or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Official UNXXD8000 settings / calibration thread thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official UNXXD8000 settings / calibration thread thread

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I figured this was a good thread to start because the official owner's thread is mostly repeated questions and quality issues (as most owner's threads are). Not to mention many requests for settings people use.

So to get started here are two of the more common settings.

CNET Review settings - http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-524957.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu:
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: Cinema

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 59, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 10, Green 55, Blue 10
Blue: Red 0, Green 6, Blue 61
Yellow: Red 53, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 4, Green 49, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 37, Green 4, Blue 41

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 19
G-Offset: 18
B-Offset: 20
R-Gain: 31
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 2
Interval 2: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 3: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 4: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 5: Red 6, Green 4, Blue 3
Interval 6: Red 7, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 7: Red 5, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 8: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 9: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 10: Red -2, Green 0, Blue -1

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Custom
-- Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
Smart LED: Standard
Cinema Black: On

TweakTV Settings - http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...un55d8000.html

Picture Modes
Picture Mode : Movie
Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Color temperature : Warm 2
Picture Settings
Backlight : 12
Contrast : 95
Brightness : 45
Color : 46
Tint : G50/R50
Advanced Settings
Blacktone : Off
Dynamic Contrast : Off
Gamma : 0
Expert Pattern : Off
RGB Only Mode : Off
Color Space : Custom
White ABlance : Factory Default
10 pt. White Balance : Off
Fleshtone : 0
Edge Enhancement : Off
otion Lighting : Off
xvYCC : Off
LED Motion Plus : Off
Picture Options
Color Tone : Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter : Auto
MPEG Noise Filter : Auto
Auto Motion Plus : Off
Smart LED : Standard
Cinema Black : On

Please share your own settings, methods and experiences with us! Also I think would be a good place to discuss any picture quality issues you may have had and settings adjustments made to fix them.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

I figured this was a good thread to start because the official owner's thread is mostly repeated questions and quality issues (as most owner's threads are). Not to mention many requests for settings people use.

So to get started here are two of the more common settings.

CNET Review settings - http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-524957.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu:
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: Cinema

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 59, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 10, Green 55, Blue 10
Blue: Red 0, Green 6, Blue 61
Yellow: Red 53, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 4, Green 49, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 37, Green 4, Blue 41

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 19
G-Offset: 18
B-Offset: 20
R-Gain: 31
G-Gain: 29
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 2
Interval 2: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 3: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 4: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 5: Red 6, Green 4, Blue 3
Interval 6: Red 7, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 7: Red 5, Green 6, Blue 4
Interval 8: Red 3, Green 3, Blue 2
Interval 9: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 10: Red -2, Green 0, Blue -1

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Custom
-- Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
Smart LED: Standard
Cinema Black: On

TweakTV Settings - http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...un55d8000.html

Picture Modes
Picture Mode : Movie
Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Color temperature : Warm 2
Picture Settings
Backlight : 12
Contrast : 95
Brightness : 45
Color : 46
Tint : G50/R50
Advanced Settings
Blacktone : Off
Dynamic Contrast : Off
Gamma : 0
Expert Pattern : Off
RGB Only Mode : Off
Color Space : Custom
White ABlance : Factory Default
10 pt. White Balance : Off
Fleshtone : 0
Edge Enhancement : Off
otion Lighting : Off
xvYCC : Off
LED Motion Plus : Off
Picture Options
Color Tone : Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter : Auto
MPEG Noise Filter : Auto
Auto Motion Plus : Off
Smart LED : Standard
Cinema Black : On

Please share your own settings, methods and experiences with us! Also I think would be a good place to discuss any picture quality issues you may have had and settings adjustments made to fix them.

you should get this thread moved to the LCD forum by the mods
post #3 of 10
And this "sticky" thread from the top of this sub section of the forum explains why:

Sharing display menu settings?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies. I had not seen that particular thread.

I will say though that i DID post this thread initially on the LCD page, only to be told that it should be here.

Seems odd as both forums have settings threads for various models.

Mods you can do whatever you want with either thread.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

Thanks for the replies. I had not seen that particular thread.

I will say though that i DID post this thread initially on the LCD page, only to be told that it should be here.

Seems odd as both forums have settings threads for various models.

Mods you can do whatever you want with either thread.

The reason you didn't see it is because it was no longer listed specifically at the top of this sub section of the forum. All the "sticky" threads for this sub section of the forum used to appear individually at the top. One could assume the moderators were trying to streamline the appearance of this section by grouping them under the 'Links to this forums popular threads' title. . Unfortunately, the education of the readership has suffered somewhat in the process. There is a popular misconception in the consumer video community that persists without proper education to the contrary. That misconception is that all displays of a common make and model behave identically, and can share settings values to perform the same. This is wishful thinking and patently false.

Told by whom? Swapping settings is not a reliable substitute for calibration and does not logically belong in a calibration discussion, as was explained in the linked "sticky" thread.

Any threads dedicated to sharing settings that may appear in this 'Display Calibration' sub section of the forum is likely only due to misunderstandings and/or misinformation, such as in your case.

If you want to request action by a moderator, it is better to notify them via the "Report Post" triangle icon in the far left-hand column of each post. Simply referencing a moderator in the body of a post is not likely to be noticed. The moderators don't have the time to read every post.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

That misconception is that all displays of a common make and model behave identically, and can share settings values to perform the same. This is wishful thinking and patently false.

While I agree that not all displays behave identically, I do think some commonly used settings available online can be used a good 'starting point' to be later tweaked by the individual user. If they're as useless as you claim why do sites post them?

I for one also value the feedback of specific settings people use. For example "I used the CNET settings but ran into some clouding in dark scenes. In my experience lowering the backlight helped"

What is the point of this entire sub-forum if not to share and discuss different settings and experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Told by whom? Swapping settings is not a reliable substitute for calibration and does not logically belong in a calibration discussion, as was explained in the linked "sticky" thread.

Any threads dedicated to sharing settings that may appear in this 'Display Calibration' sub section of the forum is likely only due to misunderstandings and/or misinformation, such as in your case.

http://httparchive2.avsforum.com/avs...5#post21161305 Where a user told me to post my post here

Remember not everyone has the same expertise or interest as you with regards to specific settings and calibrations. Perhaps you would have this entire sub-forum be comprised of one post that says "You should just pay 200-400 to have it professionally calibrated".

I would almost go so far as to say a majority of visitors to this forum fall into the low-expertise category which is why they come here in the first place; for information and feedback. This is supported at least in the UNXXD8000 official owners thread where pretty much once a page someone is asking for the settings others use.

And again I would argue against the premise that discussing or sharing calibration settings should not be done in the calibration sub-forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

If you want to request action by a moderator, it is better to notify them via the "Report Post" triangle icon in the far left-hand column of each post. Simply referencing a moderator in the body of a post is not likely to be noticed. The moderators don't have the time to read every post.

I didn't request action by a moderator, I'm just stating in my post that I'm open to any action by one if my post does violate any terms of use.

I would advise you to take your own advice if you have a problem with this thread.

Otherwise, please let us noobs have our fun and share our experiences.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

While I agree that not all displays behave identically, I do think some commonly used settings available online can be used a good 'starting point' to be later tweaked by the individual user. If they're as useless as you claim why do sites post them?

I for one also value the feedback of specific settings people use. For example "I used the CNET settings but ran into some clouding in dark scenes. In my experience lowering the backlight helped"

What is the point of this entire sub-forum if not to share and discuss different settings and experiences?



http://httparchive2.avsforum.com/avs...5#post21161305 Where a user told me to post my post here

Remember not everyone has the same expertise or interest as you with regards to specific settings and calibrations. Perhaps you would have this entire sub-forum be comprised of one post that says "You should just pay 200-400 to have it professionally calibrated".

I would almost go so far as to say a majority of visitors to this forum fall into the low-expertise category which is why they come here in the first place; for information and feedback. This is supported at least in the UNXXD8000 official owners thread where pretty much once a page someone is asking for the settings others use.

And again I would argue against the premise that discussing or sharing calibration settings should not be done in the calibration sub-forum.




I didn't request action by a moderator, I'm just stating in my post that I'm open to any action by one if my post does violate any terms of use.

I would advise you to take your own advice if you have a problem with this thread.

Otherwise, please let us noobs have our fun and share our experiences.

Stop being silly. There is plenty of help for DIYs serious about proper calibration, provided by expert professionals who donate their valuable time and knowledge, in this sub section of the forum.

All of your points have been repeatedly discussed and debated in the past. You present nothing remotely new. No one is preventing you from posting display settings to your heart's content, please do it in the section for your type of display. Your cooperation will be appreciated.
post #8 of 10
Does anyone know of any published service mode tweaks that has more control over LED functionality?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

While I agree that not all displays behave identically, I do think some commonly used settings available online can be used a good 'starting point' to be later tweaked by the individual user. If they're as useless as you claim why do sites post them?

Why do CNET or any of those site post anything?

To get eyeballs on their banner ads.

Of course there are some settings that are correct regardless of the individual differences. Movie mode may always have a more accurate gamma and gamut, dynamic contrast may always screw things up. The gamma control may only get to 2.0-2.1 at +5, so always use +5. Sharpness may always be in neutral at 25 out of a 100.

But beyond those settings everything else is better done with a calibration disc or should be calibrated with a probe.

In my last job at a graphic design firm, I was resposible for maintaining around 10 workstations that all had Dell 2407wfp monitors. And everyone of them was different enough at D65 that you were likely as close to D65 at 100,100,100 as you were using the settings from a different 2407.
post #10 of 10
Bit the bullet and got myself an i1 display pro with Calman software. Here's my settings.

Picture mode: Movie
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 50

black tone: off
Dynamic contast: off
gamma: 0
Color Space:
custom
R 52 4 0
G 4 57 0
B 0 5 60
Y 53 53 2
C 2 53 54
M 50 5 50

White Balance
R-offset 21
G-offset 23
B-offset 19
R-gain 22
G-gain 25
B-gain 14

10p
1 - 0 0 0
2 - 1 0 2
3 - 1 0 1
4 - 1 1 1
5 - 3 2 2
6 - 0 2 2
7 - 1 2 3
8 - 1 2 4
9 - 2 2 3
10 - 2 2 3

Flesh: 0
Edge enhancement: off
Motion lighting: off
xvYCC: off
LED motion Plus: Cinema

Color Tone: Warm2
Digintal noise filter: auto
mpeg noise filer: off
Film Mode: off
auto motion plus: clear
Smart LED: standard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Official UNXXD8000 settings / calibration thread thread