or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 77

post #2281 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavid21 View Post

I need help choosing between the PSA XS30/XV30 and the Rythmik FV15hp. Im torn between the ported and sealed , I want low extension and power, but no port noise of any kind at any volume. Is it true that the PSA's will not go as low as the Rythmik? and for all the owners out there have you ever heard port noise with the ported PSA subs? I use my system primarily for home theater. I like to push my system and need a sub that can dish out clean, powerful, deep bass.

Thanks!
David
I would opt for the XV-30, the Rythmik might go lower, but to achive that you need to plug one of the ports, now your left with one 3" port, so now your askin one 3" port do do to much, so you might get port chuffing at high volumes. The XV-30 has one 6" port flared, so you shouldnt get that thing to chuff.
post #2282 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

I believe JoshJP came from Epik Empires to a XS30. Maybe try hitting him up. Are you going to go with duals? If you are looking for a huge difference over the epiks, I would definitely recommend the XV30s.

It is JoshJp who had the Epik and went to Xs30 but i believe now he is getting the xv30 instead i know he was looking for more output so i think thats why he is switching.
post #2283 of 9927
YEP ITS ME:eek:
post #2284 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

YEP ITS ME:eek:

When is it due to arrive
post #2285 of 9927
i almost wonder if i should have went with 1 xv30 for now then ordered another when i had funds
post #2286 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

It is JoshJp who had the Epik and went to Xs30 but i believe now he is getting the xv30 instead i know he was looking for more output so i think thats why he is switching.

depends where your looking for the output. the xv30 has more in the 20-31hz range, the xs30 has more from 40hz on up and below 16hz.
post #2287 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

depends where your looking for the output. the xv30 has more in the 20-31hz range, the xs30 has more from 40hz on up and below 16hz.

My delema is my floor plan is open as i am in a condo so the living room is open to the kitchen, washroom, a 1/2 bath and hallway that leads to garage and also including the stairway upstairs. I would say just under 6000ft^3. I am renting at the moment, so i know when i get into another place it will probably be smaller than that and i would be fine with the xv-15s.
post #2288 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

My delema is my floor plan is open as i am in a condo so the living room is open to the kitchen, washroom, a 1/2 bath and hallway that leads to garage and also including the stairway upstairs. I would say just under 6000ft^3. I am renting at the moment, so i know when i get into another place it will probably be smaller than that and i would be fine with the xv-15s.

Im pressurizing a 2400^3 room that has a 6ft opening into another 1800^3 room, that has a hallway into another 2000^3 room, thats opens to a kitchen and dining room area no problem using 2 xv15's. I would go with 3 xv15's for your setup, which will give you slightly more output than 2 xv30's and cost less.
Edited by basshead81 - 4/20/13 at 7:35pm
post #2289 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Never heard port noise with my xv15. I listen to movies at -5db in a 13x17x8 room
The XV-15 playes fine that loud?, i was watching Transformers 1, at -10, and everything was good untill the slow motion transformer barrol roll scene, and the XS-30 was just at its max output, i love that scene BTW.
post #2290 of 9927
we have almost the same size room, mine is 15x13x8
post #2291 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

The XV-15 playes fine that loud?, i was watching Transformers 1, at -10, and everything was good untill the slow motion transformer barrol roll scene, and the XS-30 was just at its max output, i love that scene BTW.


both mine do...i have had them +4 with no port noise or distortion. amp gain at 2:00, 0 gain on the avr...bass music tho not a movie.
post #2292 of 9927
wow that must be loud, what about movies?
post #2293 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

wow that must be loud, what about movies?

thats alot louder than i care to listen...also to be fair i believe some of the bass songs on pandora are recorded lower than some of the newer music such as deadmau5 or skrillex. so realistically its probably more like 0 - -2 range. i have not went any louder than -20 for movies yet. to be honest i have never watched a blue ray lol.
post #2294 of 9927
Never watched a blu-ray? i feel sorry for you, LOL, i listend to mostly Rap, but never any streaming content, i rip the real cd to my computer.
post #2295 of 9927
The only time I've heard any port noise from my XV-15 was when it was pushed to or near its limits and i was standing within 2 feet of the sub, the slight huffing was inaudible from the seating position.

I would assume all volume levels are at least slightly relevant to the speaker and amp combo, but in a recent bluray test of battleship my single xv15 was able to play through the full movie from -15 to -8 with no audible huffing and no audible distortion 2 oclock on the sub +5 on the receiver. This was in a 22x12x8 basement (solid walls) and with two large openings to another 1000 SQ feet of space.
post #2296 of 9927
I've finally ordered an XS30! So pumped to be joining the PSA family!

Now the waiting . . .
post #2297 of 9927
^^Have you tried the computer scene in the movie Pulse? This scene is famous on making port noise.
post #2298 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^Have you tried the computer scene in the movie Pulse? This scene is famous on making port noise.
No I have never seen it. Maybe I should put it in the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

The XV-15 playes fine that loud?, i was watching Transformers 1, at -10, and everything was good untill the slow motion transformer barrol roll scene, and the XS-30 was just at its max output, i love that scene BTW.

Nope never. I have all the five star movies and even the most demanding never made a bad sound

I can't comment in the scene you mentioned because I actually don't have it on bluray.

I'm watching httyd right now. And it's nothing but joy.

I also would like to recommend an antimode. It has made this beast even better (didn't think it was possible!!)
post #2299 of 9927
tboe77,

Awesome.....XS30 is an superb sub.
Welcome to the PSA family!.....enjoy smile.gif

vardo
post #2300 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I've finally ordered an XS30! So pumped to be joining the PSA family!

Now the waiting . . .


Congratulations tboe77, it's an outstanding sub and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. smile.gif
post #2301 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

No I have never seen it. Maybe I should put it in the list
Nope never. I have all the five star movies and even the most demanding never made a bad sound

I can't comment in the scene you mentioned because I actually don't have it on bluray.

I'm watching httyd right now. And it's nothing but joy.

I also would like to recommend an antimode. It has made this beast even better (didn't think it was possible!!)
i wish i would have kept the AntiMode:mad:, but im glad your enjoying it:D.
post #2302 of 9927
Haha thanks

But why do you say that? Is xt 32 not as good?
post #2303 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Haha thanks

But why do you say that? Is xt 32 not as good?

from my research xt32 needs the option sub eq ht to be truly effective and those 2 combined options only come with AVR's that are 1200.00+. so yea a anti mode or mini dsp is a much more affordable option for most.
post #2304 of 9927
Well for me its horrible, every time i run it its allways the same,it boosts the highs, and messes with the lows.
post #2305 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Well for me its horrible, every time i run it its allways the same,it boosts the highs, and messes with the lows.

You should visit the Audyssey thread and read the FAQ. Perhaps there is some little detail that is throwing off your calibration.
post #2306 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

i wish i would have kept the AntiMode:mad:, but im glad your enjoying it:D.

As an owner and user of an 8033S II, a suggestion, pickup a 2X4 miniDSP with programming module which integrates with REW and give that a try. Costs a bunch less than Anti-Mode and for less than two hundred bucks, should give you a solid two to eight weeks of entertainment. And when one thinks about what it costs one to entertain themselves on a Fri/Sat night......two hundred bucks is cheap entertainment.
post #2307 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

As an owner and user of an 8033S II, a suggestion, pickup a 2X4 miniDSP with programming module which integrates with REW and give that a try. Costs a bunch less than Anti-Mode and for less than two hundred bucks, should give you a solid two to eight weeks of entertainment. And when one thinks about what it costs one to entertain themselves on a Fri/Sat night......two hundred bucks is cheap entertainment.

agreed! depending on how tomorrows measurement session goes, i might be picking up a 2x4 minidsp. smile.gif
post #2308 of 9927
I wouldnt even know how to use it:D (thats what she said)
post #2309 of 9927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

I wouldnt even know how to use it:D (thats what she said)

What she didn't understand, most guys are autodidacts.
post #2310 of 9927
Just a quick update - Been running 1 XV30 for a week and went this last weekend to get a Y adaptor to hook up the 2nd XV30. The XV30s are a bit large, so placement flexibility was somewhat limited for me. I have them midwall away from any corners in a L -> XV30 -> C -> XV30 -> R setup. Nothing like a wall of speakers smile.gif I am going to remove the feet, and set the subs up on their sides to reduce their height as they are too tall for my current projector setup. If you are thinking about doing this, Tom recommends NOT using the ones that are currently on the speakers because they are too long when screwed back in. Room is pretty large and it's on carpet on a concrete slab. I have subs at 2 o'clock gain, was doing 1 sub @ 3 o'clock gain.

So far my impressions have been very positive. Low bass is extreme, I can literally shake the foundation. At first, I wasn't too impressed with the tactile response but in retrospect this is pretty difficult to do since again, it's concrete slab in the middle of the house on carpet. Tom advised that their gain system was not as linear as other manufacturers and not to be afraid to crank the knob so I moved both to about 2:30 and it was night and day. I'd dare say that if I had put these on the 2nd floor (subfloor) it'd be downright scary. I took advantage of a thunderstorm late at night to really crank the system (and have plausible deniability with the neighbors) and even 10-12 feet away, I could feel the impact through the floor. Since the subs are on a wall that borders a stairway, I've managed to induce many, many nail pops and even crack the caulk line where the baseboard connects to the drywall. So be warned unless you love wall repairs smile.gif

What the current setup needs work is, is in the midbass/slam part. I have the Fronts/Center crossed over @ 110 but don't seem to feel that much in this area from a chest thumping perspective. The 2nd XV30 did help with this regards but I may be in a null spot. Have not had the time to do REW/Trinnov setups yet to see what the actual frequency response is. When I actually figure out a room setup, I will revisit this part. Will have to work hard on this since I listen to mostly euro!#%! dance music. It may be that I'm also biased here because I'm coming from a massive car audio system.

If you guys have any thoughts/questions please feel free to write!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread