or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 38

post #1111 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post

You're worrying too much about your neighbors. With bedrooms on the far side, you should be fne. They'll tell you if it's too loud. Why invite all that unnecessary grief by asking them abut it?
Crank it and enjoy. If they complain, then turn it down a little.

Exactly, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. wink.gif
post #1112 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

I just did A little while ago, have it unpacked and letting it warm up to room temp. before I hook it up.smile.gif

Well, Crazy, are they room temperature yet?
post #1113 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Well, Crazy, are they room temperature yet?

Ha, yes.. I only purchased one though .
I have it only set up by SPL meter though, I will run Audyssey tomorrow, but so far Music and a few samples of movies verify that this XS30 is one great sub.smile.gif

Here's 3 photo's
The Truck Freight Packaging is Good
The last one is the XS30 sitting next to a HSU VTF-1 that's on a 23" L x 15" W x 2.75" high Auralex GRAMMA


post #1114 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

Ha, yes.. I only purchased one though .
I have it only set up by SPL meter though, I will run Audyssey tomorrow, but so far Music and a few samples of movies verify that this XS30 is one great sub.smile.gif

Here's 3 photo's
The Truck Freight Packaging is Good
The last one is the XS30 sitting next to a HSU VTF-1 that's on a 23" L x 15" W x 2.75" high Auralex GRAMMA



Make sure you report back after you get properly set up
post #1115 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post

You're worrying too much about your neighbors. With bedrooms on the far side, you should be fne. They'll tell you if it's too loud. Why invite all that unnecessary grief by asking them abut it?
Crank it and enjoy. If they complain, then turn it down a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Exactly, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. wink.gif

That would be the easier route for sure, but I guess I am over thinking things. Or at least I hope. I could always play the innocent card in that I didn't know it was that loud and I'm sorry. But then what do you do from there smile.gif I'm hoping the issue is moot and the neighbors really can't hear it or it just is faint enough that it doesn't matter. I guess you all don't have issues with your neighbors then? I don't but just wondering.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

The last one is the XS30 sitting next to a HSU VTF-1 that's on a 23" L x 15" W x 2.75" high Auralex GRAMMA

I did notice yesterday that I could hear the closet door and shelves shaking so maybe I need to invest in the Auralex Gramma or something similar. Does seem a bit expensive though, but I guess if it does the job by keeping the shaking down in the room, I might have to get something similar. I assume it helps you out alot?

Thanks,
post #1116 of 9899
Que Bill....
post #1117 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

Que Bill....
It's someone else's turn.
post #1118 of 9899
I felt that the Auralex Gramma worked for me with the Hsu down-firing sub, but I forgot to ask Tom if it would be of any benefit for the XS30 sealed sub.
I did put mine on some 2" diameter sliders which keeps it from sitting directly on the carpet because of it's weight and helps me to move it around.
Also I would need help to try to center it on the Gramma since the sub is so huge.smile.gif
post #1119 of 9899
Should you use a surge protector with the sub? Or plug it straight into the wall?
post #1120 of 9899
If
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Should you use a surge protector with the sub? Or plug it straight into the wall?
If its one of the whole house surge protectors, these are fine (as stated previously in this thread). Power conditioners, strips, etc.. not so much!
post #1121 of 9899
No its just a surge protector that you plug into the wall.
post #1122 of 9899
post #1123 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

The XS30, XS15 and XV15, both duals and singles have been getting all the love here. How come the XV30 gets so little attention? Is anyone on this forum using an XV30? Wut up wit dat?

According to Tom, XV-30 was sold out in Dec.
Not too many people, willing to post their options in public, unless you ask.
post #1124 of 9899
must be a secret society.

on another note...aparantly i was running my xv15 super hot when i initailly calibrated it with SPL meter. I ran audyessy and the intial calibration of the sub wa 95db lol!! but even with that setting the thing didnt break a sweat! with nemo at -8db. this thing has some major power in reserve. makes my former pb12-nsd seem like a bose bass cube (well maybe not that bad haha)
post #1125 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

must be a secret society.

Nothing secret about that.
For the most part, they are just more active listeners than they are speakers. On the Internet, they are referred to as lurkers. When they do speak, usually they are informed and not just spouting off like many people do.
post #1126 of 9899
Like this guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

I don't think people really want to pay the price for it. I don't see it being a large sub as the reason. ...... The design needs a major overhaul...fast.

Just my $.02


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Good, works for you. I was speaking towards the look of the sub. It's a box on a slab.... ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

There are a lot of sexy subs out there. ..... It's just not a pleasing design for me right now.


You telling Tom V have to redesign fast on one of the best sub was sold out in Dec?
Do you know they sold out like hot cakes with in few months?
That was an excellent troll you posted.
post #1127 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Should you use a surge protector with the sub? Or plug it straight into the wall?

Somewhere in this thread Tom V recommend plug it straight into the wall. This topic has been mention many times; sorry I couldn’t remember to point to exactly threads.
If you have to use some kind of surge protection, make sure it has some serious amp ratings.
post #1128 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

on another note...aparantly i was running my xv15 super hot when i initailly calibrated it with SPL meter. I ran audyessy and the intial calibration of the sub wa 95db lol!! but even with that setting the thing didnt break a sweat! with nemo at -8db. this thing has some major power in reserve. makes my former pb12-nsd seem like a bose bass cube (well maybe not that bad haha)

It's normal if you set sub's gain at 2 o'clock. You're right about this Bash amp, plenty of power in reserve.
post #1129 of 9899
i actually put it at 3 o'clock as I have read somewhere about the PSA subs. and then adjusted the trim on the AVR. i then turned it down using audyessy so now its more like 1 o'clock and -.05 on the avr (but that was bumped up from -4 cause i always run a little hot ~82db on the spl meter)
post #1130 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post


That would be the easier route for sure, but I guess I am over thinking things. Or at least I hope. I could always play the innocent card in that I didn't know it was that loud and I'm sorry. But then what do you do from there smile.gif I'm hoping the issue is moot and the neighbors really can't hear it or it just is faint enough that it doesn't matter. I guess you all don't have issues with your neighbors then? I don't but just wondering.
I did notice yesterday that I could hear the closet door and shelves shaking so maybe I need to invest in the Auralex Gramma or something similar. Does seem a bit expensive though, but I guess if it does the job by keeping the shaking down in the room, I might have to get something similar. I assume it helps you out alot?

Thanks,

I've had my 2 Velodyne F1500s for almost 20 years (in the same house) and the only time the neighbors have ever complained is when I have the windows open while playing the system. eek.gif I've got rentals on both sides of me, so I've been through a plethora of different neighbors but very little complaints.

I wonder if things will change now that I'm running 2 / XS30s + 2 / F1500s....? tongue.gif

Not sure what my current neighbor is running, but I have to put up with a soft *thump* late at night every so often. I've never complained - maybe that's because I know what I put them through from time to time. cool.gif
post #1131 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Somewhere in this thread Tom V recommend plug it straight into the wall. This topic has been mention many times; sorry I couldn’t remember to point to exactly threads.
If you have to use some kind of surge protection, make sure it has some serious amp ratings.

I checked with Tom, plugging directly into the outlet is fine, unless you live in an area that is prone to power surges. I had a power surge that fried an amp on my Jamo c80 sub last year so I'm going to use this, approved by Tom. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/belkin-single-outlet-wall---mount-surge-protector-f9h101acw-dp.html#.UPl1oGdyF8F
The main thing is to NOT use any sort of "conditioner" which could potentially limit the current to the subwoofer.
post #1132 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

I checked with Tom, plugging directly into the outlet is fine, unless you live in an area that is prone to power surges.

Our service connection hangs directly off the utility pole transformer. Three homes are attached at this point. Does this constitute the most stable power supply or the most dangerous power supply?

We've been at this location for three years and with the exception of several storm related local wide power outages and a few switching glitches, the overall power stream has been stable; +/- 5V or +/- 2%.
post #1133 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Not sure what my current neighbor is running, but I have to put up with a soft *thump* late at night every so often

You sure that's from their subwoofer and not due to something else? wink.gif
post #1134 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You sure that's from their subwoofer and not due to something else? wink.gif

In my younger days, pre-subwoofer, my bedroom was below that nightly "boom-boom" stuff. tongue.gif
post #1135 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I've had my 2 Velodyne F1500s for almost 20 years (in the same house) and the only time the neighbors have ever complained is when I have the windows open while playing the system. eek.gif I've got rentals on both sides of me, so I've been through a plethora of different neighbors but very little complaints.

I wonder if things will change now that I'm running 2 / XS30s + 2 / F1500s....? tongue.gif

Not sure what my current neighbor is running, but I have to put up with a soft *thump* late at night every so often. I've never complained - maybe that's because I know what I put them through from time to time. cool.gif

Yeah, even when I play my movies at night around -10 volume I can go outside and hear the mid and upper trebles, so maybe some extra bass doesn't hurt too much. At least I hope. But man, your neighbors sure are understanding smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You sure that's from their subwoofer and not due to something else? wink.gif

hahaha...funny stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In my younger days, pre-subwoofer, my bedroom was below that nightly "boom-boom" stuff. tongue.gif

I'm hoping you weren't still living at home eek.gif (j/k...hehehe)
post #1136 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

i actually put it at 3 o'clock as I have read somewhere about the PSA subs. and then adjusted the trim on the AVR. i then turned it down using audyessy so now its more like 1 o'clock and -.05 on the avr (but that was bumped up from -4 cause i always run a little hot ~82db on the spl meter)

BF, when you say you adjusted the trim on the AVR and then you turned it down using audyssey, are those the same thing? I know I usually will run Audyssey and then adjust the trim with an spl to around 75 db or so, depending on the speaker. Are you saying that use set the gain to 3 o'clock, then ran Audyssey, then changed the trim levels, and then changed the gain on the sub to 1 o'clock?

Sorry, I'll need to re-calibrate mine a bit later. I had the gain at like 2 o'clock with the sub in the corner and after Audyssey, the sub level was at -12. I know you usually want it close to 0 if possible give or take +-3. So I'll have to go in and turn the gain closer to 3 o'clock and re-run Audyssey and that should make the sub level closer to 0. So it'll be a back and forth for a couple of tries. I'll then need to move it behind the main listening position and compare that as well.
post #1137 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

I'm hoping you weren't still living at home eek.gif (j/k...hehehe)

Talking about giving one psychological nightmares.

"And what is the genesis of this Oedipus Complex you have?"

Thankfully, I was eighteen and out of the house.
post #1138 of 9899
Ok I think I'm having problems here on the XS30. I am not feeling the deep bass, which is odd because the XS30 is suppose to have deep bass. For example the FOTP barrel roll scene, I didn't feel nothing. Not like I did with my VTF3 MK4. I also have used the cd that comes with the VTF3 MK4 that has samples that go below 16hz and it just doesn't feel like its hitting those notes like it should be. Also the auto on feature isn't working. I've emailed Tom but I know he's a busy guy, hasn't responded yet. Anyone have any ideas? Think its a amp issue?

Yamaha is set at -2 on the sub and the gain is around 2 to 3 o clock.
post #1139 of 9899
Have you tried a diff cable yet? Ya never know
Hope it's nothing major.
post #1140 of 9899
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Ok I think I'm having problems here on the XS30. I am not feeling the deep bass, which is odd because the XS30 is suppose to have deep bass. For example the FOTP barrel roll scene, I didn't feel nothing. Not like I did with my VTF3 MK4. I also have used the cd that comes with the VTF3 MK4 that has samples that go below 16hz and it just doesn't feel like its hitting those notes like it should be. Also the auto on feature isn't working. I've emailed Tom but I know he's a busy guy, hasn't responded yet. Anyone have any ideas? Think its a amp issue?

Yamaha is set at -2 on the sub and the gain is around 2 to 3 o clock.

Have you calibrated the sub to 75db?

Could be a placement issue. When I got my dual XS15s I put them where I had my old subs and they sounded horrible. Moved them to the front of the room and they really came to life!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread