or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bullitt Home Theater - Page 2

post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Planning on having Kids? imagine not being able to watch a good flick because Junior needs to go to bed at 8. Wife not feeling well? then don't plan on relaxing in the theater. Wife not interested in the latest action flick and wants to read a book? Trust me soundproofing is good investment if you plan on staying in this house over 5 years.

definitely the one thing I regret not doing. Everything BIG noted is important is true. Before I had kids and now with kids it is all the same, I have to be careful with sound management. I have no idea what my theater can really do because I never get to crank it. And even the few times I have, it is only for a few minutes for a demo. If I could do it again, it would be a key area of focus worth the added expense.
post #32 of 91
Thread Starter 
Thanks! We really love the feel of it too. They are doing this dirt build for about 90/sf. That, of course, doesn't include all the SF in the garage. It's a bit more than that now with some adders but housing in Houston is really competitive. Funniest thing is everyone stops and comes in to look at the garage and our builder is evidently getting a ton of flack from his customers as to why he didn't tell them he could do that for them when they built. Hey, you gotta ask, right?
post #33 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

definitely the one thing I regret not doing. Everything BIG noted is important is true. Before I had kids and now with kids it is all the same, I have to be careful with sound management. I have no idea what my theater can really do because I never get to crank it. And even the few times I have, it is only for a few minutes for a demo. If I could do it again, it would be a key area of focus worth the added expense.

All the kids are grown and have run away to lives of their own. Not an issue until grandchildren. Even then, those will only be visits. My wife likes it louder than I do so that won't be a problem! My Gretsch Hollow Body connected to the Fender amp in the game room will be much more noise-intrusive than the HT room. Especially with me playing it. And if it becomes an issue, that sound isolation upgrade can be retrofitted. Maybe another layer of wall board and some green glue to hold it there.
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Maybe another layer of wall board and some green glue to hold it there.

Green Glue doesn't have any adhesive properties. It won't hold the second layer of drywall. Instead you need to attach it with screws just like any other sheet.
post #35 of 91
Thread Starter 
Thus the name glue? You can tell I'm new at this. I haven't even researched sound isolation since I don't really think it will be a necessity. I'd have probably figured that out you need screws shortly after attempting to attaching the first sheet without them...
post #36 of 91
Not a problem. It is rather confusing when you see it without knowing exactly what the product is.
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Thus the name glue? You can tell I'm new at this. I haven't even researched sound isolation since I don't really think it will be a necessity. I'd have probably figured that out you need screws shortly after attempting to attaching the first sheet without them...

Better name would have been, in hindsight, "Theater Guacamole"
post #38 of 91
I personally like Flubber, but that is already copyrighted.
post #39 of 91
Thread Starter 
Having just moved to Texas, Guac is a very familiar concept.
post #40 of 91
I've said this many times, They really missed an opportunity by not calling the product Green Goo.
post #41 of 91
Thread Starter 
Bigmouth, I took a look at your build thread. I love the Gray theme. Right now mine is being painted a deep red but on the next round Gray is going to get a good chance. Really nice HT.
post #42 of 91
Thread Starter 
They finished the bricking. Even did some things we weren't expecting like the brick patio area between the "guard house/Portico" and the front door.










All this just to protect a home theater...

Thanks for looking!
post #43 of 91
Thread Starter 
We close on the house on the 30th. Theater to open soon.
post #44 of 91
Thread Starter 
We are in the house and trying to get some order to our lives again. I've acquired the first component. The most important thing too!! The Popcorn Machine. A housewarming gift from our daughter from Great Northern Popcorn Company.
post #45 of 91
Sweet,....thanks for sharing.


Best of luck...
post #46 of 91
Thread Starter 
Visited jautor's HT last night with the wifer. All I can say is it was freaking awesome. Mine will never be that nice, but at least I have a point of reference as to what is possible. His 136" Carada Scope screen was not too big at the same seating distance I'm seeing. It was very bright even on normal in 2D. I have no apprehension the 6010 I'm looking at will have any problem with a screen that size in 3D. The angle off the screen wasn't a problem either. Even at 11ft from the screen, standing against the wall, the other side of the screen was easily view-able with no appreciable brightness loss. The best thing is, while sitting there watching the Fifth Element my wife goes, "Have you ordered you stuff yet?". Get's no better than that! THANKS!! Jaunter for your help and hospitality. You should be proud of your HT project.
post #47 of 91
Thread Starter 
It's done... Equipment purchased from AVS on Friday. Went with the JVC RS-55 projector and the Carada 136" Screen. The 55 was more expensive but eliminated a number of compromises I was going to have to deal with using the Epson projectors. I'm pretty sure the 55 will lamp this screen because Jaunter's JVC 50 looked great on the same one when I visited his place last week.
I will order seats later this week. Just trying to sort out some selection on those. Any suggestions of manufacturer, model and/or supplier would be appreciated. Now we're getting somewhere...
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Aw man, you sold it! Was it the original 2001?

I'm an original owner of an '01 black Bullitt.
'"Slightly" modified. Running the 1/4 mile in 9.3seconds at 152mph. Still totally street legal.

It's also good to have the Bullitt movie as the basis of the HT them.
The other up side of the new house build will be the custom garage. The Bullitt will be very happy with it's new digs.

Sorry to bring this back up, but you I just came acoss your thread. I just bought a 2012 Mustang and have done a couple of mods (exhaust, programmer). This thing amazes me every day but I absolutely couldn't imagine a 9.3 second daily driver. I know its off topic, but have you had it dyno'd? I live in Beaumont, and I would love to run our cars even though you'll smoke me. Nice house by the way!
post #49 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Sorry to bring this back up, but you I just came acoss your thread. I just bought a 2012 Mustang and have done a couple of mods (exhaust, programmer). This thing amazes me every day but I absolutely couldn't imagine a 9.3 second daily driver. I know its off topic, but have you had it dyno'd? I live in Beaumont, and I would love to run our cars even though you'll smoke me. Nice house by the way!

It's dynoed at 750 wheel. The new 5.0 Coyote motor is awesome. A couple of bolt-ons a good tune and drag radial and you could be running low 12s. As far as running the cars, the only place I would do that is at the track. Running a car with that HP flat-out on the street is just looking for trouble in many ways. Remember, it's doing 153mph at the end of the quarter mile and any loss of traction getting there, is a really bad thing. Then there's dogs, kids, cops, birds, pot-holes, loose gravel just to name a few things that can really ruin your day. I only push it on the track.
Right now the car is still in Jacksonville where we just moved from. I'll be over to get it in a few weeks along with the remainder of our belongings. After that, we could certainly meet at one of the tracks somewhere. I'm always looking for an excuse to run it and if you've never made a pass at a track, you will have a blast. I have an NHRA License and would be happy to instruct. Warning, it's very addicting. Mustang Crack, I can assure you.
post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

It's dynoed at 750 wheel. The new 5.0 Coyote motor is awesome. A couple of bolt-ons a good tune and drag radial and you could be running low 12s. As far as running the cars, the only place I would do that is at the track. Running a car with that HP flat-out on the street is just looking for trouble in many ways. Remember, it's doing 153mph at the end of the quarter mile and any loss of traction getting there, is a really bad thing. Then there's dogs, kids, cops, birds, pot-holes, loose gravel just to name a few things that can really ruin your day. I only push it on the track.
Right now the car is still in Jacksonville where we just moved from. I'll be over to get it in a few weeks along with the remainder of our belongings. After that, we could certainly meet at one of the tracks somewhere. I'm always looking for an excuse to run it and if you've never made a pass at a track, you will have a blast. I have an NHRA License and would be happy to instruct. Warning, it's very addicting. Mustang Crack, I can assure you.

Oh no I would never race a couple of hybrids on the street, much less these 2 cars. I'm prefer to spend my money on cars and home theaters, not racing tickets. I'll keep in touch. I've never ran it at a track and I would love a lesson or 2.
post #51 of 91
Thread Starter 
Awesome. I'll keep in touch with you and let you know when I get the car over here. Would love to help you at the track!
post #52 of 91
Thread Starter 
Well, AVS shipped everything last Monday in 2 boxes. One with the Projector and one with the 3D glasses I ordered. The box with the 3D glasses showed up today but UPS is showing it was scheduled for delivery on Monday. The projector is now showing delivery scheduled for Wednesday. The Carada Screen coming motor freight is actually going to beat the projector here. I freaking swear UPS is turning into the post office. I think all the SEIU employees that the government's laid off are now at UPS.
Thanks. I needed to vent.
post #53 of 91
Thread Starter 
Looks like the Carada Screen and the Projector will arrive today. Wahoooooo.... Looks like some installation time will be invested tonight.
post #54 of 91
Fair warning, if you post, "IT'S HERE," but don't post pictures, no one will believe you
post #55 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Fair warning, if you post, "IT'S HERE," but don't post pictures, no one will believe you

LOL... Yes, this seems to strike me as what I refer to as a "Missouri Forum". AKA, the Show Me state. Lot's of people wanting empirical evidence of statements. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also pleased to discover you can't post "Bose" and "Good" in the same thread. Also a positive thing IMHO.
post #56 of 91
Thread Starter 
Got my JVC 55 mounted along with my Carada 136" BW Scope Screen. Watched Fifth Element and Ghost Protocol last night. Let's just say I'm extremely impressed. Color, contrast, sharpness, are all very good right out of the box. Even in Nomral lamp mode it was plenty bright on that screen in Scope format and no anamorphic lens. We were only sitting 11ft away and it looked extremely smooth too. I think I've made some great choices with the help of the members here!

Now we need seats, swap the 600 for the 800 series B&Ws, some sound dampening and a few other details. Coming together though!
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Got my JVC 55 mounted along with my Carada 136" BW Scope Screen. Watched Fifth Element and Ghost Protocol last night. Let's just say I'm extremely impressed. Color, contrast, sharpness, are all very good right out of the box. Even in Nomral lamp mode it was plenty bright on that screen in Scope format and no anamorphic lens. We were only sitting 11ft away and it looked extremely smooth too. I think I've made some great choices with the help of the members here!

Now we need seats, swap the 600 for the 800 series B&Ws, some sound
dampening and a few other details. Coming together though!

We've only seen pictures of drywall in the theater. You have a projector hung and are talking about seats already? Where are the theater pictures?
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Fair warning, if you post, "IT'S HERE," but don't post pictures, no one will believe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

We've only seen pictures of drywall in the theater. You have a projector hung and are talking about seats already? Where are the theater pictures?

Not one to say, "I told you so," but, well, I did
post #59 of 91
Thread Starter 
The pictures are rather unimpressive at this point but here ya go. Please no comments on my $20 Home Depot equipment rack...









And the finished and landscaped house...
post #60 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Not one to say, "I told you so," but, well, I did

Man, were you correct!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home