or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › "The Iron Lady" - Starring Meryl Streep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Iron Lady" - Starring Meryl Streep

post #1 of 94
Thread Starter 
Did a search and didn't find a thread on this.....

"The Iron Lady" - starring Meryl Streep

"Tells the story of a woman who smashed through the barriers of gender and class to be heard in a male-dominated world. The story concerns power and the price that is paid for power, and is a surprising and insightful portrait of an extraordinary and complex woman."



This looks really good, especially Streep. U.S. release date 13 Jan. 2012, limited release 30 Dec. 2011.
post #2 of 94
Hard to take it seriously when it seems to paint Thatcher very sympathetically, but I could be wrong about that. Also, it seems to be a total Oscar vehicle for her.

Suffice to say, not my cup of tea.
post #3 of 94
I'm all for painting her sympathetically, but I doubt we will actually have that with left winger Streep playing the part.

Great trailer. But trailers frequently lie.

What music is used for the last half of the trailer? It's awesome.
post #4 of 94
I should have been more clear, it seems like it will be more flattering than a realistic presentation. But maybe I read the trailer wrong.
post #5 of 94
More often than not, whether a politician's story is told in a "flattering" or "realistic" way in the eyes of a viewer will depend on that viewer's own political bias.

But a story about a political figure doesn't need to be about politics. In fact it's a better story if its not. Political stories are more or less a matter of record, personal dramas are not.
post #6 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I'm all for painting her sympathetically, but I doubt we will actually have that with left winger Streep playing the part.

Great trailer. But trailers frequently lie.

What music is used for the last half of the trailer? It's awesome.

I tend to agree about Streep. I would hate to see the best Prime Minister since Churchhill portrayed as a fruit or whatever.
post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

more often than not, whether a politician's story is told in a "flattering" or "realistic" way in the eyes of a viewer will depend on that viewer's own political bias.

But a story about a political figure doesn't need to be about politics. In fact it's a better story if its not. Political stories are more or less a matter of record, personal dramas are not.

+1
post #8 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I tend to agree about Streep. I would hate to see the best Prime Minister since Churchhill portrayed as a fruit or whatever.

She's a true professional, if there is a problem with this film it won't be on her.

Having said that Thatcher's kids already commented as "left wing fantasy", however no comment if they actually seen the entire film.

I'm certainly looking forward to see this one, because of Streep.
post #9 of 94
Of note, the director is a woman. Very few female directors make it so far so kudos to her.
post #10 of 94
Well if half the stories I heard about the Iron Lady are true, I really hope the movie gives her a fair portrayal.

EDIT

The director of Mamma mia, this could be intresting...
post #11 of 94
I just found this thread a few minutes ago and it resonated with me. Earlier today, I read a long and very interesting Vanity Fair profile about the "Iron Lady."

The most controversial thing I have seen about the film is the objection that its depiction of the present day Lady Thatcher as being deep in the throes of dementia is incorrect. It seems to me that her current mental condition has little bearing on her legacy. The complaint, of course, comes from her staunch defenders. I don't worry much about whether the portrayal is totally accurate or not because it creates a convenient dramatic hook to use to flashback to Thatcher's earlier years. All we can do is hope that the movie is reasonably objective and does not rely too much on conjecture.

I am looking forward to seeing The Iron Lady. Historical figures who are as important and controversial as Thatcher seem to me to make the most interesting biographical subjects. With a star as awesomely talented as Streep in the title role, I have high hopes for the film
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

. The complaint, of course, comes from her staunch defenders. I don't worry much about whether the portrayal is totally accurate or not because it creates a convenient dramatic hook to use to flashback to Thatcher's earlier years. All we can do is hope that the movie is reasonably objective and does not rely too much on conjecture.

NO WAY!!!
Streep has been identified as a "left-winger."
There isn't any way she would be fair-and-balanced in portraying Thatcher.

No way, No how....
post #13 of 94
Maybe we should wait and see? I know it's quiet a concept these days.
post #14 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Maybe we should wait and see? I know it's quiet a concept these days.


NO WAY!


Rushes to judgement is what makes this country special.
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


NO WAY!


Rushes to judgement is what makes this country special.

"Fast and wrong" is better then "right and never".
post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

"Fast and wrong" is better then "right and never".

Or to quote the previous POTUS: "A bad plan is better than no plan."
post #17 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


NO WAY!


Rushes to judgement is what makes this country special.

I'm not talking to [about] the country, I'm talking to you.

Quote:
Or to quote the previous POTUS: "A bad plan is better than no plan."

You should have quoted Reagan at least, that would have been somewhat on topic, knowing his friendship to "Maggie".
post #18 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I'm not talking to [about] the country, I'm talking to you.

I know....I was making a joke (and an apparently bad one at that).


Quote:
You should have quoted Reagan at least, that would have been somewhat on topic, knowing his friendship to "Maggie".

True.
Their friendship was more of a political one based on ideology, rather than something personal.
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Their friendship was more of a political one based on ideology, rather than something personal.

It started out as such, but it was quiet personal for both of them, they continued their friendship till the end of his life.
post #20 of 94
Interesting article on "13 Lessons" Streep learned in this role

http://www.indiewire.com/article/13-...-iron-lady-q-a

Excerpt:

- Gasp! She’s not the biggest fan of Thatcher policy. Streep is not one of our most outspoken actors. Although her political tendencies were likely a matter of public record before, hearing her put her feelings toward Thatcher in such plain terms seems to be a vital aspect of understanding her performance in full context. “I had already decided I knew everything about Margaret Thatcher - and Ronald Reagan. Everybody that I disagree with,” she said with a slight chuckle. “But you don’t know everything. That’s why we’re alive is to learn more. And, God, the compassionate journey into disagreeable territory...I really like to portray prickly people, difficult women on a certain level.”
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Interesting article on "13 Lessons" Streep learned in this role

http://www.indiewire.com/article/13-...-iron-lady-q-a

Excerpt:

- Gasp! She's not the biggest fan of Thatcher policy. Streep is not one of our most outspoken actors. Although her political tendencies were likely a matter of public record before, hearing her put her feelings toward Thatcher in such plain terms seems to be a vital aspect of understanding her performance in full context. I had already decided I knew everything about Margaret Thatcher - and Ronald Reagan. Everybody that I disagree with, she said with a slight chuckle. But you don't know everything. That's why we're alive is to learn more. And, God, the compassionate journey into disagreeable territory...I really like to portray prickly people, difficult women on a certain level.

I think even admirers of Mrs. Thatcher would agree that she was "prickly" and could be a "difficult woman." Maybe I am wrong but I will be surprised if The Iron Lady doesn't give us a pretty balanced look at Margaret Thatcher. If the worst thing Thatcher's ardent supporters can say about the film is that it portrays her as suffering from Alzheimer's in her old age, it seems to me the rest of the film might be decent. Streep is far too accomplished an actress ro be a party to a naked hit piece.
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Well if half the stories I heard about the Iron Lady are true, I really hope the movie gives her a fair portrayal.

EDIT

The director of Mamma mia, this could be intresting...

Jeez, for a second the text fooled me. Thought it said Al-Yamamah. Whatever, BAE will always love her.
post #23 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Interesting article on "13 Lessons" Streep learned in this role

http://www.indiewire.com/article/13-...-iron-lady-q-a

I thought this was a very profound statement by Streep.

I would like to think that everybody that got on the subway and saw some old lady sitting across from them, that they would imagine a whole, huge life lay behind all those wrinkles, she said. There's almost nothing less interesting in our consumerist society than an old lady. Dismissed. We don't make movies for her, we don't give a damn. We can't sell her anything, she doesn't buy anything. But just the idea that everything, the whole panoply of human experience: births, deaths, struggles, joy. Everything's in there. To imagine that, that's what I would hope.

Typically this isn't understood until later in life and, clearly, Steep understands it.
post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I thought this was a very profound statement by Streep.

Wonderful!
post #25 of 94
The U.S. trailer pales in comparison to the British. Nowhere near as rousing.
post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The U.S. trailer pales in comparison to the British. Nowhere near as rousing.

Any trailer becomes epic with "Almost Martyrs" playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSi6qYrVlec

Just watch trailer for Münich.
post #27 of 94
Just found this collection of impressions about The Iron Lady in The Daily Mail. All who wrote about the film knew Lady Thatcher to one degree or another. All in all, they left me with a positive impression of the film, which makes me anxious to see it.
post #28 of 94
Thread Starter 
Well it appears America has it's own "Iron Lady" now....

Michele Bachmann compares self to 'Iron Lady' Margaret Thatcher

Maybe we'll get a biopic on the self declared 'Iron Lady' of America.
post #29 of 94

So do they call Marcus Bachmann now Dennis?
post #30 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Well it appears America has it's own "Iron Lady" now....

Michele Bachmann compares self to 'Iron Lady' Margaret Thatcher

Maybe we'll get a biopic on the self declared 'Iron Lady' of America.

To paraphrase a famous political quote, "I knew Margaret Thatcher and Michele Bachman is no Margaret Thatcher."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › "The Iron Lady" - Starring Meryl Streep