or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 42

post #1231 of 1390
brody76 can u snap a few pictures in dark room for the completle dark picture, lets see how dark this img is
Maybe compare to yours PZ250 it will be cool -for Us pls ^^

Something like this

If u have a good camera
post #1232 of 1390
Unfortunately I don't have a camera capable of doing this.
I'll have a try, but don't expect much.

Edit: yep, can't see a thing. Sorry.
post #1233 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

The image does not invade the black bars. In fact it is the opposite and yes, this is a known bug of LG plasmas!

It results in faulty rendering of the shades near black. They are not able to reach the left, the right and the top of the panel and if you would try to display a circly with an IRE of 4 for example, the circle would be rendered as an egg instead!

Ah, okay, thanks a lot for clearing that up! Now that I know there's nothing I can do about it I can stop worrying about it To be honest, though, it hasn't really bothered me all that much, it's not THAT noticeable from a normal viewing distance.
post #1234 of 1390
I started experiencing a new issue, not sure if the tweak is the cause. My ps3 would randomly make my pk950 have dancing green pixels. Once the ps3 is rebooted the dancing pixels would go away. Doesn't happen with any other devices. Is it my tv? hdmi handshake issue? it only started just recently after the tweak.
post #1235 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

Unfortunately I don't have a camera capable of doing this.
I'll have a try, but don't expect much.

Edit: yep, can't see a thing. Sorry.

Pity, but thx for trying
post #1236 of 1390
Guys,
I just couldn't resist the offer ; a 50PA6500 for 587€ !!(online shop)
(I'm from Belgium) so I sold my old 42PG3000 & ordered one
I hope to get it next week
Even when I was quite happy with the blacks on my 'tweaked' PK550
I still hope it's a lot better, since I lost a lot of detail on the PK550.
if not I can always tweak the PA6500.
@Brody, can you tell me what you changed ramp_up is at what 'time' now?


I'll keep you informed.
post #1237 of 1390
Hi, after a while that I have tweak my 50ps8000 I start to have some problem with red pixel. After 4/5 week TV shotdown and never startup. The Z-SUS board is dead.
Now Lg assistance change it, an TV is ok.
It's possibile that the tweak make problem with the Z-SUS Board.

Sorry again for my bad English!
post #1238 of 1390
I guess it could be bad if you changed the voltages to much.
I recommend only to change Set_up en Set_dn
and stay away from Vy, Va etc... unless you have a scope to measure the values.
post #1239 of 1390
Quote:

LG erased those manuals!

I lost my harddrive and have to download those manuals again, cause I wanted to remeasure and forgot where the measuriong points are!

Any body knows or have downlod links?

I wonder, what LG thinks by removing the manuals? Now people are more likely, to set up the pots wrong, if they don't know, where to put the sensors.
post #1240 of 1390
Guys, is this normal and not a defect?





The blacks and dark areas of my set are riddled with what I call green snow or static. It does not extend into the black bar areas of 2.35:1 films unless I increase the brightness to stupid levels.

I thought my set must be defective, but now I am reading that this is the way the LG plasmas are designed...??? Seriously?

Watching anything with dark imagery is a nightmare. The last Harry Potter is unwatchable. it's just a sea of green static like snow.

Not to mention I have zero details in many scenes. The only way to get detail in dark areas is by using the Sports mode, which is super duper crazy hot and bright.
post #1241 of 1390
That's dithering. All plasmas have them to some degree, but that is the most extreme I've seen. How far away do you sit from your set? I can't see any dithering on my 50PK550 if I move more than 3 feet back. Have you used the AVSHD 709 patterns to set brightness correctly?
post #1242 of 1390
I'm 7.5 feet, eyeball to screen. That's as far back as I can get. It's so obvious 90% of the time it's made the set unwatchable.

I have not ever tried the AVSHD 709 but am downloading it now.
post #1243 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

LG erased those manuals!

I lost my harddrive and have to download those manuals again, cause I wanted to remeasure and forgot where the measuriong points are!

Any body knows or have downlod links?

I wonder, what LG thinks by removing the manuals? Now people are more likely, to set up the pots wrong, if they don't know, where to put the sensors.

Any chance, someone could upload the manual for me? Please?
post #1244 of 1390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Any chance, someone could upload the manual for me? Please?

You've got PM.
post #1245 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Any chance, someone could upload the manual for me? Please?

If possible I would like the manual also (have LG pk350)

thanks in advance
post #1246 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

You've got PM.

rob,could you pm me if you have the manual for the 50pk550.

thanks,Uber..
post #1247 of 1390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersonic View Post

rob,could you pm me if you have the manual for the 50pk550.

thanks,Uber..

Hi Guys

The PDF files run between 20-28MB and I'm getting failure notices on some sent emails, anyone have a site where these can be posted, maybe yahoo groups or something similar.
post #1248 of 1390
Local technician came on out today (on LG's dime) and instantly agreed, 'wow, that is dithering on steroids.' He wanted to start messing with it, but advised he come back next week with a certain board in case he messed mine up. He said that he has seen this before and that it can be dialed down enough to satisfy.

So hope is not lost.
post #1249 of 1390
Wow, that's extreme, I agree.

I can see some when I get pretty close to the screen, but as soon as I get to 7ft, I don't see a thing. Don't worry, LG panels are not that crappy it's indeed a defect.
post #1250 of 1390
From 7 ft away I can easily see the green static/noise. In fact, in darker scenes I can see how at the top of the screen the plasma has a hard time rendering black and near black and how it fluctuates. Insanely distracting.
post #1251 of 1390
Brody, so did all you really need to do is adjust the Ramp_up and not need to touch anything else?
post #1252 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbedaman View Post

Brody, so did all you really need to do is adjust the Ramp_up and not need to touch anything else?

I did play around with the Vy too, but not too much.
You pretty much need to compensate with the other pots to get deeper blacks.

The more you turn the Ramp_up clockwise, the more noise/missfiring pixels you'll have, so you need to compensate in a way, or back off a bit.

I can't really remember exactly what I did and I don't wanna bother opening up the TV again. But from what I remember I couldn't go that far, or I would have pink noise.
post #1253 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I did play around with the Vy too, but not too much.
You pretty much need to compensate with the other pots to get deeper blacks.

The more you turn the Ramp_up clockwise, the more noise/missfiring pixels you'll have, so you need to compensate in a way, or back off a bit.

I can't really remember exactly what I did and I don't wanna bother opening up the TV again. But from what I remember I couldn't go that far, or I would have pink noise.

Ok thanks, I'm gonna try this in the next week or two so just trying to get all my ducks in a row.
post #1254 of 1390
Can anyone tell me where the screws are located on 50PK350?
Reassembling I noticed there are 4 types of screws but I can not figure out where are located the number 1 and 3.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks a lot

Attachment 247792
Attachment 247793
LL
LL
post #1255 of 1390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

As for someone mentioning that they drew a diagram for where the screws went, I just laid mine out on the floor in the pattern that they came off...




Hi Marius

Might help although it's from a 60"
post #1256 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi Marius

Might help although it's from a 60"

Hi
I had already seen that photo but I can not understand where are the screws number 1. They seem all the same size. If you noticed the number 1 and 2 are similar but the n°1 are slightly longer.
post #1257 of 1390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius9900 View Post

Hi
I had already seen that photo but I can not understand where are the screws number 1. They seem all the same size. If you noticed the number 1 and 2 are similar but the n°1 are slightly longer.

Just a guess but they may go on the bottom 2 far left and 2 far right.
post #1258 of 1390
I used the same technique, positioning them on the floor the way they were screwed in. Otherwise you get easily lost and risk destroying the bezel, or even worse damaging the panel.
If I remember well it was pretty much mixed up, you could have 3 long screws on top and suddenly a shorter one.

Good luck.
post #1259 of 1390
I finally took the back off the my 60PM6700 and was expecting to see ramp_up/ramp_down, since Brody stated thats what his newer 2012 model had stamped on it, but mine are stamped set up/set down like all the other models.

I was happy with the black level straight out of the box, pretty damn good actually...but curiosity got the best of me. So, I only messed with three pots, VY, set up, set down.

After prolly two hours of turning the pots, The only one that really made a difference was set up. Set down clockwise made misfires, but no deeper blacks. VY as far as I could tell didnt do anything either, didnt help me get any further with set up. All I could do is get maybe an 8th of a turn out of set up before starting to get pink pixels everywhere.

It still made a slight difference in the black levels and I am pleased with that, but I really wasnt expecting much. LG probably tweaked this before it left the factory..they do state it has better black levels than last years model anyways.
post #1260 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbedaman View Post

It still made a slight difference in the black levels and I am pleased with that, but I really wasnt expecting much. LG probably tweaked this before it left the factory..they do state it has better black levels than last years model anyways.

...which the PM6700, that ChadB reviewed, not have.

The PM9700 in the shooutout on the other hand had 0.034 cd/m2, which I suppose, could be the mark you have just reached by your tuning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.