or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Cheap alternatives Xbox VGA or HDMI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap alternatives Xbox VGA or HDMI?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Heres the question:

I currently have an old 360 without an HDMI port. I want to use a computer monitor instead of my tv. My monitor has HDMI and VGA ports. I have a headset that supports surround sound.

Gamestop has a xbox vga cable for $40 new. There are no used ones in my area. Bad thing about them is there is no optical out, like the original video cable that comes with the xbox. So I can only use stereo for my headset.

Gamestop is also doing a $25 trade-in bonus on systems. So I can basically trade in my fat and get a used fat with HDMI for $65 bucks. I'm just worried about the history of a used 360 from some random that traded it in.

Any recommendations? Thanks
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv View Post

Heres the question:

I currently have an old 360 without an HDMI port. I want to use a computer monitor instead of my tv. My monitor has HDMI and VGA ports. I have a headset that supports surround sound.

Gamestop has a xbox vga cable for $40 new. There are no used ones in my area. Bad thing about them is there is no optical out, like the original video cable that comes with the xbox. So I can only use stereo for my headset.

Gamestop is also doing a $25 trade-in bonus on systems. So I can basically trade in my fat and get a used fat with HDMI for $65 bucks. I'm just worried about the history of a used 360 from some random that traded it in.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Amazon is selling MS vga cables that have the optical output for a little less than that ($36.xx) with free "Super Saver" shipping. If you can wait a few days, that's what I would do. I sure wouldn't get a used 360, especially from Gamestop. No telling what that machine has been through.
post #3 of 16
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I've used this. Works great.

I always use monoprice when I can. But this item is out of stock with no time frame for it getting re-stocked.
post #5 of 16
Question. Why can't ps3 use VGA yet Xbox can?
post #6 of 16
I have an Xbox 360, purchased Xmas 2008, that has component and HDMI. My Panasonic TH-42PS9UK plasma doesn't have a HDMI board installed, so only component and PC (15 pin) inputs. Would I connect the Xbox VGA cable where I connect my component cable on the 360? The connectors look the same.

Will VGA look better than component on my plasma? I remember reading that colors were washed out using VGA, but that may have been fixed in an update years ago.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I always use monoprice when I can. But this item is out of stock with no time frame for it getting re-stocked.

For the record, some folks complain that the monoprice Xbox VGA cable has a fuzzy picture, though I haven't had any issue.

P.J.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 View Post

For the record, some folks complain that the monoprice Xbox VGA cable has a fuzzy picture, though I haven't had any issue.

P.J.

I'm one of those people. It's a horrible ghosting effect. I tried to live with it but ended up not being able to.

ended up getting an authentic used VGA cable at Gamestop for $12 and that picture was so much better.
post #9 of 16
If your TV/Monitor has a TRUE VGA input: authentic vga cable > hdmi/dvi > component > fake/monoprice/bestbuy vga > composite.

vga is not washed out, everything else is oversaturated
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 View Post

For the record, some folks complain that the monoprice Xbox VGA cable has a fuzzy picture, though I haven't had any issue.

P.J.

Only bad product I've ever bought from MonoPrice. Mine is good most of the time, but periodically I'll get horizontal lines running down my screen when using this cable.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

If your TV/Monitor has a TRUE VGA input: authentic vga cable > hdmi/dvi > component > fake/monoprice/bestbuy vga > composite.

vga is not washed out, everything else is oversaturated

Formula, you're going to have to school me on TRUE VGA if you don' mind.

The monitor has the blue female 15 pin connector on the back.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Question. Why can't ps3 use VGA yet Xbox can?

Seriously? Why would the PS3 want to use VGA? Why would they want to go backwards in technology? Why would I want to have to run my video to my TV then use Toslink to my AVR for sound when I can connect the HDMI right into the receiver?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv View Post

Formula, you're going to have to school me on TRUE VGA if you don' mind.

The monitor has the blue female 15 pin connector on the back.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

well it's hard to say, MOST tv's that include vga are "gimped" ... i.e. they wont display full resolution, or have some weird processing/scaling. the 3 tv's i've bought since 2005 I had actually researched to ensure they perform like a monitor (and less like a TV)

on TV's with a "real" vga port, you're going to get next to no processing, which means low input lag (think game mode, but better).

I also think the color space and black levels are better in PC mode, at least with the xbox (so long as you go into the options and set it up correctly)
post #14 of 16
I agree with formulanerd's assessment.

if input latency is important to you, then HDMI is the worst of the options because TV manufacturers want to deliver you the best picture which means the most processing which means the most latency.

for most games, it doesn't matter. but for timing games like Lips or Rocksmith or anything that depends on minimal lag, HDMI is the worst.

I set up my 360 for my PC monitor via VGA or HDMI-to-DVI when I need minimal lag when in Lips. There's virtually no processing with a PC monitor.

For the TV, even with game mode on, there's still some processing. In order to completely turn off processing, you have to be able to access the hidden maintenance menu for your TV which is meant for technicians only. and even then, there's some TVs that can't be fully turned off.

For the HDTV, I use component when I play Lips. It made a big difference in scoring when compared to HDMI.

For all regular gaming, I use HDMI.

But the bottom line when comparing HDMI, VGA, component, etc. is that it really depends on your TV and how your TV manufacturer handles that TV's input. You can't make blanket statements like "VGA is inferior".
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Seriously? Why would the PS3 want to use VGA? Why would they want to go backwards in technology? Why would I want to have to run my video to my TV then use Toslink to my AVR for sound when I can connect the HDMI right into the receiver?

Lower input lag. Easier recording.
post #16 of 16
Well I purchased the MS VGA cable from Amazon and should receive it Nov 9. I'm hoping that it will be an improvement over component on my Panasonic 42" 9UK, which is a professional display.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Cheap alternatives Xbox VGA or HDMI?