Originally Posted by petew
Gyp board $400
Compound, tape, etc $150
Nails, screws, etc $200
Paint and supplies $300
That looks pretty overboard
A standard stud is about $2, not including any sales. GT studs for the bottom layer about $3.
80' feet of walls at 18" OC is about 55 studs = $110
10 GT studs for the sole plate on the bottom perimeter = $30
Figure 20 studs for the top plate (could use one layer if these walls are non-load bearing) = $40
Figure 10 extra studs for king stud/trimmers, etc.) = $20
Lumber = $200
5 or 6 tubes of PL adhesive = $30
Sheetrock ½” thk 4x8 is $4.40 (Lowes website) Need 20 sheets to do 80 linear feet around the walls, plus 12 sheets to do 375 sq feet of ceiling (15X25) add in 2 extra sheets for screwups =$150
A Bucket of compound is about $10. If you need more than three buckets to do the room, you’re sanding too much. Throw in about $5 for joint tape = $35
A bucket of drywall screws is about $40. Figure the same for framing nails. Hardware = $80
Paint, really depends on what you’re doing. 2 gallons of a dark eggshell color of can be had to do the room for about $50. Alternatively, using more expensive paint or adding a matte varnish on top can add a lot (Modern masters dead flat varnish is about $70 a gallon for example.) Paint = $100 plus roller covers.
Trim around the baseboard/doors/windows can vary a lot based on what design/material you want. Assuming an 8’ plank at $4 and needing, say 120’ for baseboards plus a door or window or two = $60.
All in to frame in a room, rock it, paint it and trim it = $655
Please keep in mind this is the minimum SWAG to do the job assuming:
1) you know what you’re doing, have the tools and won’t waste a lot of material on screwups
2) Are just doing the basic level of work to “finish” a room properly. But not going “all in” to make it an uber-sound-isolation room
3) this includes nothing for electrical. Unless the space was already roughed in for electrical *to meet occupied living space standards* you’ll likely have to add at least some extra outlets.
4) No doors are added/you already have doors roughed in.
5) You’re buddies will volunteer to work for substantially less beer than petew’s buddies will.