or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 3559
Couldn't spend much time today with the 95, but some quick thoughts to date...

- Motion handling 9/10

- Sharpness 10/10

- Uniformity 10/10

- Color 9/10

- Bright/dark corners 8/10

- Black levels 8/10

- Shadow detail 8/10

- Low Lamp fan noise 9/10

- High Lamp fan noise 7/10

- 3D brightness (2.8 gain screen) 8/10

- 3D color 8/10

- 3D contrast 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Sony glasses) 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Monster glasses) 9/10

I'll try and run a calibration tomorrow with Chromapure and DVDO Duo to compare, but my first instinct is to not touch very much, and perhaps return the Duo to Amazon if I can see no substantial improvement

This subjective scoring is based on my personal experiences with my previous 3D projectors - the VW90, the RS50, and the Panny 7000. My screen is a 133 16:9 DaLite High Power, projector about 15 feet from screen

Tomorrow should be a full day of football, some movies, and a hockey game, so looking to have more detailed commentary thereafter. But so far, the pitch has been thrown, the bat has been swung, the ball has been cracked, and it is sailing deep, deep to......


Sony. It's no baloney.


post #392 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Yes, 100.000% sure. It will work - no worries!

Thanks - just ordered three more...
post #393 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

...- Bright/dark corners 8/10...

Can you please elaborate in detail on this?

This is my #1 concern about the VW95. Others have reported absolutely zero bright corners. And I have made it a point to really ask for it to be purposely studied and studied hard (as opposed to a "yeah I didn't notice anything" type of response).

I know Kraine knew some had concerns about it and made it a point to study it and reported no hints, even when I circled back with a "are you sure, absolutely nothing?" and he said yes.

Likewise someone else here (sorry I can't remember who but it wasn't Joe) said the same thing. Again I asked did you study it in pitch dark for several minutes and absolutely no hint, nothing, and he came back and said yes that was exactly what he did.

So naturally one has to wonder if you have a more critical eye (a good thing) and all these pjs have a certain amount of this and you can spot it better, or if maybe it is pj specific and yours is a bit more pronounced than with others.

Anyway it would be great if you can elaborate on how you tested for this, to what extent it is there, how easily it is to see on a fade to black, and most importantly - whether you think it is washing out or reducing contrast on other scenes as a result.
post #394 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Thanks - just ordered three more...

Good move. They are practically half the price of the Monster glasses for the same exact thing.

What did you do if anything to fine tune the glasses? Also are you using the IR/RF emitter or a modded cable?
post #395 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post


Can you please elaborate in detail on this?

This is my #1 concern about the VW95. Others have reported absolutely zero bright corners. And I have made it a point to really ask for it to be purposely studied and studied hard (as opposed to a "yeah I didn't notice anything" type of response).

I know Kraine knew some had concerns about it and made it a point to study it and reported no hints, even when I circled back with a "are you sure, absolutely nothing?" and he said yes.

Likewise someone else here (sorry I can't remember who but it wasn't Joe) said the same thing. Again I asked did you study it in pitch dark for several minutes and absolutely no hint, nothing, and he came back and said yes that was exactly what he did.

So naturally one has to wonder if you have a more critical eye (a good thing) and all these pjs have a certain amount of this and you can spot it better, or if maybe it is pj specific and yours is a bit more pronounced than with others.

Anyway it would be great if you can elaborate on how you tested for this, to what extent it is there, how easily it is to see on a fade to black, and most importantly - whether you think it is washing out or reducing contrast on other scenes as a result.

Well remember, very early limited observation for all "ratings" - I will do additional, more deliberate viewing tomorrow, and remember I don't have a complete bat cave so there could have been some ambient influence.

But what I did see was very faint (slight lightening in the upper left and slight darkening in the lower right). But it had no perceptible affect on content. I'm fairly nit picky, and it is not close to bothersome to me. But my idiosyncrasies and yours may differ!
post #396 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post


Good move. They are practically half the price of the Monster glasses for the same exact thing.

What did you do if anything to fine tune the glasses? Also are you using the IR/RF emitter or a modded cable?

Didn't find the online monster manual that detailed tuning until after shutting down, but did blindly stumble into the brightness tuning mode. Still trying to figure out the interplay between the 95 brightness setting and the monster tuning, but by end of night I settled of bri'ness 3 on the 95 and, I think, about 2.5 on the monster emitter
post #397 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post


Can you please elaborate in detail on this?

This is my #1 concern about the VW95. Others have reported absolutely zero bright corners. And I have made it a point to really ask for it to be purposely studied and studied hard (as opposed to a "yeah I didn't notice anything" type of response).

I know Kraine knew some had concerns about it and made it a point to study it and reported no hints, even when I circled back with a "are you sure, absolutely nothing?" and he said yes.

Likewise someone else here (sorry I can't remember who but it wasn't Joe) said the same thing. Again I asked did you study it in pitch dark for several minutes and absolutely no hint, nothing, and he came back and said yes that was exactly what he did.

So naturally one has to wonder if you have a more critical eye (a good thing) and all these pjs have a certain amount of this and you can spot it better, or if maybe it is pj specific and yours is a bit more pronounced than with others.

Anyway it would be great if you can elaborate on how you tested for this, to what extent it is there, how easily it is to see on a fade to black, and most importantly - whether you think it is washing out or reducing contrast on other scenes as a result.

Lovingdvd... You may have to wait for my review. I am all too familiar with Sony's bright corner issues. But I won't know for a couple of weeks.
I don't get it till the 3rd week in November.
post #398 of 3559
I heard a lot for some time re the MV glasses. I so nearly ordered some a while ago. However, I've seen in others threads news that the xpand youniversals are starting to turn up around the place- so far UK it seems. I am hesitant to make the MV3D investment with the new xpands looming. The whole smartphone tuneability aspect has me pretty interested. I get the feeling adjustability may well be similar to the MV3Ds. I'm willing to be a guinea pig with them and the 95 if I can get my hands on some. In the meantime I haven't investigated any further why the X103s have the sync issue not present with the 90...too much time just enjoying 2D.
post #399 of 3559
Thanks for the link on the optoma/monsters! I will grab my 6th pair from Amazon. At that price I may as well have one pair per seat. And who cares if it says optoma on them?

I did score my other monsters for a drop over 100 a piece though.

As for the new xpands... I remember the promises of new firmware updates for the 103s. Not! I also seriously doubt they will be as comfortable as the monsters. Everyone commented how nice they felt. One even said they don't even feel like they are wearing them!
post #400 of 3559
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Tomorrow should be a full day of football, some movies, and a hockey game, so looking to have more detailed commentary thereafter. But so far, the pitch has been thrown, the bat has been swung, the ball has been cracked, and it is sailing deep, deep

By the way, congrats on your NY Rangers win last night... Although it was pretty tight until the end... . I cant beleave my Canadiens lost in front of my new 95
post #401 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

zombie10k

Its a little funny/strange that yesterday, when I tested the ghosting, I was trying it both on my 2.8 gain screen and on my 1.3 gain screen and sure it was brighter ( much more ), - I begin to understand your love for high gain screens - on the 2.8 then the 1.3 BUT the ghosting was about the same !! ( off cause it was a darker picture on 1.3 ), so for me, if we shall see the positive in it I dont get more ghosting on the high gain screen, just more light

And yes I will absolutly very much trade 10 % light ( on the high gain screen ) for even more ghostfree image.

BTW did I mention,that I love the lens memory

regards

dj



Okay, I have to correct my self a little because after some more test, I must give zombie10k right, there is a ( very ) little more ghosting in the high gain screen .

This time I tested the Sony glasses versus the Xpand 103 and in mode 3 ( and only this mode - but it is the best mode for the sony glasses to ) the Xpand has actully a little less ghosting ( and are a little more dark ) then the sony and they are stabil with sync ( not in the others modes ).

When I had the 90es, the Xpand was brighter then the sony´s and did behave strange with the ghosting ( eather in the background or in the front and had same brightness what ever setting you did )

With the 90es I preferred the sony glasses, but with the 95 I prefer the Xpand, now I just have to get the Monsters ( very difficult to get here - strange ).


regards

dj
post #402 of 3559
Thread Starter 
Great! The Sony 95 it's not the best at everything but it is excellent at many things...

A heck of a projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Couldn't spend much time today with the 95, but some quick thoughts to date...

- Motion handling 9/10

- Sharpness 10/10

- Uniformity 10/10

- Color 9/10

- Bright/dark corners 8/10

- Black levels 8/10

- Shadow detail 8/10

- Low Lamp fan noise 9/10

- High Lamp fan noise 7/10

- 3D brightness (2.8 gain screen) 8/10

- 3D color 8/10

- 3D contrast 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Sony glasses) 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Monster glasses) 9/10

I'll try and run a calibration tomorrow with Chromapure and DVDO Duo to compare, but my first instinct is to not touch very much, and perhaps return the Duo to Amazon if I can see no substantial improvement

This subjective scoring is based on my personal experiences with my previous 3D projectors - the VW90, the RS50, and the Panny 7000. My screen is a 133 16:9 DaLite High Power, projector about 15 feet from screen

Tomorrow should be a full day of football, some movies, and a hockey game, so looking to have more detailed commentary thereafter. But so far, the pitch has been thrown, the bat has been swung, the ball has been cracked, and it is sailing deep, deep to......
post #403 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Couldn't spend much time today with the 95, but some quick thoughts to date...

- Motion handling 9/10

- Sharpness 10/10

- Uniformity 10/10

- Color 9/10

- Bright/dark corners 8/10

- Black levels 8/10

- Shadow detail 8/10

- Low Lamp fan noise 9/10

- High Lamp fan noise 7/10

- 3D brightness (2.8 gain screen) 8/10

- 3D color 8/10

- 3D contrast 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Sony glasses) 8/10

- 3D ghosting (Monster glasses) 9/10


Hey, contemplating my first pj purchase, currently on the pre-order list for the RS45 but am keeping my options open. Are these comparisons with respect to the pjs in your post? Just curious about the lower marks for blacks and shadow detail? I personally care more about 2D (and black levels) than anything 3D...as long as it is watchable occasionally.
post #404 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I'm trying to verify the vertical lens shift is sufficient and if so, to what extent I'll have to use it.

I have a 92" w x 52" h screen. The top of the screen is just 6" from the ceiling. And the center of the ceiling mounted lens is about 4" from the ceiling. Or to put it another way, when ceiling mounted my lens is about 2 inches above the top of the screen.

The manual on page 23 states this:


So this means in my case that the image can be shifted down by up to 34" (65% of 52" height).

So without any shift at all when ceiling mounted, the center of my image will be 2" above the screen, and the bottom of the image will be 28" above the bottom of my screen (52" height of screen / 2 = 26" for bottom half of image, shifted up 2 inches higher since the lens is 2" above the screen = 28" from bottom of screen).

So I will have to shift the image down 28", and I have up to 34" to do so. Which means that a) The VW95 has enough vertical shift for my setup, and b) I'll be using approximately 82% of the vertical shift range (28/34) which is a considerable amount, but not extreme enough to worry about it introducing weird things that can happen with CA or MC when shift is used near the maximum, and c) for my screen size the maximum the lens can be mounted above the top of the screen is 8".

Am I thinking about this right and do you agree with the above conclusions? Thanks!

From what Ive learned when you use that high a percentage of lense shift you will loose lumens but gain contrast. Your not using the sweet spot of the lens thus throwing away much of the reason for buying this nice pj. Cant you lower the pj anyway or mount it on a shelf?
post #405 of 3559
Lens shift doesn't make that much difference on newer projectors, just depends on positioning and amount of lens shift, sometimes you can find sweet spots and see no difference.
post #406 of 3559
Sorry to take the discussion off-topic - but could someone confirm that the Monster Vision and Optoma glasses are the same (or at least that the Optoma glasses can also successfully "dial out the ghosts" on the Sony projectors).

Also - it is not possible to order the glasses directly from Bit Cauldron (the manufacturer)? I have an aversion to giving Monster Cable any of my money.
post #407 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Can you please elaborate in detail on this?

This is my #1 concern about the VW95. Others have reported absolutely zero bright corners. And I have made it a point to really ask for it to be purposely studied and studied hard (as opposed to a "yeah I didn't notice anything" type of response).

I know Kraine knew some had concerns about it and made it a point to study it and reported no hints, even when I circled back with a "are you sure, absolutely nothing?" and he said yes.

Likewise someone else here (sorry I can't remember who but it wasn't Joe) said the same thing. Again I asked did you study it in pitch dark for several minutes and absolutely no hint, nothing, and he came back and said yes that was exactly what he did.

So naturally one has to wonder if you have a more critical eye (a good thing) and all these pjs have a certain amount of this and you can spot it better, or if maybe it is pj specific and yours is a bit more pronounced than with others.

Anyway it would be great if you can elaborate on how you tested for this, to what extent it is there, how easily it is to see on a fade to black, and most importantly - whether you think it is washing out or reducing contrast on other scenes as a result.

I confirm that my VW95ES sample haven't any bright corners issues, it's seems to be the same as for the HW30ES. Some models have bright corners , others haven't any problem.
post #408 of 3559
Bought one from the local dealer here in Toronto, Caanada. Very good price. PM me if you need the dealer's info.

A couple of thing to notice for the Canadian buyer:
1. The PJ is a shipped sirectly from JP to the dealer here. It seems to be a Canada release version with proper NA power cord.
2. The warranty is covered by Sony Canada. However the ES only has one year warranty here in Canana as supposed to be three years in US. The warranty sheet in the box says so. I have not registered on line yet.
3. The unit is manufactured on Spet 26, 2011. The serial number is below 60.

I am upgrading from a VW50, the 1st gen Pearl. Fired up last night. It was a big "WOW" from my wife, though she was hesitating the purchase regarding the price at the beginning. But in the end, it is worth the mony for sure. Very happy with the color and the contrast. Can be compared to the Kuro Plasma that I have. Only thing noticed is that the flashing white scene when I was watching the Avata. I was using a Sony BDP-S5000ES to play the 2D version. Anybody has the same complain? Does the PJ do dark frame insertion?
post #409 of 3559
tuning the MV3D's can take some time to get it perfect. It's best to find a scene and pause it that has noticeable ghosting such as the avatar scene in the screenshots shown in the link in my signature.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20912072

if you have a PC with the RF software, it's easy to experiment using the sliders.

some in the HW30 thread found that 2020 and 80% was a good starting point.

post #410 of 3559
We have the Optoma glasses and emitters for sale (the emitter is packaged with one pair of glasses) and is cheaper to purchase that way instead of a seperate emitter (the emitter is TINY, about the size of a large key fob) and we have the Monster glasses and emitters also. Same deal, better to buy the emitter as a set with one pair of glasses.
post #411 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

We have the Optoma glasses and emitters for sale (the emitter is packaged with one pair of glasses) and is cheaper to purchase that way instead of a seperate emitter (the emitter is TINY, about the size of a large key fob) and we havbe the Monster glasses and emitters also. Same deal, better to buy the emitter as a set with one pair of glasses.

Mark -

Thanks for the "heads-up". I expected to be going the Amazon route for the extra glasses; I don't know why I didn't think of you when considering the glasses.
I expect to be confirming my projector order tomorrow. I'm on Bobbi's "pre-interest" list for multiple projectors.

Now back to my previous question: are the Optoma and Monster glasses the same? (It would at least appear that the emitter is different.)
post #412 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

Bought one from the local dealer here in Toronto, Caanada. Very good price. PM me if you need the dealer's info.

.........
Can be compared to the Kuro Plasma that I have. Only thing noticed is that the flashing white scene when I was watching the Avata. I was using a Sony BDP-S5000ES to play the 2D version. Anybody has the same complain? Does the PJ do dark frame insertion?

unidisk, I will send you a PM about the price. You said picture was comparable to your Kuro plasma. Since I have the Elite Kuro as well, can you comment on the blacks and shadow details compared to the Kuro?
post #413 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Lens shift doesn't make that much difference on newer projectors, just depends on positioning and amount of lens shift, sometimes you can find sweet spots and see no difference.

Thanks. Can someone please confirm my calculations regarding the vertical lens shift range and that my assumptions are correct as detailed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21174043 . Thanks.
post #414 of 3559


Quick shot taken through the Sony glasses with my room lights on - this picture doesn't do justice to the ambient light in the room because the iPhone is reading the screen, but its illuminated enough to read. Here's a longer shot of the light level when the first shot was taken.

post #415 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

tuning the MV3D's can take some time to get it perfect. It's best to find a scene and pause it that has noticeable ghosting such as the avatar scene in the screenshots shown in the link in my signature.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20912072

if you have a PC with the RF software, it's easy to experiment using the sliders.

some in the HW30 thread found that 2020 and 80% was a good starting point.

Thanks. I have tried this with the software with my Samsung. The problem is that changing the Delay didn't seem to make any difference, except that the colors got weird.

The only setting that made a difference was the Duty cycle. With it cranked all the way up there was ghosting because it was too bright. Four clicks with the joystick to lower it was ideal.

I didn't see how the Delay tied in and how to figure out a balancing act or relationship of any kind with the Duty Cycle.

Any tips?
post #416 of 3559
Thread Starter 
Wow that bright trought the glasses !
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post



Quick shot taken through the Sony glasses with my room lights on - this picture doesn't do justice to the ambient light in the room because the iPhone is reading the screen, but its illuminated enough to read. Here's a longer shot of the light level when the first shot was taken.
post #417 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by COE View Post

John
When you insert the converter in the 95, does the built-in IR emitter still work or is it disabled? - I would prefer a wired connection to the RF emitter, but I get two IR glasses with the 95 (I just ordered it - have to wait 2 weeks before receiving it, so I cannot try) - I would love to keep the two IR glasses as spare glasses

Hi Christian,

On the 90ES and the 95ES, plugin in the RJ45 MV/optoma converter cable would stop the projector to send IR 3D sync. The projector exactly racts as the user is plugin in the external TMR-PJ1 IR emitter
So once you plugin-in this converter cable, you have to use the Optoma or MV RF glasses only (this is the best 3D viewing experience so far )

However, if you have a spare external TMR-PJ1 IR emitter on hands, you can use both the converter cable and the Sony external TMR-PJ1 IR emitter at the same time if you use a RJ45 "Y" parallel signals splitter at the projector input.

This last solution can also been use on the VW30ES as this projector have no internal IR emitter (only external).

John
post #418 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post


Quick shot taken through the Sony glasses with my room lights on - this picture doesn't do justice to the ambient light in the room because the iPhone is reading the screen, but its illuminated enough to read. Here's a longer shot of the light level when the first shot was taken.

This kind of picture make me have second thiughts about a high gain screen...
post #419 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

Bought one from the local dealer here in Toronto, Caanada. Very good price. PM me if you need the dealer's info.

A couple of thing to notice for the Canadian buyer:
1. The PJ is a shipped sirectly from JP to the dealer here. It seems to be a Canada release version with proper NA power cord.
2. The warranty is covered by Sony Canada. However the ES only has one year warranty here in Canana as supposed to be three years in US. The warranty sheet in the box says so. I have not registered on line yet.
3. The unit is manufactured on Spet 26, 2011. The serial number is below 60.

I am upgrading from a VW50, the 1st gen Pearl. Fired up last night. It was a big "WOW" from my wife, though she was hesitating the purchase regarding the price at the beginning. But in the end, it is worth the mony for sure. Very happy with the color and the contrast. Can be compared to the Kuro Plasma that I have. Only thing noticed is that the flashing white scene when I was watching the Avata. I was using a Sony BDP-S5000ES to play the 2D version. Anybody has the same complain? Does the PJ do dark frame insertion?




Yes, but you can turn it off. ( normally, it is off at the "fabric" setting )

dj
post #420 of 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

We have the Optoma glasses and emitters for sale (the emitter is packaged with one pair of glasses) and is cheaper to purchase that way instead of a seperate emitter (the emitter is TINY, about the size of a large key fob) and we havbe the Monster glasses and emitters also. Same deal, better to buy the emitter as a set with one pair of glasses.


Mark

Is the price for the sets the same ? Optoma versus the Monster and if it is, wich one do you ( and others ) recommend ? - and is the difference that the IR to RF transmitter on the Optoma has a joystic to fine tune the ghosting and at the Monster´s you shall do it on a pc ?

DO you sell and send to Europe ?


TIA

dj
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread