or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Cute pictures wink.gif!!
Please let us know your thoughts on the performance of them and also what subs you previously owned and how these compare to them?
Thanks,
Cheers

My previously owned subs
Dual VTF3MK2, dual Klipsch RW-12D and dual SVS PB10-NSD (sold)
And I'll use Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2-Ch Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for room correction
post #122 of 9943
Pretty cool that some people are already ordering pairs or triplets of these subs without even any prior reviews.

av addiction....dual XV30's is quite a lot of subwooferage....coming from dual 12's....you don't kid around when it comes to upgrading.
post #123 of 9943
I just ordered the XV15.. Awesome service.. Check out the email the owner sent me.. We had been going back and forth in emails for a little while today..

Hi Scott,

Processing just said they see your order. We are going to build and test it now. We should have it all tested(we run each subwoofer through a series of max output tests to check for rattles, and then do a frequency sweep to insure correct linearity) and boxed in time to hand it off to fedex tonight. So we'll send out tracking info asap(in a couple hours)., With any luck you'll see it Thursday. Friday would be the latest.

Thank you very much for the order Scott. I know it is a leap of faith when there's not a whole lot of reviews/testimonials to go by right now.

Tom Vodhanel
Power Sound Audio
Power Up!
post #124 of 9943
Here's a quick shot of what the XS15 looks like without the driver and amp.

post #125 of 9943
The only thing that bothers me a little ,is the finish is kind of plain,but I understand you have to cut costs somewhere to give people a good deal.
post #126 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

The only thing that bothers me a little ,is the finish is kind of plain,but I understand you have to cut costs somewhere to give people a good deal.

With a screen name like LowTech1 it would seem that spartan is more to your liking. biggrin.gif

That picture is a bit misleading; it almost makes it appear as though it's covered in bedliner or something, which is not the case. It's a "sand" finish, but the particles are pretty fine. It's also more of a grayish hue then the black it seems to be.

I get what you mean though; it's not a piano black finish. No highly polished gloss here. If your needs are more towards a furniture-grade finish then you may not be thrilled with how this one looks. I'm starting to warm up to it though because there's no glare, which the polished finishes have. Doesn't show dust or finger smudges either, which is a good thing for me.
post #127 of 9943
Do you have anymore pics of the amp or driver?
post #128 of 9943
I don't understand why they went that way with the finish. Its doesn't have to be black gloss,but maybe a smooth matte.
post #129 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Do you have anymore pics of the amp or driver?

I figured someone might end up asking me that. smile.gif Tom actually sent me the picture. He thought I would like to see what the inside of the sub looks like before I actually take this one apart (something he seemed to know I was going to do). When I write my review I'll have a bunch more pictures. Stay tuned...
post #130 of 9943
How many people on this forum actually own these subs so far?
post #131 of 9943
Looks like PSA is off to a good start and it's good to see an American business doing it right. I wish you much success. cool.gif
post #132 of 9943
+1 its nice to see a new bang for the buck sub company start up, we need one to fill the void that will be left. I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of XS15s in a few weeks.
post #133 of 9943
Both Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina came from SVS. Tom V is a co-founder of SVS and Jim is an engineer who took over as head of R&D in late 2007. Tom V builds a good reputation for the quality of good products and support services for SVS before.
They play a big part of SVS’s successful today.
post #134 of 9943
I get my new XV15 tomorrow.. Woot!
post #135 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I get my new XV15 tomorrow.. Woot!

Can't wait to hear your impressions!
post #136 of 9943
The sub just showed up. 2 1/2 hrs til I get to leave work. This thing is huge. Its going to eclipse the legend. I'm assuming its about the size of an empire. I wonder how fast this thread is going to grow.. :P
post #137 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I just ordered the XV15.. Awesome service.. Check out the email the owner sent me.. We had been going back and forth in emails for a little while today..
Hi Scott,
Processing just said they see your order. We are going to build and test it now. We should have it all tested(we run each subwoofer through a series of max output tests to check for rattles, and then do a frequency sweep to insure correct linearity) and boxed in time to hand it off to fedex tonight. So we'll send out tracking info asap(in a couple hours)., With any luck you'll see it Thursday. Friday would be the latest.
Thank you very much for the order Scott. I know it is a leap of faith when there's not a whole lot of reviews/testimonials to go by right now.
Tom Vodhanel
Power Sound Audio
Power Up!
Yep, the service is good. I cannot believe how fast Tom gets back to you with info!!!
post #138 of 9943
Here's some pics for you guys. This thing is huge! Look at the comparison to the Legend. I'm gonna fire it up in a bit..

PS4.jpg
PS1.jpg
PS2.jpg
post #139 of 9943
^^
and your first impression about its sound is.....
post #140 of 9943
The sub is awesome! Excellent build,looks great. Fills my room with bass now. And the thing just pounds! Very impressive,I'd buy it again..In fact I might buy another in a few months..But.. this thing is huge! Easily the size of a small Fridge..eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #141 of 9943
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

The sub is awesome! Excellent build,looks great. Fills my room with bass now. And the thing just pounds! Very impressive,I'd buy it again..In fact I might buy another in a few months..But.. this thing is huge! Easily the size of a small Fridge..eek.gifbiggrin.gif


So compared to your Legend, your PSA slaps it around? Not in the same game, ae?? cool.gif
Edited by Shift - 9/2/12 at 6:57am
post #142 of 9943
Pretty much.. The legend is nice,but the PSA is noticeably more powerful.
post #143 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Pretty much.. The legend is nice,but the PSA is noticeably more powerful.

How do they compare as far a detail with music?
post #144 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Pretty much.. The legend is nice,but the PSA is noticeably more powerful.

Sealed vs ported!
post #145 of 9943
Honestly the are both pretty articulate. But I'd go with the PSA hands down. It just gets lower and it still sounds tight. I hear deep notes I haven't heard before. With movies,its sick! Fills my room better also. I might go with another one down the road.
post #146 of 9943
Nice, yea 2 would be nice.
post #147 of 9943
XV30 Mini Review

So going back about 7 years ago or so, my first HT sub was 2 / VTF3MK2 and then dual Klipsch RW-12D, back then I thought it sounded excellent, but my VTF2 and Klipsh subs weren't giving me that slam and impact I had been looking for, I decided to look for replacement. I and did lots and lots of research on AVS’s forum. I was drawn to the XV30 because of it's value. you can't ignore the price, I pretty much made up my mind (and leap of faith) that XV30 going to be my next dual subs.
I was blown away! As I watched LOTR Trilogy, the XV30s had plenty of opportunity to flex its muscle. The movie is filled with lots of high-energy action and LFE channel activity. The XV30s had no problems coupling with and energizing my 3800+ cu-ft. Bass extension was deep and powerful, providing tactile sensations. I then loaded up a movie I have watched many time before, Iron Man 2; this soundtrack has lots of deep bass in connection with a variety of explosions and special effects.
I then watched Saving Private Ryan another action movie with lots of low-frequency energy. The attack scene is filled with numerous explosions and gunshots that gave the SV30s a real workout. The explosions as reproduced by the SV30s reached low, shaking my sofa pant legs flapping and causing buzzes, rattles and in my room. The firing of the heavy machine guns produced bass that was not as deep as the explosions but much sharper and more defined.
I wanted to see if the XV30s could do so with enough finesse to fit into a first-class music, the Eagles’ Hotel California (DTS, DVD). The drums on this album are well-recorded, with solid impacts and a detailed note. The biggest difference was that, on the decay notes, the XV30s was much more natural and lifelike

Pro: You will not be disappointed with the output level of this beast! I feel that the VX30 outdoes it in all aspects, mid-upper bass, bass extension, musicality and home theater slam, especially when one considers the 10% discount price! If you have the room for this thing and are considering a sub, this would be a fantastic way to go. You can certainly get similar performance from other subs out there, but you're looking at a considerable jump in cost.

Con: I’m using Pioneer VSX-1021-K with MCACC for room calibration.
But somehow MCACC doesn’t calibrated XV30s correctly, so I have to use shack's spl meter for calibration. What baffles me is why I need so much more volume on the AVR to compensate the gain on sobwoofer.eek.gif but I could be mistaken
Anyone with Pioneer receiver better watch out.






2 Proprietary 15" high excursion drivers


XV30, VTF3-MK2, Klipsh RW-12D




to give you all an idea of the scale, here's a pictures of xv30s next to 70" TV

Edited by av addiction - 9/4/12 at 12:26pm
post #148 of 9943
MCACC dosent calibrate the sub per say. Only up to 60Hz. You can use a rat shack spl meter to see if the sub registers 75db at the listening position (where you place the pioneer mic (seated ear height etc) when you manually calibrate the sub only. Also, check to see if MCACC set your sub (and other speakers) to "small", "large" and for the sub, "plus". All this as well as playing with the crossover settings in the MCACC manual will usually make a big positive difference in the sound. Play around an stick with what sounds good to you.
post #149 of 9943
Hey AV,

How do you have the ports facing in relation to the TV? I was originally going to go with 2 of the XV30's also but due to some space constraints I went with 3 XV15's.

What sub isolators are you using?

Thanks
Ray
post #150 of 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

MCACC dosent calibrate the sub per say. Only up to 60Hz. You can use a rat shack spl meter to see if the sub registers 75db at the listening position (where you place the pioneer mic (seated ear height etc) when you manually calibrate the sub only. Also, check to see if MCACC set your sub (and other speakers) to "small", "large" and for the sub, "plus". All this as well as playing with the crossover settings in the MCACC manual will usually make a big positive difference in the sound. Play around an stick with what sounds good to you.
I did all of that basic stufft. According to Tom that could be low Sensitive on the sub's amp,
You're right, with Tom's help; I played around with the setting for the whole week. And stick with what sound good to me.
Edited by av addiction - 9/4/12 at 1:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread