First of all, I should have listened to others and just did Turrican's changes. My hardheadness and own curiosity piqued and I thought I would try all the pots. Here are my results
I have a 50pk540 that I bought from Sams Club and has a build date of October 2010. I used my PS3 and viewed both Matrix (for the white room scene) and Avatar (where we see Nayteri (sp??) for the first time). Thankfully, I had my wife to watch these as I was adjusting the pots to tell me when they looked better or worse.
1. WHAT A MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS. Adjusting the pots in order that Harvro suggestion was a very trying time mentally for me. I royally screwed them up as I had no real gauge as to how much to turn each one so I just did exactly as he did either fully cranked or not.
2. This lead to me thinking that I ruined my set completely. It is not something that is quick as i took almost 2 hours putzing around before (very luckily) getting the pots right.
3. My results are stunning, but as I stated, I could have easily screwed up my TV. I really have no grasp of the technical lingo that is used in this thread. Black levels are even better than before, and the color and clarity is much better than before.
4. # 3 could easily be psychosematic. BUT I will say that Neyteri's hair looked almost jet black.
5. After I was done, and after I let the TV cool for 40 min or so twice, I still noticed that I have one pixel that is magenta color. I cant say if it was like this before, if its blown, or if it will go away.
6. I couldnt give you any techno crap about how much I turned each pot, so I took pics of them all. Here they are...
Set-Dn: The most finicky of them all. Too much and all I got was bad pixelation.
Set-Up: Maxed all the way clockwise. Still gave me instant better blacks.
VA: Maxed Clockwise. Was the first one to screw up my pixels. Had to re-adjust this one many times.
VS: hardest one to adjust. No real marking to go by. Didnt really notice if it did anything or not.
VSC: left alone.
VZB: Maxed clockwise. I will say that this gave me more detail than before I touched it. How much more is tough to say, but I def notice it
VY: By far the most contrarian of the pots as far as every one else is concerned. I have mine almost maxed out Clockwise when Harvro had his maxed counterclockwise.
After all that was done, I putzed around a bit with the menu settings. Used Picture Wizard and here is what I have. (the 20pt IRE was identical to what Brad had posted on another LG thread)
H and V Sharpness 46
Dynamic Contrast Low
Black Level Low
Film Mode Off
Color Standard Not highlighted
Color Gamut Standard
Edge Enhancer Off
White Balance Warm
In the end, I hope that this helps someone who, like me, has very limited (if any) technical knowhow outside of what he or she may read on here. I am VERY happy with the results. My bedroom is almost completly dark during the day, and except for the blue light coming from the DirecTv box, is pitch black at night. Occasionally, I will see some noise, but its something I am willing to see given the black levels that I have now and the bright colors that I have acheieved.