or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread - Page 21

post #601 of 902
You can turn DHCP back on now wink.gif
post #602 of 902
Need some help, guys. I can't seem to locate an answer for this question. I want to run height channels, no wide channels, AND surround back channels. The Onkyo won't let me do that. It enables height and width both and when they are enabled it won't let me enable surround back speakers. When I run Audyssey with my surround backs hooked up, it detects them as front wide speakers.

Do I have to choose between using either front height/wide OR surround backs? Can I not have both? I feel like I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I mean it's a 9.2 channel receiver so it should do FL, FLH, C, FR, FRH, SL, SR, SBL, and SBR yes?
post #603 of 902
Do you already have your front high speakers connected?

If so, try this. Go to speaker settings 2-1 and set front high/wide to "No" Now go to speaker configuration 2-2 and set your crossover point. Now go to 2-4 Level Calibration and scroll down to front high L/R. You should have front highs now.

Remember those speakers will only output sound when used with these listening modes:

DTS Neo:X (Cinema/Music/Game), DTS Neo:X Cinema + THX Cinema, DTS Neo:X Music + THX Music, DTS Neo:X Game + THX Games, Audyssey DSX (PLII + Audyssey DSX included), Orchestra, Unplugged, Studio- Mix, TV Logic, Game-RPG, Game-Action, Game-Rock, Game-Sports, All Ch Stereo, Full Mono
post #604 of 902
Worked like a charm! Thanks!
post #605 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfileed916 View Post

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

No problem, enjoy.
post #606 of 902
Now that you have heights enabled try screen centered dialogue. It is configured in the home menu button. You might like it. If not it is easy to disable.
post #607 of 902
Curious...when accessing Net - DLNA...NAS...my NAS shows the folders Music, Photos, Videos, Shared but with a red "x" on the Photos and Videos folders...why?

Does the AVR limit NAS access to music files only??
post #608 of 902
Yes, I believe so. No video or photo are able to play through the NET yet.
post #609 of 902
Does anyone actually use the DLNA in their receivers? There are so many better options for streaming it seems like its added just to add to the feature list.
post #610 of 902
I use DLNA on the Onkyo all the time with my NAS for music...but since I recently purchased an Oppo BDP-103, I can now access all media through its DLNA network feature and the GUI is much better than the Onkyo. If I want to play just music, I'll use the Onkyo, if I want to see photos and videos, I'll use the Oppo, but as I said, the Oppo can play music files as well...especially multi-channel WAV files...very cool.biggrin.gif
post #611 of 902
Having trouble with the ARC from my 70" Elite. When Netflix app on TV is exited, receiver changes back from TV to CBL/SAT properly most of the time. However, sometimes the HDMI gets out of sync with the receiver channel. The audio is coming thru but no video. But if I turn off the receiver the video is passed thru. Again, this appears to be an intermittent problem.
post #612 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp View Post

Having trouble with the ARC from my 70" Elite. When Netflix app on TV is exited, receiver changes back from TV to CBL/SAT properly most of the time. However, sometimes the HDMI gets out of sync with the receiver channel. The audio is coming thru but no video. But if I turn off the receiver the video is passed thru. Again, this appears to be an intermittent problem.

Sounds like it is a glitch cause by the receiver failing to completely make the switch. If you turn the receiver off and turn it back on does it then work?
post #613 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Sounds like it is a glitch cause by the receiver failing to completely make the switch. If you turn the receiver off and turn it back on does it then work?

No, the only way I got it back in sync was to unplug it. I seems if I get the FIOS input back on then switch the receiver to CBL/SAT before exiting Netflix it works ok.
post #614 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp View Post

No, the only way I got it back in sync was to unplug it. I seems if I get the FIOS input back on then switch the receiver to CBL/SAT before exiting Netflix it works ok.

It sounds like a glitch that would need to be repaired by a FW update since it is intermittent. My guess is that it's just a quirk you'll have to live with. If it happened every single time I would be leaning more towards defect. I know I've noticed similar quirks with mine, but nothing to write home about.
post #615 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

It sounds like a glitch that would need to be repaired by a FW update since it is intermittent. My guess is that it's just a quirk you'll have to live with. If it happened every single time I would be leaning more towards defect. I know I've noticed similar quirks with mine, but nothing to write home about.


I'm going to run some more tests, but now that I know how to keep it from happening I'm ok with it.
post #616 of 902
Hey guys I just picked up a 3009 and everytime I pause or play or ff/rw a movie or change input modes the amp clicks (fairly loudly). Is this normal?
post #617 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Hey guys I just picked up a 3009 and everytime I pause or play or ff/rw a movie or change input modes the amp clicks (fairly loudly). Is this normal?

Are you using play, pause, etc with a DVR or with a DVD blu-ray player? Changing inputs the clicking is normal, it's also normal if the receiver starts getting too hot. Generally speaker, if I hit play or pause when using a DVR is clicks because it is switching sound modes. So, yes clicking is normal in the majority of cases.
post #618 of 902
Yes watching bluray's on PS3.
Also I cant tell if I am getting HD audio. My Yamaha amp would show MPCM with HD audio and this doesn't.
post #619 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Yes watching bluray's on PS3.
Also I cant tell if I am getting HD audio. My Yamaha amp would show MPCM with HD audio and this doesn't.

As long as your PS3 is outputting what are your audio settings on your PS3?

As long as the PS3 settings are correct and the audio selector for your source is set to HDMI, then you should be getting the correct audio. The best way to know is to shuffle through the sound modes when you're watching the movie, if you see DTS Master or Dolby TrueHD when you shuffle though then you know you are getting the HD audio.
post #620 of 902
It doesn't show either of those but the PS3 doesn't output in bitstream. Only PCM.
post #621 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

It doesn't show either of those but the PS3 doesn't output in bitstream. Only PCM.

Don't use PCM, you should be able to choose dolby digital, or DTS. Try one of those and see if it gets you either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master. Otherwise you need to buy some RCA's and use the multi-channel outs on the PS3.

DISCLAIMER:These are guesses based on reading the PS3 manual. I have an Xbox360 so the PS3 settings are a bit foreign to me. Switching to one of those other two settings should help though.
post #622 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Don't use PCM, you should be able to choose dolby digital, or DTS. Try one of those and see if it gets you either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master. Otherwise you need to buy some RCA's and use the multi-channel outs on the PS3.
DISCLAIMER:These are guesses based on reading the PS3 manual. I have an Xbox360 so the PS3 settings are a bit foreign to me. Switching to one of those other two settings should help though.
Actually if he has an older PS3 he can't bitstream any of the newer codecs and has to let the PS3 internally decode and pass it through to the receiver as PCM. The easiest way for him to see is if he presses display to see what signal he is getting.
post #623 of 902
Ya it's an older PS3 and I lose multi-channel DTS if I turn off PCM. I believe Multi-channel PCM is still HD audio?
I may get a different bluray player and see what it does.
post #624 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Ya it's an older PS3 and I lose multi-channel DTS if I turn off PCM. I believe Multi-channel PCM is still HD audio?
I may get a different bluray player and see what it does.

Best way to tell is press display on your PS3(press select I think) and see if it says that it's decoding either DTS-MA or TrueHD. Make sure you set your PS3 to output in LPCM and on your receiver if you press display it should say your receiving Multichannel PCM. But yes with how cheap stand alone players are maybe it's time to get one.
post #625 of 902
So in the video settings on the ps3 under HDMI audio settings there is an option to change to bitstream, it then shows the ps3 is outputting dts multi-channel and the amp then shows thx, dts, and the dolby symbol with a d but it doesnt show trud hd or MA. I also have to select neo to get sound from my rear center channel. If I leave the ps3 on LPCM then the ps3 shows true HD 7.1 and the amp automatically uses the rear center channel.
Edited by Kamikaze13 - 11/24/12 at 4:07pm
post #626 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

So in the video settings on the ps3 under HDMI audio settings there is an option to change to bitstream, it then shows the ps3 is outputting dts multi-channel and the amp then shows thx, dts, and the dolby symbol with a d but it doesnt show trud hd or MA. I also have to select neo to get sound from my rear center channel. If I leave the ps3 on LPCM then the ps3 shows true HD 7.1 and the amp automatically uses the rear center channel.

Your PS3 can bitstream? If so, then set it to that and then your receiver decodes the signal. If the signal is DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD then you should be getting it.
post #627 of 902
After more research it turns out my ps3 cannot send the HD codecs thru bitstream so I have to use LPCM. Time for a new bluray player I guess.
post #628 of 902
OPPO!
post #629 of 902
Which OPPO???
post #630 of 902
I will go Oppo in the future as I already have a DV-983 but for now I went with the Panasonic BDT220. It's very fast and cheap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread