or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › AMP Recommendation for M&K S-5000's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMP Recommendation for M&K S-5000's

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi Folks,

I've been powering my THX S-5000's (LRC) and S-150 surrounds with, uhhmm, errr, a DSP-A1 for the past 8-9 years and with a new TV upgrade and the advent of HDMI everywhere I am thinking of going separates. I am looking for AMP recommendations from others who may have a similar setup or past experiences. I'd like THIS piece of equipment to last more than 5-10 years so don't mind spending a few more bucks, say up to $5K.

thanx for any help,

evan
-
post #2 of 14
http://www.d-sonic.net/

These are amazing amps and incredibly efficient, no fan and stay cool.
I have the 525 x 3 and it has been dependable, going on 4 years.
post #3 of 14
Give us a call.
Reply
Reply
post #4 of 14
The M&K S-5000's were tested with bryston 7b monoblocks if that means anything to you.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yes, however the Bryston 7b AMP's are a "tad" above my budget. Unless I want to power just the center.

Thanx for the suggestion though, maybe in another ten years I could afford them.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
OK am thinking of purchasing a used Bryston 9bst. Without an audition does anyone think that this would make any significant improvement over my DSP-A1?
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjc View Post

OK am thinking of purchasing a used Bryston 9bst. Without an audition does anyone think that this would make any significant improvement over my DSP-A1?

Don't do it as these love more power. The best I have heard mine with was with a Gemstone amp which is copying Sim audio aurora. My Ada MPA 500 and sherbourn monster amps are better than the 9b IMHO of course. Look for used Ada gear as they usually are cheap and work great! I have owned lots of M&K as I have S-5000's and S-90's sitting around now. That is why my name is MK because of the 5000's. Here would be my choices for the 5000's in order.

1. Sim audio Titan
2. gemstone blue diamond if you can find one
3. Ada MPA 500 or 501 again if you can find one
4. Sherbourn 2100/7
post #8 of 14
If your going to invest so much money on it I'd checkout a cheaper digital solution just for the hell of it. You could always sell it off it you don't like it.

The ClassD Audio SDS-254 is a nice amp and each module is $245 bucks. I'd get five modules and run them in bridge mode with the Audio Power DPS-500/S on each module. True digital monoblocks that will give you enough juice to drive just about anything including a rock concert! 500W 8ohms

I'd also consider the Audio Power DXA-400 when it comes out. If your not into DIY both outfits will put an amp together for you with a nice looking chassis.

BTW what modules are Dennis Deacon using Wrager? Prob ye old/standard 500A ICE module. The International Rectifier part sounds better IMHO.

If digital isn't your thing evanjc you could checkout C-10SE from Audio-Gd. It's $1400 bucks for two channels but shipping from China might be killer. Pacific Valve brings them in.

It's TROPHY HiFi on the cheap! $700 bucks a channel



Cheap digital amps for fun and experimentation at about $250 a channel (including PSU costs).


And if your REALLY CHEAP like ME! You could use L15D modules at... GET THIS... $30 bucks a channel (including PSU)!

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

If your going to invest so much money on it I'd checkout a cheaper digital solution just for the hell of it.

The ClassD Audio SDS-254 is a nice amp and each module is $245 bucks. I'd get five modules and run them in bridge mode with the Audio Power DPS-500/S. That will give you enough juice to drive just about anything including a rock concert! 500W 8ohms

I'd also consider the Audio Power DXA-400 when it comes out. If your not into DIY both outfits will put an amp together for you with a nice looking chassis.

BTW what modules are Dennis Deacon using Wrager?

If digital isn't your thing evanjc you could checkout C-10SE from Audio-Gd. It's $1400 bucks for two channels but shipping from China might be killer. Pacific Valve brings them in.

That sherbourn could be had for under $1000 used and so could the Ada amps. Both have awesome engineers who developed them. I bought my sherbourn for $900 shipped and t weighs 115 pounds. 7 monoblocks with dual power chords to utilize all the power, very well built amp! Ugly though but I have a rack in another room.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

That sherbourn could be had for under $1000 used and so could the Ada amps. Both have awesome engineers who developed them. I bought my sherbourn for $900 shipped and t weighs 115 pounds. 7 monoblocks with dual power chords to utilize all the power, very well built amp! Ugly though but I have a rack in another room.

Yeah that's a NICE AMP for sure and what a great score!

BUT

I'd pit those digital units against it or Kingwa's unit!

BTW MKtheater both Sherwood and Outlaw Audio use the same THIRD PARTY engineering house to AID build/design/engineer their equipment for/with them.

Don't get me wrong! I'm a big fan of their stuff! I've directly and indirectly purchased the RR2150 "Retro Receiver" for customers. I really like it and it even includes a decent enough USB DAC. I use those with Squeezebox for different audio zones like an office system. It has Bass Management and a low pass that works great for 2.1 architectural sub integration.

It's really worked out well for that purpose and customers seem to like the looks and easy functioning of it. Though they mostly use iPad through vortexbox as a frontend or I use Zotac Nano PCs running XBMC and then use the built in USB DAC.

PS once squeezeslave came out I stopped buying Logitech hardware. I can use a third party DAC with that driver!!! DONATE MONEY to that guy if you can!
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


Yeah that's a NICE AMP for sure and what a great score!

BUT

I'd pit those digital units against it or Kingwa's unit!

BTW MKtheater both Sherwood and Outlaw Audio use the same THIRD PARTY engineering house to AID build/design/engineer their equipment for/with them.

Don't get me wrong! I'm a big fan of their stuff! I've directly and indirectly purchased the RR2150 "Retro Receiver" for customers. I really like it and it even includes a decent enough USB DAC. I use those with Squeezebox for different audio zones like an office system. It has Bass Management and a low pass that works great for 2.1 architectural sub integration.

It's really worked out well for that purpose and customers seem to like the looks and easy functioning of it. Though they mostly use iPad through vortexbox as a frontend or I use Zotac Nano PCs running XBMC and then use the built in USB DAC.

PS once squeezeslave came out I stopped buying Logitech hardware. I can use a third party DAC with that driver!!! DONATE MONEY to that guy if you can!

This is not Sherwood, it is sherbourn and the guy you started the company was the head engineer at McIntosh for many years. Many confuse the two. I think they had the processor made from the same people as Sunfire but the amp I am talking about is their baby.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

This is not Sherwood, it is sherbourn and the guy you started the company was the head engineer at McIntosh for many years. Many confuse the two. I think they had the processor made from the same people as Sunfire but the amp I am talking about is their baby.


OOPS!!!

I stand corrected MKtheater! I know who/what your talking about now!

WHAT A SCORE!
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


OOPS!!!

I stand corrected MKtheater! I know who/what your talking about now!

WHAT A SCORE!

That is the best used amp I can think of. My FP10000Q clones one awesome amp as well but I don't know how the higher frequencies are handled. I know the low end is world class! For slightly under a grand delivered and 2100 watts x 4 is o e helluva an amp. Again, there are risks and I have not tested it on main speakers. Used Ada gear is always a bang for buck too!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
By the time you both had replied the trigger had already been pulled. I think I got a pretty good price on the used Bryston 9bst and after talking with the Bryston folk am looking forward to its delivery. Thanx again for your replies and will keep your recommendations in mind should the 9bst prove inadequate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › AMP Recommendation for M&K S-5000's