or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread - Page 75

post #2221 of 3370
I purchased one about 2 weeks ago and must say it's very impressive. I use it more for gaming then watching movies because it's not really comfortable to drink/eat while wearing this. Also when I game I am more focused and can keep my head still. While, when watching a movie, staying still is more... challenging.

The 3d, especially with no ghosting, is simply the best 3d I've ever seen. I've always had trouble with ghosting before and it took away all immersion. With this thing it's simply not there. There are still lighting issues sometimes but that has to do with the content you're playing/watching not being optimized enough for 3d play.

The only thing I kinda dislike is that I can't use my own headphones with this thing. I have some expensive over-the-ear headphones and they sound 10 times better then the ones on the hmz-t1 but as far as I can tell there is no way to use them unless I want to break the headset. Anyone found a way to use their own headphones yet? Or anyone broke off the headphones of the hmz-t1?
post #2222 of 3370
i can't keep my head still while gaming - i usually end up after few minutes just looking at the floor.. but the gameplay is so intense that i just keep on gaming with movies it's no problem, as i always lay down..
post #2223 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSt8 View Post

If someone asked me my over all rating on these? An easy 7 out of 10, needs better comfort and a more in depth customization (such as removing the ear pieces to use your own head set, allowing the eye adjustments to have a larger area and separate from each other.) Along with a more appropriate price tag of around $400-500.

All your requests had been answered with modding. Check my post few pages back.

Comfort issue - do a simple welding helmet mod.
Remove Ear pieces - Done. I'm using Grado SR80 with MixAmp 5.8 wireless.
Separate adjustment for each eye pieces? - Done. Just take out one gear knob to decouple the eye pieces movement. Focus and blurring issue solved with this mod.

With all the modding above, it's as good as it gets for current gen of HMD.
post #2224 of 3370
hi all,

is powerdvd the best player to play all the sbs trailer or movie downloaded from net to used on the hmz?

Thanks
post #2225 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

All your requests had been answered with modding. Check my post few pages back.

Comfort issue - do a simple welding helmet mod.
Remove Ear pieces - Done. I'm using Grado SR80 with MixAmp 5.8 wireless.
Separate adjustment for each eye pieces? - Done. Just take out one gear knob to decouple the eye pieces movement. Focus and blurring issue solved with this mod.

With all the modding above, it's as good as it gets for current gen of HMD.

rjyap:

1 - You mentioned a few pages back, there is a mod available to replace the black side wings (so it is still long enough to block the light, but doesn't interfere with replacement headphones). Could you point me in the right direction?

2 - What material did you use to mount/adhere the eyeglass lenses? Is that some sort of putty?

TIA
post #2226 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill2006 View Post

rjyap:

1 - You mentioned a few pages back, there is a mod available to replace the black side wings (so it is still long enough to block the light, but doesn't interfere with replacement headphones). Could you point me in the right direction?

2 - What material did you use to mount/adhere the eyeglass lenses? Is that some sort of putty?

TIA

1. Just cut out those packing sponge and stick to the side of HMZ-T1 to block out the light.

2. Use blu-tack. It's reversible.
post #2227 of 3370
Okay guys, my full body Skyrim (real 1st person view) mod files are up on the nexus now.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6002 Version 05a - none shaky

Give em a try if you fancy. I find 3D, head tracking and being able to see a character body when you look down if immersive beyond belief.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.
post #2228 of 3370
Got my hmz-1 ---friday--- sold it saturday---
Sorrry guys this thing is just not good enought. even the picture quality dont mach higher end tvs, 3D may be relaxing and such but the unit is so nose heavy n fits so unwell-

it wasnt for me
post #2229 of 3370
Did see the pixel grind 2 well, thought 720p may be good enought but sadly its looks hardly hd with bluray even tested dvds and the hmz-1 dont diffrent the picture much between them. 3D reminds me off passive 3D not sharp not super clear.. black levels are fantastic of the oleds but thats that.. Im thinking maybe ill give smd st1080 a shot since that is in full hd and much lighter this sony is deff not worth full price
post #2230 of 3370
the picture is not hd? i dont know what was your material, but i'm sure you didn't spend enough time on it.. like u said, got it on friday, sold on saturday. that's your first mistake.

to the guys who mod their hmz-t1 - i made a construction helmet mod, but the picture is disappearing because of the sensor - i have to push my face closer to the screen to see the picture again.. how do u block the sensor? i tried putting some spong on the forehead (i took that foam part B completly out), and some other things but no luck. after few seconds screen goes black..
post #2231 of 3370
Sorry this has so a poor pixel count its hardly hd reminds me of passive 3d , was looking forward 2 oled but ... no way im using this with that picture
bluray hd dvd even the xbox360 dash lookt awful
post #2232 of 3370
You must be using yours wrong because the picture is amazing. My Xbox 360 dashboard looks great on mine, DVD's and blurays look amazing and the 3D is mind blowing.

Oh and passive TV's 3D looks good as well.. I have an LG and find the 3D better than my Sony active set.
post #2233 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Sorry this has so a poor pixel count its hardly hd reminds me of passive 3d , was looking forward 2 oled but ... no way im using this with that picture
bluray hd dvd even the xbox360 dash lookt awful

I understand you see the pixel color bleeding and soft picture due to poor focus issue. Once getting the right position, you'll get a very sharp PQ and I don't see the pixel at all. Movies normally are more forgiving compare to PC games and text. As mention earlier by most users, you need sometime to adjust for the sweetspot. Again, I don't think this product is for everyone if you expect it to be perfect out of the box without modding. It's easy to adjust if you display a white text against a black background. If the focus is not optimal, you will see the text bleed color at the edge.
post #2234 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixpress View Post

how do u block the sensor? i tried putting some spong on the forehead (i took that foam part B completly out), and some other things but no luck. after few seconds screen goes black..

Just open up the top cover (only 4 screws) and use some blu-tack to stick the small switch down (the one that had a mechanism connect to your forehead plastic).
post #2235 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Sorry this has so a poor pixel count its hardly hd reminds me of passive 3d , was looking forward 2 oled but ... no way im using this with that picture
bluray hd dvd even the xbox360 dash lookt awful

Have to agree with bravia3D. When playing BDs the stellar HD picture is amazing on the two 720P micro screens. You have to be doing something wrong to think you "observe a poor pixel count".

Paul
post #2236 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixpress View Post

how do u block the sensor? i tried putting some spong on the forehead (i took that foam part B completly out), and some other things but no luck. after few seconds screen goes black..

I know I have stated early-on in this thread that I use a large metal paper clip where I bent one of the outer area legs using needle-nose pliers, and it forms a smooth V shape to keep pressure on the switch. Then I just slip the clip in the bottom slit at the base and the spring-like action is secured by the crevice in the plastic and it keeps the sensor active. It can be removed easily anytime just by pulling it out when I need the sensor to work.

Paul
post #2237 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

1. Just cut out those packing sponge and stick to the side of HMZ-T1 to block out the light.

2. Use blu-tack. It's reversible.

Thanks again for the help.

I've disassembled the hmz down to the point where I can remove the black earphone side-wings. Unfortunately, I discovered the plastic is molded as one solid piece with the upper side-wing that contains the ratchet which adjusts for head-size.

I want to keep the upper ratchet side-wing for stability and adjustment purposes. I noticed in your previous posts, you kept it too. How did you separate the lower earphone side-wing from the upper one? Also, did you keep the lower part of the plastic base (with the second screw-hole) for stability?
[I figure this mod will void the warranty, but I consider it worth it to use my own headphones without the earphone side-wings pressing into my ears. Too bad Sony didn't anticipate/accommodate this option - hopefully next model they will.]

Thanks again.
post #2238 of 3370
hi guy,

how to setup so that my denon 3d amp will play sound from the speaker instead of headphone on the hmz-t1?

Thanks
post #2239 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill2006 View Post

Thanks again for the help.

I've disassembled the hmz down to the point where I can remove the black earphone side-wings. Unfortunately, I discovered the plastic is molded as one solid piece with the upper side-wing that contains the ratchet which adjusts for head-size.

I want to keep the upper ratchet side-wing for stability and adjustment purposes. I noticed in your previous posts, you kept it too. How did you separate the lower earphone side-wing from the upper one? Also, did you keep the lower part of the plastic base (with the second screw-hole) for stability?
[I figure this mod will void the warranty, but I consider it worth it to use my own headphones without the earphone side-wings pressing into my ears. Too bad Sony didn't anticipate/accommodate this option - hopefully next model they will.]

Thanks again.

I cut off the black side wing and remove the headphone. The upper part is tied to the welding helmet.
post #2240 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

I know I have stated early-on in this thread that I use a large metal paper clip where I bent one of the outer area legs using needle-nose pliers, and it forms a smooth V shape to keep pressure on the switch. Then I just slip the clip in the bottom slit at the base and the spring-like action is secured by the crevice in the plastic and it keeps the sensor active. It can be removed easily anytime just by pulling it out when I need the sensor to work.

Paul

it's a little bit difficult to imagine this for me. could you please post some reference images? i've done really simple mod with safety helmet, but i just can't get the sensor to work.. why they didn't make an option in settings to turn sensor off is beyond me.

the mod is very simple, but dramatically improves the comfort of use.
cost is less than 20 euros..
post #2241 of 3370
I just pulled the trigger on this HMD...I was planning on getting a 3D TV, but after reading this thread I am sold on the immersiveness factor (for gaming). Ships tomorrow 1-day express...I can't wait.
post #2242 of 3370
I am very pleased with my HMZ-T1, however it was indeed incredibly uncomfortable.

Its not something that is hard to fix tho, and I wanted to share my $10 comfort mod.



What I've done here is to simply unscrew the straps, removed the pad from one of the extras that came with the box (so I could revert to original if I wanted, however this is so damn comfortable I probably never will..) and attached the straps from a hard hat with stripes. You could of course use glue to make a neater mod, this is mostly a mock-up.

What this did for me is to more efficiently spread the weight over my head, and remove the stress the forehead pad did. The HMD is actually just hanging from the front with 2 stripes, and the headphones stabilize it very well without adding any preassure on the ears. It is also perfectly centered, providing a sharper image.

These are the straps from a Peltor hard hat, available to buy seperate for aprox. $10:
post #2243 of 3370
guy is powerdvd 12 software good to play those sbs movie downloaded from net to play on the hmz device?
post #2244 of 3370
Can you guys please suggest me some ps3 games that looks incredible with hmz-t1 , 2d / 3d games.

so far i have:
stardust hd
uncharted 3
resistance 3
killzone 3
post #2245 of 3370
ps3 avatar is ok with it sbs 3d function and why dont u try ridge racer 7 and gt 5 which both is racing games that have good 3d picture as well.
post #2246 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohd2000 View Post

Can you guys please suggest me some ps3 games that looks incredible with hmz-t1 , 2d / 3d games.

so far i have:
stardust hd
uncharted 3
resistance 3
killzone 3

Child of Eden will immerse you.
God of War: Ghosts of Sparta (comes on a 2-game disc. Chains of Olympus isn't bad either)
post #2247 of 3370
I been working on a few new movies and making one especially made for the Sony HMZ.

This is just a small demo test I have made with some extreme depth. Only passive TV sets and the Sony HMZ are able to display it correctly. It looks amazing when I view on the Sony, felt like I was really there and I shot some extreme depth scenes off a large building looking out and I felt I was really up there again.

Enjoy,

Download here

http://computercowboy.com/blazin3d/H...oshextreme.rar

Burn with IMG burn to a BDR and watch!
post #2248 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I been working on a few new movies and making one especially made for the Sony HMZ.

This is just a small demo test I have made with some extreme depth. Only passive TV sets and the Sony HMZ are able to display it correctly. It looks amazing when I view on the Sony, felt like I was really there and I shot some extreme depth scenes off a large building looking out and I felt I was really up there again.

Enjoy,

Download here

http://computercowboy.com/blazin3d/H...oshextreme.rar

Burn with IMG burn to a BDR and watch!

Hi bravia3D,

Your URL has "H...oshextreme.rar" in it. So we can't download it....

Alex
post #2249 of 3370
Ok i will fix it
post #2250 of 3370
Ok, couldn't fix it so please download from the 3D content section under my Huistenbosch post there, it works.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › Sony HMZ-T1 HMD Owner's dedicated thread