or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Power Sound Audio Thread - Page 145

post #4321 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I understand. But, what Jim is saying is his two XS 15s are good enough for him, and what Jbrown is saying (I respect Jbrown so please don't take this the wrong way) is that there is a huge difference between the XS 30 and the XS 15.

I disagree- The use of the word 'huge' is inaccurate to describe the difference between an XS 15 and XS 30. That's all.

Let's do the math.

1 XS 15 749.00 - Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 104.DB - Low bass (40-63Hz) 115 DB
1 XS 30 1149.00 - Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 108 DB - Low bass (40-63Hz) 122 DB

That's $400.00 for a max, MAX, 7 DB. Might be worth it. I don't consider it so, but to each their own.

Now add in two of each.

2 XS 15- $1423.00
2 XS 30- $2183.00

A 760$$ dollar difference.

Here's is a direct quote of what Tom said regarding my XV subs.

"Dual XV15s and a single XV30 will have nearly identical extension, output, and overall sound quality. The dual XV15s have the potential to provide smoother bass coverage over a variety of seating positions. "

I can't imagine much of a difference between the XV and XS series.

Further. You can take any subwoofer cabinet with two singles, a cabinet with one single x2, etc.... and cut out one sub. While it is noticeable that you have lost that second woofer output it's not 'that' noticeable.

Start talking about third and fourth woofers and it gets even less noticeable.

My point is to simply point out that cost for DB Jim hit the nail on the head, and I think Jbrown's statement that 'it's a little more then a small difference between the XS15 & XS30' is a bit on the strong side all things considered.

If this was truly the case then you would of went with xv15's instead of xv30's because the difference is less then between the xs15 and xs30. smile.gif

a 3db difference for 600.00 difference even seems more miniscule huh wink.gif
Edited by basshead81 - 7/15/13 at 10:19pm
post #4322 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

If this was truly the case then you would of went with xv15's instead of xv30's because the difference is less then between the xs15 and xs30. smile.gif

LOL... my middle name is overboard. I have OCD, and a problem putting the stop button on. Tom and I discussed dual XV 15s, in fact Tom tried to talk me into them before he knew my budget.

Honestly my goal was two subs for FR. I had a budget and it allowed for overboard. smile.gif I would post the email conversation but.... I'm not sure if that's appropriate.

In hindsight, you of all people know my placement struggles, I would have gone with 2 XV 15's or possibly three possibly anticipating a 4th not for output but for FR.
post #4323 of 9921
I know I am just razzin ya tongue.gif
post #4324 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

So if DB is what the human ear is hearing, and to 'double' that, it takes a second sub, I believe what Jim is saying is the cost vs. reward is just not worth it.

I've had several instances where going from two woofers to one was not ideal. I've also had instances where going from three or four subs to two was worth the reduction in space, $$, amp power needed, etc....

Which is a fair agreement to make, but what I consider value might be totally different from what you consider value. For Jim dual XS15's were,the best bang for buck and a great value to him. For me I was considering a single SubMersive HP and for less then the cost of one I could have two XS30's with more output then a single SubM HP. So to me that was a no brainer and a great value.

Now there might be someone considering a Paradigm Signature Sub 2 and then realizes "yeah for less money I can get two Triax's"

Really in the end people just have to figure out what they are willing to spend and buy the best they can within their budget IMO. And I certainly wasn't trying to suggest Jim's XS15's were lesser subs compared to what I have, because that was all he was comfortable with getting so I say good for him. I'm glad in loves his XS15's, but at the same time I think that the dual XS30's are worth the extra money.
post #4325 of 9921
Mobile right now. Skimmed a lot. I too, beleive that dual 30s are worth it. But...... I do get, and support, what jim is saying.

Thats all.
post #4326 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post




Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

How do you figure 10db is twice as loud? If you take two identical subs and stack them or place them side by side you only gain 6db additional output, separate them by placing one in each front corner of your room and you only gain 3.5-4db extra output from having two subs.

One other point, when I was discussing with Tom about maybe going with four XS30's; having two stacked in each from corner of my theater room, those four XS30's would only have about 10db extra output over a single XS30.

Google of course!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_three_dB_difference_in_sound_twice_as_loud
post #4327 of 9921
My one week old XV15-base quit working this evening. I used it twice last week and today I found it to be dead. Swapped with my old mirage sub to verify that everything else is working fine. No issue with receiver or any thing else. The light on the back does not light on when it is switched on. Any idea what can be wrong? I have sent an email to Tom explaining this. Haven't heard from him yet. Is it a major issue or minor?

Used approx. for 1-1/2 hrs total at very low levels.

Thanks for any advice
post #4328 of 9921
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

My one week old XV15-base quit working this evening. I used it twice last week and today I found it to be dead. Swapped with my old mirage sub to verify that everything else is working fine. No issue with receiver or any thing else. The light on the back does not light on when it is switched on. Any idea what can be wrong? I have sent an email to Tom explaining this. Haven't heard from him yet. Is it a major issue or minor?

Thanks for any advice

Tom will be able to give better advice. You have nothing to worry about I'm sure Tom will take care of you.

It might be the amp failed or even as simple as a fuse. Keep us updated.
post #4329 of 9921
Thanks. Do I have to ship this monster back or there can be easy fix?
post #4330 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Thanks. Do I have to ship this monster back or there can be easy fix?

If its just the amp Tom would probably just send you a replacement amp. It's pretty easy to swap it out yourself.
post #4331 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Thanks. Do I have to ship this monster back or there can be easy fix?

Its a easy fix...eight screws and 2 leads to the driver.
post #4332 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Its a easy fix...eight screws and 2 leads to the driver.

That's good. It would relieve me of some worries. I am terrible at soldering. I hope it does not involve that.
post #4333 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

That's good. It would relieve me of some worries. I am terrible at soldering. I hope it does not involve that.

nope no soldering, its plug and play.
post #4334 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

nope no soldering, its plug and play.

Seems like the amp has 25 screws altogether. Still not bad compared to shipping this back to Tom. Thanks for your help. Feel a bit relieved now. Waiting anxiously for Tom to reply my email.
post #4335 of 9921
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Seems like the amp has 25 screws altogether. Still not bad compared to shipping this back to Tom. Thanks for your help. Feel a bit relieved now. Waiting anxiously for Tom to reply my email.

If it is the amp you won't have to remove all the screws just the ones at the edge. The inner screws hold the separate amps components and don't need to be removed to replace an amp.
post #4336 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Seems like the amp has 25 screws altogether. Still not bad compared to shipping this back to Tom. Thanks for your help. Feel a bit relieved now. Waiting anxiously for Tom to reply my email.

I wouldn't sweat it, I'm sure Tom will take care of it.
post #4337 of 9921
I've been lurking here for a while and finally ordered a pair of XV-15s for my new home. They will go in a 5000^3 room. I also have an SVS PC-NSD that I used in my former apartment.. I will probably use it near field.
Any thoughts on the best way to use Audyssey Multi EQ with 3 subs? I will probably use REW once I get settled into the new house. I will have NHT Classic 3's for LR and the Classic 3 CC for the center and Classic 2's for surrounds.
post #4338 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

One other point, when I was discussing with Tom about maybe going with four XS30's; having two stacked in each from corner of my theater room, those four XS30's would only have about 10db extra output over a single XS30.

Hi jbrown15, XS30 are 100+ pounder is it a good idea to stack them? Will the enclosure hold another sub on top of it?
post #4339 of 9921
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post

Hi jbrown15, XS30 are 100+ pounder is it a good idea to stack them? Will the enclosure hold another sub on top of it?

I'm pretty sure there is no problems. I've seen people stack the SVS PB Ultra 13 which is 155 pounds. I probably wouldn't do it with a veneer but other wise it should be fine.
post #4340 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post

Hi jbrown15, XS30 are 100+ pounder is it a good idea to stack them? Will the enclosure hold another sub on top of it?

Lol are you being serious when you ask this?
post #4341 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post

Hi jbrown15, XS30 are 100+ pounder is it a good idea to stack them? Will the enclosure hold another sub on top of it?

These enclosures are stout. I damn near decided to put all of my equipment on them. Not that equipment is heavy, the point is the cabinets are so inert that little vibration makes it through. I myself am a stout 210 pounder and I jump up and down on them all the time (I'm in the construction phase and they make good stools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I've been lurking here for a while and finally ordered a pair of XV-15s for my new home. They will go in a 5000^3 room. I also have an SVS PC-NSD that I used in my former apartment.. I will probably use it near field.
Any thoughts on the best way to use Audyssey Multi EQ with 3 subs? I will probably use REW once I get settled into the new house. I will have NHT Classic 3's for LR and the Classic 3 CC for the center and Classic 2's for surrounds.

Congrats on your new subs! Sorry, I have not a clue on your other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

My one week old XV15-base quit working this evening. I used it twice last week and today I found it to be dead. Swapped with my old mirage sub to verify that everything else is working fine. No issue with receiver or any thing else. The light on the back does not light on when it is switched on. Any idea what can be wrong? I have sent an email to Tom explaining this. Haven't heard from him yet. Is it a major issue or minor?

Used approx. for 1-1/2 hrs total at very low levels.

Thanks for any advice

Sorry to hear of your sitchuation. As others have said worst case it's the amp and even better yet it's something simple. Why don't you pop the amp off (unplug it first!) and see if anything is obvious? A disconnected wire? Unscrew the woofer and see if the wires are connected as they should be. Might be something that simple.

About a year ago I bought I home theater in a box type setup for my home gym. Got it off Craig's list. Tested it out and all worked great. Got it home and the sub didn't work. Turned out the wire on the subs positive connection had slid off. It happens all the time.

In any event I hope it's sooner than later for you that you get it working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Which is a fair agreement to make, but what I consider value might be totally different from what you consider value. For Jim dual XS15's were,the best bang for buck and a great value to him. For me I was considering a single SubMersive HP and for less then the cost of one I could have two XS30's with more output then a single SubM HP. So to me that was a no brainer and a great value.

Now there might be someone considering a Paradigm Signature Sub 2 and then realizes "yeah for less money I can get two Triax's"

Really in the end people just have to figure out what they are willing to spend and buy the best they can within their budget IMO. And I certainly wasn't trying to suggest Jim's XS15's were lesser subs compared to what I have, because that was all he was comfortable with getting so I say good for him. I'm glad in loves his XS15's, but at the same time I think that the dual XS30's are worth the extra money.

YOU DIRT BAG! LOL... smile.gif I'm sorry if I implied anything like that. I did not get that impression from you one bit.
post #4342 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I wouldn't sweat it, I'm sure Tom will take care of it.[/quote

I received the response from Tom. As per his instruction, I pulled the fuse and it is blown . I could not get the specs out of the blown fuse clearly. Does anyone knows what spec fuse is this? I have a similar fuse available with 120v 10 amp. Can I use this or at least check whether this was the issue or any thing is damaged.

Thanks
post #4343 of 9921
You really should ask Tom what the correct fuse is. If that fuse blew for a reason and you put a fuse with too high of a rating in you could be in trouble. Too low of a rating will just blow anyways.

What does the fuse look like?

I have the xv 30s otherwise I'd go tell you what fuse to put in.
post #4344 of 9921
no only replace with the exact same fuse!
post #4345 of 9921
Its the fast acting fuse. I believe the size is 5 x 20mm. What I read on it is T6.3AL250VP. So is it 250 volt fuse and is 6.3 Amp?
post #4346 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Its the fast acting fuse. I believe the size is 5 x 20mm. What I read on it is T6.3AL250VP. So is it 250 volt fuse and is 6.3 Amp?

yep
post #4347 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

yep

Thanks. Got it. Have to order online at RadioShack as it is not available in store.
post #4348 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Thanks. Got it. Have to order online at RadioShack as it is not available in store.

i bet the local hardware or home builder store(lowes,menards, home depot) has it if ya do not want to wait.
post #4349 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Thanks. Got it. Have to order online at RadioShack as it is not available in store.

Tom just emailed me that it is Slow Blown fuse, 6.3A 250V. Available locally at my RadioShack store.
post #4350 of 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad View Post

Tom just emailed me that it is Slow Blown fuse, 6.3A 250V. Available locally at my RadioShack store.

oh yea most fuses are slo blo on amps...did you mention fast blo? If so I missed it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Power Sound Audio Thread