I just thought I'd check in here. I've not made much in the way of photo-worthy progress, though I have had a few minutes here and there to get ready to hang the OSB, which I still haven't actually started yet.
The prompt for my posting tonight is the near-disaster that happened in the living room this afternoon. The wife and I are in the living room, folding laundry and watching TV. I get up to take some pants to the closet, and she yells from the living room, "Fred!" I called back, "yes?" She yells, more emphatically, "Fred, come here!" So I drop what I'm doing and come back. She's crouched down in front of the entertainment center, the dog is working his sniffer - she points into the entertainment center and says, "Something's on fire!" My first thought is "Where is a fire extinguisher?" - which I'm still not sure about - I'll go check - and then it occurs to me - This must be an electrical fire - unplug everything! Luckily the TV is mounted on an articulating mount, so I swing it out of the way and pull the power strip out of the wall.
Nothing had actually burst into flames, but some of the electronics plugged into the power strip had LEDs blinking off as the power strip began to fail. The smell of smoke was distinct.
The power strip seems to have failed internally. My wife's first guess was that there had been some mechanical stress on the power cable, and something must have been damaged or frayed inside the case. That seems like a reasonable prediction, but I'm not sure that there is evidence for that mode of failure. Anyway, here's the photographic evidence.
Notice in the first picture the melted spot on the back of the case, and the smoke/scorching on the sheathing of the power cable.
In this second picture, you can see several burnt components. It looks to me like the source of the heat was a soldered component near the power cables - I don't know what type - I might have said capacitor, but I don't think that's right - it's rectangular. This power strip was the sort with switchable outlets and an RF remote to activate and de-activate those outlets. It's branded as Belkin and is about three or four years old.
Of course, the good news is that we were there when it started and apart from $30 worth of power strip, there seems to be no real damage. Hopefully, my next update will be of more real progress.