or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 36

post #1051 of 1090
So I've owned my TCP46ST30 for about 7-8 months so far. I believe I do have the brightness fluctuation issue, but not as severe as some as I don't notice it every single time, it just crops up at times, bugs me, then I forget about it.

However what has been occurring is the buzzing issue. Loud enough that I can hear it over the volume of the TV and a fan that was on in the other room. It does indeed fluctuate its noisiness depending on the brightness of the image being displayed, and if you stand right near the TV its quite evident. It doesn't happen constantly though, only every now and again does it crop up.

Question, has anyone done a swap / return with Panasonic directly? I'm obviously out of my retailers exchange period, but they did have a deal to up Panasonic's warranty to 3 years. I'm just wondering what the process is like / how much hassle I'm in for.

Thanks!

- D
post #1052 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoid View Post

So I've owned my TCP46ST30 for about 7-8 months so far. I believe I do have the brightness fluctuation issue, but not as severe as some as I don't notice it every single time, it just crops up at times, bugs me, then I forget about it.
However what has been occurring is the buzzing issue. Loud enough that I can hear it over the volume of the TV and a fan that was on in the other room. It does indeed fluctuate its noisiness depending on the brightness of the image being displayed, and if you stand right near the TV its quite evident. It doesn't happen constantly though, only every now and again does it crop up.
Question, has anyone done a swap / return with Panasonic directly? I'm obviously out of my retailers exchange period, but they did have a deal to up Panasonic's warranty to 3 years. I'm just wondering what the process is like / how much hassle I'm in for.
Thanks!
- D
Can't help with your question but in one of the GT30 threads people have fixed the problem by tightening screws on the back panel.
post #1053 of 1090
Hey guys. So I bought my MJ series 55VT30 around 6/30/11 and it has an 1137 serial. I was having the brightness fluctuation issue, so I began a support ticket back in May. I am also having an issue where the panel will go about 20% darker on the left side of the panel (split right down the middle of the screen). The split screen issue is very sporatic. It can happen a couple of times a day, or be a couple of weeks before it happens again. I've been trying to get a picture for warranty, but it only lasts 1-3 seconds and then it fixes itself. It almost looks like the TV goes to demo mode, then fixes itself. Anyway, a tech came out to load the 2.21 firmware from an SD card. I already had 2.22 on the TV. He wants me to try and recreate the split panel issue, but as I explained to him I can only try as it doesn't happen on command. I am using custom settings that mimic standard for now while I'm trying to get the issue resolved.

I want to go through and do the break in/settings listed in the first page of this thread. Just don't know if I should since I have an open ticket? I'm just trying to get all issues resolved before my manf. warranty expires.

Questions:

1. How do I know if I have the EPROM version or not? The manf. date is not on the same sticker as the Serial/Model. It's mounted to the wall, so I need to know where to look to see if I can get to it without pulling it down.
A. Since a tech was out here and loaded 2.21 from an SD card, do you think that had the EPROM patch on it? Or is there a way to tell?
2. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I did not see anything searching through this thread for keyword 'split'.

As always, thanks guys!
post #1054 of 1090
Hope someone here can help. I've had my TCP42ST30 for a few months and earlier this week noticed what looks like burn-in on the top left of the screen where the channel number display is. I'm not sure how many hours I have on the set, and I didn't use the slides method, just set up using Digital Video Essentials HD. Any tips for what I should do?
post #1055 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhouse View Post

Hope someone here can help. I've had my TCP42ST30 for a few months and earlier this week noticed what looks like burn-in on the top left of the screen where the channel number display is. I'm not sure how many hours I have on the set, and I didn't use the slides method, just set up using Digital Video Essentials HD. Any tips for what I should do?

It is more likely Image Retention than Burn In. Your channel indicator wouldn't have been on that long. Just keep playing full screen material and it should go away.
post #1056 of 1090
Just picked up a 65GT30 (excited - was eyeing this for the last 3 months) and spent almost half a day on this forum trying to ensure I am taking the correct steps to break in and calibrate for day to day use.

Since there are so many posts I would like to recap what steps I need to take to setup the tv correctly to avoid potential burn-in.

Run 100 hr break-in
1) Download files from link - Evangelo's USB/SD Card files
2) Transfer break-in files to SD card
3) Pop in SD card to TV and it should automatically get picked up and start the break-in

Post 100 hr break-in
1) Download FW 2.1 (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/pro/down_pro.html)
2) Install FW 2.1 via SD card (pop in TV and it should automatically come up with prompt to update)
3) Install FW 2.2 via TV network

Calibration
1) Apply Dave_O Mid Brightness or Low Brightness settings

Hopefully I have captured this correctly, please confirm if I am on the right path. Will correct if I have misstated anything to ensure others benefit from this post as I am sure they probably have the same questions as I did.
post #1057 of 1090
PM sent
post #1058 of 1090
So I purchased the panasonic viera tc-p55st30 used display model from sears, initially the TV looked awesome but I reset the settings like an idiot. Is it recommended that I take the settings from the first post or is that only for new TVs that havent been broken in? Any suggestions would be helpful as the picture looks like crap.
post #1059 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffranky View Post

So I purchased the panasonic viera tc-p55st30 used display model from sears, initially the TV looked awesome but I reset the settings like an idiot. Is it recommended that I take the settings from the first post or is that only for new TVs that havent been broken in? Any suggestions would be helpful as the picture looks like crap.
Use the settings in the second post for the ST30, the 1st post is for prepping the panel with the slides. Should get you back to a starting point you can tweak from there.

Also, browse the ST30 settings thread. You can see what other members are using. There may be updated settings for the well aged panels that are better than post 2 here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1338491/panasonic-st30-diy-calibration-and-settings-thread
Edited by moxie1617 - 9/6/12 at 8:23am
post #1060 of 1090
I have a question for you guys. I have two VT25 Plasmas and used DNice's settings in the service menu a while back with great success. I went into the service menu and adjusted the Cuts and Drvs to get the proper picture.

I am going to help my friend calibrate is TC-P50ST30. When I looked through DNice's settings, it doesn't look like you have to enter the service menu at all and that the modifications can all be done in the regular settings menu? I assume that my TV being a VT has many more customizations settings than his ST30. Is that correct?

Note that his settings have no drvs or cuts

North American TC-PxxST30 Reference Settings

Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 78
Brightness: 54
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off


Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: +10
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: +10
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: -8

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.2
Panel Brightness: Low
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***


Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto
post #1061 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I have a question for you guys. I have two VT25 Plasmas and used DNice's settings in the service menu a while back with great success. I went into the service menu and adjusted the Cuts and Drvs to get the proper picture.
I am going to help my friend calibrate is TC-P50ST30. When I looked through DNice's settings, it doesn't look like you have to enter the service menu at all and that the modifications can all be done in the regular settings menu? I assume that my TV being a VT has many more customizations settings than his ST30. Is that correct?
Note that his settings have no drvs or cuts
North American TC-PxxST30 Reference Settings
Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 78
Brightness: 54
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal
W/B High R: +10
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: +10
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: -8
Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.2
Panel Brightness: Low
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0
HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***
Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

The High and Low settings in custom do the same thing as the drives and cuts in the service menu. But yes if you are adjusting custom you do not need to enter the service menu at all for Cinema you will need too. Word of advice those settings will produce a somewhat dim picture. May want to bump up panel brighness to "mid", also change the HDMI setting to "graphics".
post #1062 of 1090
Thanks for that information. I was able to read through the entire thread and noticed the same question was answered at least a few times. It sounds like DNice tried it both ways and a more accurate picture was achieved through Custom/regular settings than through Cinema/service menu.
post #1063 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Thanks for that information. I was able to read through the entire thread and noticed the same question was answered at least a few times. It sounds like DNice tried it both ways and a more accurate picture was achieved through Custom/regular settings than through Cinema/service menu.

Also if you doing daytime watching Custom is definitely the way to go Cinema is capped at 30ftl which is pretty dim unless you are watching in the dark,
post #1064 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler31 View Post

Just picked up a 65GT30 (excited - was eyeing this for the last 3 months) and spent almost half a day on this forum trying to ensure I am taking the correct steps to break in and calibrate for day to day use.
Since there are so many posts I would like to recap what steps I need to take to setup the tv correctly to avoid potential burn-in.
Run 100 hr break-in
1) Download files from link - Evangelo's USB/SD Card files
2) Transfer break-in files to SD card
3) Pop in SD card to TV and it should automatically get picked up and start the break-in
Post 100 hr break-in
1) Download FW 2.1 (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/pro/down_pro.html)
2) Install FW 2.1 via SD card (pop in TV and it should automatically come up with prompt to update)
3) Install FW 2.2 via TV network
Calibration
1) Apply Dave_O Mid Brightness or Low Brightness settings
Hopefully I have captured this correctly, please confirm if I am on the right path. Will correct if I have misstated anything to ensure others benefit from this post as I am sure they probably have the same questions as I did.

Wait, does any of this apply to the ST30 too? Mine will be here next week and I was planning on upgrading the firmware before running D-Nice's settings.

Does it actually matter what order you do this stuff in?
post #1065 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

Wait, does any of this apply to the ST30 too? Mine will be here next week and I was planning on upgrading the firmware before running D-Nice's settings.
Does it actually matter what order you do this stuff in?

You should update the firmware but no that particular sequence is related only to the GT30.
post #1066 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

Wait, does any of this apply to the ST30 too? Mine will be here next week and I was planning on upgrading the firmware before running D-Nice's settings.
Does it actually matter what order you do this stuff in?

This patch doesn't apply to an ST30 so you can age the panel before or after a firmware update since it won't affect the panel. Even the aging process is optional, I just plugged in my ST and started watching it normally.
post #1067 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoid View Post

So I've owned my TCP46ST30 for about 7-8 months so far. I believe I do have the brightness fluctuation issue, but not as severe as some as I don't notice it every single time, it just crops up at times, bugs me, then I forget about it.
However what has been occurring is the buzzing issue. Loud enough that I can hear it over the volume of the TV and a fan that was on in the other room. It does indeed fluctuate its noisiness depending on the brightness of the image being displayed, and if you stand right near the TV its quite evident. It doesn't happen constantly though, only every now and again does it crop up.
Question, has anyone done a swap / return with Panasonic directly? I'm obviously out of my retailers exchange period, but they did have a deal to up Panasonic's warranty to 3 years. I'm just wondering what the process is like / how much hassle I'm in for.
Thanks!
- D

ive got the same issue...a lot of buzzing, especially at brighter scenes...

im really starting to hate it...

anyone have any help?
post #1068 of 1090
Hello all,
New to the forum and have a question, but first a bit of history r/t my situation. I just bought a TC-P55VT30 from a dealer who was wanting to get it out of his storage area in back to make room for the new 2013 models. Was sceptical, but when unboxed could tell it was truly new and hadn't been used. But upon hooking up, no picture on the lower half of the screen. So contacted Panny and they had a service tech call me to set up repairs, but he ordered in a new board to bring with him as it's a 65 mile trip one way. Board on back order so have not had the TV on. My plan is to use D-Nice's break-in slides once the repair is done, then dial in his settings. Here is my panny's info: MJ series. Manufactured in May 2011. So do I use the EPROM or NON-EPROM settings? Will a firmware update change what settings I should use? This is the first Plasma I've owned, and I've not calibrated any of my previous TVs to this extent, so much of this is new territory.
Thanks in advance,
Zack
post #1069 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack67360 View Post

Hello all,
New to the forum and have a question, but first a bit of history r/t my situation. I just bought a TC-P55VT30 from a dealer who was wanting to get it out of his storage area in back to make room for the new 2013 models. Was sceptical, but when unboxed could tell it was truly new and hadn't been used. But upon hooking up, no picture on the lower half of the screen. So contacted Panny and they had a service tech call me to set up repairs, but he ordered in a new board to bring with him as it's a 65 mile trip one way. Board on back order so have not had the TV on. My plan is to use D-Nice's break-in slides once the repair is done, then dial in his settings. Here is my panny's info: MJ series. Manufactured in May 2011. So do I use the EPROM or NON-EPROM settings? Will a firmware update change what settings I should use? This is the first Plasma I've owned, and I've not calibrated any of my previous TVs to this extent, so much of this is new territory.
Thanks in advance,
Zack

Congrats on your purchase. Here's a faq on the eeprom thing. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1331665/official-panasonic-2011-tc-pxxvt30-series-thread-discussion-thread-no-price-talk/2910#post_21210910
post #1070 of 1090
Thank you whipit. Very infomative information. I checked my serial number and it is non-eeprom update. Manufactured in May with the digits 1137, so I called Panasonic and spoke with a lady about my conerncs and gave her the Service Reference number that was posted for the patch. She said she would have to pass it "up". I called them Monday and just requested antother TV be swapped out with this one as it's looking like I'm giong to need several reapairs to make it right and with me being 65 or miles from the tech, each trip and repair is going to cost them enough that it won't take many and they'll be in the hole. My suggestion was to just trade me out for a better model. We'll see. From what I've read here on this forum and other owner reviews, most all people love it and think it's got a fantastic picture, so I really don't want to get rid of it. The only way is if they'd offer me a larger screen in the VT30 series, or a newer vt50 series. But will have to see what they decided; may end up waitting antother 2 weeks or so for everything to come in. In the meantime no TV to watch, which leads to moe down dime in bed, and that leads to more wink.gif Not a bad thing at all:)
Thanks for the help/
Jack
post #1071 of 1090
In your downtime look thru the ST, GT, and VT50 threads. Those are the 2012 models and if Panny goes for the swap for a new TV that's probably what they will offer. From my reading most feel that the 2012 models have superior picture quality to the xx30 sets. If they offer an ST50, etc. it may still be a good offer even if it's the bottom end of those models.
post #1072 of 1090
An ST50 was what I was originally shopping for when I came across this VT30. The sales person gave made me such a great offer I went for it. Now I see Sears has the 60" VT50 for only $300 more than I paid for a broken 55" VT30 mad.gif If it wasn't such a pain to box it back up, borrow a vehicle I can haul it in again and make the long drive back to Tulsa I'd return it. But have the ball rolling now with Panasonic so will try and be patient. In the meantime getting lots of net surfing done. Just a quick question though in case Panasonic does offer a swap. Which of the settings D-Nice posted for the 2011 model will work on the 2012 50's?
z
post #1073 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack67360 View Post

An ST50 was what I was originally shopping for when I came across this VT30. The sales person gave made me such a great offer I went for it. Now I see Sears has the 60" VT50 for only $300 more than I paid for a broken 55" VT30 mad.gif If it wasn't such a pain to box it back up, borrow a vehicle I can haul it in again and make the long drive back to Tulsa I'd return it. But have the ball rolling now with Panasonic so will try and be patient. In the meantime getting lots of net surfing done. Just a quick question though in case Panasonic does offer a swap. Which of the settings D-Nice posted for the 2011 model will work on the 2012 50's?
z
Hate to tell you this, but even the ST50 is considerably better than the VT30.

As for your question, none of the settings for the 2011 models will work with the 2012 models. Settings are model specific, and even then they won't be perfect due to panel to panel variations. The only settings for the 2012 models that he has posted are for the ST50, and they're over at High Def Junkies.
Edited by rahzel - 10/18/12 at 3:44pm
post #1074 of 1090
Ok. Thanks for the info. After working all night and then hitting the gym and getting the blood going while stewing over the jacked up VT30, came home and called the place I'd purchased the defective VT30. Even though I'm outside the 7 day return policy since the TV hasn't worked since day 1, they are taking it back and I'm getting a TC-P60ST50 instead. They said they'd have to order it in and it should be there middle of next week. Now will have to start my research all over, but at least I'll have a TV that works. smile.gif
post #1075 of 1090
st30 here, ive tried many different settings from different forums and posters and i pretty much settled on dnice settings, but changed color temp to warm1, panel brightness to mid and hdmi content to graphics. i think im done finally
post #1076 of 1090
How do I enable the 3:2 pulldown? I am using the Custom mode and 3:2 pulldown is grayed out.

Thanks!
post #1077 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

How do I enable the 3:2 pulldown? I am using the Custom mode and 3:2 pulldown is grayed out.

Thanks!

You have to be displaying a 1080i source and on the 2011 sets "ON" is the only setting that works, auto doesn't function properly
post #1078 of 1090
DNICE: You have any settings for the TCP55VT50??
Thanks
post #1079 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrjnky View Post

DNICE: You have any settings for the TCP55VT50??
Thanks

What... confused.gif
post #1080 of 1090
just ordered one. picking up on Thursday. Didn't know if there were any of his settings floating around. My GT30 crapped out and warranty company cut me a check. Can you say U P G R A D E!!!!!! wOOHOOOOO:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread