or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Buffalo, NY - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buffalo, NY - HDTV - Page 225

post #6721 of 7283
Quote:


Are there typical times of year where OTA signals don't travel as far? Is it solar activity? Weather? Or it that just life in the OTA world - some days its good and some days its not so good?

Yep, that's about it. Don't forget, spring has sprung and vegetation is out.
Quote:


I Don't know the antenna make/model because it was here when we moved it; but it is VHF/UHF.

Take a pic of the antenna.
Assuming it is ok, I would first replace the balun & feedline. Who knows how long it was up there.
post #6722 of 7283
Here's a picture of it. Not a real close up but from teh ground "looks" like the balun is well sealed, but of course I can't tell from the ground
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...B88A432C4A!105
post #6723 of 7283
Looks like the antenna is ok, but low band isn't needed anymore. There are only three high band stations locally and one is suppose to go back to UHF.

Anyway, I would still replace the feedline (probably RG59) with RG6 and the balun. Baluns are notorious for causing problems. They are cheap. beside, that antenna isn't up high at all, easy to get at.
post #6724 of 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Looks like the antenna is ok, but low band isn't needed anymore. There are only three high band stations locally and one is suppose to go back to UHF.

Anyway, I would still replace the feedline (probably RG59) with RG6 and the balun. Baluns are notorious for causing problems. They are cheap. beside, that antenna isn't up high at all, easy to get at.

Feedline is labled RG-6 (at least that's what's printed on it), but yeah balun could have water in it. I do have a CM 4224 (older design) that I want to get up there and installed but we're probably moving soon anyways so I can live with it for now. Thanks for the advice
post #6725 of 7283
Ok on the feedline, but replace the fitting & balun. When/where are you moving to?
4224 single panel 4228? If so, good as gold.
post #6726 of 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok on the feedline, but replace the fitting & balun. When/where are you moving to?
4224 single panel 4228? If so, good as gold.

Yep single panel 4228 one of the "older" designs, Looks like the current 4221, but the reflector is a true grid and not just some "rectangles" . Move time and location to be determined but before the end of the summer.
post #6727 of 7283
Ok, got the numbers mixed up, I was thinking of the 4221.
Actually any original CM antenna if far better than this Chinese crap they have their name on now.
post #6728 of 7283
I did some compiling of the amount of time local stations provide their PSIP program data for those who do not have a Rovi?TVGOS supplied program Guide or subscribe to a on line supplier (TiVo for example).

Amazing the variance in the amount of time these stations. From nothing at all to a whopping eight full days.

CHCH - none
CBLFT - none
CIII - none (only shows "DTV program")
WBBZ - none (only shows "DTV program")
CFTO - 9 hours
WPXJ - 9 hours
CITY - 9 hours
CFMT - 9 hours
WGRZ - 9 hours (same for their sub channel)
CJMT - 12 hours
WNED - 21 hours (same for their sub channel)
WNYO - 24 hours
WIVB - 27 hours
WNYO - 32 hours
WUTV - 33 hours
CICA - 4 days
CBLT - 8 days

These counts were verified a 2nd time a hour later between 7 and 8 am this morning. It is possible that these figures could vary according to the time of day, or even the day of the week, since it up purely up to the station and whomever is inputting the data to determine how long the schedule goes out.

Until I actually scrolled through CBLT's list I had no idea it could even go out that far. They, unfortunately are the exception. To show that this data isn't necessary correct, look at the 2nd attachment of CICA and the screwy times. Then look at WNYO's sub channel which doesn't need any listings (music videos). The generic "DTV program" is shown for every 6 hours.
LL
LL
LL
post #6729 of 7283
How many hours of PSIP guide information are necessary for the US stations to be "compliant" with FCC?
post #6730 of 7283
12.

- Trip
post #6731 of 7283
Useless. But, what would one expect from the FCC? Should be a entire week. Period.
Three fail right off the bat.
post #6732 of 7283
How can i find out what devices have TVGOS?
post #6733 of 7283
Very few if any have it anymore.
Check the TVGOS threads in RPTV's, Technical or in HD Recorders.
post #6734 of 7283
Well I managed to get CITY for a little while earlier in the week. Now the neighbor's tree is starting to leaf and the antenna has to point right through it and now no CITY any more.
post #6735 of 7283
There were two or three early mornings a few days ago where reception was up. It usually dies around mid morning. On the reverse side, the other day was the opposite. Loss of usually consistent stations; CFTO, CIII & CHCH.
post #6736 of 7283
A few points here:

- I see real data on CIII for a several weeks now. It was "DTV program" for months (or even years?) but it's all good now
- pretty sure CBLT gives you 168 hours worth (7 days * 24 hours)
- the data comes in 3 hour blocks called "EIT"s (event information table) each of which also has an associated "ETT" (extended text table)
- the FCC mandates at least 4 EITs are used. The CRTC in Canada has no requirement although most systems Canadian broadcasters use are FCC-compliant systems
- the EIT blocks are on the UTC clock and run from midnight to 3am, 3am to 6am, etc.
- the Eastern time zone is 4 hours behind UTC when we are daylight saving time, 5 hours behind on standard time. So at this time of the year, the blocks run from 8pm to 11pm, 11pm to 2am, 2 am to 5am, etc. In the winter, they run from 7pm to 10pm, 10pm to 1am, 1am to 4am, etc.
- as time progress through a block, the amount of data the viewer sees appears to shorten, then appears to jump back up when it cross into the next time block.
- a program that starts in the last block that runs past the end time of the last block will appear in its entirety, giving the viewer more than the usual amount of data (example: a show that runs 9pm to midnight would seem like a station has extended it's data but it's just temporary)
- main channels and subchannels always have the same number of EITs but because of the last program in the last block extending past the end time, it can appear to be different amounts of data sometimes
- if you are running TSReader on your computer, it will tell you exactly what the station is sending. Generally speaking, the broadcasters keep the number of EITs they use constant.




Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I did some compiling of the amount of time local stations provide their PSIP program data for those who do not have a Rovi?TVGOS supplied program Guide or subscribe to a on line supplier (TiVo for example).

Amazing the variance in the amount of time these stations. From nothing at all to a whopping eight full days.

CHCH - none
CBLFT - none
CIII - none (only shows "DTV program")
WBBZ - none (only shows "DTV program")
CFTO - 9 hours
WPXJ - 9 hours
CITY - 9 hours
CFMT - 9 hours
WGRZ - 9 hours (same for their sub channel)
CJMT - 12 hours
WNED - 21 hours (same for their sub channel)
WNYO - 24 hours
WIVB - 27 hours
WNYO - 32 hours
WUTV - 33 hours
CICA - 4 days
CBLT - 8 days

These counts were verified a 2nd time a hour later between 7 and 8 am this morning. It is possible that these figures could vary according to the time of day, or even the day of the week, since it up purely up to the station and whomever is inputting the data to determine how long the schedule goes out.

Until I actually scrolled through CBLT's list I had no idea it could even go out that far. They, unfortunately are the exception. To show that this data isn't necessary correct, look at the 2nd attachment of CICA and the screwy times. Then look at WNYO's sub channel which doesn't need any listings (music videos). The generic "DTV program" is shown for every 6 hours.
post #6737 of 7283
el gran chico; Thanks for the good post.
I realize it depends on the time of day and even the specific hour the 'sample' is taken. As I did dtate, that example was only from the time period and the probality that it would/will be different at another time was there.
I can now say after casually looking at other 'samples' (for lack of a better term) those figures I provided are not typical, namely for CBLT.

Part of the problem may be the receiver I'm using as it does have some 'bugs' in the firmware that I'm waiting for a update for. I will post back when it gets updated.

That "DTV program", I assume it is some type of default entry when no other text is entered?
post #6738 of 7283
Quote:


the FCC mandates at least 4 EITs are used.

Which means at least 12 hours of programming should be available, correct depending on exactly when in that 3 hour period you view the data?
Or should I say between 9 and 15 hours of data?
post #6739 of 7283
Has anybody had any pixellation problems with CBLT lately? The signal is fine, the sound is great, but everyone couple of second the picture pixellates on my Vizio TV down in my living room. I don't have this problem with my Dynex TV upstairs or my 750Q tuner into my laptop. I was looking on another Canadian OTA site, and it sounds like CBLT changed something in their transmission that's affecting certain tuners but not others. I was just wondering if anyone else in the Buffalo area noticed this problem. It got so irritating, I ran my coax into my 750Q tuner on my laptop and projected it onto my Vizio TV using an HDMI cable during the hockey game last night.
post #6740 of 7283
Apparently it was first reported on May 23rd. 99% of my viewing is timeshifted and I haven't recorded anything off of CBLT for some time that I remember.
It appears to be tuner dependent.

I just did a check on four tuners. The first three, no issues including a seven year old tuner (my oldest). But after remembering I had a 10" portable 16x9 SD TV, I tried that.
Ouch! What a mess. Every 1.5 seconds there is a a video loss of data, duplicating a 'hickup' like effect where the image will freeze/pixelate (if that is the correct term) for .5 seconds and continue. No effect on the audio.

There is no way anyone could ever try to watch this. At first I thought it might of been something else, so I re-checked the 1st (newest) I tried. No issue there. This was with the exact same feed.
post #6741 of 7283
That's the rub for me. The one tuner that has the issue is probably my newest (The Hauppauge 750Q tuner is technically newer but it's an older model). My Dynex TV is about 5 years old, and doesn't have a problem.
post #6742 of 7283
Is it every 10 seconds or more often? It's really bad with the 10" Haier.
post #6743 of 7283
You know, it depends on the type of picture. If it's really fast paced movement, it tends to happen more often. Although, the real funny part is when I watch a hockey game, it does okay live, some pixelation but not too bad. On replays, though, it gets worse. A couple of weeks ago, during a late-night movie it was all pixellation all the time.
post #6744 of 7283
What happened to the avsforum android app. It seems to have disappered and no longer works? Also, is anyone else getting cbc at a lower singal strength? CBC used to blast in at 95-100% . Last night it was 50% and now it is a bit better at 80%. Same siutaion on 19-1 and global.
post #6745 of 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCCO View Post

What happened to the avsforum android app. It seems to have disappered and no longer works? .

Just looked....couldn't find it either!!??
post #6746 of 7283
As was mentioned prior to the move from VB to the new bulletin board software, the smartphone apps will no longer function with the new site. They can be removed from your phone and/or tablet. However I guess the Tapatalk app will still work with some limited functionality, but I have never used Tapatalk before, so I can’t comment. If you look at the Forum Operation Center there's a bunch of info about it. I guess a brand new mobile site is in the works in lieu of a replacement app.
post #6747 of 7283
http://stilltalkintv.com/2012/06/big-bucks-help-wbbz-land-bills-game/

The first major upset of the Buffalo Bills 2012 season quietly occurred last week.

That’s when the National Football League team announced that the local rights to the Bills’ prime time home game with the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 15 on the NFL Network will be simulcast by independent station WBBZ.

WBBZ was a huge underdog for the game being carried nationally on The NFL Network. Insiders had Channel 7, the official station of the Bills, as the favorite.

But money talks. And WBBZ Owner Phil Arno emptied his pocketbook to land the game, which will have extra promotional value for the station. According to sources, WBBZ paid more than $100,000 to the NFL Network to land a game that has extra value here because The NFL Network isn’t available in about half the homes in the area because Time Warner Cable doesn’t carry it.
post #6748 of 7283
Is WBBZ carried on Time Warner ch.5 in West Seneca?? All our TV sets skip from ch.4 to ch.6 and none can get ch.5. Is that because years ago Adelphia carried HBO on ch.5 and there's still one or more ch.5 traps in Time Warner's aerial plant? Any advice on how to get that fixed?? A couple newer sets can get WBBZ on something like ch.68.1 , but not the older sets.
post #6749 of 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

Is WBBZ carried on Time Warner ch.5 in West Seneca?? All our TV sets skip from ch.4 to ch.6 and none can get ch.5. Is that because years ago Adelphia carried HBO on ch.5 and there's still one or more ch.5 traps in Time Warner's aerial plant? Any advice on how to get that fixed?? A couple newer sets can get WBBZ on something like ch.68.1 , but not the older sets.

I looked at your TW channel lineup online & it says you should be able to get WBBZ on Ch.5. I would try a channel scan on all your tv's & see if it finds channel 5. If channel 5 is still no signal without a box i would call Time Warner. The reason why some of your tv's get WBBZ on ch. 68.1 is because those tv's have a clear qam so it can find any digital channel that's not encrypted.
post #6750 of 7283
Too bad WBBZ did not spend some money for higher broadcast tower.Their current 66 metre tower does not provide much signal to Canada.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Buffalo, NY - HDTV