or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › I need help with Home Theater Speaker options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need help with Home Theater Speaker options

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
A few years ago I purchased a Sony HDX576WF see the specs here, I realized I needed a better setup so I got a Sony STRDN1010 Receiver. I then got my hands on some Polk Audio T15 speakers.

My question is do I use the speakers from the Sony Home Theater system with my new reciever? or do I use the Polk T15 speakers.

If the answer is to go with the Polk speakers, I am planning on getting maybe a Polk center channel speaker.
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post

A few years ago I purchased a Sony HDX576WF see the specs here, I realized I needed a better setup so I got a Sony STRDN1010 Receiver. I then got my hands on some Polk Audio T15 speakers.

My question is do I use the speakers from the Sony Home Theater system with my new reciever? or do I use the Polk T15 speakers.

If the answer is to go with the Polk speakers, I am planning on getting maybe a Polk center channel speaker.

I would use the polk speakers and get a polk center to go with them
post #3 of 16
Did you buy one or two pairs of the Polk T15 speakers? If only one pair get the Polk Monitor 30 for $80/pr and CS1 center from Newegg and use the T15s as surrounds.

That'll give you nice improvement over your old Sony system.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I would use the polk speakers and get a polk center to go with them

Is the polk speakers that much better than the speakers from the home theater system or is it along with the combination of the new receiver? From looking at the specs it seems as if the home theater speakers are better.

I also admit that I have no clue what the specs mean and I'm new to all this stuff.
post #5 of 16
Those Sony speakers have a single full range driver. They're crappy. And the old receiver isn't very good either.
So it is a combo of a better receiver and much better speakers.

Get the monitor 30 for $80 and CS1 for $60 and you'll have a nice starter setup.

Your HTIB speakers are 3 ohm and won't work well with your new system. I don't recommend using them at all.

Sell your old system.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Those Sony speakers have a single full range driver. They're crappy. And the old receiver isn't very good either.
So it is a combo of a better receiver and much better speakers.

Get the monitor 30 for $80 and CS1 for $60 and you'll have a nice starter setup.

+1

You'll get much better sound from these.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Those Sony speakers have a single full range driver. They're crappy. And the old receiver isn't very good either.
So it is a combo of a better receiver and much better speakers.

Get the monitor 30 for $80 and CS1 for $60 and you'll have a nice starter setup.

Your HTIB speakers are 3 ohm and won't work well with your new system. I don't recommend using them at all.

Sell your old system.

I found these for a great price at a local retailer http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-SS-F6...oofer/14006053 and http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-8-Thr...F5000/12687962

are those better options than the polk monitor 30?
post #8 of 16
The Sony speakers you listed are floor standing speakers whereas the Polk Monitor 30's are bookshelf speakers. If you go with those Sony speakers, you'll need to get a Sony center as well. Please check the Sony Speakers on Amazon.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

The Sony speakers you listed are floor standing speakers whereas the Polk Monitor 30's are bookshelf speakers. If you go with those Sony speakers, you'll need to get a Sony center as well. Please check the Sony Speakers on Amazon.

Thanks for the response and I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions. I don't think I phrased the last question properly so let me try again.

The room is 16feet by 14 feet and I sit exactly 9 feet from the television. I already have a sony subwoofer that I think is pretty good. We listen to music and watch TV + Bluray a lot.

generally speaking are floorstanding a better option for me than bookshelf? and if you need more specifics its the Polk Monitor 30 bookshelf vs the Sony SS-F6000 floorstanding.

Space is not an issue, I have room on both sides for a floorstanding or bookshelf on stands.
post #10 of 16
If you have room for floor standing's, I would go with either the Polk Monitor 60's or 70's.

Polk Speakers on Newegg

Please do the price checks on both Amazon and Newegg.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

If you have room for floor standing's, I would go with either the Polk Monitor 60's or 70's.

Polk Speakers on Newegg

Please do the price checks on both Amazon and Newegg.

+1

Newegg appears to have the Polk 70s on special for one more day. Best to jump on it if you want a good speaker at a great price.
post #12 of 16
The sony speakers are fine, but if you can get the polk speakers at a reduced cost, I would do that.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

The sony speakers are fine, but if you can get the polk speakers at a reduced cost, I would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

The sony speakers are fine, but if you can get the polk speakers at a reduced cost, I would do that.

So depending on the budget after I take care of everyone for christmas my first choice is to get the

Polk Audio RM8 for Center
Polk Monitor 6 for left/right
and use the Polk T15 for Surround for now even thought I would prefer something smaller

If the budget is tight I'll get the Sony SS-F700

The wife is trying to throw a monkey wrench into the plans by suggesting the Bose 201 Series because she thinks they look sexy. Can somebody give some insight about the Bose 201 speakers so I can rule them out now?
post #14 of 16
The rm8 would not be the good center for the monitor 60's I would look at the Polk cs2 as that is the matching center.

As for Polk speakers sign up to the newegg.com email alerts as they are constantly putting the Polk monitor series ii on sale at prices better than amazon does on the series i. For example the monitor 60's series ii recently were on sale for $200 a pair. Newegg sale prices are amazing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ies+ii&x=0&y=0

Bose speakers have horrible build quality and over priced. The 201's sound horrible. All your paying for is the Bose name. A minute demo at best buy with Polk tsi100(identical to monitor 30's) versus the Bose speakers they have will blow your mind the sound difference. Tell your wife you buy speakers for good sound as that's their job, not to look good
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

The rm8 would not be the good center for the monitor 60's I would look at the Polk cs2 as that is the matching center.

As for Polk speakers sign up to the newegg.com email alerts as they are constantly putting the Polk monitor series ii on sale at prices better than amazon does on the series i. For example the monitor 60's series ii recently were on sale for $200 a pair. Newegg sale prices are amazing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ies+ii&x=0&y=0

Bose speakers have horrible build quality and over priced. The 201's sound horrible. All your paying for is the Bose name. A minute demo at best buy with Polk tsi100(identical to monitor 30's) versus the Bose speakers they have will blow your mind the sound difference. Tell your wife you buy speakers for good sound as that's their job, not to look good

+1

I would also get the CS2 for center. I would also forget about the Bose speakers.
post #16 of 16
I would also suggest staying away from the Bose mainly because you can find speakers that cost 1/3 of what you would pay for the Bose that sound way better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › I need help with Home Theater Speaker options