or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › American Pie 1-3 Box Set
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

American Pie 1-3 Box Set

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
.
post #2 of 65
AP2 looked like shite on DVHS, it was soooo noisy (note: not grainy, but noisy). The DNR machine will be working overtime for this Blu release, and they may as well throw in some EE for good measure. I love Universal.
post #3 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

AP2 looked like shite on DVHS, it was soooo noisy (note: not grainy, but noisy). The DNR machine will be working overtime for this Blu release, and they may as well throw in some EE for good measure. I love Universal.

Yep it always had that poor look at home
post #4 of 65
The first film looks very dark for a teen comedy.

Not sure if it was a photographic choice or not, or if its a symptom of a poor transfer, but whatever, I am sure Universal will crank up the contrast + EE + sharpening for this one.
post #5 of 65
Yeah, it seems all three were completed messed up for home viewing....I expect nothing different for the BD versions with Universal.
post #6 of 65
Why is Universal's catalogue department so agressively cruel?
post #7 of 65
Thread Starter 
US details in the OP
post #8 of 65
We'll just have to wait to see if they surprise us with quality transfers.
post #9 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

We'll just have to wait to see if they surprise us with quality transfers.

post #10 of 65
And it's still just £13.99 at play? Nice. Even though these will look like ass, that's a cracking price.
post #11 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

And it's still just £13.99 at play? Nice. Even though these will look like ass, that's a cracking price.

I caved on JP due to the low price at the time and may on these but BTTF I am still a hold out for some reason! Damn you Universal!!!
post #12 of 65
Are the Universal discs usually region-free - or is it hit-and-miss with them? I still haven't seen a US box set announced, just the separate titles.
post #13 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Are the Universal discs usually region-free - or is it hit-and-miss with them? I still haven't seen a US box set announced, just the separate titles.

They are indeed
post #14 of 65
Definitely purchasing these.
post #15 of 65
I'm in the minority, but I liked the first two movies of this series...brain dead, predictable nonsense, but eh, I found them funny! I WANT them on Blu Ray but have had no problems skipping crappy PQ efforts...I'll wait for the reviews of the US release but am not expecting to purchase them. C'mon Universal, surprise me.....lol...yeah, right.
post #16 of 65
For anyone in the states - Amazon UK currently has the set for just under $23 US shipped.
post #17 of 65
If you have the DVDs, I would suggest watching them first before committing to a Blu-ray purchase. I made the mistake of picking up Something About Mary on Blu-ray without having seen the movie since the DVD came out. My wife had never seen it and I was talking it up quite a bit. Wow, it did not hold up at all IMO. The whole time I felt embarrassed - it was slow and not nearly as funny as I remembered. In fact, not really funny at all. I actually regret my bargain bin purchase.

With the exception of the Sean William Scott or Eugene Levy scenes, I don't think any of the AP films are going to hold up well. Something to consider...
post #18 of 65
Dude, American Pie is one of my all time favourite films, it was on the TV the other week, so I did a little Googling and found this page.

I can remember when I used to drink to the film, its an awesome movie to do it to: American Pie Drinking Game

Think I am going to buy them, but I want the box set with all of them. I think there is around 8 now? And the new one is coming out soon.
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

If you have the DVDs, I would suggest watching them first before committing to a Blu-ray purchase. I made the mistake of picking up Something About Mary on Blu-ray without having seen the movie since the DVD came out. My wife had never seen it and I was talking it up quite a bit. Wow, it did not hold up at all IMO. The whole time I felt embarrassed - it was slow and not nearly as funny as I remembered. In fact, not really funny at all. I actually regret my bargain bin purchase.

With the exception of the Sean William Scott or Eugene Levy scenes, I don't think any of the AP films are going to hold up well. Something to consider...

For me most comedies are like jokes - they may be incredibly funny the first time, but not nearly so much the second + time around. I loved Something About Mary in the theater. I haven't seen it since and rented the BD when it came out and yeah, doesn't do it for me anymore. I chuckled at my fave scenes - Franks & Beans, the rest stop & interrogation, and the little dog catching on fire, but the rest was all just mediocre filling.

But I have AP 1-3 on DVD. I still like them, but man are they a mess on DVD. My Oppo BDP83 can do 24fps for DVD, and on quality made DVDs - Disney & Warner - it gives them a terrific natural film like look. But I couldn't believe how horrible AP looked - it looked like blotchy 3D the edge enhancement & DNR was so heavy handed. Universal usually baked that into the master, and I'm sure Universal will use even more digital magic trying to cover it up rather than spend a little extra and do new masters.
post #20 of 65
Thread Starter 
American Pie 2





post #21 of 65
Bleah. About what I expected from Universal. An old DVD master crapped out onto a BD.
post #22 of 65
post #23 of 65
Yep, those are rough...as expected.
post #24 of 65
Not exactly the best part of the film to showcase what the transfer truly has to offer, to be fair, but those shots do look rather lifeless.
post #25 of 65
With the exception of the sky being completely pink... what did they use? A 1K scan? LOL
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

With the exception of the sky being completely pink, I'm shocked that they look as good as they do. Doesn't look like they've been filtered at all... but what did they use? A 1K scan? LOL

Those are definitely the old HD production masters. If memory serves me correctly, these were gonna be put out on HD-DVD several years ago, so I am not surprised that they look as bad as they do given Universal's policy of recycling back then. Given how iconic the films are and the pending 4K/QFHD format, they are due for a fresh transfer from the negative.
post #27 of 65
Dude, if they won't spring for fresh scans for the likes of Jurassic Park and BTTF, the "iconic" (really?) American Pie flicks rate a snowball's chance in hell of having any new transfers done.

Universal just plain don't give a ****.
post #28 of 65
Anyone know if the UK version with all three movies in a box set will be the Unrated versions?
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by salrmrcrey View Post

Anyone know if the UK version with all three movies in a box set will be the Unrated versions?

Yes they will be Unrated. No word if it will also include the theatrical cut like the US movies though.
post #30 of 65
Anyone confirm of the BD of the first film has the deleted scenes on it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › American Pie 1-3 Box Set