or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel RSP-1572 Up and Running
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rotel RSP-1572 Up and Running - Page 6

post #151 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Did that work?

Either no or I'm not doing it right. I have defaults set for all my inputs. But I am not really sure what else to do.

Can you describe exactly what process you go through to make this happen?
post #152 of 196
Quote:


So are you suggesting that we all forget about any digital processing in the 1572 and use the analogue outs for all our equipment? That's not really an acceptable solution.

Also, this is NOT a handshake issue. It happens with the USB input. It happens with an optical cable. When the 1572 makes sound it is quite fantastic. But if I lose the first second of every track of an album I am playing off my iPhone then what's the point? They need to fix this and they need to make it a priority. The big features of the unit are the 10-band digital graphic EQ, the extensive DSP, the front USB input. These are the features that distinguished the 1572 from it's predecessor. What's the point if you use only analogue inputs? what's the point if it creates this repeated annoyance with every digital source? All pleasure is dissipated by the repeated annoyance.

No, I am not suggesting the analog inputs. I am suggesting outputting digital PCM via HDMI from a blu-ray player. There is no loss since every format (TrueHD, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) is converted to digital 2-channel or multi-channel PCM in order to apply digital bass mangement, EQ, etc. The only difference is whether it is converted in the player or in the 1572.

My suggsetion is the delay in the 1572 may be due to the 1572 searching for or switching to the correct decoder depending on the format. By inputting only PCM, the delay has vanished (at least in my unit). However, I grant you this may not work if using an optical digitial input (although you can also set your player to output only PCM via optical or coaxial as well).
post #153 of 196
Sounds like iphone incapability. I remember hearing about certain iphones and ipods having similar problems with the ipod connection in some car stereos.

Have you tried using the Bluetooth dongle with your iphone? It acts as a headset and you can stream to it. It would be interesting to see what happens there. If your computer has bluetooth, you can do the same thing, and stream your itunes direct to the Rotel.

I streamed itunes direct to the dongle and had zero muting issues.
post #154 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd327 View Post

By inputting only PCM, the delay has vanished (at least in my unit). However, I grant you this may not work if using an optical digitial input (although you can also set your player to output only PCM via optical or coaxial as well).

This did not work.
post #155 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Sounds like iphone incapability. I remember hearing about certain iphones and ipods having similar problems with the ipod connection in some car stereos.

Have you tried using the Bluetooth dongle with your iphone? It acts as a headset and you can stream to it. It would be interesting to see what happens there. If your computer has bluetooth, you can do the same thing, and stream your itunes direct to the Rotel.

I streamed itunes direct to the dongle and had zero muting issues.

not sure what you are talking about. if it's with regards to my posts, both iPhone 4 and 4s and a recent iPod Touch all behave precisely the same way. Zone 2 plays with no delay but on the main zone there is a delay. When standing in the doorway between the rooms in which these zones play, one can clearly hear Zone 2 making sound before the main zone. This is not a problem with any device other than the Rotel.
post #156 of 196
Lots of traffic about problems with 1572. I have had my share of them too. I had a top end 140W Denon with HDMI, optical, etc. and had NONE of these problems... NONE... Did I mention my Denon had NONE of these problems. And it had a much better user interface/graphics based OSD. I sold it for just over $600when I bought my 1572, what a mistake. At $2K the 1572 is a very expensive pre pro and should be rock solid. Yes, the sound is good but it's a touchy peice of equipment that has not been well thought out. I have been a professional firmware engineer and hi tech executive for over 35 years and I would never allow a product with this many problems to be released; especially at this price point. This is my first and last Rotel product (I had such high hopes). By the way, Rotel support team is great. Unfortunately they are in a lose - lose situation when it comes to the 1572. Sorry for the harsh words... I am just a littled miffed that I got burned for $2K.....
post #157 of 196
....big ouch!!!
post #158 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRA1 View Post

Lots of traffic about problems with 1572. I have had my share of them too. I had a top end 140W Denon with HDMI, optical, etc. and had NONE of these problems... NONE... Did I mention my Denon had NONE of these problems. And it had a much better user interface/graphics based OSD. I sold it for just over $600when I bought my 1572, what a mistake. At $2K the 1572 is a very expensive pre pro and should be rock solid. Yes, the sound is good but it's a touchy peice of equipment that has not been well thought out. I have been a professional firmware engineer and hi tech executive for over 35 years and I would never allow a product with this many problems to be released; especially at this price point. This is my first and last Rotel product (I had such high hopes). By the way, Rotel support team is great. Unfortunately they are in a lose - lose situation when it comes to the 1572. Sorry for the harsh words... I am just a littled miffed that I got burned for $2K.....

Word.
post #159 of 196
I have an Arcam AVR 300-it's great but on its last legs. I want to get separates now. I am thinking of getting Rotel RSP 1572. Is it worth getting the more powerful Rotel amp RMB 1575 instead of RMB 1565 even though my room is not that big. Will bigger amp improve sound quality even playing at lower volumes. Any thought on whether Rotel combo is better than Integra DHC 80.3 and DTA 70.1.

How reliable is Rotel?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
post #160 of 196
Are you aware that Rotel RMB amps are Class D digital amps (like the amp in your car radio and inexpensive AV setups)? But don't get me wrong, Rotel has taken Class D to a new level of respect. I audition the RMB 1575 quite a bit but the sound wasn't what I was looking for. A Class A analog amp will probably sound better, but that is just my subjective opinion.

As for Rotel reliability, that is also subjective. The best way I can describe Rotel products is they are like a wonderfully beautiful, finicky, fun to drive English sports car. You have got to love it to put up with all the issues that come along with it. If you are a purest and like to tinker, go for the Rotel. If you are coming from the world of a sophisticated AVR you will likely be disappointed in Rotel products.
post #161 of 196
I've had two Rotel amps (2 channel and a 5 channel) for about 7 years plugged in and have had absolutely nothing to do to them other than change some fuses when I shorted them out by accident. My fault.

Don't see how anyone can say that they're finiicky.
post #162 of 196
My comments were about Rotels Pre Processors. Amps are single function, dumb, and binary; that is, for the most part they either work or they don't. On the other hand, pre processors (like the RSP-1572) are a hornets' nest of function and features; and as we all know, the devil is in those details. As for reliability, today's electronics are more reliable than they ever have been; so reliability is probably not an issue. What is an issue these days is support, availability of parts, and longevity of the company. Rotel scores well here.

Bruce, do lots of homework before you buy anything. And if you can, check out used components at Audiogon or other used audiophile equipment sites. In my opinion, component level reliability should not be an issue with today's electronics. I would be more concerned about the condition of the cabinet and display.
post #163 of 196
Can not speak as to Rotel's reliability when it comes to preamps and receivers as I've not had one but you make a good point about doing your homework before buying.....and do lots of homework. You'll always find some fanboy on a thread that makes a particular unit sound bullet proof but dig deeper and you may find that many have had problems. That's what I'm coming across in my search for a new prepro. Although I'd like to upgrade to among other things add HDMI switching and high resolution audio decoding, I'd rather wait for the right unit to come out than buy something and be almost immediately trying to upgrade. I'm looking for high end sound quality for about $3K or less from a company that's large enough where they're not likely to disappear before the warranty plays out.
post #164 of 196
Trying to decide between the Integra 80.3 and the Rotel RSP 1572 . I have a Integra 40.2 now and love it but have always wanted a Rotel . What do you guys think in comparison ? Thanks in Advance
post #165 of 196
Thread Starter 
Had my Rotel now for six months with no issues. The Integra 80.3 was another prepro I was looking at as well. It came in second to the Rotel over the Denon and Marantz and a few others in the same price range. It is great to have choices.
post #166 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackrat View Post

Had my Rotel now for six months with no issues. The Integra 80.3 was another prepro I was looking at as well. It came in second to the Rotel over the Denon and Marantz and a few others in the same price range. It is great to have choices.

Yes it nice to have choices I really like the Rotel but I think im leaning towards Integra because of the XT32 .. but wow its a difficult choice . I also had others on my list and have narowed it down to these two thank goodness !
post #167 of 196
Over in the Marantz 7005 thread, someone mentioned that the 7005 preamp is planned for a replacement in several months and a few months after that, Marantz is going to release a flagship prepro. I'm inclined to wait for the flagship.

Just thought you might like to know about some more options in the not too distant future.
post #168 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Over in the Marantz 7005 thread, someone mentioned that the 7005 preamp is planned for a replacement in several months and a few months after that, Marantz is going to release a flagship prepro. I'm inclined to wait for the flagship.

Just thought you might like to know about some more options in the not too distant future.

Thanks Jim I just ended up getting a Integra 80.3 and in the process of hooking it up as we speak .
post #169 of 196
Thread Starter 
[quote=TheFactor;22014886]Yes it nice to have choices I really like the Rotel but I think im leaning towards Integra because of the XT32 ..

I was very much aware bout the Rotel Not having Audessey. However they do now offer a parametric EQ in the Rotel. Granted you must do your own EQ but I am OK with that. To me XT32 is fine but not a deal breaker, and, mostly good marketing. But, if that floats your boat then go for it. Many higher end prepro's do NOT have EQ either. Best thing to do is go listen and compare. I will EQ my HT room sometime this Summer. It is one of those features that you really only do once, unless you move your speakers, furnature, or change equipment which I will not be doing in the near future.
post #170 of 196
[quote=Sackrat;22016088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Yes it nice to have choices I really like the Rotel but I think im leaning towards Integra because of the XT32 ..

I was very much aware bout the Rotel Not having Audessey. However they do now offer a parametric EQ in the Rotel. Granted you must do your own EQ but I am OK with that. To me XT32 is fine but not a deal breaker, and, mostly good marketing. But, if that floats your boat then go for it. Many higher end prepro's do NOT have EQ either. Best thing to do is go listen and compare. I will EQ my HT room sometime this Summer. It is one of those features that you really only do once, unless you move your speakers, furnature, or change equipment which I will not be doing in the near future.

Yes I took that into consideration and im normally always moving things around and or adding gear so I ended up picking up a 80.3 today and in the process of hooking everything up now . I very much appreciate your input.
post #171 of 196
As I continue to wait on Rotel for a fix for the audio lock delay problem, I am still enjoying my 1572 very much! (I'm sure a fix is coming! )

In recent weeks, I've been fooling around with re-ripping some of my CD collection in iTunes using Apple's Lossless format for zero loss of audio content. I know there's WAV, but I'm going this route for now.

I placed those files on an iPod and my iPhone 4 so I could try the USB connection to the Rotel. I was amazed how the sound is, just like the CD. However, I'm wondering if others do this! Or do you use another method to connect an iPod to the Rotel. Perhaps from a music server or via an Apple device.

During more quiet passages, I will hear random pops and clicks. These are enough to interrupt the sound, but it is very very quick, which is why I describe it as a pop or click. These audio clicks cannot be heard with headphones, high end headphones or the earbuds. So that leads me to believe it might be the USB connection. And-or related to the audio lock delay issue. Each track does exhibit the audio delay from the iPod.

I considered using the I-20 iPod dock from pure.com. It's about $100.00 US dollars and from England. It was recommended by my Rotel dealer as the best way to get audio from an iPod to the Rotel. It has a DAC in the dock! And has analogue out, and coax out and optical outputs. I just wasn't sure it was going to solve the clicks I'm hearing and I hated to invest in another input device just to get the iPod to work. What is nice is the Rotel just needs rhe USB cable and it will charge the iPod while the I-20 dock requires power to power the DAC. It is what it is, just like powering up another CD player I suppose.
post #172 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsun View Post

As I continue to wait on Rotel for a fix for the audio lock delay problem, I am still enjoying my 1572 very much! (I'm sure a fix is coming!)

Are you being sarcastic saying this or serious? Im only asking because thry have had this same issue unaddressed with 4 straight generations of prepros. Im in the market right now for a new prepro and this issue is a deal killer. Am not gonna spend multi thousands of $ to have to try to work out an issue that should not be an issue. Looking at NAD though I wish I could go the Rotel route.
post #173 of 196
I'm serious! I was promised a fix by the dealer who sells the Rotel and I have to take his word that he spoke to Rotel and that they are working on a fix for this issue.

Prior to buying the Rotel, I did research into their pre-pros. I didn't know about the audio lock delay, nor did I find any comments about it anywhere. Of course I didn't know what to look for specifically. I never experienced anything like it before.
post #174 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsun View Post

I'm serious! I was promised a fix by the dealer who sells the Rotel and I have to take his word that he spoke to Rotel and that they are working on a fix for this issue.
Prior to buying the Rotel, I did research into their pre-pros. I didn't know about the audio lock delay, nor did I find any comments about it anywhere. Of course I didn't know what to look for specifically. I never experienced anything like it before.

I hope you anre right and they do a fix, though I thought I read its a hardware issue, not something a firmware update can resolve. It would be nice if Rotel fixed this issue and also got that new 1580 or whatever they are calling it now new prepro to market.
post #175 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsun View Post

I'm serious! I was promised a fix by the dealer who sells the Rotel and I have to take his word that he spoke to Rotel and that they are working on a fix for this issue.
Prior to buying the Rotel, I did research into their pre-pros. I didn't know about the audio lock delay, nor did I find any comments about it anywhere. Of course I didn't know what to look for specifically. I never experienced anything like it before.

I did the same thing with a $2000 Denon DVD player. A fix was promised, I purchased the player and then nothing. Now, I won't touch a Denon product.


As a practical matter, you did what most of us would have done and had our first "don't trust the lieing bastards" experience. If it doesn't work right, don't buy it based on some promise that may or may not be fulfilled.
post #176 of 196
Im going to get the new rotel rsp-1572, but have a question about the volume control scale..

Is it possible to have rotel dispaly Relative volume scale?

Main reason.... When i calibrate all channels to 75db, I want a point that is correct to use as reference.. So with this scale, 0db would be THX ref..

If the answer is no, what volume level is the same voltage as 0db in the THX scale?

Thanks..
post #177 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Im going to get the new rotel rsp-1572, but have a question about the volume control scale..
Is it possible to have rotel dispaly Relative volume scale?
Main reason.... When i calibrate all channels to 75db, I want a point that is correct to use as reference.. So with this scale, 0db would be THX ref..
If the answer is no, what volume level is the same voltage as 0db in the THX scale?
Thanks..

It doesn't really work that way.

Consider the variables of amplifier (100 watts vs 400 watts per channel) speaker efficiency, distances, accoustics, etc. there is no one setting that would provide the same loudness in all cases.

Thing to do is to use an SPL meter and find what is the correct volume for you and to remember what it is on the scale.
post #178 of 196
I have a Rotel RMB 1575 and i'm thinking about RSP 1572 Processor but when i read this topic actually i was confused so what you say there is still firmware issue ? I also have a Pioneer SC-LX 86 and i am still using that what is your advice keep going with Pioneer Lx 86 or buy one rsp 1572 and use with rmb 1575?
post #179 of 196
For all of you who are still having issues with the HDMI inputs specially with a cable box. Try adding this to your processor: http://www.homecontrols.com/Transformative-Engineering-HDMI-Conditioner-Stabilizer-TEHDS12.

It worked on my RSP-1572.
post #180 of 196
Hey Joomi,

Are you saying that the HDMI conditioner from Transformative Engineering resolved the audio lock delay issue on the Rotel 1572? If Rotel cannot resolve it and this does, that would be amazing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel RSP-1572 Up and Running