or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Page 3

post #61 of 109
These books really do need a mini-series amount of time to tell them adequately.

This version lumped too many items and too many characters together and so I ended up pretty blase about most of them. It was choppy even while seeming slow-paced and the just over 2 hours run time was so little time to flesh out the story or the many suspects.

I'll have to rent the Alec Guinness version to compare.
post #62 of 109
Good movie with a so-so transfer. You really must watch all of the details and may want to watch immediately a second time. A strong recommendation even without a reference PQ.
post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Good movie with a so-so transfer. You really must watch all of the details and may want to watch immediately a second time. A strong recommendation even without a reference PQ.

Im definitely going to see this but im awaiting for its release over here to rent first. I've been stung before on a blind buy.
post #64 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Good movie with a so-so transfer. You really must watch all of the details and may want to watch immediately a second time. A strong recommendation even without a reference PQ.

Its exactly how it looked theatrically
post #65 of 109
TV version:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...TV_blu-ray.htm

This looks odd, coarse film grain but hard to spot any sharping and weak detail wise. Looks like a lower rez scan scaled up.
post #66 of 109
Hard to see anything behind that terrible compression.
post #67 of 109
TV:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tinker.../37838/#Review

Same look as the dvdbeaver caps, guess shot on 16mm is partly to blame.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Good movie with a so-so transfer. You really must watch all of the details and may want to watch immediately a second time. A strong recommendation even without a reference PQ.

I saw film in theatres twice (on 2k digital projection, mind you), and I can tell you that the transfer is staggeringly close to what I saw, and about as good as I could possibly have expected a 1080p transfer to be.
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

ok rented br version of this last night from redbox.

loaded player, and it played through the previews, then the univeral spinning logo comes up which usually means it is reading, and then nothing, nada.

couldn't get the movie to play. tried all the usual tricks reboot, wipe disc with microfiber, open and close tray but the damn thing wouldn't play the movie.

anyone else have this problem?

second redbox bd movie in a row i've rented that has had issues.

i'm starting to think redbox is buying their br titles from the chinese counterfeit market.

Same here on my Panasonic BD50. Discovered my firmware was two releases old. Upgraded and now it runs fine. Is your BD playler's FW up to date?
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

Same here on my Panasonic BD50. Discovered my firmware was two releases old. Upgraded and now it runs fine. Is your BD playler's FW up to date?

nope, don't even remember how to do it. it must be 3+ years old. mine is not internet connectable so i have to download it from a source and find what memory device my bd accepts.

do you know where i can find the firmware update? last time i tried to navigate pannys website i found it very counterintuitive.
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

ok rented br version of this last night from redbox.

loaded player, and it played through the previews, then the univeral spinning logo comes up which usually means it is reading, and then nothing, nada.

couldn't get the movie to play. tried all the usual tricks reboot, wipe disc with microfiber, open and close tray but the damn thing wouldn't play the movie.

anyone else have this problem?

Rented it from RedBox this weekend. Had no problems at all.
post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post


do you know where i can find the firmware update? last time i tried to navigate pannys website i found it very counterintuitive.

I have a Sony and a BD-30... Usually I go directly to Panasonic JP for FW updates:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html

hope this helps
post #73 of 109
You guys must be kidding. This was one boring turd of a movie and a waste of a blue ray rental. The wife and I looked at each other when it was over and couldn't believe we squandered a good rainy Sunday afternoon on that.
post #74 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

You guys must be kidding. This was one boring turd of a movie and a waste of a blue ray rental. The wife and I looked at each other when it was over and couldn't believe we squandered a good rainy Sunday afternoon on that.

Taste: not available in RedBox.
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

You guys must be kidding. This was one boring turd of a movie and a waste of a blue ray rental. The wife and I looked at each other when it was over and couldn't believe we squandered a good rainy Sunday afternoon on that.

John le Carré is not for all tastes so I understand that some may not like this film. It is a quiet and introspective character study, which demands considerable concentration. Some viewers, legitimately, simply don't want to invest that much effort in a piece of popular entertainment, but for those of us who love John le Carré and this film the effort was more than worthwhile.
post #76 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Taste: not available in RedBox.

Yes sir, very true.

BTW if you liked that movie you'll get a real jolt from my extensive collection of tartan cloth swatches. Very complex patterns that will entertain you for hours. I can send you a blue ray recording of them complete with Dolby True HD sound track if you like.
post #77 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

Yes sir, very true.

BTW if you liked that movie you'll get a real jolt from my extensive collection of tartan cloth swatches. Very complex patterns that will entertain you for hours. I can send you a blue ray recording of them complete with Dolby True HD sound track if you like.

What exactly didn't you like about it.
The small accuracies in depicting 70s era UK? The dense realism of what the secret service is actually like ?

Or the lack of car chases and exposions?
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickibod View Post

I saw film in theatres twice (on 2k digital projection, mind you), and I can tell you that the transfer is staggeringly close to what I saw, and about as good as I could possibly have expected a 1080p transfer to be.

Transfer is excellent in my opinion. Wonderfully evocative photography , beautifully lit, very atmospheric. Pearls before swine I think.
post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

What exactly didn't you like about it.

No scenery, no surround sound, no sex, unintelligible dialogue, nothing funny, no soundtrack, no action, no special effects, gratuitious confusion, 20 shades of brownish gray and yes, not a single explosion. I could go on.

While I have to admit that watching Gary Oldman's expressionless staring was riveting, it just didn't have what any movie needs IMO.
post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

What exactly didn't you like about it.
The small accuracies in depicting 70s era UK? The dense realism of what the secret service is actually like ?

Or the lack of car chases and exposions?

As I am sure you have now figured out from another response to your post, it's always a mistake to feed the trolls.
post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

20 shades of brownish gray.

Thats funny, one of the directors earlier movie was "Four shades of brown".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342636/
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As I am sure you have now figured out from another response to your post, it's always a mistake to feed the trolls.

Hmmm, an opinion that's contradictory must be from a troll by default.

It's an open discussion forum if I'm not mistaken..
post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Thats funny, one of the directors earlier movie was "Four shades of brown".

That is funny. I honestly didn't know that.
post #84 of 109
Finally will get a chance to watch this on Tuesday. Re watched the trailer looks good.
post #85 of 109
Even though I liked the movie.
I will not re-watch this movie until I really feel up to it.

So I can definately see why people get dissapointed (especially in regard to the pace) which is what I tell my friends when they ask about it.
See it at home with coffee at hand and make sure you can concentrate even though the rather slow pace
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally will get a chance to watch this on Tuesday. Re watched the trailer looks good.

Frank -- As you know, I am a huge LeCarre fan and I loved this film so much, I added the BD to my selective collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

Even though I liked the movie.
I will not re-watch this movie until I really feel up to it.

So I can definately see why people get dissapointed (especially in regard to the pace) which is what I tell my friends when they ask about it.
See it at home with coffee at hand and make sure you can concentrate even though the rather slow pace

LeCarre's stuff is dense and there isn't much action, so reactions like yours are perfectly understandable. I hope you do try Tinker Tailor again, though. It's the sort of story that gets better upon a second viewing and better than that upon a third viewing.
post #87 of 109
To each his own. I like mindless, passive entertainment as much as the next guy but not all the time and not with every movie. And that doesn't mean this isn't a good movie.

This is a different kind of movie. It requires effort and some intelligence to understand. I suspect it may require several viewings to fully appreciate. It's somewhat like The Secret in Their Eyes which is a foreign language film that requires concentration and several viewings to completely appreciate and is now one of my favorite movies.
post #88 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectionist2 View Post

to each his own. I like mindless, passive entertainment as much as the next guy but not all the time and not with every movie. And that doesn't mean this isn't a good movie.

This is a different kind of movie. It requires effort and some intelligence to understand. I suspect it may require several viewings to fully appreciate. It's somewhat like the secret in their eyes which is a foreign language film that requires concentration and several viewings to completely appreciate and is now one of my favorite movies.

+10000
post #89 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I hope you do try Tinker Tailor again, though. It's the sort of story that gets better upon a second viewing and better than that upon a third viewing.

I will definately see it again, just not right now
post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

I will definately see it again, just not right now

I hear you. Tinker Tailor is typical of LeCarre's work, dark and filled with regret. One has to pick his spots when watching such films.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy