or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

post #1 of 109
Thread Starter 
.
post #2 of 109
The original Alec Guiness version was great, along with Smiley's People. TTSS had some big surprises in it.
I haven't seen this remake, but if it's half as good as the original, it'll be worth watching
post #3 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

The original Alec Guiness version was great, along with Smiley's People. TTSS had some big surprises in it.
I haven't seen this remake, but if it's half as good as the original, it'll be worth watching

I too loved the original , but had not seen it in over 10 years I need to watch it again really.
post #4 of 109
Who's releasing this in the US?
post #5 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

Who's releasing this in the US?

Focus
post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

The original Alec Guiness version was great, along with Smiley's People. TTSS had some big surprises in it.
I haven't seen this remake, but if it's half as good as the original, it'll be worth watching

Agreed. Both the two mini-series and the books are on my all time favourite lists.

I am looking forward to seeing the new movie, and I also hope it might encourage a blu-ray release of the Guiness programs.
post #7 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

The original Alec Guiness version was great, along with Smiley's People. TTSS had some big surprises in it. I haven't seen this remake, but if it's half as good as the original, it'll be worth watching

Perhaps more importantly, at 127 minutes, the [Gary Oldman] remake of TTSS is less than half the length of the 324 minute original Alec Guiness version...! While it has been some time since I read the book|watched the mini series, I don't recall thinking of either one as particularly 'padded' with unnecessary content . . . which suggests that the new movie is a substantially abridged version of the tv show [content]. If done well and the movie turns out to be 'great', it will nonetheless still be a somewhat different storytelling...?!
post #8 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Perhaps more importantly, at 127 minutes, the [Gary Oldman] remake of TTSS is less than half the length of the 324 minute original Alec Guiness version...! While it has been some time since I read the book|watched the mini series, I don't recall thinking of either one as particularly 'padded' with unnecessary content . . . which suggests that the new movie is a substantially abridged version of the tv show [content]. If done well and the movie turns out to be 'great', it will nonetheless still be a somewhat different storytelling...?!

I am going away next week and am taking the series as a refresh, I am shocked this is not out in the states yet!
The story never suffered, and the acting was nothing but amazing throughout.
post #9 of 109
That deluxe edition in the book-like packaging looks very tempting - any idea if it's locked to region 'B'?
post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Perhaps more importantly, at 127 minutes, the [Gary Oldman] remake of TTSS is less than half the length of the 324 minute original Alec Guiness version...! While it has been some time since I read the book|watched the mini series, I don't recall thinking of either one as particularly 'padded' with unnecessary content . . . which suggests that the new movie is a substantially abridged version of the tv show [content]. If done well and the movie turns out to be 'great', it will nonetheless still be a somewhat different storytelling...?!

What TV series? The wife and I enjoyed the original movie and are looking forward to the new one but neither of us has heard of a TV series version.
post #11 of 109
I have been an ardent John Le Carre fan for more than 40 years and have read all of his novels, some multiple times. Le Carre's George Smiley is one of literatures most memorable characters.

Nearly 10 years ago I bought the DVDs of the BBC miniseries productions of both Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and its sequel, Smiley's people. Because of all the recent press attention being given to the new version of Tinker, Tailor starring Gary Oldman, I rewatched both BBC miniseries over the weekend. Once again, I was blown away by Alec Guinness' portrayal of quiet, shy, brilliant George Smiley. Guinness was nothing short of perfect. I was also impressed by many other performances but that's a story for another day. By the way, the DVD of both miniseries has recently been rereleased and is available from Amazon. Highest recommendations, 10 Stars out of 10.

The new Tinker, Tailor has just been rereleased theatrically but the BD is scheduled for release next month. What is that about?

I want to see the new Tinker, Tailor but have some reservations. The novel and the BBC miniseries tell a complex tale, which involves serial betrayals and an intricate sting. The miniseries has a runtime of nearly 6 hours. Perhaps the film can tell the story in a satisfying manner in a bit more than 2 hours but I will have to be convinced.
post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baenwort View Post

What TV series? The wife and I enjoyed the original movie and are looking forward to the new one but neither of us has heard of a TV series version.

I am not aware of any other adaptation, just the mini-series and new film. If Obi Wan was Smiley, then you saw the mini-series.
post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The new Tinker, Tailor has just been rereleased theatrically but the BD is scheduled for release next month. What is that about?

The movie is currently playing on 4 screens in the U.S. It's scheduled for a platform rollout over the next couple of months.

However, it opened in the UK back in September. It's the UK Blu-ray that's scheduled for next month. We won't see a Blu-ray in America until the middle of next year.
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I want to see the new Tinker, Tailor but have some reservations. The novel and the BBC miniseries tell a complex tale, which involves serial betrayals and an intricate sting. The miniseries has a runtime of nearly 6 hours. Perhaps the film can tell the story in a satisfying manner in a bit more than 2 hours but I will have to be convinced.

Similar to the situation with Dune. Very complex story and both attempts to render it to the screen were flawed. Although before Josh Z beats me to it, the Lynch version is the better (we know how much of a Dune fan he is )

I loved LeCarre spy novels and agree both miniseries were excellent. Guiness was superb in the role.

I've read the Oldman movie is good but share the concern how they can tell the intricate story with its cast of characters & layers of subterfuge in a 2+ hr movie....bottom line, they can't. Some parts of the story will be left out, I have no doubt. This is not an action film, it rests on one man trying to go back thru cases, events, conversations and figure out who the mole is.
post #15 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post


Similar to the situation with Dune. Very complex story and both attempts to render it to the screen were flawed. Although before Josh Z beats me to it, the Lynch version is the better (we know how much of a Dune fan he is )

I loved LeCarre spy novels and agree both miniseries were excellent. Guiness was superb in the role.

I've read the Oldman movie is good but share the concern how they can tell the intricate story with its cast of characters & layers of subterfuge in a 2+ hr movie....bottom line, they can't. Some parts of the story will be left out, I have no doubt. This is not an action film, it rests on one man trying to go back thru cases, events, conversations and figure out who the mole is.

It works, I am rewatching the BBC series now and so far the stuff not in the film I wouldn't have missed.
post #16 of 109
Wondered how much the movie must omit versus the 1979 350-minute British TV series, too. Dargis's recent NY Times review of the 2011 movie mentions such limits, too. But Dargis writes the movie director "distills the novel’s essence" with images. Sure, no doubt. ;-) -- John
post #17 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Wondered how much the movie must omit versus the 1979 350-minute British TV series, too. Dargis's recent NY Times review of the 2011 movie mentions such limits, too. But Dargis writes the movie director "distills the novel's essence" with images. Sure, no doubt. ;-) -- John

I have seen both and agree, the order is changed and some scenes but I feel it loses nothing in translation.
post #18 of 109
^^
That's good news. I can enjoy it then
post #19 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
That's good news. I can enjoy it then

Take it on it's own, on it's own merits.
I went in fresh add I could, and it's my second favourite of the year.
post #20 of 109
I was able to watch the first half last weekend.

It is one of my favorite sound jobs of the year so far.

Detailed and nuanced. Not flashy at all, but quality all the way.

I'm going to try and finish it up this weekend... I just need some peace and quiet because it requires great attention. .
post #21 of 109
Just saw it. Fantastic! I would say it is on par with the miniseries with great performances all round (especially Oldman, Hardy, Strong, and Cumberbatch). Excellent direction.

It is quite grainy by the way.
post #22 of 109
The new, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has finally opened in a couple of OKC theaters and I saw it today. It is a very fine film. I was amazed to see how well it was able to tell clearly a complex tale in only 127 minutes.

The cast was terrific. I echo what most of the critics have said about Gary Oldman's performance as George Smiley. As always, Mark Strong, could have hardly been better and I was blown away by the performance of a mostly unrecognizable Blonde haired Tom Hardy as Ricki Tarr. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10.
post #23 of 109
Thread Starter 
Glad others are enjoying it, I was worried it was going to pass the USA by.
post #24 of 109
Thread Starter 
US details added to OP
post #25 of 109
It looks like the excellent BBC miniseries with Alec Guinness is also coming to Blu-ray. Canadian distributor Paradox has an April 24 listing for it at amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tinker-Tailor-S.../dp/B006Z4LP72
post #26 of 109
Can anyone comment on how well the Blu-ray retains all the lovely grain that is in this film?

I loved the way this looked in the cinema, and I just pray they haven't ruined it by thinking it wasn't intentional and trying to remove it with horrible DNR.
post #27 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

It looks like the excellent BBC miniseries with Alec Guinness is also coming to Blu-ray. Canadian distributor Paradox has an April 24 listing for it at amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tinker-Tailor-S.../dp/B006Z4LP72

Day=Made
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

It looks like the excellent BBC miniseries with Alec Guinness is also coming to Blu-ray. Canadian distributor Paradox has an April 24 listing for it at amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/Tinker-Tailor-S.../dp/B006Z4LP72

If I understand correctly, the US broadcast version and all subsequent DVD releases are a 6 episode|hour edited version of an original 7 episode|hour UK mini series broadcast format. I don't suppose there's any chance they started 'from scratch' and used the 7 episode|hour UK broadcast version as the source for the new BD release...?!
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post

That deluxe edition in the book-like packaging looks very tempting - any idea if it's locked to region 'B'?

UK release is definetely region 'B' locked. I physically checked it on my US bluray player. Don't quote me, but I think all UK StudioCanal releases may be region 'B' locked.
post #30 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post


UK release is definetely region 'B' locked. I physically checked it on my US bluray player. Don't quote me, but I think all UK StudioCanal releases may be region 'B' locked.

90% are indeed, if it's released by another company in the US they always lock it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy