or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

My xv 15 made a really strange noise today for the first time. I was just watching xmen first class and the scene when keven bacon engulfs the hand grenade. Made a really bad sound. I rewound and it did the sound again. It's weird because I was only at -10. My gain is at 3 o'clock and sub is set to plus +1.5 on my avr. Not sure but my best guess is it bottomed out? I just find it strange because I've listened to other bass heavy movies at higher volume and never had a problem. I turned the gain down hopefully never heared that sound again.


Most likely the receiver sent an unusually large voltage spike(a sudden bass peak) to the input on the XV15 amplifier. So it may have had a very brief (fraction of a second) "clip". This often sounds like a "clack". The driver cannot "bottom" and make this type of noise in our designs.

Have you calibrated yet? If not, that tends to help minimize this type of problem. If it only happens "once a month" or something like that I wouldn't worry too much about it. If its more like once a day....time to calibrate and or try a different location for the subwoofer too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #1472 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Most likely the receiver sent an unusually large voltage spike(a sudden bass peak) to the input on the XV15 amplifier. So it may have had a very brief (fraction of a second) "clip". This often sounds like a "clack". The driver cannot "bottom" and make this type of noise in our designs.

Have you calibrated yet? If not, that tends to help minimize this type of problem. If it only happens "once a month" or something like that I wouldn't worry too much about it. If its more like once a day....time to calibrate and or try a different location for the subwoofer too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Yes I calibrated the system with audyssey xt. The xv 15 has been sounding great. This is the first time I've heared it make the clack sound. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Thanks for the quick response.
post #1473 of 10047
Lebreeze, you in Windsor Ontario?
post #1474 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Most likely the receiver sent an unusually large voltage spike(a sudden bass peak) to the input on the XV15 amplifier. So it may have had a very brief (fraction of a second) "clip". This often sounds like a "clack". The driver cannot "bottom" and make this type of noise in our designs.

Have you calibrated yet? If not, that tends to help minimize this type of problem. If it only happens "once a month" or something like that I wouldn't worry too much about it. If its more like once a day....time to calibrate and or try a different location for the subwoofer too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hey Tom...This brings up a good point.
Are we safe to assume that for the most part the DSP in the amp will prevent us from damaging the sub by pushing it too hard. EG, turning up the gain too much to get more spl.?
post #1475 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

Lebreeze, you in Windsor Ontario?

Yes sir biggrin.gif
post #1476 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoform View Post

Alan,

Have you ever taken measurements from 5-6' closer to the front of the room?
And do you have any bass traps?

No and no.
post #1477 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

Yes sir biggrin.gif

Right on, Im in Lasalle biggrin.gif
post #1478 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMa View Post

Hey Tom...This brings up a good point.
Are we safe to assume that for the most part the DSP in the amp will prevent us from damaging the sub by pushing it too hard. EG, turning up the gain too much to get more spl.?

Short answer, yes.

Please don't take this as a challenge but it would be *very* difficult to damage any of our products under normal operating conditions. This means typical source material (not steady state test tones) with SOME semblance of proper setup/calibration. And of course I'm also assuming the listening environment isn't ridiculously over sized for the product. For example, you can have a single XV15 calibrated.....but if its in a 25,000 cu-ft area 10 meters from the seat. It may just throw up the white flag before long.

Also, the DSP front end on the amplifier serves many purposes during the engineering process. It's more accurate to think of the entire system "synergy" preventing damage. Get the driver or enclosure/ enclosure tuning, a little "wrong" and no amount of signal processing upstream will save you when the going gets tough..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #1479 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Short answer, yes.

Please don't take this as a challenge but it would be *very* difficult to damage any of our products under normal operating conditions. This means typical source material (not steady state test tones) with SOME semblance of proper setup/calibration. And of course I'm also assuming the listening environment isn't ridiculously over sized for the product. For example, you can have a single XV15 calibrated.....but if its in a 25,000 cu-ft area 10 meters from the seat. It may just throw up the white flag before long.

Also, the DSP front end on the amplifier serves many purposes during the engineering process. It's more accurate to think of the entire system "synergy" preventing damage. Get the driver or enclosure/ enclosure tuning, a little "wrong" and no amount of signal processing upstream will save you when the going gets tough..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Point taken.
I wont put it in the BIG room...LOL
post #1480 of 10047
This thread has been kind of quiet lately. Everyone enjoying their subs?
post #1481 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

This thread has been kind of quiet lately. Everyone enjoying their subs?

I wish I had time the last two weeks. Hopefully I will this weekend. The wife wants to watch "Rock of Ages" tonight, so maybe tomorrow ill get a chance to give them a workout. Sunday is out, unless the Super Bowl has some crazy bass
post #1482 of 10047
My wife just yelled at me to turn it down lol.....from downstairs in the kitchen. Saying "I think I saw some bricks fall off the house today" exaggerating but still funny.
post #1483 of 10047
I'm enjoying my XS30, trying some Movies (Blu's / DVD"S) and Musics, sound is fantastic.smile.gif
NO problems or complaints.biggrin.gif
post #1484 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

This thread has been kind of quiet lately. Everyone enjoying their subs?
You never gave us any update on your XV30? Thoughts?
post #1485 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

You never gave us any update on your XV30? Thoughts?

I'm gonna write a full review probably tomorrow when I get on my computer. I'm usually posting on here with my phone. But I'll give you my first impression.....this thing scares the s**t out of me!
post #1486 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

This thread has been kind of quiet lately. Everyone enjoying their subs?

I wish I had time the last two weeks. Hopefully I will this weekend. The wife wants to watch "Rock of Ages" tonight, so maybe tomorrow ill get a chance to give them a workout. Sunday is out, unless the Super Bowl has some crazy bass

going to be bone crunching base... when lewis nails the quarter back ... LOL lets go lewis....
post #1487 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

going to be bone crunching base... when lewis nails the quarter back ... LOL lets go lewis....

.........eek.gif

Boo, hoo, hoo. 34 to 31. frown.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 2/4/13 at 5:37am
post #1488 of 10047
Going between 2-channel stereo, and "Pure Direct" (No subwoofer) on my Yamaha. Its incredible what these subwoofers add to the mix. They bring an atmosphere to Tom Waits that i only ever got from headphones. Happy owner.
post #1489 of 10047
Can any XS-30 owners give me your impressions on this sub?
im considering buying one within the next few weeks.
i just sold my 2 rw-12d's klipsch subs and im still researching
other brands but leaning towards PSA
post #1490 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister View Post

Going between 2-channel stereo, and "Pure Direct" (No subwoofer) on my Yamaha. Its incredible what these subwoofers add to the mix. They bring an atmosphere to Tom Waits that i only ever got from headphones. Happy owner.

To preserve the intimate nature of Tom Waits, in my opinion, one needs headphones. Just saying, short of live, I don't think "any" Home Theater/Music system will do Tom's recordings justice.

(Signed: another Tom Waits fan) "Summertime/Burma Shave" (Live From Austin, 1978)

I live near this route; Yuba City, Live Oak, Gridley and Chico. Yuba City grew up. Marysville tries, Live Oak and Gridley have tried to grow and continue to hang by the side of the road on a Walnut grove tree branch with 99 going up the middle and without Chico State, Chico would be the same, hanging by a rice hull husk. And North of Chico, into the dark, the road rolls onto more of the same.......Los Molinos. cool.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 2/4/13 at 6:09am
post #1491 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmmer32261 View Post

Can any XS-30 owners give me your impressions on this sub?
im considering buying one within the next few weeks.
i just sold my 2 rw-12d's klipsch subs and im still researching
other brands but leaning towards PSA
Hammer, to be more helpful to you, is there anything specifically you would like to know? We could all tell you we love our XS30's but if you have any specifics just as your listening habits, what you want to get out of the sub we can probably be more of assistance. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a hold of member SmokenAshes, he returned the XS30 and went with the XV30. Might get his take on it as well. I upgraded from the JBL sub 12, to the XV-15, to the XS30. Very happy with the upgrades! You are coming from duals...are you going to continue with duals? I know a lot of the members with duals have been more than happy!
post #1492 of 10047
walke.

goingf from the xv15 to the xs30...did you notice a big difference in performance?
post #1493 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

Hammer, to be more helpful to you, is there anything specifically you would like to know? We could all tell you we love our XS30's but if you have any specifics just as your listening habits, what you want to get out of the sub we can probably be more of assistance. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a hold of member SmokenAshes, he returned the XS30 and went with the XV30. Might get his take on it as well. I upgraded from the JBL sub 12, to the XV-15, to the XS30. Very happy with the upgrades! You are coming from duals...are you going to continue with duals? I know a lot of the members with duals have been more than happy!

the subs will be used for music and movies equally
the subs i sold just didnt have the deep clean bass i was looking for
and yes im going to go with duals
I also read a nice review on the XS-30 http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/64133-power-sound-audio-xs30-first-impressions.html#axzz2JxsUt6me


I wish some of the PSA owners would post some videos on youtube, there's nothing
Edited by HAmmer32261 - 2/4/13 at 12:46pm
post #1494 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

walke.

goingf from the xv15 to the xs30...did you notice a big difference in performance?
Brian, i purchased the XS30 more to future proof as its in a fairly small room right now. I definitely notice a difference, however, I had my XV-15 in a bad spot as my listening position was in a null. I moved my XS30 right next to the couch and it is earth shattering. Had the XS30 not come out within 30 days of the purchase of my XV15, I still would have been completely satisfied with the XV15. I think the XS30 is a little more discrete because its an inch shorter. The lows are about the same but there is definitely a kick to the mid bass and that was my reasoning for purchasing. I figured most of the lfe content is in the mid bass range so why not go for the XS30.
post #1495 of 10047
Thanks! I was just curious. I am in love with my xv15. My next upgrade will be a second one smile.gif
post #1496 of 10047
Would you say the XS30 has more mid-bass slam than 2 XS15s? I know you have no way to compare, but I'm curious as I'm thinking of adding an XS30 to my 2 XS15s. cool.gif
post #1497 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Would you say the XS30 has more mid-bass slam than 2 XS15s? I know you have no way to compare, but I'm curious as I'm thinking of adding an XS30 to my 2 XS15s. cool.gif

.................eek.gif
post #1498 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

.................eek.gif

I did say I was thinking about it...not seriously.........not quite yet. biggrin.gif
post #1499 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I did say I was thinking about it...not seriously.........not quite yet. biggrin.gif

Personally, I believe an opposed, dual, 15" driver based XS30 would be a perfectly delightful add to your system.

...............biggrin.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 2/4/13 at 2:05pm
post #1500 of 10047
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmmer32261 View Post


I wish some of the PSA owners would post some videos on youtube, there's nothing

What specifically were you looking for in the video? Just an overall overview or you want to see things shaking and rattling...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread