or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Improve my speakers? Cash in on an X-Mas deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Improve my speakers? Cash in on an X-Mas deal?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Hey guys I've got the setup listed below. I have invested $$$ into my TV & Receiver. I got my front speakers on deal last year after some help from AVS. My rear and sub are part of a HTIB that I got a few years ago. That being said, I would like to maximize my audio experience per my budget. I'm not an audiophile, but I figure I might as well take advantage of X-Mas deals if at all possible. My budget is $300.

TV: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD
RECEIVER: Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.1
FRONT: Energy C-100 (L/R) & C-C100 (C)
REAR & SUB: JBL SCS 180.6S

Thanks for your help!
post #2 of 29
That sub is very wimpy compared to what you can get for $300. To greatly improve the front speakers, you'd need to replace all three and spend some good money probably beyond your budget. I would put the $300 into the Klipsch RW-12D on sale for $300 (promo code EMCJHKJ65) or the BIC PL-200 at $250 (check to see if this special is still available). That would greatly enhance your HT experience.
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
THANKS ... Like I mentioned, I'm not an audiophile and my knowledge on the audio-side of things is little. So, this might be a dumb question, but why do you suggest an amp? What does it add to the overall sound?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

THANKS ... Like I mentioned, I'm not an audiophile and my knowledge on the audio-side of things is little. So, this might be a dumb question, but why do you suggest an amp? What does it add to the overall sound?

An amp? Those are subwoofers. I'm confused.
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

An amp? Those are subwoofers. I'm confused.

Sorry, I meant sub. Same questions, though.
post #6 of 29
It adds significant bass. There's a lot of good bass content in movies that HTIB sub you are using won't effectively be able to produce. If you want to "feel" the HT experience, you need a better sub.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

It adds significant bass. There's a lot of good bass content in movies that HTIB sub you are using won't effectively be able to produce. If you want to "feel" the HT experience, you need a better sub.

Does a sub benefit my front & rear speakers (ie in clarity, crispness, etc)? What about watching cable or other things without bass? Do I just notice the bass? I ask because you mentioned that my current bass was weak and my wife is not a fan of it as it is.
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
The above are $99 - worth it? Better than my Energy's? Or still go with a bass?
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Heck, if I got the JBL bookshelves, can they serve as my rear speakers?
post #11 of 29
Yes. You could use the JBL speakers as your rears.

I don't know which are better between the Energy or the JBLs. But if you replace the front L/R, you should replace the center, too, with the same series JBL. It's important to keep them the same for the front sound stage.

Maybe try the JBLs. If you like the sound a lot, get the matching center. If not, use them in the rear.
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yes. You could use the JBL speakers as your rears.

I don't know which are better between the Energy or the JBLs. But if you replace the front L/R, you should replace the center, too, with the same series JBL. It's important to keep them the same for the front sound stage.

Maybe try the JBLs. If you like the sound a lot, get the matching center. If not, use them in the rear.

I let the $99 deal pass. Maybe I should have jumped on it as the sub will be on deal later on as well.

It almost sounds like I'm back at Square 1. What is my best option? Sub? Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-5-C...=2J8I2QA4MK9KP
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Does a sub benefit my front & rear speakers (ie in clarity, crispness, etc)? What about watching cable or other things without bass? Do I just notice the bass? I ask because you mentioned that my current bass was weak and my wife is not a fan of it as it is.

That is the purpose of the subwoofer, to add lower frequencies to your system. This also allows your receiver to produce only the higher frequencies which will enable your speakers to sound better since they don't have to put out as much bass which can make them sound muffled.

It is highly recommended that you get a subwoofer.
post #14 of 29
Why are you looking at those Polk RM95 speakers? You don't even need them.

What you need is a better subwoofer and two have already have been pointed out to you.

Klipsch RW-12d for $299 after using promo code
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1ur2e9xjzaiou

BIC PL-200
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/62466

You don't need any more speakers, you need a better subwoofer if you want better bass!
post #15 of 29
Oh what a diff. a good sub makes.

I agree with the sub recommendation.

I've got Polks 70's and CS2 for the front stage in a 7.1 set up. They're even being amped for extra power driven.

My sub runs off a different circuit and the switch of off when not in use. When I forget to turn it on for a movie, the movie sounds pretty good, when I realize what I'm missing, I turn on the sub and presto, we're suddenly back in the "theater".

Of course I'm running an Empire on 1/4 volume but the aforementioned subs sound great for the set up at hand.
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
So a new sub it is ... Any other sub suggestions? What about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00166...A2ERWWPLDX80YE
post #17 of 29
Stick with the PL-200 or the RW-12D. Those are excellent deals. If you want to go cheaper, get the BIC F12. But the other two would be better choices.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Sorry to be so naive, but if I go with the PL-200 or RW-12D, I will hear a difference in my current speakers? I'll be getting more out of my Pioneer 1121? Will my current speakers be adequate (I know that's relative)?
post #19 of 29
Are your L/R speakers towers? Do you have them set to small? Setting them to small make a difference in how they sound. I didn't really believe it at first but I did some back to back comparisons with a CD, and taking the base out of the towers made a great difference in detail.

When you set them to small, the low frequencies are sent to your sub and relieves the F/R speakers of any low end duties. This sound about right to the others here?
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Are your L/R speakers towers? Do you have them set to small? Setting them to small make a difference in how they sound. I didn't really believe it at first but I did some back to back comparisons with a CD, and taking the base out of the towers made a great difference in detail.

When you set them to small, the low frequencies are sent to your sub and relieves the F/R speakers of any low end duties. This sound about right to the others here?

They are bookshelves, not towers.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...-100-overview/

Does this make a difference?
post #21 of 29
Not really, you'll set them to small even though they are small. With my receiver, I have the option to set them to "Full Band" which is equivelent to large.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Sorry to be so naive, but if I go with the PL-200 or RW-12D, I will hear a difference in my current speakers? I'll be getting more out of my Pioneer 1121? Will my current speakers be adequate (I know that's relative)?

You have a nice receiver. The sub will plug into the subwoofer out on the back and then set the crossover to 80hz (you can experiment beyond that). The sub will help the speakers by taking over some of the bass, in addition to how much lower lower bass you will get.

And certainly, at some point in the future you might want to upgrade your speakers with new L/R/C. But save up $600 or so and get something nice to go with that nice receiver.
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
So if I ordered the PL-200 sub, I will be fine on speakers? The sub takes care of the bass so that my speakers can handle the highs and produce better sound there? In the end, I'll be better off and can wait until I have more $$$ to upgrade my speakers?
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Why are you looking at those Polk RM95 speakers? You don't even need them.

What you need is a better subwoofer and two have already have been pointed out to you.

Klipsch RW-12d for $299 after using promo code
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1ur2e9xjzaiou

BIC PL-200
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/62466

You don't need any more speakers, you need a better subwoofer if you want better bass!

Which of these would you recommend? I do somewhere in the following:

TV/Blu Ray - 80%
Music - 20%
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

So if I ordered the PL-200 sub, I will be fine on speakers? The sub takes care of the bass so that my speakers can handle the highs and produce better sound there? In the end, I'll be better off and can wait until I have more $$$ to upgrade my speakers?

When I finally hooked up a subwoofer, my front speakers sounded so much clearer. Invest in a good subwoofer now, enjoy and upgrade other speakers later, you may already be happy with what you have.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Which of these would you recommend? I do somewhere in the following:

TV/Blu Ray - 80%
Music - 20%

Either sub will be a good value at those prices. If you are unsure, go with the PL-200 and save your money toward speakers
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Either sub will be a good value at those prices. If you are unsure, go with the PL-200 and save your money toward speakers

I really don't know much when it comes to audio. It's a $50 difference so I just want the better sub. I trust your recommendations.
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Probably a dumb question, but does the sub affect which speakers I get down the road?
post #29 of 29
Either sub would pair equally well with new speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Improve my speakers? Cash in on an X-Mas deal?