or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mitsubishi HC1500 crashing PC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mitsubishi HC1500 crashing PC?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have my Mitsubishi HC1500 projector attached to my PC via HDMI cable. I've experienced repeated crashing (blue screen) of the PC, even after a re-install of Windows. I took the PC to be serviced and they found nothing wrong with it.

While the PC was in the shop, I borrowed my wife's PC and hooked it up to the Mitsubishi HC1500. Guess what? It crashed too (for the first time ever).

Could it be that the Mitsubishi HC1500 is crashing these computers? One computer is an HP running Windows XP, the other a newer Dell running Windows 7, but both seem to crash when connected to the Mitsubishi HC1500.

The PC repairman said it was unlikely (but possible) that the HC1500 is the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 7
VGA or HDMI interconnect?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

vga or hdmi interconnect?

hdmi.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingshu8 View Post

Could it be that the Mitsubishi HC1500 is crashing these computers?
One computer is an HP running Windows XP, the other a newer Dell running
Windows 7, but both seem to crash when connected to the Mitsubishi HC1500.

I don't see how an externally attached device (HDMI) could possibly cause
a PC to crash. Generally, a symptom like this is a defect in a device driver or
possibly the operating system itself.

However, if it happens in both XP and Win7, it may indicate the Mitsu. What
video adapters are in the two systems? If they're the same model, is it the
same driver version? Hardware version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingshu8 View Post

The PC repairman said it was unlikely (but possible) that the HC1500
is the problem.

That would be my first guess but I'm a programmer and not an EE. Have you
tried attaching the Mitsu to an non-PC source?
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

I don't see how an externally attached device (HDMI) could possibly cause
a PC to crash. Generally, a symptom like this is a defect in a device driver or
possibly the operating system itself.

However, if it happens in both XP and Win7, it may indicate the Mitsu. What
video adapters are in the two systems? If they're the same model, is it the
same driver version? Hardware version?

The XP has an Nvidia card, and the Win7 has an Ati card.

Both were connected to the Mitsu through the same HDMI cable. Right now I'm running an experiment by using a different HDMI cable to see if that stops the crashing. Could the computer be crashed by a defect in the cable? I don't know -- but replacing an HDMI cable would certainly be cheaper than getting a new projector :-((
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingshu8 View Post

The XP has an Nvidia card, and the Win7 has an Ati card.

That would seem to rule out the two PC's. I have over thirty years' programming
experience, but not much under Windows and not any in HDMI or multimedia:
That's my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingshu8 View Post

Could the computer be crashed by a defect in the cable?

I think your test eliminates software and PC hardware. Electrically, I don't
know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingshu8 View Post

but replacing an HDMI cable would certainly be cheaper than
getting a new projector

I agree. A secondary option might be an inexpensive HDMI switch in the line
if it could isolate the Mitsu and the PC. Maybe a tech or engineer has a better
idea.

Have you tried attaching the Mitsu directly to a source such as a DVD or
blu-ray disc player?

When you say your PC crashes, what happens? Do you get a BSOD or forced
reboot? Does the PC simply shut down as if it had lost power?
post #7 of 7
Based on the tests in this thread, I would say it's nearly impossible the projector is at fault. Possibly bad power, or more likely something in common, like antivirus software, between the two.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mitsubishi HC1500 crashing PC?