or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 105

post #3121 of 3559
I got mine last week and spend hours try to make 3D works with my Comcast Cable box (DCX-3400) but failed. My 95es does not let me select over-under which the 3d format the cable box send. Really appreciate if somebody can help. I am very frustrated.
post #3122 of 3559
If the cable box is outputting 1080i, I believe the projector will only accept a side-by-side 3D signal. The projector requires a progressive (e.g., 1080p) input for over-under 3D.
post #3123 of 3559
I did set the resolution to 720p on my cable box but it still does not work. I simply can not select either side-by side or over-under on my project. The sony people said only when the projector receive the 3d signal, then it lets you select the format. Is this true?
post #3124 of 3559
I have the same problem with Comcast box, I wish they could fix this problem.
post #3125 of 3559
Looking at the 95es manual for calibration purposes, is the black and white level adjustment equivalent the gain and offset?
post #3126 of 3559
Hi guys,

6 months in and im still in all my glory with this machine.
i have changed a couple of things and one issue i now have is that my 3d emitter on the front of the PJ is now blocked as the PJ sits behind a wall where only the lens is visible into the room.
Is the Sony TMRPJ1 3D Emitter what i need to remedy this problem? and how does it work exactly in terms of set up?
ie. will it bounce off the screen if placed behind me much as the emitter from the PJ did? does it need to be in front and if so does it need to be sqyare with my eyes or canit be placed of to the side?
do i simply need the device and as much ethernet cable as necessary to place it where required?

want to get the 3D up and running. thx

(also if you know of a good calibrator in the ottawa, ontario, Canada area or one making his/her rounds in the next little while pls let me know!)
post #3127 of 3559
Just got my VW95ES yesterday, everything looks great, except shadow detail. I was watching I think it was Restaurant Impossible on Food network. The chef was wearing a black polo shirt, I can hardly made out the detail of his shirt, like folds should reflect the light differently, it was just a black blob. How does one improve shadow detail on this projector? I still haven’t gone thru all the settings yet, I will play with the gamma tonight, I’d appreciate any pointers. I could up the brightness, but I am using a HP 2.8gain screen (projector is ceiling mount, so I doubt that I am getting all 2.8gain from where I sit, so I guess it’s a good thing), so it would make the image look too bright and washout. My current contrast is at 90, brightness is at 48, gamma 7 I think, lamp is at low setting.
post #3128 of 3559
Richardyc

Without knowing your system specfic - I would change the gamma to off ( close to 2.2 ) and set brightness to 50 ,then there should not be any black crush and the details close to black should be visible ( best would be to use AVSHD or DVE to set the correct brightness and contrast level ).


dj
post #3129 of 3559
Completed the installation of my VW95es and watched my first movies last night. Wonderful upgrade over the VW60 that it replaced. What 3D glasses are preferred these days - I know a few months back it was the Monstervision but I'm not sure if these are still available?? I only see them listed as the IR receiver + 1 pair of glasses. No glasses only sets??

I know there are the Sony TDGPJ1 glasses which I believe are identical to the glasses which come with the projector. There are other Sony glasses but these require purchasing the polarizing filters.

Mostly just my wife and I but would like to get a few additional pairs for when the grandchildren are visiting....any suggestions??
post #3130 of 3559
I was considering this projector or the JVC x30/rs45 for a 10' wide 16:9 screen by seymour AV.

The room is a dedicated theater room with no ambient light.

I want to be able to switch between 1.78:1 and 2:35:1 aspect ratios without use of a lens (through zoom).

Would you suggest the Sony or the JVC?
post #3131 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post

Completed the installation of my VW95es and watched my first movies last night. Wonderful upgrade over the VW60 that it replaced. What 3D glasses are preferred these days - I know a few months back it was the Monstervision but I'm not sure if these are still available?? I only see them listed as the IR receiver + 1 pair of glasses. No glasses only sets??
I know there are the Sony TDGPJ1 glasses which I believe are identical to the glasses which come with the projector. There are other Sony glasses but these require purchasing the polarizing filters.
Mostly just my wife and I but would like to get a few additional pairs for when the grandchildren are visiting....any suggestions??

Still Monster 3D glasses. Just buy the kits. The prices have come down a ton on them anyway. They are more comfortable. smile.gif
post #3132 of 3559
I posted this on the HW30 forum, but since these projectors are brothers (ok, the 95 is the big brother) I thought I 'd ask here also...

Anyone ever take out the filter, prior to the PJ telling you, and see how it looks? I know different environments would yield different results... I was thinking about checking out mine.
post #3133 of 3559
Ric & Dave,

My projector was calibrated two days ago and I have several questions regarding number of options in the projector settings, please let me know what is your recommended settings for these options:
1. "Film Projection" under MotionFlow section - Mode 1, Mode 2 or Off
2. "Film Mode" under expert setting - Auto 1, Auto 2 or Off

Also, what is your recommended settings for 3D?

Thanks,
post #3134 of 3559
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Short three month hiatus, looks like I missed a bunch!

Twelve weeks running around in the desert has taken the six-foot tall Fat Dave from 185 lbs down to 155 lbs. (Yes, my name was given ironically, for those just tuning in.) I need a sandwich or something.

Apologies to all that tried to send me PM's. I just plowed through dozens of emails about how my mailbox was full, so I've missed a lot. I've dumped about 50 older messages, so it should be good for a bit.

So what did I miss? Is the 95 obsolete now or what? I haven't even had a chance to turn it on since I got back. Maybe tonight.

Chuck Antsey's post above on the iris
I disagree with his findings. You can check this in two different ways:

1) You can set the first variable in the service menu to "1", which tells the projector to set the iris to corresponding entered value for Iris Open Reg or Iris Close Reg. That allows you to see the changes in real time to setting different values. It changes all the way down. This doesn't accurately replicate what the projector will do in a real world situation, because it will open up to the actual value of the variable you're changing, not the calculated intermediate value that the scene would call for, but it does show the finite adjustments of the iris.

2) You can measure the difference with a meter on a paused scene. It will show a difference as you make these changes, similar to what I showed in my HW30 testing.

JhonS
My Film Projection is set to "off". These modes add flicker for some reason, and I hate them passionately. But set to taste. Some like the blanking and find that it helps them perceive motion more smoothly. I find it makes me twitch and drool and want to throw things at the screen.

My "Film Mode" is set to "Auto 1". This menu item only shows up with 60 Hz sources, and if I remember correctly, Auto 1 would try to detect 3:2 pulldown, and perform a reverse-pulldown switching back to 24 Hz. But I really can't remember the specifics for the life of me...

MadMyers
I check mine fairly often, but I've hardly found a spec of dust on it so far. It's remarkably clean.

violator_1977
More info on your priorities would help us point you in the right direction. I came from the year-old JVC RS-40, and I'm ecstatic to be with the Sony this year. I have a cinemascope screen and use the zoom memory function often to switch ratios. But it really depends on what you value and what compromises you can live with. The JVC is still an outstanding choice provided that it's shortcomings are acceptable (or unnoticeable) to you.

So what else did I miss?
post #3135 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

Chuck Antsey's post above on the iris
I disagree with his findings. You can check this in two different ways:

1) You can set the first variable in the service menu to "1", which tells the projector to set the iris to corresponding entered value for Iris Open Reg or Iris Close Reg. That allows you to see the changes in real time to setting different values. It changes all the way down. This doesn't accurately replicate what the projector will do in a real world situation, because it will open up to the actual value of the variable you're changing, not the calculated intermediate value that the scene would call for, but it does show the finite adjustments of the iris.

2) You can measure the difference with a meter on a paused scene. It will show a difference as you make these changes, similar to what I showed in my HW30 testing.

I reevaluated whether the dynamic iris uses in-between positions and I did find that it does. The preference for the algorithm is to be fully open or fully closed but it is willing to play around in between as necessary. However, whether the iris is fully open or some fraction of closed isn't based upon the average brightness of the scene but whether high IRE pixels are present, in any quantity. I had up the test pattern from the AVSHD disc where 0 to 24 are shown flashing. This image is all 0 when flashed off, which I paused, yet the iris remained fully open because the the numbers were fully white even though the occupied maybe 2% of the image. The DI appears to prefer keeping whites brighter in any quantity than blacks darker. My subjective opinion of this is I think this is preferable because when I forced the projector to use the closed iris position, the turning of the numbers darker (appear very gray and not subjectively white) was far more noticeable and less desirable than the advantage of darkening the blacks.

However I still stand by my initial assessment that the majority of the Open/Closed Reg value is about gamma remapping but obviously willing to reevaluate with additional data. I looked at the iris directly and went from my factory setting of 313 to 0. The iris does close a little more but not much. My problem with your conclusion that it is 100% iris changing is the method used to evaluate, a paused scene, could be changed by either changing the iris position OR by gamma remapping OR both. We know that when DI in active there is gamma remapping going on as the iris changes position.

There is an easy way to test this and I would do it myself except I don't have a meter that can do it.
Go into the Iris control menu to set the Closed Reg (currently at factory) and make sure Iris is in the closed position
Project 0 IRE, 20 IRE, 40 IRE, and 60 IRE patterns. Measure the light of each.
or
Project a multi-IRE pattern that you can measure the different IRE around the screen.
Now set Closed Reg to 0
Project 0 IRE, 20 IRE, 40 IRE, and 60 IRE patterns. Measure the light of each again.

Now if the Closed Reg only controls the iris opening and nothing else, all of those IRE patterns should increase in lux by the same multiplicative amount when comparing Closed Reg = 0 and factory setting (~300). I expect however that the 20, 40, and 60 IRE patterns will increase their lux by a higher percentage than the 0 IRE pattern, which is only affected by the iris opening at least if the gamma doesn't allow showing blacker than black. If the percentages are not the same then Closed Reg definitely controls gamma remapping in addition to possibly other things.
post #3136 of 3559
This is my first projector its (sony vpl vw95es) and I'm really new to them and how they work. Anyways I'm moving to a new house and I want to set a new home theater in my basement and I would like to go with a dual screen setup. Currently I have a 137" 16:9 screen and I will buy a 130" 2:35 and I will mount it to the wall and use the 16:9 screen in front of it. I don't know if any one of you are using a simillar setup I just need help because I need to know if this projector would be good for using for both screens. How should I setup the projector settings or zooming because I'm not using any lenses for 2:35 screen,

Please Leave A Suggestion, Thanks!

-eddie102026
post #3137 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie102026 View Post

This is my first projector its (sony vpl vw95es) and I'm really new to them and how they work. Anyways I'm moving to a new house and I want to set a new home theater in my basement and I would like to go with a dual screen setup. Currently I have a 137" 16:9 screen and I will buy a 130" 2:35 and I will mount it to the wall and use the 16:9 screen in front of it. I don't know if any one of you are using a simillar setup I just need help because I need to know if this projector would be good for using for both screens. How should I setup the projector settings or zooming because I'm not using any lenses for 2:35 screen,
Please Leave A Suggestion, Thanks!
-eddie102026

The Sony can do what you are wanting to do, but need some additional information to determine what works for you. What screen do you have now and what is the gain? I assume that you are talking diagonal size on the 16:9 and width on the 2.35? What throw distance do you have right now?
Reply
Reply
post #3138 of 3559
The screen I have is a electric drop down screen. 1.2 gain and were talking diagonal size on the 16:9. The 16:9 is 10ft in width and the 2.35 is going to be rather 120" to 127" I have a 17ft throw distance.

If you can tell me what I must setup it would be great!

Thanks,
Eddie
post #3139 of 3559
Hi guys - I have my HTPC (Intel i5/SB using integrated graphics) connected to my Rotel RSP1572 pre-pro and then to the VW95ES via HDMI.

I was wondering, is anyone enabling the x.v.Color functionality on the projector?

I don't understand a lot about x.v.Color/xvYCC tech but from what I read, it seems like nothing really uses it? And it basically just leverages the additional color gamut of 0-255 vs.16-235? (maybe I'm way off here)

In any case, the intel driver has the xvycc color option, my receiver supposedly supports it (passthrough I assume) and so does the Sony. I tried enabling on the intel driver and then did a test with it on/off on the projector on a scene from my Ironman bluray rip (about 8:15 mark where he's talking to the reporter and he's wearking a black suit). Well, with it turned off, I could see splotches/blocks of black in his suit; with it on, the splotches were gone and looked a lot better IMO. I tried turning it off on the intel driver (and therefore option was not there on the projector) and didn't look quite as good. Admittedly, I'm having issues making sure I have the color space set on the driver ("Quantization Level" option that I don't have access to for some reason... different forum I suppose) to 16-235 so I *think* it may be defaulting to RGB 0-255.

In this particular case, it seemed to help (having it enabled at the driver level and the projector) but I'm not convinced that I'm understanding it correctly or that it really should be making a positive difference.

Just curious on anyone's thoughts on this feature.
post #3140 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

So what did I miss? Is the 95 obsolete now or what? I haven't even had a chance to turn it on since I got back...So what else did I miss?

+1. Any rumors about what may be replacing the VW95 or RS55 (or up and coming units that will give these a run for the money) at CEDIA 2012?
post #3141 of 3559
What I have heard from Sony, is that the 95 will not get replaced this year - only the little brother ( HW30 ) should be replaced later this year.

dj
post #3142 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

What I have heard from Sony, is that the 95 will not get replaced this year - only the little brother ( HW30 ) should be replaced later this year.
dj

Thanks - and great to hear from you. smile.gif That's disappointing for sure, especially considering that the 2D performance of the VW95 supposedly is the same as the VW90. So if the 95 is not replaced this year, that seems to me like the tech would then have gone 3 generations without improvements. I'll definitely be looking then at what JVC has up their sleeve for the RS55. I'm still very satisfied with the 95, but if I can get even better quality for a reasonable upgrade price I'm in.
post #3143 of 3559
I don't know on Sony, but JVC does have some new models. I cannot get into details, so please don't hound me. smile.gif

That being said, they are evolutionary changes, not revolutionary. Definitely a plus for some, for others may not be worth an upgrade.
post #3144 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

I don't know on Sony, but JVC does have some new models. I cannot get into details, so please don't hound me. smile.gif
That being said, they are evolutionary changes, not revolutionary. Definitely a plus for some, for others may not be worth an upgrade.

Contrast improvements? Better 3D? biggrin.gif
post #3145 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Contrast improvements? Better 3D? biggrin.gif

remember they already claimed better 3D with crosstalk controls that didn't do a thing for the 2012 models. They would need faster panels for the next round.

It's interesting if DJ is correct that Sony will carry over the VW95 for another year.

Kraine usually has all the good info from IFA Berlin which starts on 8/31/2012. His info comes in before the CEDIA event in the US.
post #3146 of 3559
I've been toying with the idea of trying out the X70 but with the new models being announced soon I might wait on it a bit. I'm in a frustrating position as an owner of a VW95. I like it for many things. It's great with HDTV and 3D but I sometimes find myself wanting something more for movies - more native contrast and deeper black levels for a start. I don't get quite as much of a cinematic feel with the VW95 as I did with my old HD750. What's even more frustrating is the fact that the new models won't be available until November time. If I want to maximise the resale value of my VW95 I ought to sell it as soon as possible, and yet I can't face being without a projector until November. Or do I go with the X70 for now and risk a resale later? Or do I keep the Sony? Decisions! Can't make up my mind.
post #3147 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

remember they already claimed better 3D with crosstalk controls that didn't do a thing for the 2012 models. They would need faster panels for the next round.
It's interesting if DJ is correct that Sony will carry over the VW95 for another year.
Kraine usually has all the good info from IFA Berlin which starts on 8/31/2012. His info comes in before the CEDIA event in the US.

Yeah, they didn't improve the 3D much with their second try. Hopefully we will see some nice improvements with their third try and like you said, the only way to minimize that crosstalk is to include faster panels. If JVC doesn't include faster panels, then I'm afraid we won't see a dramatic improvement with 3D compared to the 2012 models. Time will tell.

Of course what DJ mentioned is a rumor, but if that is the case with the Sony 95 then JVC will have the edge. Can't wait for IFA/CEDIA!!
post #3148 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Yeah, they didn't improve the 3D much with their second try. Hopefully we will see some nice improvements with their third try and like you said, the only way to minimize that crosstalk is to include faster panels. If JVC doesn't include faster panels, then I'm afraid we won't see a dramatic improvement with 3D compared to the 2012 models. Time will tell.
Of course what DJ mentioned is a rumor, but if that is the case with the Sony 95 then JVC will have the edge. Can't wait for IFA/CEDIA!!

For me, for the JVC to compete with the 95, it would need to have faster panels for less 3D crosstalk, better motion handling, a quieter fan in high lamp, and a longer-lasting, slower-dimming bulb.

I FINALLY got to see a 95ES in person recently (after looking since last September), and I was really impressed. Sure, the 1000ES is a better performer, but for the price, I may just go for the 95 for my room. The only area where the 95 fell well short of the 1000 in my viewing was 3D crosstalk. I hope to revisit the 1000 with all e same content soon just to compare, but in my first 1000 demo, I saw no crosstalk at all. It was fairly evident in the 95.
post #3149 of 3559
Hello,
There is a new comparison between VPL-VW95ES and JVC DLA-X70R on Lyd & Bilde.This is a Norwegian review.
http://translate.google.ro/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ro&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lydogbilde.no%2Ftest%2Fsony-vw95es&act=url
post #3150 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

I've been toying with the idea of trying out the X70 but with the new models being announced soon I might wait on it a bit. I'm in a frustrating position as an owner of a VW95. I like it for many things. It's great with HDTV and 3D but I sometimes find myself wanting something more for movies - more native contrast and deeper black levels for a start. I don't get quite as much of a cinematic feel with the VW95 as I did with my old HD750. What's even more frustrating is the fact that the new models won't be available until November time. If I want to maximise the resale value of my VW95 I ought to sell it as soon as possible, and yet I can't face being without a projector until November. Or do I go with the X70 for now and risk a resale later? Or do I keep the Sony? Decisions! Can't make up my mind.

Hello,
I don't think there is a better all round projector than 95ES right now.For me,to think again at JVC projectors they must change their lamps.
Right now i am spoiled with the Sony's lamps.In my opinion these lamps are fantastic.
Of course i would like for the new Sony's model to have a better black and contrast if is possible,but if i have to choose right now a new projector in this category,i would make the same choice.smile.gif
It is too easy to use it and free of trouble.
Edited by maximus74 - 7/7/12 at 4:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread