the way the image looked on the JVC rather then the Sony for the darker scenes.

Here's where it got a bit interesting. Even before I had mentioned it while watching Arsenal match earlier. My friend said that the motion was better on the Sony, and I totally agree. I don't know what it is, but I prefer the motion on the Sony. It's more lifelike (to me). Honestly I wasn't expecting to notice much of a difference but I did. especially when the camera pans around when the group were taking a corner kick.

When I was watching college ball on the JVC I hadn't noticed any real jumping or jerking, but it's still not as smooth as the Sony. If you watch sports then you'll prefer the motion on the Sony.

For movie playback, I noticed that the Sony was a tad sharper and more defined then the X70. I don't know what it is but the edges seemed a bit "soft" compared to the Sony.

On to the 3D. I didn't find the 3D to be as terrible as people mentioned online for the X70, but there's a larger difference between the two. I was not expecting it when we first started 3D content, but there is. There was far less ghosting and crosstalk in the image. The image was brighter (to me) as well. The glasses did not feel uncomfortable and I was able to wear them over my prescription glasses.

We watched the falling building chapter in Transformers 3 again and my friends and I love the PQ of the VW95. Even my one friend who's not into 3D at all gave a big nod to the Sony and said "I'll watch a lot more 3D if it looks like that" right after.

In the end, I left more confused then when I had arrived. The VW95 is great for Sports, way better 3D, and throws a sharper image that looks AMAZING.

The X70 to me handled the darker scenes better then the Sony. But it was not a "standout" difference like the 3D was. This would go down to preference really.

In the end, I'm going to give the nod to the Sony. I watch a lot more sports and I'm a fan of 3D content. The darker scenes looked great so I feel like I wouldn't be giving up much (other then more money).

I'm moving into a new build house next month, so I have an unfinished basement that I need to plan for my future setup. Thank God I have all the time in the world because depending on what I plan to do (screen size wise), the JVC might work better in my application.

Cheers guys!
post #2745 of 3559
Has anybody got one of these in the past month? I've been waiting 3+ weeks since I ordered mine and still no 95!
post #2746 of 3559
Can I ask where you had ordered one? The place I had a demo at today had them in stock and I haven't heard that there's a shortage of units in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

Interesting. Thanks for your reflections. I wonder how the black levels on the X70 compare to my older HD750? I hope they're a little better and that the comparison with the VW95 is closer still. I'm still waiting on my VW95 but when it arrives I'll be facing it off against my HD750 and reporting back. Watching Boardwalk Empire tonight on my HD750 I was marvelling at the depth of the blacks and wondering how on earth the VW95 could get close to it. On the other hand there were times when I wanted a little better in motion. My HD750 is a very sharp model with excellent panel alignment - better than the VW95 I calibrated recently - but that sharpness is somewhat lost with rapid motion. Did you have the dynamic iris on, off or at a static position (and if so at what level) with the VW95?

Honestly I don't remember what settings were used for the iris (yeah I should have checked but I was trying to get as much viewing time/questions in as possible. Sorry about that
post #2747 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

Can I ask where you had ordered one? The place I had a demo at today had them in stock and I haven't heard that there's a shortage of units in the market.
(

From a dealer out here in California (L.A.)...I was told there aren't any around and dealers have been waiting on the next shipment from Japan for weeks. A few other people I talked to on the forum have been waiting....AVS didn't have them in stock a few weeks ago although I don't know if they do now. Who knows?!?!?
post #2748 of 3559
You can give the Sony's black levels a kick in the right direction by fiddling a bit with the iris settings in the service menu. That helps even things up a bit further in the low APL scenes.
post #2749 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

You can give the Sony's black levels a kick in the right direction by fiddling a bit with the iris settings in the service menu. That helps even things up a bit further in the low APL scenes.

Yes, but it should be noted that this will be either at the expense of a dimmer/flatter picture in low APL scenes (if you leave iris open reg as is) or a flatter picture in high APL scenes (if you use iris open to compensate for dimmer/flatter low APL scenes). At least that is my conclusion after extensive testing with the iris service menu options. If you've found otherwise please let me know.
post #2750 of 3559
For my environment (and moreso tastes) I lower both Iris Open and Iris Close to some extent (a greater change to Iris Close).

I had the same perception that you noted, but my measurements didn't align with what my eyes were telling me. I was just accustomed to the brighter picture, so I was convinced it was flattening out the scene. I noticed this first during my HW30 testing, but when I measured I found the opposite was actually occurring - there was a GREATER difference in measured brightness between the dark parts and the light parts of a low APL scene as I closed the iris further. I duplicated this same test with the 95ES (though in less detail than my long-winded HW30 test), and got the same results.

If one wishes to still have lots of "pop" in the bright parts of a low APL scene, then one would keep the iris more open, sacrificing the black level to some extent, and conversely if one were more interested in darker blacks and could sacrifice that "pop", then one could choose lower iris values. The beauty of having a dynamic iris and good native contrast is that you can maintain whatever brightness you desire in the high APL scenes and still have the flexibility to monkey about with the low-APL scenes to get the best of both worlds. Provided you don't go to such an extent as the iris becomes intrusive.

I'm currently running Gamma 4 with a +1 to the blacks, which gives me a measured gamma ramp that starts just above 2.1, hits about 2.35 by 30, and keeps going fairly flat. I think this is helping me run a more aggressive iris setting and still be happy with the detail I see in the dark scenes.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to have the gamma curve exactly as I like and I'm definitely not able to perform the fine greyscale adjustments within the menu system itself (The JVC spoiled me in this regard). So I'll be hunting down the serial cable today and breaking out the ImageDirector to see if I can start shaping things more accurately.
post #2751 of 3559
Hello,

Can anyone post after a lot of experience with the VPL-VW95 projector
what is the best projector settings including the RCP settings?

Thanks,

Ricardo
post #2752 of 3559
Settings, particularly colour settings, are going to vary by machine (moreso by bulb). To get accurate colour settings within rcp, you need a colorimeter, and adjust accordingly to match the targets.
post #2753 of 3559
Has anyone done any extensive testing to see what the best color format to send this machine is? I played around with this a bit today after calibrating it. I use a Radiance, and can output RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. I have been using 4:2:2, and calibrated using that format, then I cycled through the rest of the formats, took a round of readings to see what would happen. It did not like RGB at all and put both grey scale and gamut in the weeds. 4:4:4 however seamed to help a bit. All DE's dropped a click or two across the board for both grey scale and gamut. I'm wondering if this machine might convert RGB inputs to CbCr, then back to RGB??
post #2754 of 3559
Those with an HTPC what video card are you using to get 3D? I just bought an AMD A8570 with built in video (Radeon 6550D) and cannot get 3D. The picture looks 3D (double image) but the glasses do not seem to sync up (if that makes sense). Hopefully radeon is supported.

I am using latest version of TMT5. I a going through Onkyo 5009. I do get 3D with PS3

Thanks

SOLVED:

There are two tabs under 3D settings in TMT5. I missed the second tab for Viewing Environment. It was set to generic monitor. Likely because I initially setup TMT5 on a non-3D TV. Once I set to "AMD HDTV Technology", it seems to be OK. Will watch a 3D movie now and check for any studdering.

Thanks
post #2755 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

Has anyone done any extensive testing to see what the best color format to send this machine is? I played around with this a bit today after calibrating it. I use a Radiance, and can output RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. I have been using 4:2:2, and calibrated using that format, then I cycled through the rest of the formats, took a round of readings to see what would happen. It did not like RGB at all and put both grey scale and gamut in the weeds. 4:4:4 however seamed to help a bit. All DE's dropped a click or two across the board for both grey scale and gamut. I'm wondering if this machine might convert RGB inputs to CbCr, then back to RGB??

I've also gotten what appear to be good results using 4:4:4 from my Oppo. I just did a full greyscale and gamma calibration tonight with the help of Image Director (which gives incredible precision!), and then did a couple of RCP profiles, and it seemed to settle in quite well with 4:4:4. I only had time to watch one feature after the calibration, and was nothing but impressed. I didn't notice any negatives to using the 4:4:4, but I haven't gone back to compare.
post #2756 of 3559
Fat Dave,

What is the best basic settings (such as: Gamma, Movie Mode, Iris, MotionFlow, etc ..)
post #2757 of 3559
Maybe sending more info the better when you come right down to it but the 95 does not accept unconverted 36 bit (deep color). I still have always sent 4:4:4 anyway. Actually the last projector besides the new 1000ES from Sony to accept it was the VW200.
post #2758 of 3559
I might just have to break down and give Image Director a whirl.....
post #2759 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoGomez View Post

Fat Dave,

What is the best basic settings (such as: Gamma, Movie Mode, Iris, MotionFlow, etc ..)

I can offer only what I think is best - each person is different.

So for me:

Gamma 4 with +1 to black levels (I now run a custom calibrated Gamma)
Movie Mode Auto 1 (this only applies to 60Hz sources I believe)
Iris Auto 1 on recommended speed (I used slow on the HW30, but the 95 doesn't ned it)
Iris Open Reg / Close Reg at 600/250 (will depend on where your iris was factory set, and very optional)
Motionflow Low
Color mode (I forget the name of this) Custom 3 (and then should be balanced if you have a meter).

If you like accurate colours, set colour space to Normal. If you like vivid colours, you can try one of the Wide modes, but if you do, I highly recommend going into the RCP, setting or Yellow to a narrow cone covering the orange bands (make sure it covers an "orange" face), and dialing it back a chunk (around -8 for colour, maybe add a touch of brightness) to regain more natural looking skin tones. Otherwise, everyone glows an unnatural orange.

If you have a meter, then it's a different story.

Not sure what other settings you were wondering about, but just ask!
post #2760 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Maybe sending more info the better when you come right down to it but the 95 does not accept unconverted 36 bit (deep color). I still have always sent 4:4:4 anyway. Actually the last projector besides the new 1000ES from Sony to accept it was the VW200.

Interesting. I didn't do a measurement run in 4:2:2, but after reading mdrews post and yours, I should have. Next time I get the meter up and running, I'll try two different runs with the different settings and see what happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread