or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-P42ST30 Thoughts/Fears
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic TC-P42ST30 Thoughts/Fears

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I'm completely new to plasma, but I'm really wanting to purchase the Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV.

First, I'd like to start out with my fears and (possibly) get some reassurance that this TV is what I am looking for:

(1) I've read a couple of posts that people have had motion blurring issues when playing video games (esp. Xbox 360). Since I am a first-person-shooter
junkie, I cannot accept this "flaw" in my set -- is this a Panasonic design flaw or an end-user (settings) flaw? Can I be sure that my 360 will perform well on this set?

(2) I've read MANY posts from over the past 3-4 years about the dreaded Panasonic blinking lights. Accordning to Consumer Reports these people are probably among the 2% who get defectives TVs. This will be subjective, but is this a valid reason to shy away from Panasonic? (I ask this only because I've had bad luck with Panasonic about 5 years ago, but haven't touched their electronics in the past 5 years).

(3) I've also read many posts about "pre-conditioning" (if you will) your set during the first 100 hours to avoid burn-in -- being new to plasma, this also scares me a little bit. Is there a good chance that burn-in can occur or is that generally a result of, say, someone who leaves their TV on 24/7 or watchs 10 movies a day (with the black bar) or plays WoW for 16 hours a day? I maybe play Xbox 4 hours week, watch 1 or 2 feature films a week, but my wife uses our HTPC throughout the day to watch Hulu or listen to music.

In closing, just a couple of thoughts that people can comment on if they wish:

(1) I've read several posts that the "ST" model is worth the extra $$ (compared to the "S" model) because of it's anti-reflection filter and a couple of other "pro" features. I'm not really interested in 3D at the moment, but I am willing the pay the extra $$ to watch TV during the day .

(2) Having bad luck with Panasonic electronics in the past, I was actually very shocked to find that Panasonic was at the top of the list of plasma TV manufacturers.
post #2 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I can't seem to find much supporting evidence for my fears and everyone seems to be happy with the TV, so I'm moving forward with my purchase. But I will keep this post open for awhile in case someone is willing to comment (to help others in my situation).
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christnp View Post

So I can't seem to find much supporting evidence for my fears and everyone seems to be happy with the TV, so I'm moving forward with my purchase. But I will keep this post open for awhile in case someone is willing to comment (to help others in my situation).

As I just posted in another thread and several times in others, you should be just fine. I've had my 42ST30 since the end of April and have not had one single problem with the display. I usually have my display ISF calibrated (well-worth the investment) but this display's PQ was so outstanding after I found the finished settings posted by DNice and punched them in using Custom mode that it will not be calibrated. As for conditioning the display, that seems to be a BIG personal preference. Personally, I've been told by several ISF calibrators that it won't hurt but probably won't help. I don't game so I have no info there. Yes the ST series is worth the extra money since it had the new Panasonic plasma technology, the S series does not and there is a huge difference in PQ. Using common sense with your plasma is all you need. Vary your viewing habits for those first 100 hours with a little bit of everything and you will be fine. I have not had one instance of IR or burn in since I bought the display. And I agree that it is a small percentage of people who are unlucky and get lemons. It's a pain to have to make a return and I feel very fortunate to have two Panasonic plasmas (I have a 2 year old 65" in my HT that has also been problem free) that have been perfect. Chances are you will be fine also. One thing I never do is go looking for problems. I figure if I don't see them they aren't there.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christnp View Post

So I'm completely new to plasma, but I'm really wanting to purchase the Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV.

First, I'd like to start out with my fears and (possibly) get some reassurance that this TV is what I am looking for:

(1) I've read a couple of posts that people have had motion blurring issues when playing video games (esp. Xbox 360). Since I am a first-person-shooter
junkie, I cannot accept this "flaw" in my set -- is this a Panasonic design flaw or an end-user (settings) flaw? Can I be sure that my 360 will perform well on this set?

(2) I've read MANY posts from over the past 3-4 years about the dreaded Panasonic blinking lights. Accordning to Consumer Reports these people are probably among the 2% who get defectives TVs. This will be subjective, but is this a valid reason to shy away from Panasonic? (I ask this only because I've had bad luck with Panasonic about 5 years ago, but haven't touched their electronics in the past 5 years).

(3) I've also read many posts about "pre-conditioning" (if you will) your set during the first 100 hours to avoid burn-in -- being new to plasma, this also scares me a little bit. Is there a good chance that burn-in can occur or is that generally a result of, say, someone who leaves their TV on 24/7 or watchs 10 movies a day (with the black bar) or plays WoW for 16 hours a day? I maybe play Xbox 4 hours week, watch 1 or 2 feature films a week, but my wife uses our HTPC throughout the day to watch Hulu or listen to music.

In closing, just a couple of thoughts that people can comment on if they wish:

(1) I've read several posts that the "ST" model is worth the extra $$ (compared to the "S" model) because of it's anti-reflection filter and a couple of other "pro" features. I'm not really interested in 3D at the moment, but I am willing the pay the extra $$ to watch TV during the day .

(2) Having bad luck with Panasonic electronics in the past, I was actually very shocked to find that Panasonic was at the top of the list of plasma TV manufacturers.


christnp:

Nice post, i own 2 plasmas. Despite some people beating down on them in this forum they are wonderful and well performing displays. However, you sound like you might be the type of person that's going to completely pick apart any TV (plasma or not) that you buy. There is no perfect TV! Every panel made by whatever manufacturer have some sort of issue or flaw(s). Its just a matter of what flaws you personally can tolerate. Read any thread on any TV and there will be people complaining about the "issues" it might have.

Here are my answers to your questions.

1) I do not own an Xbox, but i do have a PS3. The only first person game i play "Call of Duty" looks fantastic on my VT25. I dont see motion blurring at all on either of my plasmas.

2) I am not sure what you mean about "blinking lights". If you mean flicker, i only see it when i am watching sports and they show an instant replay. Thats it. Its nothing major either.

3) You will have no problems with a plasma if you use it how you described. You dont run break in slides to prevent "burn in". You run the 100 hours of slides to evenly age the phosphers quicker. Most people who run the slides do so to calibrate it sooner. It will do nothing to prevent burn in. I did not run slides on either of my 2010 plasmas. The key to these sets is mixing up the viewing. If you do this you will be fine. If you watch 4 hours of something with black bars, try and watch something full screen your next viewing. I really dont think about this stuff. The only thing i try not to do is leave the CNN static logo or logos like it for 4 or 5 hours. I watch a lot of sports with static scoreboards (6 hours of NFL on Sundays) and i have had a bit of retention, but it goes away quickly with alternate viewing. Its nothing to worry about. If you play the same video game with huge static HUDs and scoreboards etc, for 4 hours a day, every single day with high settings you will probably get some stubborn IR. Most people who run into issues with these TV's do it with intense video game marathons everyday without mixing up the viewing. I dont think ive once read someone who watched too many letterboxed movies having issues with stubborn retention, so i wouldnt worry about that at all.

I am in Canada and we dont have Hulu. However if your wife wants to use it for hours and hours a day and it has static logos then run it through a reciever and to be safe just turn off the panel. You dont need the panel on unless you are changing songs etc. I do this when running music through my PS3. There is no point in having it on if i dont need too.

Answers to your "Thoughts"

1) Do not touch the S model with a 10 foot pole. You will be disappointed with it. Cough up the extra money and pick up the ST model which is an excellent TV for a just a little more money. The ST is the best value for the price of any TV released in 2011. Its defintely the best bang for the buck.

2) I got to be honest, i have had amazing luck with Panasonic electronics. From phones to DVD players to plasmas. Never had any issues, maybe i'm just lucky! The company that i have had most issues with quality when it comes to TV's is Sony.

Buy the ST30. Make sure the store you purchase it from has a 30 day return policy if you are worried. I am also a big believer in extended warranties when it comes to these panels in general.

You will love it though.

Good Luck,

Mike
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks for both of these excellent responses! I went with the ST version based on your two responses and I don't think I will be disappointed . Thanks again!
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

As I just posted in another thread and several times in others, you should be just fine. I've had my 42ST30 since the end of April and have not had one single problem with the display. I usually have my display ISF calibrated (well-worth the investment) but this display's PQ was so outstanding after I found the finished settings posted by DNice and punched them in using Custom mode that it will not be calibrated. As for conditioning the display, that seems to be a BIG personal preference. Personally, I've been told by several ISF calibrators that it won't hurt but probably won't help. I don't game so I have no info there. Yes the ST series is worth the extra money since it had the new Panasonic plasma technology, the S series does not and there is a huge difference in PQ. Using common sense with your plasma is all you need. Vary your viewing habits for those first 100 hours with a little bit of everything and you will be fine. I have not had one instance of IR or burn in since I bought the display. And I agree that it is a small percentage of people who are unlucky and get lemons. It's a pain to have to make a return and I feel very fortunate to have two Panasonic plasmas (I have a 2 year old 65" in my HT that has also been problem free) that have been perfect. Chances are you will be fine also. One thing I never do is go looking for problems. I figure if I don't see them they aren't there.

You mind letting us know which month your TV model is?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-P42ST30 Thoughts/Fears